Blue Jays Discussion: Post Non-Waiver Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
These Jays prospects in Buffalo are so stupid man. First Danny Jansen needed a double for the cycle yesterday and instead hit a homerun, and today Teo Hernandez was in the same situation and di the same damn thing. Guys I know homeruns are easy, but cycles are fun :sarcasm:

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
Liriano had -0.5 WAR as a Jay and Grilli had -0.4 WAR. They had small blips last year and then were worse this year than they were good last year. Pearce is barely over replacement level as a corner outfielder. Leone has been a good bullpen arm.

This is not an impressive list of acquisitions.

They shouldn't have resigned Grilli this year. He was a very good piece last year and they gave up nothing for him. Lirano was very good last year. Obviously wasn't as good this year. However, they got Hernandez,for him and McGuire and Ramirez with the original trade. Besides Ramirez the two other prospects look good.

On the whole, their acquisitions haven't been spectacular, however, they haven't been horrible as well. I would say around average would be accurate.

Just because it's hard to get depth at those positions doesn't mean they somehow get credit when they don't do it. And no, it shouldn't have been hard to do better than the likes of Latos and Saltalamacchia as first-up depth.

I agree.

This management so far has done a whole lot of not much. They've protected the assets they've had in the farm system and drafted well based on early returns ... which is good. On the MLB squad, they've done nothing of significance aside from losing EE, and have generally made iffy-to-poor patchwork short-term moves for mediocre old players.

The team isn't in a position to make big moves though. They are in a transition phase. AA did a good job of building the prospect pool and at the right time traded them for Tulo etc. Now isn't the time to do those moves. This is a team that has declining pieces in important positions. They also have key pieces that are young on the team.

They have been rebuilding the farm system and making low risk moves. I am fine with it. It's not exciting but it is the right direction.

The MLB list has a catcher hitting .162 in rookie ball in the top 10, 6 spots ahead of Jansen. And has Hernandez and Pentecost WAY too high.

I place a value on being a likely MLB player very close to sticking. Ramirez looks like an extremely likely bet to be a quality bullpen arm next year. Zeuch - for whatever reason - isn't missing bats in A ball at age 22.

Of course starters have more value ... but when you're miles from MLB and struggling, I'll take the dominating reliever.

Thee MLB isn't perfect but it is a non bias list to compare what regime brought in the prospects instead of using our own lists.

You have a number of other posters saying they wouldn't put Ramirez in their top ten. Relievers are easy to get. Look at the Jays relievers now. Zeuch has tracked well when healthy. I have seen a lot of praise directed at him. A very high ground ball rate.

If Zeuch can't make it as a starter he could be a very good relief pitcher. If Ramirez can't make it as a reliever he's done.

The Jays prospect pool is very deep. Having a reliever that is going to be 27 in the top ten is ridiculous.

Last edited:

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
These Jays prospects in Buffalo are so stupid man. First Danny Jansen needed a double for the cycle yesterday and instead hit a homerun, and today Teo Hernandez was in the same situation and di the same damn thing. Guys I know homeruns are easy, but cycles are fun :sarcasm:

Kind of weird that happened back to back games. Hernandez has done better after his awful start with the Bisons. Still striking out a little too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->