Post-Game Talk: Post-mortem: Sabres 7, Devils 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

captainscott

Nov 5, 2007
Rooney and Hayden will probably both be back in.

Rooney for the PK.

Too bad we don't have a Dalton Prout on defense, or Hynes would probably wanna use him on Wednesday also.

And while we're at it, too bad we don't have a Kurtis Gabriel or Luke Gazdic to call up to use on Wednesday either.

well as you see the nhl is still a mans league.. and you actually need grown men in your lineup or you lose we are too small been saying it for 3 years.. and they re still too small...a couple guys is ok.. not a full lineup of them. and then the smallest defense in league to boot and crappy goaltending. not a well built team still isn't

captainscott

Nov 5, 2007
The problem is this looks fundamentally bad and it is going to take some time to fix and in the time it takes to fix we could already be out of a playoff spot...with an unsigned Hall no less. If this team falls too far behind by Thanksgiving catching up in this division will be impossible for this team.

I was actually expecting a rough start...I was advocating giving it 20 games before pushing the eject button...thinking you go something like 7-9-4 in the first 20 while making adjustments and gaining chemistry that is ok...but there seems to be deeper problems here. I know it is only two games but we looked like an AHL team in 4 out the last 6 periods.

we need better defenseman heavier forwards. better goalies and coaches. other than that we are fine

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
How was Boqvist in this one?

I thought he was one of a very few players that played a poised, smart game. Wasn't running around like a chicken with his head cut off. He didn't jump off the page at you, but he wasn't noticeable in a bad way, either. He had some nice chances and was actually decent in the defensive zone. Unfortunately I think that is because Hynes hasn't had the chance to coach that out of him yet. Eventually he will just aimlessly and wildly chase the puck around like the rest of the team.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
If I didn’t know anybody better, I could’ve sworn I was watching one of the teams in my beer league. The defensive coverage in our own zone was Benny Hill’esq. It’s not normal for NHL players to look this bad and this lost. They were caught puck watching all night long and they were running around everywhere instead of just holding their positions.

This team is filled with finesse players who’s main focus is to put up pts and aren’t all that interested in anything else. It’s just 2 games and it won’t define his career but Hughes looks god awful. The kid isn’t ready to handle the workload of a top #6 NHL center. It’s a good thing that all of our other centers are very solid defensively cause Jack has to play wing until he understands the responsibilities he has when playing down the middle.

As for our defence, we need a legit defender, ASAP. We’re relying on Greene to cover Subban, Butcher and Vats are both offensively oriented and the Severson-Mueller pairing is nothing short of a nightmare.

When you have to play Severson on your PK, you know you need help with your blue line.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Vintage Pavel Zacha performance

EGKQisFXoAAx4im

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
If I didn’t know anybody better, I could’ve sworn I was watching one of the teams in my beer league. The defensive coverage in our own zone was Benny Hill’esq. It’s not normal for NHL players to look this bad and this lost. They were caught puck watching all night long and they were running around everywhere instead of just holding their positions.

This team is filled with finesse players who’s main focus is to put up pts and aren’t all that interested in anything else. It’s just 2 games and it won’t define his career but Hughes looks god awful. The kid isn’t ready to handle the workload of a top #6 NHL center. It’s a good thing that all of our other centers are very solid defensively cause Jack has to play wing until he understands the responsibilities he has when playing down the middle.

As for our defence, we need a legit defender, ASAP. We’re relying on Greene to cover Subban, Butcher and Vats are both offensively oriented and the Severson-Mueller pairing is nothing short of a nightmare.

When you have to play Severson on your PK, you know you need help with your blue line.

I don't disagree that it's mostly a lineup that shys away from defensive coverage, but they aren't that bad. Four out of six periods of hockey they have looked like an ECHL team.

Watch the play in the D zone. The players see an opponent get the puck, then go chase him. Once the puck zips by them, they go chase the guy who gets it next. It's 100% reactionary. No one has any idea where to go or what to do outside of go get the guy who has the puck once he gets the puck.

Our breakout is terrible too and again completely reactionary. Get the puck, then look for the open guy, then pass it to him. The forwards aren't following a set play, so the defenders trying to find open players need to scan the entire ice to figure out if anyone is open. This is what is making them look like grenade handlers. They are waiting for someone to get open and trying to locate them without knowing who it is that is going to be open and where they are going to be open. Not to mention that, more often then not, the open man requires passing through multiple attacking players sticks to get the puck. The game is way to fast to be gliding and waiting for someone to get open.

The offensive zone is a little better, but I think it's a result of long time pros like Zajac and Simmonds having had the cycle game ingrained in them for so long. They can actually kind of execute a system from time to time. Every now and then they actually use some short passes to get guys open. However, for the most part, it looks very similar. Get the puck and look around for someone that is open, then get them the puck. The only reason it looks a bit better than the defensive zone is because of how talented our forwards are offensively. They can actually improvise offensively and look somewhat competent. They aren't good enough defensively to do that. Very few teams are.

Point is, it's pond hockey out there, and it's been that way since Hynes took over. As a result, our lows are really, really low. I don't doubt that he is trying to teach some kind of system, but his system either blows, or he can't get the players to understand how to play it. Either way, that's squarely on him. Any competent coach could make this team at least competitive at the NHL level. I don't think we are a Cup threat, but this is a team that should be able to make the playoffs and scare their first round opponent.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
So you’re ignoring how the team is having the same problems when he came here. Showing it doesn’t matter who they have on the ice that the same breakdowns are happening.

to say we’re having the same exact issues now as we were when he got here is really lazy and disingenuous. our problems over the last 5 years have ranged from goaltending to putrid forwards to a shitty defensive core to injuries and everything in between

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
to say we’re having the same exact issues now as we were when he got here is really lazy and disingenuous. our problems over the last 5 years have ranged from goaltending to putrid forwards to a ****ty defensive core to injuries and everything in between

I don't disagree, but I don't think the coaching has ever once maximized the roster. While the team may have had differing problems over the years, the issues with the coaching and the system have been exactly the same. Even long time NHL veterans look lost out there more often than not. This hasn't changed since Hynes started.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
When the team has fallen apart under Hynes in the past they have reverted to a low event system. They have looked more competitive in that system to my eye. They would still lose but it would be 2-1 against or 3-2 or something close. I think Hynes can coach a traditional conservative system. I wonder if the issue is Shero on some level? He sees a run and gun team and has almost built one but either Hynes is out of his element with that style or the team isn’t quite ready for run and gun? Maybe Hynes favors the grinders because those guys play to a conservative style on their own? Maybe Shero needs to let Hynes go conservative early and see what the results are for a few games?

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
I don't disagree, but I don't think the coaching has ever once maximized the roster. While the team may have had differing problems over the years, the issues with the coaching and the system have been exactly the same. Even long time NHL veterans look lost out there more often than not. This hasn't changed since Hynes started.

i said this earlier, but i am not a big fan of the coaching staff. what i am a fan of is giving him more than 2 games now that we finally have a decent roster that likely needs some time to gel

Japam

I love Matt Loughlin.
May 21, 2012
nj
I just thought to go remind myself who was asst coaching when they went to the finals in 12. The media kept throwing around the meme of "no-name defense" so I wanted to see who was coaching that no name defense the helped get them to the cup final. Oh right, one was one of the greatest defenseman of all time and the other was one of the better defensive forwards in Devils history. Siiiigh.

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
the best we can hope for is that this weekend is a wake up call and they show up to practice tomorrow ready to pay attention to details. and learn how to breakout

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Just throw everything into the blender.

Hall-Nico-Bratt
Hughes-Zajac-Palmieri
Gusev-Coleman-Boqvist
Wood-Zacha-Simmonds

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
When the team has fallen apart under Hynes in the past they have reverted to a low event system. They have looked more competitive in that system to my eye. They would still lose but it would be 2-1 against or 3-2 or something close. I think Hynes can coach a traditional conservative system. I wonder if the issue is Shero on some level? He sees a run and gun team and has almost built one but either Hynes is out of his element with that style or the team isn’t quite ready for run and gun? Maybe Hynes favors the grinders because those guys play to a conservative style on their own? Maybe Shero needs to let Hynes go conservative early and see what the results are for a few games?

very interesting theory. If Shero is that involved I think we've got major problems though.

Reactions: My3Sons

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ

Problems very well stated,

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Greene has easily been our best defenseman through 2 games, and that's a serious indictment on the other 5 guys.

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
I have said it before but it deserves repeating. The Devils hyped Jack Hughes much too much. It is only two games but he doesn't belong in the NHL yet. He needs to put on weight and spend time upgrading his play to be able to play in the NHL.

Reactions: MichaelJ
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad