Post Game Talk - SummerSlam 2018

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Vince is obsessed with looks. That's why he turned Diesel face and not HBK in 1994/95 and that's why he is sticking with Reigns even though he is being rejected by the fans time and time again. The WWE and its relation to size has always been stupid. Well, ever since everyone knows it is a work at least. If Andre the Giant was around today, he'd be what the Big Show was because no one gives a crap about a big ass dude who doesn't really move.

Hell, he probably is turning Becky heel over Charlotte because she is a foreigner and "doesn't connect enough with the crowd". That's how dogmatic that old **** is.

Probably also explains why Asuka's been more or less snuffed out ever since her win at the Rumble. Sad, really.

Bryan is one guy who's appeal I just don't get. I am a completely lapsed fan so his entire WWE career is irrelevant to me. I just think he is a boring talker. The audio clips in his (tremendous) montages are so lame. "I want to win to prove that there is nobody better than Daniel Bryan" :rolleyes:

Also Reigns is a modern day Diesel and the big problem is there is no competition to scare Vince into listening to the fans.

That's the most annoying part, though.....Braun is right ****ing there and Vince can't figure it out.

Bigger than Roman, better than Roman, a million times more over than Roman will ever be.

As for DB, I find him annoying from top to bottom. His look, his theme music, the whole "yes" thing, his "I may be small but gosh golly am I ever tough" shtick that he's using, same thing Mysterio used to do. Just can't get into it.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Bryan is one guy who's appeal I just don't get. I am a completely lapsed fan so his entire WWE career is irrelevant to me. I just think he is a boring talker. The audio clips in his (tremendous) montages are so lame. "I want to win to prove that there is nobody better than Daniel Bryan" :rolleyes:

Also Reigns is a modern day Diesel and the big problem is there is no competition to scare Vince into listening to the fans.

Bryan is a great wrestler, he definitely does have personality, and he's an easy guy to get behind as a face. He did great heel work too. To see that personality you have to know his older stuff in the WWE though.

His comeback has been terribly mismanaged IMO, and I have been really vocal about it, although many people don't share the same view.

turd

Feb 1, 2013
I know Ronda is fairly new to the wrestling business, but what in the world is up with her suplexes and fireman’s carry style moves? Every time she does one I either ask myself wtf it is she’s trying to do or I’ll always check to see if the other girl is alright because she’ll either toss them directly into the ropes or on their shoulder or something. I think she needs to slow down out there a bit. I’m sure it’s difficult going from the unpredictable, legitimate action UFC to the scripted, choreographed WWE, but sometimes it looks like she just makes shit up on the fly.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
I know Ronda is fairly new to the wrestling business, but what in the world is up with her suplexes and fireman’s carry style moves? Every time she does one I either ask myself wtf it is she’s trying to do or I’ll always check to see if the other girl is alright because she’ll either toss them directly into the ropes or on their shoulder or something. I think she needs to slow down out there a bit. I’m sure it’s difficult going from the unpredictable, legitimate action UFC to the scripted, choreographed WWE, but sometimes it looks like she just makes **** up on the fly.

If that was the case, and if that was the feedback they were getting from Alexa, or Nia Jax, I doubt they'd be sending Ronda out there, let alone give her a title run.

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
They shouldn't have had Braun go with the coward line if he wasn't going to cash in right there. They could have done exactly what they wanted to by having him come down and say something like this: "The history of the Money in the Bank shows guys cashing it in when their opponent is down and not expecting it. Well I'm out here to tell you that I'm giving you advance warning. I'll be right here at the end of the match waiting for whoever wins and whoever wins is going to get these hands." You can't go and call other people cowards and cheap when you're waiting for both to get killed in the match. Just tell them you're not pulling a surprise on them and it's being cashed in when the match is over and it serves the same purpose.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
They shouldn't have had Braun go with the coward line if he wasn't going to cash in right there. They could have done exactly what they wanted to by having him come down and say something like this: "The history of the Money in the Bank shows guys cashing it in when their opponent is down and not expecting it. Well I'm out here to tell you that I'm giving you advance warning. I'll be right here at the end of the match waiting for whoever wins and whoever wins is going to get these hands." You can't go and call other people cowards and cheap when you're waiting for both to get killed in the match. Just tell them you're not pulling a surprise on them and it's being cashed in when the match is over and it serves the same purpose.

At least he didn't cash in to make it a triple threat, only to lose to Roman anyways. This board would've gone megaton. :laugh:

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
The Braun coming out before the match move was very clearly made to distract people from yelling "you both suck" for the entire match. Instead, it was only part of the match. It was a nice little distraction, but WWE wanted so badly to let Roman leave as champion as well as look strong that they decided the best alternative was to make Braun look like a chump. Mind boggling.

I, for one, am just happy that we won't see Roman whining about how he's the uncrowned champ any longer. Holy crap was that ever annoying (and a load of crap).

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
I would have had Ellsworth take the briefcase after the toss. Then we could have had a couple of throwaway segments tonight with Braun chasing after him. Ellsworth would then get taken out backstage by a returning Nicolas who'd return the briefcase to Braun.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
I would have had Ellsworth take the briefcase after the toss. Then we could have had a couple of throwaway segments tonight with Braun chasing after him. Ellsworth would then get taken out backstage by a returning Nicolas who'd return the briefcase to Braun.

Or KO, although I guess he took enough of a beating earlier that he needs to keep selling it. But having him come out - even if it's just to scoop up the briefcase and run backstage - would've made the main event slightly more entertaining.

I guess they're going in a different direction, though, and KO won't be chasing after the briefcase anymore.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Glad Reigns got the belt. So much you can do with a full time champ than have a part time champ. Also glad to see Carmella lose the diva's belt. Figured Ronda would beat Bliss but didn't think it'd be a squash. Overall, show was decent but left you wanting more IMO.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Should of ended with Rousey match. That was a feel good moment and it was good to see her kick Alexa's ass and be booked as a bad ass. Turn it off then because Brock Roman was not needed.

At least Roman has his title now and we can move past Roman/Brock. With Brock back in UFC he can take a break and come back in a year or two.

So after watching NXT and then Summerslam, main roster basically goes at half speed of NXT and is more "mat wrestling" (i.e. rest holds) and isn't as hard hitting. Compare UE/MM/Cole/Ricochet etc.. and how hard they hit and how fast they move to main guys and its night and day. Its like they are in slow motion.

Can't wait for Reings to get booed out of the building tonight while Cole and Byron felate him and talk about the culmination of his boyhood dream and the BIG DAWG.

Vince will finally get to do his Jinder/Roman feud. Need that foreign cheap heat so Roman can get some cheers.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Probably also explains why Asuka's been more or less snuffed out ever since her win at the Rumble. Sad, really.

That's the most annoying part, though.....Braun is right ****ing there and Vince can't figure it out.

Bigger than Roman, better than Roman, a million times more over than Roman will ever be.

As for DB, I find him annoying from top to bottom. His look, his theme music, the whole "yes" thing, his "I may be small but gosh golly am I ever tough" shtick that he's using, same thing Mysterio used to do. Just can't get into it.

Loved Bryan, but his comeback is what I feared. He isn't the same wrestler and I can't blame him with his health but this is a watered down version of Daniel Bryan.

This isn't the same guy who was the best in the world, he is clearly a step behind. And he isn't as over as before either. Still over but not to the same level.

Bryan also isn't really unique anymore. When he first came up the only "indy" guys were him and Punk. Now you have all of NXT and guys like Rollins and Dean and Bryans stuff isn't really unique.

Reactions: Dr Pepper

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
If they want to save the Smackdown women's title scene, they need to do a triple threat on Smackdown between Becky, Carmella and Asuka. If Naomi is fit, make it a fatal 4-way. But add the following stipulations: if Carmella wins, she'll have a one-on-one re-match with Charlotte at HIAC. If Becky wins, it's a triple threat. If Asuka wins, it becomes a fatal 4-way. If Naomi is involved and she wins, then it'll be a fatal 4-way but she'd take Asuka's place. That way everyone would have an incentive to win the match on Smackdown.

No need to save anything now. They are at least on a decent track, though not the perfect one imho. Unfortunately they have to get Carmella’s rematch out of the way.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Loved Bryan, but his comeback is what I feared. He isn't the same wrestler and I can't blame him with his health but this is a watered down version of Daniel Bryan.

This isn't the same guy who was the best in the world, he is clearly a step behind. And he isn't as over as before either. Still over but not to the same level.

Bryan also isn't really unique anymore. When he first came up the only "indy" guys were him and Punk. Now you have all of NXT and guys like Rollins and Dean and Bryans stuff isn't really unique.
What does it say about Daniel Bryan that he’s not as over as he once was yet is still the most over on the entire roster? It’s crazy.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
What does it say about Daniel Bryan that he’s not as over as he once was yet is still the most over on the entire roster? It’s crazy.

Are we counting NXT LOL, because UE/Gargano/Dream might have something to say.

I think the crowd was just a bad one but they were split between him and Miz, when in the past putting the pope and Jesus against DB would still get them booed.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Are we counting NXT LOL, because UE/Gargano/Dream might have something to say.

I think the crowd was just a bad one but they were split between him and Miz, when in the past putting the pope and Jesus against DB would still get them booed.
No, because NXT is a very niche audience still. Dream/Gargano/UE need to get the reactions Bryan has on the main roster to be in the conversation as much as I like those guys.

Reactions: scrubadam

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
Welp....

At least we have the Universal title on t.v again (but Roman is champ... and probably champ for 9 months)
Alexa is no longer champion (but we have one who's still pretty green/its too soon)

Conrad McBenis

Bow Down
Jan 10, 2018
Did not hate the show, definitely a lot of filler. Whether I liked it or not, strapping Roman was the correct decision at this point.

I think it sets up some interesting potential story-lines for the Fall which is usually purgatory for WWE.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
The "positive" people on last night's show are all saying the same thing that is weird to me (paraphrasing):

"I liked the show and thank God we are finally done with Reigns/Lesnar. It was masterful booking of the main event to dodge the crowd."

If you have to dodge crowds and have a terrible year long feud, I respect people who say it's good because it's over, but it seems everyone is saying it was good for the wrong reason. It wasn't good because the quality was excellent. It was "masterful" because how they played the crowd.

Isn't that... sad? I listened to Cultaholic, Wrestletalk, and WhatCulture. I like keeping it on in the background in the office while I work. Those groups all seemed to say the same thing, which I found a tad weird. It's sad that we celebrate something just being over instead of being great.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
The "positive" people on last night's show are all saying the same thing that is weird to me (paraphrasing):

"I liked the show and thank God we are finally done with Reigns/Lesnar. It was masterful booking of the main event to dodge the crowd."

If you have to dodge crowds and have a terrible year long feud, I respect people who say it's good because it's over, but it seems everyone is saying it was good for the wrong reason. It wasn't good because the quality was excellent. It was "masterful" because how they played the crowd.

Isn't that... sad? I listened to Cultaholic, Wrestletalk, and WhatCulture. I like keeping it on in the background in the office while I work. Those groups all seemed to say the same thing, which I found a tad weird. It's sad that we celebrate something just being over instead of being great.

I honestly have a hard time believing these blogs and websites actually like this crap, and many of the writers don’t want to burn bridges with the company by trashing it. Though maybe they are just blind fanboys.

If you have to work this hard to keep the crowd from turning on you, it isn’t masterful that you somewhat pulled it off, it is a testament to how bad you are booking your show.

It also says nothing of how stupid you made Braun look in the process, and in turn you made KO look even worse because he was sacrificed so Braun could look like a dummy here.

Nothing was paid off here. Braun still has the briefcase, Roman/Brock isn’t really settled, and honestly Brock looks like the only face here which is incredibly stupid.

I see similar things with the Becky heel turn. “Look st the reaction!” See the thing is anything Becky does will get big reactions right now because she is already over. She didn’t need a heel turn to get more over.

What she needed is to finally get her big win. The crowd would have ate it up. Instead you get a cheap turn for a crowd reaction to set up Charlotte’s next feud in what will almost certainly be another long title reign.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad