Post Game Talk - SummerSlam 2018

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Just want to touch on one thing and that's the main event. I think when you sit back and look at the actions/booking, it's quite depressing.

- Braun was legit brought out just to distract the crowd into not crapping on the main event. And it's not like the WWE wanted to highlight him because he comes out to say he won't be a cheap MITB winner but then goes on to be a cheap MITB wrestler who sits on the side line just so Roman can get his 1 on 1 win.

Braun was embarrassed before and during the match. His character is to be a monster. He specifically states he will not be a coward and then is a coward. :laugh: WWE obviously does not care about Braun because they set him up to distract the crowd and look like an idiot so they could put the title on Roman.

- The finish and how quick they went off air: Boy it was like CM Punk leaving through the crowd. Braun specifically said he was going to cash in. The briefcase was at the top of the ramp. I'm 99% sure he can go get it and come back down. In addition there was no celebration. They went off air quick. It was like Vince/Roman running through the crowd and escaping the door a la CM Punk at MITB. Those actions were purposely taken to protect Roman.

- Culmination?! Nope. If you want to see how a feud builds for years and over time - Gargano/Ciampa. And every match is different, call backs, story telling, etc. Brutal.

When you really sit back and look at that main event, it's so sad.

Transplanted Caper

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2003
Thought it was a really good show, for the most part. As we saw with Wrestlemania, it's really tough to do a 6 hour show without dead parts. It's a really long time to watch something and stay engaged, but last night did as good a job as possible under those circumstances.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
I find it very telling that the main strategy behind storytelling and booking is to supresss the fans reaction and not just going out there and telling a good thought bout and well planned story.

That’s the product nowadays.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
The "You both suck" chant really says it all, as far as that (so-called) main event.

Agreed that they went off-air in a big ol' hurry after Roman got his win, I guess going on the assumption that every single viewer forgot that Braun said he was going to cash in after the match. :help:

I wonder what happened after the feed stopped. Did Braun just get up and walk to the back? Was there a staredown in the ring?

AJ/Samoa Joe was worlds better, plenty of back and forth, some great spots even if it didn't get a clean finish. Thought they overdid it on the sappyness with AJ holding his little kid and apologizing to her after they trained her to say she was scared, or that she missed him, I couldn't quite make out what she told him. Cute little family moment but kind of cringy.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Also, was this the first PPV in which both women's titles changed hands?

Really glad to see some changeover there, even if I would've preferred seeing Becky come out on top for SD. Planted the seeds for the next angle, at any rate. What happened to Nia and Naomi, where have they been lately?

Also I'm assuming Creative hasn't forgotten about Asuka and that there's still plans for her to win eventually.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
The "You both suck" chant really says it all, as far as that (so-called) main event.

Agreed that they went off-air in a big ol' hurry after Roman got his win, I guess going on the assumption that every single viewer forgot that Braun said he was going to cash in after the match. :help:

I wonder what happened after the feed stopped. Did Braun just get up and walk to the back? Was there a staredown in the ring?

AJ/Samoa Joe was worlds better, plenty of back and forth, some great spots even if it didn't get a clean finish. Thought they overdid it on the sappyness with AJ holding his little kid and apologizing to her after they trained her to say she was scared, or that she missed him, I couldn't quite make out what she told him. Cute little family moment but kind of cringy.

As to what happened after the feed stopped, per WrestlingInc,

- New WWE Universal Champion Roman Reigns continued his celebration in the Barclays Center after SummerSlam went off the air in Brooklyn last night. Braun Strowman stood up as Reigns left and slowly limped to the back, stopping on the stage to gather his Money In the Bank briefcase that was tossed by Brock Lesnar. Strowman turned and looked back at the crowd before making his exit.

As for AJ's daughter, I believe it was something like "You're bleeding, Daddy."

Also, was this the first PPV in which both women's titles changed hands?

Really glad to see some changeover there, even if I would've preferred seeing Becky come out on top for SD. Planted the seeds for the next angle, at any rate. What happened to Nia and Naomi, where have they been lately?

Also I'm assuming Creative hasn't forgotten about Asuka and that there's still plans for her to win eventually.

Don't know about Naomi, but I believe Nia's been banged up and is rehabbing an injury. I know she's had a few posts on IG showing her getting some sort of physical therapy.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Just want to touch on one thing and that's the main event. I think when you sit back and look at the actions/booking, it's quite depressing.

- Braun was legit brought out just to distract the crowd into not crapping on the main event. And it's not like the WWE wanted to highlight him because he comes out to say he won't be a cheap MITB winner but then goes on to be a cheap MITB wrestler who sits on the side line just so Roman can get his 1 on 1 win.

Braun was embarrassed before and during the match. His character is to be a monster. He specifically states he will not be a coward and then is a coward. :laugh: WWE obviously does not care about Braun because they set him up to distract the crowd and look like an idiot so they could put the title on Roman.

- The finish and how quick they went off air: Boy it was like CM Punk leaving through the crowd. Braun specifically said he was going to cash in. The briefcase was at the top of the ramp. I'm 99% sure he can go get it and come back down. In addition there was no celebration. They went off air quick. It was like Vince/Roman running through the crowd and escaping the door a la CM Punk at MITB. Those actions were purposely taken to protect Roman.

- Culmination?! Nope. If you want to see how a feud builds for years and over time - Gargano/Ciampa. And every match is different, call backs, story telling, etc. Brutal.

Yeah, it was pretty cringy booking, done 100% to control the crowd to not crapping on the main event.

At least it's now over. Brock can go away, Roman can have his reign.

The most unfortunate thing is, they planted the seeds for Braun to just challenge Roman at HIAC using his briefcase, rather than coming out tonight and destroying him unexectedly.

So I'm almost certain Braun will cash in at HIAC in advance, and Roman Reigns will beat him to.

I think there is a big chance Roman Reigns holds the title for a while too.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
If they want to save the Smackdown women's title scene, they need to do a triple threat on Smackdown between Becky, Carmella and Asuka. If Naomi is fit, make it a fatal 4-way. But add the following stipulations: if Carmella wins, she'll have a one-on-one re-match with Charlotte at HIAC. If Becky wins, it's a triple threat. If Asuka wins, it becomes a fatal 4-way. If Naomi is involved and she wins, then it'll be a fatal 4-way but she'd take Asuka's place. That way everyone would have an incentive to win the match on Smackdown.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
If they want to save the Smackdown women's title scene, they need to do a triple threat on Smackdown between Becky, Carmella and Asuka. If Naomi is fit, make it a fatal 4-way. But add the following stipulations: if Carmella wins, she'll have a one-on-one re-match with Charlotte at HIAC. If Becky wins, it's a triple threat. If Asuka wins, it becomes a fatal 4-way. If Naomi is involved and she wins, then it'll be a fatal 4-way but she'd take Asuka's place. That way everyone would have an incentive to win the match on Smackdown.

Wait, so if Becky wins, Carmella gets a shot anyway? :laugh:

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
As much as we gross about part time champions like Brock Lesnar, I guarantee you we're going to wish that Reigns was a part time champion. Instead we're going to get him showing up weekly, stomping to the ring and proclaiming it his yard and calling himself the big do 10 times.

Then we'll get a match where he throws three superman punches and a spear or two and wins. They'll build up other Superstars to feed to him on PPV's, then on Monday he'll come out again and proclaim its his yard, and he's the big dog.

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
well I watched Summersquash this morning. some thoughts

- Revival are geeks
- no heel turn from Dean is a shame, but the match was solid as always and Seth is easily top face on Raw
- im so so done with the Bludgeon Brothers. why didnt they do this when they were the Wyatts. smh
- Braun squashing KO.... I dont understand the purpose here. I thought it was to build Braun to beat Brock later but as we saw..... nahh lol
- I just knew they were gonna put the title on Charlotte again sigh. not convinced thats a full heel turn from Becky, but the crowd showed how out of touch WWE are with Becky
- Joe and Styles put on a good match with a reasonable finish. I am however sick of Big 4 PPVs being used as the setup match rather than the blowoff
- Miz/Bryan was booked perfectly, and its the one time I will forgive a Big 4 being a setup match, cause you know this feud has a clear payoff unlike AJ/Nakamura etc
- THE DEMON is back! It really wasnt needed, and im surprised they did it. but it made Balor look really good and Corbin sold it fantastically. could we see a new streak being born, but a Summerslam streak? :O
- Nakamura/Hardy happened. was fine. Orton just confusing me always
- Squash number 3, this time from Rousey but the one everyone saw coming. Im fine with it, but the Bellas need jettisoned into the Sun
- Lesnar/Reigns. oh boy. I popped when I thought Braun was making it a Triple Threat. then he didnt.... OK I thought, he will cash in after. then he didnt......they just made Braun look like the king of geeks while Roman stands tall. gross

reasonable show. nothing outstanding. typically main roster.

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
I think that they're going to have to do something to keep people interested in Ronda Rousey matches, because as great as she is and as dominant as he is athletically we can always see where the match is going.

I also think that if they just write off someone like Alexa after that match they're stupid.

Why not do the powerbomb scenario but do it right.

Have Alexa march down to the ring tonight with a huge cast on her arm, then she brings down Alicia who's arm is still bandaged. Then she demands to see Stephanie.

So Stephanie comes down to the ring with Kurt and Corbin. Alexa plays the tape of her last week saying that the WWE doesn't seem to want to protect its champion. (Which could be used brilliantly), now its clear that they aren't interested in protecting anyone in the Woman's division except for Rousey who happens to be the GM's friend. Then she points out that Stephanie walked around with a cast on her arm. Then Alexa calls down Nia who has been missing since her match with Rousey. Then Alexa calls down Mickie James who has been mia since facing Ronda

Then Alexa introduces her advocate and Paul Heyman comes out to the ring, grateful to have a job. And he informs Stephanie that Ronda's arm bar is creating an unsafe work environment and he's consulted with legal experts and decided that these girls will be filing a unsafe work environment over Ronda's arm bar, and arm bars in general.

So the Raw's woman champion comes out all mad and stuff, and suddenly Steph looks at Kurt and tells him he's too involved in this and she has to make a decision, then an ugly sneer goes over her face and she announces that Ronda Rousey cannot use the Arm Bar.

Benefits

It forces them to be a bit more creative with Ronda then just some trash talk, a couple of judo flips, then the arm bar followed by netflix and chill

Now you can believe that other Woman might have a chance to beat her because frankly, right now nobody is beating Ronda, even without the arm bar nobody is beating Ronda, but at least this creates some interest.

It makes Bliss look smart and doesn't completely wipe out her character right now. I mean frankly Stephanie could really come out tonight when Alexa Bliss is demanding her rematch and tell her no, that there's no point, and it would be believable.

It gives Heyman something o do, to be the advocate for a group of woman. He can even become the voice for some of the really terrible on the mic girls like Nia and Alicia, and even Mickie.

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
I'm about 10 minutes into Dolph vs Seth.

The bad knee narrative with Seth is getting more and more annoying. His knee has been good for a couple years and we're acting like he just got back. They'll use this his entire career too.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
She has an automatic re-match clause, if they follow past logic. So she would be in it anyway but this way she could control who else will be in it.

Ah, that makes sense.

I'm just glad we didn't see the chinless wonder show up yet again to bail Carmella out.

As much as we gross about part time champions like Brock Lesnar, I guarantee you we're going to wish that Reigns was a part time champion. Instead we're going to get him showing up weekly, stomping to the ring and proclaiming it his yard and calling himself the big do 10 times.

Then we'll get a match where he throws three superman punches and a spear or two and wins. They'll build up other Superstars to feed to him on PPV's, then on Monday he'll come out again and proclaim its his yard, and he's the big dog.

Ugh. Yeah, I'd be willing to bet the "over", on whether or not Reigns uses "big dog" 10.5 times tonight on Raw. :help:

What an absolute cluster they made of that main event. Brock looked weak, and then strong, and then weak. Braun looked hella-strong, and then weak, and then even weaker. Roman looked strong the whole time because, hey, he has to, right?

Damn you, WWE Creative.

Time to dust off an oldie:

Reactions: Hypernova

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
Aight. I just saw Seth invert his usual Superplex Falcon Arrow combo.

Gonna bail now. That's clearly the peak of the show.

Reactions: SnS

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Man I've fallen so out of all of this, mostly due to how much the WWE is shoving Reigns into his spot. I both can't believe, but also can believe, that they did what they did last night.

The man has been routinely rejected in the role they are putting him in, and instead of switching him with someone who's naturally gotten over (like Seth Rollins, or even DB...though they'd never have him beat Brock), Vince is just as stubborn as usual.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Man I've fallen so out of all of this, mostly due to how much the WWE is shoving Reigns into his spot. I both can't believe, but also can believe, that they did what they did last night.

The man has been routinely rejected in the role they are putting him in, and instead of switching him with someone who's naturally gotten over (like Seth Rollins, or even DB...though they'd never have him beat Brock), Vince is just as stubborn as usual.

Vince's game of "let's fit a square peg into a round hole" continues.

In fact, I found this old footage of WWE Creative trying hard to make us like Roman.

giphy.gif

I'm still not a fan of DB so I'm glad they put Miz over in their feud, but the finish obviously means DB will get his rematch and likely win as well. Probably a mixed tag on the way.

Maybe that's why the Bellas were included in the Ronda Rousey celebration, I couldn't figure it out. Nikki's going to face her at the Evolution PPV (which is why, of course, they're going to be just best buds while Ronda has her title :help:).

And Brie is likely going to be in DB's corner while Maryse supports the Miz in yet another blowoff match between the two.

Reactions: SeidoN

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Aight. I just saw Seth invert his usual Superplex Falcon Arrow combo.

Gonna bail now. That's clearly the peak of the show.

I really really enjoyed Miz vs. Bryan. I thought it was the best match of the night. Rollins was a close #2 for me and the triple threat womens match was good.

That's all I enjoyed pretty much.
-Miz vs. Bryan
-Rollins vs. Dolph
- Womens triple threat.

Ill be honest in the fact that I fell asleep for half of AJ vs. Joe as I was exhausted from the weekend.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com

Vince is obsessed with looks. That's why he turned Diesel face and not HBK in 1994/95 and that's why he is sticking with Reigns even though he is being rejected by the fans time and time again. The WWE and its relation to size has always been stupid. Well, ever since everyone knows it is a work at least. If Andre the Giant was around today, he'd be what the Big Show was because no one gives a crap about a big ass dude who doesn't really move.

Hell, he probably is turning Becky heel over Charlotte because she is a foreigner and "doesn't connect enough with the crowd". That's how dogmatic that old f*** is.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Bryan is one guy who's appeal I just don't get. I am a completely lapsed fan so his entire WWE career is irrelevant to me. I just think he is a boring talker. The audio clips in his (tremendous) montages are so lame. "I want to win to prove that there is nobody better than Daniel Bryan" :rolleyes:

Also Reigns is a modern day Diesel and the big problem is there is no competition to scare Vince into listening to the fans.

Reactions: iamjs

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E

What is funny is I went and read cageside’s take (they loved it) and thought I was living in another universe.

I feel the way you do that this is rather absurd.

Reactions: ColePens

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Vince's game of "let's fit a square peg into a round hole" continues.

In fact, I found this old footage of WWE Creative trying hard to make us like Roman.

giphy.gif

I'm still not a fan of DB so I'm glad they put Miz over in their feud, but the finish obviously means DB will get his rematch and likely win as well. Probably a mixed tag on the way.

Maybe that's why the Bellas were included in the Ronda Rousey celebration, I couldn't figure it out. Nikki's going to face her at the Evolution PPV (which is why, of course, they're going to be just best buds while Ronda has her title :help:).

And Brie is likely going to be in DB's corner while Maryse supports the Miz in yet another blowoff match between the two.

Yeah, I understand people not being fans of DB, it's understandable because even the most over workers still had people who didn't like them (in their heyday's, I sometimes struggled to want to watch Stone Cold or The Rock--but their popularity was undeniable).

It just amazes me that this company just refuses to listen to its audience. I mean case in point, let's not even look at Rollins (who I do think is the most over face on the roster right now): the WWE had both CM Punk and Daniel Bryan just organically get over as faces with the crowd, and because neither had the build of Roman Reigns they did jack squat with them (say what you will about Punk as a person, but his Pipebomb Promo turned him tweener, then MitB turned him face).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad