Post-Game Talk: Post game - Leafs Win 4-1

54thecup

keep on rockin the free world!
Aug 3, 2017
Muskoka
Surprised so many are ranking AJ so low... he has clearly been asked to be the forecheker/checker on his line and has been doing pretty decently. Taking some serious abuse in front of the net providing screens for at least one goal. Held his ground against much much bigger men.

AJ has been fine but now isnt being asked to be the main creative force like he was in the bottom 6 for large parts of last year.

Kap tunnel vision is getting worse though so a Hyman esq role may suit him better if he accepts it and starts bulking up a bit.

I completely agree that AJ knows his role and is working very hard doing it!

He was instrumental in both Marner's PP goal and Ceci's goal as a net front presence.

His teammates have been constant in complimenting him on his play.

Now the (accidental) slu-foot needs to go and hopefully he adjusts, but I think he is earning the respect in the room which is great news imo.

Then there's Kappy. He is driving me insane with his decision making. I know its early and last nite wasn't quite as bad. I haven't heard JT or Marner say one good thing about Kappy and I'm sure they know what the problem is and will get this fixed.

There was a great Athletic article on how AJ did some gymnastic training in offseason to work on core strength and balance. Seems to be a good idea for a guy battling for rebounds in front of the net!

WTF did Kappy do? Bricklayer?

Reactions: kb and Ziggdiezan

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Kinda becoming a Ceci fan .. I really want to see him succeed here.

He definitely has the pedigree to be a reliable top 4 defenceman. He has been rock solid in the pre-season and in his first 2 games.

If he can regain consistency in a Leaf uniform, he might just be the long term solution to be paired with Rielly. He's the perfect age for it.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Kap's adjusting to his off-wing... Also the Leafs aren't using the stretch breakout pass this year, so Kap isn't about to use his speed to fly the zone as much (which he was really good with last season) .. He should be fine in the long-run. Once Hyman returns, Kap's role will change. Likely taking Moore's spot on the 3rd line and play on his natural side.

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011
Ceci's goal got me thinking about some useless trivia: what players have scored a goal for both Toronto and Ottawa? Preseason doesn't count.
Luke Richardson
Bill Berg
Jason Smith
Brendan Bell
Dion Phaneuf
Milan Michalek
Clarke MacArthur

Only notable ones I can think of, probably a bunch of others that scored just 1 for each team in a handful of games.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Not the same team without Hyman.

Yeah I was thinking the same thing, Marner and JT aren't the same without him

Auston Matthews... kids only 21.
Marners and JT lookin classic.

Mikheyev might be better than Nylander is we just go from 2019 and mainly look at hustle - I hope Im wrong.

Reilly and Barrie... back end beauty

Sloppy 2nd with a Halloween Freddy.

But good play early VS a Playoff team

Go leafs go!
I'm no Nylander fan at all no matter how elite his skill set is,

Mikheyev has only played 2 NHL games and he's already won more board battles then Willie in his 4 years in the league and blocked more shots btw, but his skill-set may be a notch below:nod:

If Kapanen keeps playing like this then he’s the odd man out when Hyman get back.

yeah he doesn't seem to be able to find either one of them on the ice, and his puck retrieval has been abysmal, give him two more games, and if his level of play doesn't change give Mikheyev the job until he proves he can't do it.

Last edited:

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Love this years team. Ceci is playing like I thought he would. Let’s hope we resign him. Holl will be the odd man out again. Marner is dangerous in so many ways. Rielly makes his partners better and is a top NHL d man.

Ceci is good so far but he's also faced no team with stars on it. Let's wait till we see him against Tampa, Boston etc before we think of re-signing him.

I think he will be better than Zaitsev for us.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
The bad:
October Fred?
Still rather underwhelmed by Barrie a lil better than Jake but not much better
Kapanens hockey iq
Marner really needs to shut it because i hardly cheered when he scored im still pissed about his off ice antics so i need more of that one of a kind magical on ice stuff

The good:
Matthews looks like he elevated his game hes on another level WOW
PP
The Gauth looks like he belongs
Ceci is so ****ing good by far my fave new guy
Win

Beat the Habs please tonight. Thanks in advance.

I watched Jake the other night, and of course he constructed two critical giveaway's all on his own, the same overthink confusion double clutch and then laid a softy on a Canadiens stick

Barrie skates better, makes better decisions and thinks the game at a far greater speed and with more accuracy then Jake ever did

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
I must have watched Mathews goal 10 times. I still can’t see the puck in real time. If he can stay healthy I think the Leafs may just have their first Rocket Richard trophy winner.

I think he might be possessed by Rocket Richard.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Surprised so many are ranking AJ so low... he has clearly been asked to be the forecheker/checker on his line and has been doing pretty decently. Taking some serious abuse in front of the net providing screens for at least one goal. Held his ground against much much bigger men.

AJ has been fine but now isnt being asked to be the main creative force like he was in the bottom 6 for large parts of last year.

Kap tunnel vision is getting worse though so a Hyman esq role may suit him better if he accepts it and starts bulking up a bit.
His net presence was a factor in two goals last night and Babs made note of that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ziggdiezan

dangomon

Nov 4, 2017
Kingston, ON
Luke Richardson
Bill Berg
Jason Smith
Brendan Bell
Dion Phaneuf
Milan Michalek
Clarke MacArthur

Only notable ones I can think of, probably a bunch of others that scored just 1 for each team in a handful of games.
I think Greening scored one or two in our tank year right? Have to assume Spezza is the next.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Ceci is good so far but he's also faced no team with stars on it. Let's wait till we see him against Tampa, Boston etc before we think of re-signing him.

I think he will be better than Zaitsev for us.
I hope we do not wait to long before we attempt to resign him. He is a good D man who got thrown to the wolves in Ottawa.

Reactions: Havoc

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
I watched Jake the other night, and of course he constructed two critical giveaway's all on his own, the same overthink confusion double clutch and then laid a softy on a Canadiens stick

Barrie skates better, makes better decisions and thinks the game at a far greater speed and with more accuracy then Jake ever did
They are very close to the same defensively.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Luke Richardson
Bill Berg
Jason Smith
Brendan Bell
Dion Phaneuf
Milan Michalek
Clarke MacArthur

I forgot about Clarke MacArthur. Did Milan Michalek really score for us? It was such a brief stay that I don't even remember.

Last edited:

Raym11

Oct 6, 2009
was it bad timing every chance i had to look at Spezza on the ice, or is he really that awful now?

Looked absolutely terrible every opportunity, slowest player on the ice also

Theres no way he lasts very long here, right?

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011
was it bad timing every chance i had to look at Spezza on the ice, or is he really that awful now?

Looked absolutely terrible every opportunity, slowest player on the ice also

Theres no way he lasts very long here, right?
Spezza was great last night. That line was in the other teams end just about every shift

Raym11

Oct 6, 2009
Barkov played 600 minutes more than Matthews (about the equivalent of 30 games!) last year and managed only 20 more points on a devil may care offence only team. Sure there's a poll. I don't care how popular Barkov is, he'd not better than Matthews.

he also played 160 of those minutes on the PK and led his team in points with a significantly weaker supporting casts to split matchups

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
he also played 160 of those minutes on the PK and led his team in points with a significantly weaker supporting casts to split matchups

I suppose you imagine that Kapanen and Johnsson are the elite linemates that Huberdeau and Dadanov are too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad