Salary Cap: Post-Duper decisions to be made

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
It's no coincidence Crosby hasn't worked with any of his wingers this year. Stop blaming Kunitz for Crosby's horrid play. It's not Kunitz's fault that Crosby is making stupid decisions with the puck and playing a perimeter game.

Crosby is playing like ass this year. Kunitz sure as hell isn't helping, but he's not the one that's causing Crosby to suck. Crosby sucking is all on Crosby, taking Kunitz off that line isn't going to change what Crosby is doing. Just swapping wingers isn't going to be a fix all solution. Crosby is going to stop playing like crap when he gets out of his funk and starts getting his confidence back, not by the coach removing Kunitz from his line.

Either way, Kunitz off of that line is a good place to start.

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
It's no coincidence Crosby hasn't worked with any of his wingers this year. Stop blaming Kunitz for Crosby's horrid play. It's not Kunitz's fault that Crosby is making stupid decisions with the puck and playing a perimeter game.

Crosby is playing like ass this year. Kunitz sure as hell isn't helping, but he's not the one that's causing Crosby to suck. Crosby sucking is all on Crosby, taking Kunitz off that line isn't going to change what Crosby is doing. Just swapping wingers isn't going to be a fix all solution. Crosby is going to stop playing like crap when he gets out of his funk and starts getting his confidence back, not by the coach removing Kunitz from his line.

It seems like some people are just going to continue to blame anything and everything except what's right in front of their eyes when it comes to Sid. I mean it can't possibly be that he doesn't skate the same or that he doesn't possess the puck as much or that he isn't near the net as often as he should be. It's Kunitz's fault.......and Kessel's, and Hornqvist's, and Fehr's. Beau had a couple goals against the Avs that had little to do with Crosby so I expect people to lament Beau's injury because "it looked like Sid was starting to get it going".

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
What was that potential deal with the Blues for Oshie? Wasn't it Kunitz + Pooh? Rumor mongers are saying they're looking to move JBo ... wonder if that would work?

How about ...
Horny + Cole for Petry
Perron + Bonino for Boedker + 3rd for Bones if Boedker doesn't re-sign
Pouliot + Kunitz for Bouwmeester
Lovejoy somewhere for pick

Boedker - Crosby - BB/Sprong
Plotnikov - Malkin - Kessel
Simon - Fehr - BB/Sprong
Sundqvist - Cullen - Kuhnhackl

Bouwmeester - Letang
Maatta - Petry
Dumoulin - Daley
Clendening

$2.8M in cap space.

Boedker's probably not probable. If the Yotes do trade him, they can probably get a better package for him. I don't really want to trade Pooh, but bringing in JBo would lock up the LD for the next couple of years so it might make some sense in that case. Habs would need a D back in a trade for Petry, they may not want Cole. Lovejoy would $1M cheaper for them, so, in that case we'd be moving Cole separately.

Makes the team bigger and a little faster over all. I think Sid would be the only guy under 6', but I could be wrong. Not that any of those trades are likely to happen ...

Saints11

Jan 24, 2012
Pittsburgh

Let's try it first.

Your defense of Kunitz is unwarranted. He started the year on the top line, fumbled pucks, poor passes, and the line was very poor. The only line that was going was the third line with Perron and Bonino. So Junior Joe changed lines, put Dupuis in Kunitz's spot and put Kunitz on Bonino's left wing. Result; Top line continued to suck, and Bonino's line became invisible. Next change, Kessel to second line, Hornqvist to first. Still, no results. Then the infamous return to yester year; back to KCD line, terrible. Finally, After Duper retires, Bennett is placed there and Sid with skill plays better, then Bennett is hurt and it is a free for all. Sid needs skill on his wings to excell. That is why he does so well in international tournaments. No skill, no results. Not hard to figure out for some people.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
Either way, Kunitz off of that line is a good place to start.

Exactly.

I will never understand that argument. Okay, Crosby playing poorly is all on Crosby. Cool. Fine. Now what? Do you just keep doing the same damn thing over and over and over again or do you try to find something to spark him?

Crosby's play doesn't fall all on Kunitz, but it's pretty ignorant to pretend that Kunitz isn't making the situation worse and different linemates won't change anything.

Your Boy Troy

Sep 19, 2013
Brampton, Ontario
What was that potential deal with the Blues for Oshie? Wasn't it Kunitz + Pooh? Rumor mongers are saying they're looking to move JBo ... wonder if that would work?

How about ...
Horny + Cole for Petry

Simon - Fehr - BB/Sprong

Bouwmeester - Letang
Maatta - Petry
Dumoulin - Daley
Clendening

$2.8M in cap space.

Boedker's probably not probable. If the Yotes do trade him, they can probably get a better package for him. I don't really want to trade Pooh, but bringing in JBo would lock up the LD for the next couple of years so it might make some sense in that case. Habs would need a D back in a trade for Petry, they may not want Cole. Lovejoy would $1M cheaper for them, so, in that case we'd be moving Cole separately.

Makes the team bigger and a little faster over all. I think Sid would be the only guy under 6', but I could be wrong. Not that any of those trades are likely to happen ...

Those offers do not address needs for those teams. Interested to why you inserted Tom Kuhnhackl on the fourth-line? Is it because he is in the 6'1"/6'2" range? Better off with Scott Wilson. Better player and a better fit for the bottom-six.

Saints11

Jan 24, 2012
Pittsburgh
You can have the best peanut butter in the world; but without two pieces of bread, your not making a sandwich.

Put our wings with Toews, Taveras, or any other top center. The next thing you'd hear is " What is wrong with __________?". Centers, especially passing centers, like Sid, need competent wingers, plural. Much of the fault, although Sid is not blameless, lies with his lack of wings, again plural.

Last edited:

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
Those offers do not address needs for those teams. Interested to why you inserted Tom Kuhnhackl on the fourth-line? Is it because he is in the 6'1"/6'2" range? Better off with Scott Wilson. Better player and a better fit for the bottom-six.

Habs were looking for a top 6 RW. Blues were rumored to be looking to shed cap space and wanting to move JBo. As for the Yotes, if they can't sign Boedker they may be looking to move him. So, kind of addressing needs for both teams. As for Kuhnhackl, partly his size and partly because he's been doing well with the Baby Pens. I'm not really attached to the idea of any one player for the fourth line RW spot, so it could just as easily be another guy.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC

How about ...
Horny + Cole for Petry

Simon - Fehr - BB/Sprong

Bouwmeester - Letang
Maatta - Petry
Dumoulin - Daley
Clendening

$2.8M in cap space.

I like it. Unlikely we end up with that roster of course, but some good ideas there for sure.

Koempel

Mar 8, 2010
Leuven
Take a step back from the ledge, give Sullivan some time to leave a mark and, if he is still doing questionable things according to your perception of what this team should be, gather up the pitchforks and have a go at him. Do people really expect change within a week? What change is expected? This team suddenly becoming a contender? It is a rare thing, that sudden and quick changes have miraculous results. Hoping for such a miracle and subsequently throwing a tantrum when it does not materialise, is more the mentality of a child, not a seasoned sports fan who has probably been through frustrating times (regarding his/her team) before .It needs to be a well thought out and patient approach if this team is going anywhere next year. If anything good comes the Penguins'way this year, consider it a bonus.

roquay

Aug 9, 2012
Victoria
Take a step back from the ledge, give Sullivan some time to leave a mark and, if he is still doing questionable things according to your perception of what this team should be, gather up the pitchforks and have a go at him. Do people really expect change within a week? What change is expected? This team suddenly becoming a contender? It is a rare thing, that sudden and quick changes have miraculous results. Hoping for such a miracle and subsequently throwing a tantrum when it does not materialise, is more the mentality of a child, not a seasoned sports fan who has probably been through frustrating times (regarding his/her team) before .It needs to be a well thought out and patient approach if this team is going anywhere next year. If anything good comes the Penguins'way this year, consider it a bonus.

Yeah the coach needs time but we really do need some trades to happen. This current squad isn't good enough now and won't be moving forward no matter what the coach does.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
Yeah the coach needs time but we really do need some trades to happen. This current squad isn't good enough now and won't be moving forward no matter what the coach does.
right now we are missing our top goalie, top rw, and our best defense man. that's a lot to overcome when we are not a very deep team and the rest of our players are playing like #&%(&^$. imo

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

You can't trade your way to victory. This team needs some time to gel under Sullivan before the decide which direction to go. I mean yeah if there is a home run trade that addresses a need, you take it, but they really need to develop some continuity.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Let's try it first.

Your defense of Kunitz is unwarranted. He started the year on the top line, fumbled pucks, poor passes, and the line was very poor. The only line that was going was the third line with Perron and Bonino. So Junior Joe changed lines, put Dupuis in Kunitz's spot and put Kunitz on Bonino's left wing. Result; Top line continued to suck, and Bonino's line became invisible. Next change, Kessel to second line, Hornqvist to first. Still, no results. Then the infamous return to yester year; back to KCD line, terrible. Finally, After Duper retires, Bennett is placed there and Sid with skill plays better, then Bennett is hurt and it is a free for all. Sid needs skill on his wings to excell. That is why he does so well in international tournaments. No skill, no results. Not hard to figure out for some people.

Where was my defense of Kunitz? My point was that people need to stop blaming everything else on Crosby's struggles. I'm saying it's not his fault that Crosby is playing like ass. Nowhere did I say that Kunitz doesn't suck.

No one has ever said that they need to keep Kunitz on Sid's wing or that he deserves to play there. My point was that people need to stop making excuses for Crosby's awful play and just accept the fact that it's Crosby's fault that he's sucking ass this year.

Exactly.

I will never understand that argument. Okay, Crosby playing poorly is all on Crosby. Cool. Fine. Now what? Do you just keep doing the same damn thing over and over and over again or do you try to find something to spark him?

Crosby's play doesn't fall all on Kunitz, but it's pretty ignorant to pretend that Kunitz isn't making the situation worse and different linemates won't change anything.

You sure as hell wouldn't believe that if you read these boards. The apologist level defense of Crosby I've seen here (which is exactly what blaming Kunitz is) is hilarious. And no, this isn't a defense of Kunitz either. That's entirely moving the goalposts.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
haha listening to Triblive radio and this new beat writer moron Bill West just called Kunitz the only "tough" forward on the team. Everyone else is a "skilled" forward.

Chili Goal

Professor of Goonism
May 27, 2009
there aren't any trades coming anytime soon, much less ones that are going to magically & instantly lift this team out of its malaise.

Johnston is gone. Scuderi is gone. it's what everyone wanted. now Crosby & Letang have to get right. if that happens, this team will rise up the standings quickly.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
I wouldn't call Kunitz a tough guy per say but I get what the guy is saying. Kunitz does at times play physical by finishing checks. Most of the rest of the group plays a purely soft style of game. They don't hit, fight or do anything particularly physical for that matter.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I wouldn't call Kunitz a tough guy per say but I get what the guy is saying. Kunitz does at times play physical by finishing checks. Most of the rest of the group plays a purely soft style of game. They don't hit, fight or do anything particularly physical for that matter.

The guy has no idea what he's talking about because he doesn't know hockey outside of Pittsburgh. I feel bad for JB having to pretend like his colleague has a clue.

roquay

Aug 9, 2012
Victoria
You can't trade your way to victory. This team needs some time to gel under Sullivan before the decide which direction to go. I mean yeah if there is a home run trade that addresses a need, you take it, but they really need to develop some continuity.

No we can't but as long as JR is seeking out some good trades. Which I guess we don't know if he is or not. It doesn't have to be all right now but gradually this year and in the off season.

I think this team needs changes even when fully heathy no matter how Sullivan does.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
You sure as hell wouldn't believe that if you read these boards. The apologist level defense of Crosby I've seen here (which is exactly what blaming Kunitz is) is hilarious. And no, this isn't a defense of Kunitz either. That's entirely moving the goalposts.

But Kunitz absolutely is hurting Crosby. Thinking that Kunitz constantly kills plays while he's on the ice and thinking Crosby needs to play better don't have to be mutually exclusive.

I also don't know what boards you're reading. This group of fans has always been quick to blame Crosby for any and everything. The number of posts criticizing him out weights posts from so-called apologists.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad