HF Habs: Post-draft Top 20 prospects.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
at the start of the year I would have said our system is top 5 or so but now I'd have to say more in the 5-10 range but at the same time I'm not big on other teams systems. Plus when I go to do my season ending ranking, I'll have clearer picture by then as I don't like to say too much with so much hockey left still.

Reactions: Andrei79

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I don’t see what makes us #2. I see Caufield as potential top 6 fwd. Romanov top 4 D and maybe Primeau middle pack #1 goalie.

Other than that I see a bunch of prospects with bottom 6/3rd pairing potential.
how does Romanov not have top 2 or even #1 D potential?
how does Caufield not have first line winger/rocket richard potential?

I still think Poehling's ceiling is top 6.

Reactions: jaffy27 and dralaf

CoopersFalls

Director of Armchair Operations
Mar 5, 2010
Central Ontario
Habs #2 in Scott Wheeler’s (The Athletic) prospect pool rankings. The LD seems in very good shape now with:
(2) Jordan Harris
(3) Alexander Romanov
(4) Jayden Struble
(7) Mattias Norlinder

Wheeler’s ranking of them in our system in brackets.

Reactions: WinterLion

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
Habs #2 in Scott Wheeler’s (The Athletic) prospect pool rankings. The LD seems in very good shape now with:
(2) Jordan Harris
(3) Alexander Romanov
(4) Jayden Struble
(7) Mattias Norlinder

Yeah that's an exciting list. They all bring different qualities also. I hope he is right about Harris.

Reactions: jaffy27

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
(2) Jordan Harris
(3) Alexander Romanov
(4) Jayden Struble
(7) Mattias Norlinder

Those 4 can be ranked any way but at the end of the day it's clear that our system is certainly in good shape in terms of D prospects which they seem to have wanted to load up on ala the way the Preds have done in the past. Hopefully that doesn't backfire as now our system is very top heavy in D prospects.

Those 4 certainly are very interesting prospects although with one out for the season and another has been out for weeks that sucks especially when you add Fairbrother out for the season and Juulsen likely as well.

But with those 4 plus Brook, Fleury, Fairbrother, Mete and hopefully Juulsen, you have a very interesting group of D prospects which outside of Juulsen all are outstanding skaters with high mobility.

The problem of course is that we need at very least 1 of them to turn into a top pairing D on a contender, down the road. It's very hard to find a top pairing D, we got lucky with Markov and Timmins made a great pick in Subban but the question is can he repeat that pick in say Romanov, Struble or Norlinder or Brook or whoever. I don't know, none of us do, there are things to like about several of these D prospects that maybe they could end up a top pairing D but a lot would need to go right and as we are seeing with Brook, once they hit the AHL level things begin to reveal themselves more clearly so we'll have to see what happens when these kids hit the NHL/AHL.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
I know the Athletics article had us at no.2, but personally, I'm not that eager to put this crop of prospects so high yet.

Poehling's play is concerning, so is Brook's. Both have looked awful this year. KK's played well since being sent down, and he keeps getting chances, but he's starting to look confused even in the AHL and losing almost all of his 1 on 1 battles.

I think this team really needs to look itself in the mirror and seriously ask themselves why everything is going down the drain.

Reactions: DAChampion

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
I know the Athletics article had us at no.2, but personally, I'm not that eager to put this crop of prospects so high yet.

Poehling's play is concerning, so is Brook's. Both have looked awful this year. KK's played well since being sent down, and he keeps getting chances, but he's starting to look confused even in the AHL and losing almost all of his 1 on 1 battles.

I think this team really needs to look itself in the mirror and seriously ask themselves why everything is going down the drain.
Hiring a quality AHL coach would be a good start, Bouchard is a minor league level coach, he really lost it this year and has obviously no more answer, not sure he is smart enough for the job anyway... Boucher is available, Bergevin would be dumb to not offer him the job at this point... At least with Boucher, you know the kids would be in good hands and have a coach who really knows what he is doing...

Reactions: Andrei79

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
RDS.ca is having a poll as who are our top 10 prospects, they are including Suzuki and KK, you can make your own picks on the following link: Meilleurs espoirs du CH

Personally I have ranked them as follow:

1-Suzuki
2-KK
3 Primeau
4-Romanov
5-Caufield
6-Ylonen
7-Poehling
8-Brook
9-Fleury
10-Norlinder

DinosaurBones

Sep 18, 2018
Would like to start this off by asking if there’s an easy way to search for threads that already exist? Cause I feel like this belongs to one.

But also thought be fun to rank our prospects before the draft and then see where our pics fit after.

1. Caufield
2. Romanov
3. Primeau
4. Poehling
5. Struble
6. Harris
7. Ylonen
8. Norlinder
9. Brook
10. Harvey-Pinard
11. Hillis
12. Olofsson
13. Teasdale
14. Ikonen
15. Stapley

My own personal opinion but excited to see it change

Evans, Juulsen and Fleury graduated in this list

Last edited:
Reactions: 26Mats

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Would like to start this off by asking if there’s an easy way to search for threads that already exist? Cause I feel like this belongs to one.

But also thought be fun to rank our prospects before the draft and then see where our pics fit after.

1. Caufield
2. Romanov
3. Primeau
4 Poehling
5. Struble
6. Fleury
7. Ylonen
8. Norlinder
9. Brook
10. Harvey-Pinard
11. Hillis
12. Olofsson
13. Teasdale
14. Ikonen
15. Stapley

My own personal opinion but excited to see it change

Evans and Fleury graduated in this list
Don't forget Harris...you say Fleury graduated, but have him on the list...

Did Juulsen and Evan's graduate?

DinosaurBones

Sep 18, 2018
Don't forget Harris...you say Fleury graduated, but have him on the list...

Did Juulsen and Evan's graduate?
Literally when I wrote Fleury it was supposed to be Harris so I’ll change that I don’t know how I did that and yes Evans and Juulsen graduated

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Literally when I wrote Fleury it was supposed to be Harris so I’ll change that I don’t know how I did that and yes Evans and Juulsen graduated

Just my opinion, but I don't consider Fleury graduated. At this point, from Julien's presser, Romanov has more graduated than Fleury, even though we who weren't in the bubble haven't yet seen Romanov play.

It sounds like Fleury will continue his development in the AHL next year unless he can beat Mete out in camp.

TheBuriedHab

Jan 27, 2010
1.Romanov
2.Caufield
3.Poehling
4.Norlinder
5.Primeau
6.Harris
7.Ylonen
8.Struble
9.Brook
10.Hillis

HM: Pitlick, Khisamutdinov, Stapley

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
___ A prospect
1. Caufield
___ B+ prospect
2. Romanov
3. Primeau
___ B prospect
4. Brook
5. Struble
6. Harris
7. Ylonen
8. Norlinder
___ C+ prospect
9. Poehling
10. Hillis
11. Olofsson
12. Vejdemo
13. Teasdale
14. Fairbrother
___ C prospect
15. Demchenko
16. G. Olofsson
17. Pitlick
18. Stapley
19. Khisatmudinov
20. Ikonen
___ C- prospect
21. Harvey-Pinard
22. Alain
23. McNiven
24. LeGuerrier
25. Dichow
___ D prospect
26. Pezzetta
___ E prospect
27. Gorniak
___ F prospect
28. Verbeek
___ Would be hilarious prospect
29. Rucheinski

Biggest potential riser: Poehling, Demchenko, Khisatmudinov, Ikonen, Dichow
Biggest potential faller: Struble, Ylonen, Norlinder, Teasdale, Pitlick

Ikonen is that low because at some point you have to play games. Could easily climb back into the top 15 if he stays healthy.

Pool needs ranking:
LW
RD
RW
C
LD
G

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
___ A prospect
1. Caufield
___ B+ prospect
2. Romanov
3. Primeau
___ B prospect
4. Brook
5. Struble
6. Harris
7. Ylonen
8. Norlinder
___ C+ prospect
9. Poehling
10. Hillis
11. Olofsson
12. Vejdemo
13. Teasdale
14. Fairbrother
___ C prospect
15. Demchenko
16. G. Olofsson
17. Pitlick
18. Stapley
19. Khisatmudinov
20. Ikonen
___ C- prospect
21. Harvey-Pinard
22. Alain
23. McNiven
24. LeGuerrier
25. Dichow
___ D prospect
26. Pezzetta
___ E prospect
27. Gorniak
___ F prospect
28. Verbeek
___ Would be hilarious prospect
29. Rucheinski

Biggest potential riser: Poehling, Demchenko, Khisatmudinov, Ikonen, Dichow
Biggest potential faller: Struble, Ylonen, Norlinder, Teasdale, Pitlick

Ikonen is that low because at some point you have to play games. Could easily climb back into the top 15 if he stays healthy.

Pool needs ranking:
LW
RD
RW
C
LD
G
Struble lower for me, more of a physical project than a complete one. Demchenko higher. Teasdale lower don't think he will be much after missing a season. Otherwise kinda the same as my own opinion.

I think Primeau will be a starter.. in eight years; likely not for us.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Struble lower for me, more of a physical project than a complete one. Demchenko higher. Teasdale lower don't think he will be much after missing a season. Otherwise kinda the same as my own opinion.

I think Primeau will be a starter.. in eight years; likely not for us.

Struble could drop pretty fast in the year if he doesn't build on what he was doing at years end (hence potential faller). KHL goalie stats are so different due to the lack of parity in that league that I need to see what Demchenko can do in NA first (hence potential big riser). It's wait and see on Teasdale, but yes he could turn out to be Alain 2.0. Primeau is a RFA until the end of Price contract, so unlikely IMO we trade him unless he falters.

Sam of Montreal

May 5, 2007
--- top prospects tier
1. Caufield
2. Romanov
3. Primeau
--- solid contributors tier
4. Brook
5. Poehling
--- decent players tier
6. Fleury
7. Struble
8. Harris
9. Norlinder
10. Ylonen
---potential depth tier
11. Hillis
12. Fairbrother
13. Olofsson
14. Vejdemo
---- long shot tier
15. Ikonen
16. Stapley
17. Khisamutdinov
18. Leguerrier
19. Pitlick
20. Demchenko
---- hail Mary tier
Harvey-Pinard
Teasdale

Evans graduated, even though that's debatable. Juulsen graduated due to age.

In the long shot tier, I am intrigued with Leguerrier and Khisamutdinov particularly.

Last edited:

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
1. Alexander Romanov
2. Cole Caufield
3. Rodion Amirov**
4. Cayden Primeau
5. Lukas Reichel**
6. Ryan Poehling
7. Jordan Harris
8. Jesse Ylonen
9. Mattias Norlinder
10. Thomas Bordeleau**
11. William Villeneuve**
12. Jayden Struble
13. Cale Fleury
14. Noah Juulsen
15. Josh Brook
16. Jake Evans
17. Cameron Hillis
18. Arsen Khisamutdinov
19. Brett Stapley
20. Rafael Harvey-Pinard
21. Lukas Vejdemo
22. Gianni Fairbrother
23. Jacob Olofsson
24. Rhett Pitlick
25. Vasili Demchenko
HM Otto Leskinen, Joni Ikonen

Last edited:
Reactions: Gains

DinosaurBones

Sep 18, 2018
Just my opinion, but I don't consider Fleury graduated. At this point, from Julien's presser, Romanov has more graduated than Fleury, even though we who weren't in the bubble haven't yet seen Romanov play.

It sounds like Fleury will continue his development in the AHL next year unless he can beat Mete out in camp.
Yeah I could agree with that, having Fleury graduated was up in the air for me. I would have him right around where I have Harris/Struble if I didn’t have him in my graduated list

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Surprised to see Norlinder so low still. He's no lower than top 4. I'd probably still put him ahead of Primeau though. So he's no lower than #3. He easily could be our #1 at the end of the year though.

Shocked to see him behind Ylonen and Harris on some. I've really cooled on Ylonen.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
habsdraft3.jpg

Reactions: dralaf and 26Mats

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Not a knock on Jordan Harris who's a fine pick but if he's your second most valuable prospect, that pool needs work.

Think age 21 and under. The point of prospect pool is to see how the youth looks. Making the cut off from NHL/AHL when the Habs rush prospects is dumb in terms of looking at top prospects.

Harris is not #2.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Surprised to see Norlinder so low still. He's no lower than top 4. I'd probably still put him ahead of Primeau though. So he's no lower than #3. He easily could be our #1 at the end of the year though.

Shocked to see him behind Ylonen and Harris on some. I've really cooled on Ylonen.

It's subjective to who you ask and it's moving targets due to movement from year to year. Those rankings you see on the internet have bias and ignorance.... lack of knowledge. Who knows every teams prospects like that?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad