Possible trade fixes for Red Wings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
This team is more than an UFA rental defenseman away from winning the Stanley Cup...

Nothing short of a cornerstone defenseman will cut it, and those don't grow on trees. Unless Smith is still the "replacement" for Lidstrom hah. May as well turn Smith into a forward, to be honest.

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
Off the top of my head, guys I'd like to see on this team, and that could actually be traded :

Dmitri Kulikov
Tobias Enstrom / Bogosian
Dmitri Orlov
Dan Girardi

Matt Moulson
David Booth

Hoping Edmonton makes a mistake and trades Yakupov.

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
More like more than a UFA D-Man rental away from getting to the 2nd round.
Which is why it doesn't make sense to even think about trading Tatar +1st + whatever to overpay for one.

The only way to "fix" the team is to fix the disconnect between Holland and Babcock. Or cut one of them loose. Until then all the lines will just be a stew of mediocrity plus Datsyuk and Zetterberg.

SimplySolace

"We like our team"
Jun 30, 2013
Off the top of my head, guys I'd like to see on this team, and that could actually be traded :

Dmitri Kulikov
Tobias Enstrom
Dmitri Orlov
Dan Girardi

Matt Moulson
David Booth

Hoping Edmonton makes a mistake and trades Yakupov.

Lol. Ask Isles fans how they feel about Moulson, the guy is useless other than tapping in easy goals, not to mention he would probably cost a 1st since that's all Buffalo wants. And Booth? Just what we need, another man-of-glass with a high cap-hit. No thanks to either

probertrules24

Jul 10, 2007
Canada
So lets say we were to trade a 1st and Tatar for a rental in Girardi. Still a 1st round exit. No 1st next year and trading away an NHL Ready potential 20-25 goal scorer. :yo:

I'm with TZE on this one and Tatar has been one of my favorite prospects for a long time. I may even value him more then Nyquist.

Girardi would help solidify our D for this year and going forward if he's re-signed. I dont look at first round picks as untouchable when it comes to a very solid NHL player. The Quincey deal didn't even bother me as much because we added an NHL player to the roster. Hind site is a little different but at the time I wasn't freaking.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I'm with TZE on this one and Tatar has been one of my favorite prospects for a long time. I may even value him more then Nyquist.

Girardi would help solidify our D for this year and going forward if he's re-signed. I dont look at first round picks as untouchable when it comes to a very solid NHL player. The Quincey deal didn't even bother me as much because we added an NHL player to the roster. Hind site is a little different but at the time I wasn't freaking.

Yeah can get hammered for it now, but completely agreed with the logic behind adding Quincey at the time. We had control over him and at that point we were coming off a NHL record home winning streak and were the best team in the league before injuries.

Datsyuk, Lidstrom, Helm and Howard never really got healthy again, we lost. Then it compounded by Quincey just never living up to even close of what we bought, but at the time it was a solid trade and the kind of trade we should have been doing, it just sucks that it completely exploded in a bad way.

Just sitting around on our hands hasn't done much since then either, we have the prospects to stomach a first round traded this year especially in a weak draft class.

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
Lol. Ask Isles fans how they feel about Moulson, the guy is useless other than tapping in easy goals, not to mention he would probably cost a 1st since that's all Buffalo wants. And Booth? Just what we need, another man-of-glass with a high cap-hit. No thanks to either

I was just naming guys that are rumoured to be available and not pointing out guys like O'Reilly, Berglund, Gagner, Cogliano, Williams that would cost an arm and a leg.

Moulson could be had for some picks and Booth, while injured, can't be worst than Cleary/Samuelsson.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I would swap Booth for Sammy and Tootoo.

Sammy would likely waive for Vancouver, I think it makes some sense. Maybe Booth never gets healthy, but he has known chemistry with Weiss and can get his last crack at staying in the NHL with the hometown wings. Big guy, good skater, just cannot stay healthy, but he is 29. Also probably points towards a Franzen buyout and puts some much needed motivation on Franzen.

Not in love with the trade but I would do it. The additional year of Booth at 4.2 will scare a lot of folks. But the Wings are unlikely to use all of their cap as it is next year and this is a trade I would do. It is also why he costs nothing but our problem contracts to go get.

Bert - Datsyuk - Alfie
Nyquist - Zetterberg - Franzen
Abdelkader - Weiss - Booth
Cleary/Andersson/Glendening - Helm - Miller

Kronwall - Ericsson
Smith - Girardi
Kindl - Dekeyser
Lashoff

Howard
Monster

It is a thought at least. Cleary won't come out, think Eaves is waived no matter what shortly, but that lineup has some speed, size and jam. Maybe we can keep Tootoo, by dumping Eaves in the trade with Vancouver, but I would like to clear some minimal cap, just so we can enter free agency with the amount needed to pursue Vanek or Phaneuf, if they want to. I don't think we will be right up against the cap, but don't think we should trade all expiring deals, I know Tootoo is a fan favorite, but he is movable and he shouldn't be making 1.9 for his role on this team for additional years.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
I would swap Booth for Sammy and Tootoo.

Sammy would likely waive for Vancouver, I think it makes some sense. Maybe Booth never gets healthy, but he has known chemistry with Weiss and can get his last crack at staying in the NHL with the hometown wings. Big guy, good skater, just cannot stay healthy, but he is 29. Also probably points towards a Franzen buyout and puts some much needed motivation on Franzen.

Not in love with the trade but I would do it. The additional year of Booth at 4.2 will scare a lot of folks. But the Wings are unlikely to use all of their cap as it is next year and this is a trade I would do. It is also why he costs nothing but our problem contracts to go get.

Bert - Datsyuk - Alfie
Nyquist - Zetterberg - Franzen
Abdelkader - Weiss - Booth
Cleary/Andersson/Glendening - Helm - Miller

Kronwall - Ericsson
Smith - Girardi
Kindl - Dekeyser
Lashoff

Howard
Monster

It is a thought at least. Cleary won't come out, think Eaves is waived no matter what shortly, but that lineup has some speed, size and jam. Maybe we can keep Tootoo, by dumping Eaves in the trade with Vancouver, but I would like to clear some minimal cap, just so we can enter free agency with the amount needed to pursue Vanek or Phaneuf, if they want to. I don't think we will be right up against the cap, but don't think we should trade all expiring deals, I know Tootoo is a fan favorite, but he is movable and he shouldn't be making 1.9 for his role on this team for additional years.

You want to tie up $4.25M in next year's salary for a guy who isn't even a 40 point player anymore?

Talk about the grass being greener...

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
Why do I keep seeing Booth's name in and around trade proposals involving the Wings? Cause he has Michigan ties? He makes $4.25M. and he's uesless.

He's had chemistry with Weiss in his Florida days and if the Canucks take Samuelsson and Eaves/Tootoo, it opens up a roster spot for Nyquist. It's addition by substraction.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Why do I keep seeing Booth's name in and around trade proposals involving the Wings? Cause he has Michigan ties? He makes $4.25M. and he's uesless.

Because you can trade Sammy and Tootoo for him, both teams would probably do it, clears space off this team and gets rid of some dead-weight. If Booth isn't healthy he is on LTIR for some of the GR guys, I am fine with it, there is a gamble, but oh well, this team is stagnant and this guy has good history with Weiss.

The locker room could use a shake up as well at this point. Maybe that will get a little fire going.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
He's had chemistry with Weiss in his Florida days and if the Canucks take Samuelsson and Eaves/Tootoo, it opens up a roster spot for Nyquist. It's addition by substraction.

And have you noticed how Weiss has played since leaving Florida? And how many players come to Detroit, play for Babcock, and regain their offensive poise?

We aren't talking about two 60 point players here. We're talking about two struggling forwards who are overpaid, no longer young, and can't carry a line on their own. Neither are particularly talented...and yet you think dumping over $9M into the two of them for this year and next is a good idea just because we get rid of Samuelsson?

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
would florida move kulikov? what would it take?

Maybe Jurco and a pick? The asking price is high for the rebuilding Panthers, but Kulikov is a better version of Kindl. He'd fit well in the #4 spot, with Dekeyser and he's making 2.5M, but is slated to become a RFA in July.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
Because you can trade Sammy and Tootoo for him, both teams would probably do it, clears space off this team and gets rid of some dead-weight. If Booth isn't healthy he is on LTIR for some of the GR guys, I am fine with it, there is a gamble, but oh well, this team is stagnant and this guy has good history with Weiss.

The locker room could use a shake up as well at this point. Maybe that will get a little fire going.

Tootoo isn't dead weight. All you're doing is swapping $3M worth of dead weight for $4.25M worth of dead weight. The only difference being, Booth won't get scratched, so he'll be taking away ice time from others, and we all know it won't be other veterans.

Useless, useless trade. A move for the sake of making a move.

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
Tootoo isn't dead weight. All you're doing is swapping $3M worth of dead weight for $4.25M worth of dead weight. The only difference being, Booth won't get scratched, so he'll be taking away ice time from others, and we all know it won't be other veterans.

So what do you suggest? I'm not taking a shot at you here, I'm really clueless at what move would help this team out, because god knows they need one! :laugh:

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

They are also realistic moves, just throwing out some of the things we can do realistically. They might work, they might not, I don't see the future and don't pretend to.

David Booth when healthy is a 6'2" 220 lbs winger that skates well and provides secondary scoring. We have benched Sammy and are only going to play Tootoo 6 minutes a night and have been shopping him for months. I know he has his fans around here but this is realistic.

If/when Booth goes down to injury, you call up Jurco, Sheahan or the like, or if the Tatar deal isn't done of course Nyquist. I prefer this chance to a guy that while exciting for us doesn't provide much in terms of what his coach or front office sees which is quite clear from continually shopping him and usage.

If Booth never gets healthy his 4.25 goes on the LTIR anyway, oh well we tried.

But sure lets try trading our scraps and the youngsters we are willing to part with for Shattenkirk, Campbell and some of the other things that will dominate this thread. Those guys are not available for what we are willing to part with.

Booth can be had for cheap because of his contract and because of his injury issues, sure it isn't a deal we should jump and down for but it is an idea.

Also his existence on the cap, might provide movement towards a Franzen buyout and helps block Cleary's almost certain extension if we keep the roster as is.

Another guy that might be had on the cheap is Havlat out in San Jose, given the way the lineup has clicked without him, his injury history and contract.

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
So what do you suggest? I'm not taking a shot at you here, I'm really clueless at what move would help this team out, because god knows they need one! :laugh:

People get upset when Holland does nothing. And apparently some would even be upset if Holland went out and got Dan Girardi. I guess some people are going to be upset no matter what.:shakehead

probertrules24

Jul 10, 2007
Canada
Maybe Jurco and a pick? The asking price is high for the rebuilding Panthers, but Kulikov is a better version of Kindl. He'd fit well in the #4 spot, with Dekeyser and he's making 2.5M, but is slated to become a RFA in July.

My guess is Kulikov wouldn't be cheap from a prospects point of view. He's a 23 year old 1-2 dman in the making. He's also an RFA not UFA so the team getting him will have some control over his next deal.

Guessing it would be around Smith + Nyquist/Tatar of course this is just a guess but I would think they value him very highly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad