Possible trade fixes for Red Wings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Definitely, would be pretty expensive though. What are the Rangers needs?

it depends.

if girardi is available, likely picks and prospects. that is, they would tank.

and if they won't tank.. and girardi becomes available.. that does raise some question marks. players with his style of play don't usually last that long.

rangers have basically whole team to re-sign after this season. and the decision on whether to buyout brad richards or not.

i'd want anton strålman. cheaper and better at moving the puck. rh shot. and swedish!

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Definitely, would be pretty expensive though. What are the Rangers needs?

Scoring. Not something we have in spades, I know. :laugh:

They'd be tempted by guys like Nyquist and other such forward prospects. Girardi, for the time being, is set to be a UFA. So if they don't reach an agreement this year, his price may not be monumental, but expect a bidding war at the same time.

And once you get him, he's going to want upwards of $5-6 million long-term.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010

Having only seen him a couple of times, is he worth that kind of money? Anyone who watches the Rangers who can chime in?

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I think Tatar and a first might get him, maybe throw in one of our mid-range prospects, hey AV might like Almqvist. He is a UFA rental, but he is a very good stay at home d-man, a shot blocking machine but has the necessary puck moving skills to fit in.

Then you have three defensive D-man going in the lineup on each pairing.

Girardi, Ericsson and DeKeyser.

I also think Girardi would be the perfect babysitter for Smith and bring out his offensive talents.

Hopefully we can cap dump Quincey or someone else in the process. It will really be Tatar and the First they are after, but there are pieces to go get Girardi and then hopefully he is willing to be locked in long-term.

Last edited:

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Having only seen him a couple of times, is he worth that kind of money? Anyone who watches the Rangers who can chime in?

Ehhh, yes and no. Depends how you think about "worth" the money.

Is he comparable to other defenders like JBo, Wideman, Carle, and such that make that money? Yup. He's better in some respects. Do many people consider those guys overpaid? Yup.

If you're talking about market value, it's fair. He's extremely steady defensively, logs big minutes (20-25 per game), never misses games, and has been a clockwork 20-30 point guy.

sully6one

Unregistered User
Aug 6, 2011
Michigan
I'm going to take a sort of wild guess and say we see Eaves and Quincey traded for a cheaper defensemen that is equally or maybe a bit better than Q. We add picks or prospects to even it out. Nyquist called up and Helm off LTIR.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I think Tatar and a first might get him, maybe through in one of our mid-range prospects, he AV might like Almqvist. He is a UFA rental, but he is a very good stay at home d-man, a shot blocking machine but has the necessary puck moving skills to fit in.

I also Girardi would be the perfect babysitter for Smith and bring out his offensive talents.

Hopefully we can cap dump Quincey or someone else in the process. It will really be Tatar and the First they are after, but their are pieces to go get Girardi and then hopefully he is willing to be locked in long-term.

Yeah, exactly. Plus he's "heavy" on the puck and doesn't make a ton of stupid mistakes, so Babcock would love him. It would give Kronwall a rest on the PK, too, so that's pretty important moving forward.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Scoring. Not something we have in spades, I know. :laugh:

They'd be tempted by guys like Nyquist and other such forward prospects. Girardi, for the time being, is set to be a UFA. So if they don't reach an agreement this year, his price may not be monumental, but expect a bidding war at the same time.

Doubt that, he can probably get 4.5, but the market is set on a guy of his abilities. He doesn't have the offensive punch for that in my opinion. Considering what Hjalmarsson got, I cannot see it getting that crazy. He will cost a pretty penny no doubt, but he and Ericsson should be around the 4 million mark, Girardi making a little more, Ericsson hopefully making a little less.

He just answers a lot of our problems, if New York decides to strip some pieces we should be pretty active pursuing him. He also fits our coach but not in a completely anti-puck possession way.

probertrules24

Jul 10, 2007
Canada
I think Tatar and a first might get him, maybe through in one of our mid-range prospects, he AV might like Almqvist. He is a UFA rental, but he is a very good stay at home d-man, a shot blocking machine but has the necessary puck moving skills to fit in.

I also Girardi would be the perfect babysitter for Smith and bring out his offensive talents.

Hopefully we can cap dump Quincey or someone else in the process. It will really be Tatar and the First they are after, but their are pieces to go get Girardi and then hopefully he is willing to be locked in long-term.

I think you nailed it. Girardi was the guy I was going to say just had no idea on his value. I think he's the kind of guy they hold onto until the deadline and cash in big time.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
Girardi would cost a 1st, a player like Tatar/Nyquist, roster player and a high end prospect. Nevermind, didn't realize he was a UFA to be.

probertrules24

Jul 10, 2007
Canada
I've talked to a couple L.A fans who still like Quincey. I would be all for a Quincey for Greene and would be willing to through in a prospect to even out the cap difference.

Greene would look good on the bottom pairing with Smith.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I think you nailed it. Girardi was the guy I was going to say just had no idea on his value. I think he's the kind of guy they hold onto until the deadline and cash in big time.

He will not be a cheap UFA rental, but obviously I hope he is interested in sticking around and I see a real fit here in terms of paying the price it will take.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
He just answers a lot of our problems, if New York decides to strip some pieces we should be pretty active pursuing him. He also fits our coach but not in a completely anti-puck possession way.

Yeah I could be wrong on price, but this much we're not wrong on. He'd be a tailor fit for the team and the next best thing to a legitimate #1 guy.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Girardi would cost a 1st, a player like Tatar/Nyquist, roster player and a high end prospect. Nevermind, didn't realize he was a UFA to be.

no way he would cost that much. upcoming ufa, turns 30 next year and plays 'heavy' style that to me tells that he doesn't have that any effective years left.

if he does cost that much, i'd stay the hell away from him. even would go as far that would move wings back to west.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
i think you are overrating girardi. both staal and mcdonagh are better than him.

Staal and McDonagh are better than anybody on our team probably as well, certainly defensively they have an edge on Kronwall. I think Nik is in the conversation and provides more offensive punch, but lets be honest Staal and McDonagh are damn good defenders, nothing wrong with being slightly worse than those two. Also why might I add, neither of those guys are going to be available even in a tear down.

Girardi is instantly our #2, he provides a right handed shot and he does so many of the little things. A PK tandem of Girardi and Ericsson would be significant, then you could follow up with Kronwall or DeKeyser, either way you get Lashoff back off the team and in the press box, Smith off the pk, Quincey hopefully off the the team altogether. It really fixes our backend and special teams in one fell swoop. Reduce Kronwall's pk time, I can see a lot of good with this move.

Hurts losing Tatar, but we don't have to worry about negotiations with him this summer and if Girardi signs we have a nice piece moving forward and still the money to aggressively pursue Vanek.

Really not seeing a huge downside here, I think it offers so much.

By the way could see Tatar turning into a monster in New York, perfect market for him and AV would likely let him play with Stepan.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
Staal and McDonagh are better than anybody on our team probably as well, certainly defensively they have an edge on Kronwall. I think Nik is in the conversation and provides more offensive punch, but lets be honest Staal and McDonagh are damn good defenders, nothing wrong with being slightly worse than those two.

Girardi is instantly our #2, he provides a right handed shot and he does so many of the little things. A PK tandem of Girardi and Ericsson would be significant, then you could follow up with Kronwall or DeKeyser, either way you get Lashoff back off the team and in the press box, Smith off the pk, Quincey hopefully off the the team altogether. It really fixes our backend and special teams in one fell swoop.

So lets say we were to trade a 1st and Tatar for a rental in Girardi. Still a 1st round exit. No 1st next year and trading away an NHL Ready potential 20-25 goal scorer. :yo:

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
So lets say we were to trade a 1st and Tatar for a rental in Girardi. Still a 1st round exit. No 1st next year and trading away an NHL Ready potential 20-25 goal scorer. :yo:

Are we ever going to use him, are we ever going to get him in a position to be successful, is he going to even stick around on an RFA deal at this point?

Obviously I would like to sign Girardi to an extension is a part of this logic.

I have said several times I don't believe this team wants to keep both Tatar and Nyquist. I don't agree, but we have to give to get, and Girardi provides a big answer. One we know Babcock is comfortable with a defensive player that isn't bereft of puck possession skills and actually plays on both special teams units in New York while providing a right handed shot for us.

We talked about ways to fix the team. We need more offense but that doesn't seem to be the coaches answer. Girardi is a potential fix, we then get Nyquist in Tatar's spot.

I also think this years draft is exceptionally weak, I am not worried at all about losing a first in this draft if it fixes a significant area.

I just see Girardi as a big fit, sucks to lose Tatar, but lets be honest people we aren't getting a reasonable fix by dumping Cleary, Quincey, Eaves, Bert, Sammy or Tootoo. Now waiving one or two can see a more optimum lineup with what we have and that would help, but in a trade thread, we are going to have to give up something. They will want offensive talent and a pick.

I protect Nyquist, Jurco and Mantha first, I just do. Others can ship Nyquist I am fine with that, not what I would do, hence why Tatar lost out in my proposal.

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
I still say we try to go after Shattenkirk

Thing is, you have to look at the team you'd be dealing with and their current situation. We don't have the pieces to trade for Shattenkirk and make St. Louis a better team now. So why does St Louis do this? They're contending. We have to look to struggling teams that won't mind taking picks, prospects and vets in exchange for their assets. So Buffalo fits the bill, maybe New York if they continue to struggle.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Also we are running out of spots, we cannot even get these guys in the lineup, we are flooded with too many guys than we know what to do with. Hopefully the right guys are shipped and the right guys are kept, but at some point some of these guys are going to have to move on. Getting a Girardi an established guy like that seems worth it.

At some point soon we are going to plummet all these guys value, what do you think we would have got for Smith a couple years ago?

Everyone has there guys, but we are going to lose some of the guys we like if we enter the trade market, it is time to get a little more aggressive again.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Sure. Starts with 1st, Smith, XO, Jarnkrok, Mantha and Mrazek.

Thing is, you have to look at the team you'd be dealing with and their current situation. We don't have the pieces to trade for Shattenkirk and make St. Louis a better team now. So why does St Louis do this? They're contending. We have to look to struggling teams that won't mind taking picks, prospects and vets in exchange for their assets. So Buffalo fits the bill, maybe New York if they continue to struggle.

Replace Mantha with Quincey and I'm sold

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad