Speculation: Possible trade coming up? (UPD: Jacob de la Rose cut)

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
you'd be surprised to see how many teams have worse players on their 4th line.

but if everyone is kept and they all split games, making them 13/14th forwards, no one will be interested to spend assets (even late round pick) for a guy like Moen, they'll call up their own plug to spend the year in the stands

It's the $$$$$
I'd keep Moen in a heartbeat if he was still that guy who could drop them 5-6 times a year.
But his personal health isn't worth it he's one good hit away from permanent retirement.
One of the reasons we paid him that way was we assumed he would continue on in that role.
It's alarming how getting caught once real good can change everthing (right Mike).
I'm concerned we've left Prusty out on an island he can't defend. :help:

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
It's the $$$$$
I'd keep Moen in a heartbeat if he was still that guy who could drop them 5-6 times a year.
But his personal health isn't worth it he's one good hit away from permanent retirement.
One of the reasons we paid him that way was we assumed he would continue on in that role.
It's alarming how getting caught once real good can change everthing (right Mike).
I'm concerned we've left Prusty out on an island he can't defend. :help:

the $ isnt that much of a problem, while it's true that he's now overpaid (for the reasons you mentionned), team(s) trading for him could easily send us back a 4th liner making more or less 1M, meaning they wouldnt add a whole 1.8M on their cap.

or in a bigger trade he could be used as a salary dump to even things out, but not if everyone is kept and he's used as a 14th forward.

Smokey Thompson

May 8, 2013
So not worried about JDLR. The guy is gonna be a very valuable player for the Habs in years to come. He already does a bunch of little things that will make a really good nhler and on top of that he looks to be a very smart player out there. I truly believe he's one of those types that will shine in the playoffs, he's just built that way. Big body, very good skater, big strides, long reach, very solid in the corners, wins one-on-one battle, looks to have great hockey iq. I totally understand why he was one the last cut.

Agreed. He has NHL written all over him.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
What an anticlimactic thread. After all of the hype and excited posts, we are left with nothing more than a player being sent down to Hamilton.

Sort of like seeing a profile of a hot woman on a dating site, followed by a lot of spicy and steamy emails back and forth. When the time comes to finally meet, you arrive at the decided upon location only to find out it was your little sister with a fake profile.

Same kind of letdown.:nod:

Now what.....:sarcasm:;)

AntonCH

Jul 6, 2009
What an anticlimactic thread. After all of the hype and excited posts, we are left with nothing more than a player being sent down to Hamilton.

Sort of like seeing a profile of a hot woman on a dating site, followed by a lot of spicy and steamy emails back and forth. When the time comes to finally meet, you arrive at the decided upon location only to find out it was your little sister with a fake profile.

So, what did you do after you found out it was your sister?

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal

We pray the changes on the backend results in GOALS.
I'm really not sure the changes up front do anything to help our 26th ES ranking.
26th ES 19th PP wow thank you Carey...

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
I don't see this at all.
We seem to have two players nobody wants and possibly a third (recent acquisition)
Travis Moen is one of them the other one lives on our first line.
Until we straighten out that mess DLR can't possibly help this team.
I was hyped he was kept around because I thought management were finally going to pull that plug.
Nope just another year of ill advised line combos and shuffling Gallagher around.

Moen was a stanley cup winner and although that was years ago with Anaheim you would be suprised at how that trophy win carries a player or helps them maintain relevance. He will go to a western team because he is that type of player, big, strong and defensively responsible. He is not a fit here anymore but is still a decent player that will eventually go elsewhere when injuries occur.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Maybe MB is still working on a trade...usually no rumors come out and a deal is done.

I doubt the habs or Moen want him as a 14th forward.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Moen was a stanley cup winner and although that was years ago with Anaheim you would be suprised at how that trophy win carries a player or helps them maintain relevance. He will go to a western team because he is that type of player, big, strong and defensively responsible. He is not a fit here anymore but is still a decent player that will eventually go elsewhere when injuries occur.

I agree Moen got a ton of mileage out of what once WAS.
My concern is the here and now. Injuries sure but most teams like Montreal will opt to call up a fourth line player vs investing 1.8M. Moens greatest assets WERE his ability to deliver hard legal hits. Can only catch up to a few now. His ability to drop them when required. No thank you call 911. His ability to play a strong zone game. Still has it but is slowing rapidly. Not so easy to move in my mind.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
Maybe MB is still working on a trade...usually no rumors come out and a deal is done.

I doubt the habs or Moen want him as a 14th forward.

I think its a similar situation to Tinordi with the D, right now he's our 7th guy on D but with injuries and players struggling I don't think he'll have a problem getting in like 50-60 games.

Up front with question marks like Bourque and Sekac on the third line, Prust's injury history, Malholtra's age and Weise's inconsistency plus injuries happening I don't think Bournival and Moen will have a problem getting into over 50 games this year.

Won't be surprised to see Therrien go with a Moen - Prust - Weise line a lot when we play more physical teams as well.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
My concern is the here and now. Injuries sure but most teams like Montreal will opt to call up a fourth line player vs investing 1.8M. Moens greatest assets WERE his ability to deliver hard legal hits. Can only catch up to a few now. His ability to drop them when required. No thank you call 911. His ability to play a strong zone game. Still has it but is slowing rapidly. Not so easy to move in my mind.

Moen's greatest asset the last few years has been his penalty killing and last year he was probably our second best penalty killing forward after Plekanec. Given how we've struggled on the PK this pre-season I think we're better off keeping Moen for now, sucks we're paying $1,8 mill for a guy who won't play all the time but he's still a useful player and a solid locker room guy to have around.

HCH

Dec 17, 2003
The Wild West
Visit site
I think its a similar situation to Tinordi with the D, right now he's our 7th guy on D but with injuries and players struggling I don't think he'll have a problem getting in like 50-60 games.

Up front with question marks like Bourque and Sekac on the third line, Prust's injury history, Malholtra's age and Weise's inconsistency plus injuries happening I don't think Bournival and Moen will have a problem getting into over 50 games this year.

Won't be surprised to see Therrien go with a Moen - Prust - Weise line a lot when we play more physical teams as well.

Perhaps there is a role for Moen on the team but $1.85 million is a lot for an extra forward who plays 50 games and low minutes. Salary always comes into it and Bergevin has shown he isn't afraid to make moves that give him cap flexibility.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Moen's greatest asset the last few years has been his penalty killing and last year he was probably our second best penalty killing forward after Plekanec. Given how we've struggled on the PK this pre-season I think we're better off keeping Moen for now, sucks we're paying $1,8 mill for a guy who won't play all the time but he's still a useful player and a solid locker room guy to have around.

That the PK falls under zone play
i agree on principle we keep him for now. I wonder how many penalties he kills from the press box...
Injuries are sure to occur but will we promote upwards from within or from without?

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008

If Malhotra does well on faceoffs and PK, I doubt they'll sit him when healthy to play Prust at C.

I could see Weise or Sekac/Bourque(if they struggle) scratched.

Still not a great situation for a guy like Moen, right now he is plan B if somebody gets hurt as I'm sure the team wants Bournival to play a lot at 22.

Last edited:

Big Lurk

Aug 2, 2013

I think Moen's game is under appreciated. If Prust repeats his playoffs performances throughout the season, having Travis on the team might come in handy.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I think Moen's game is under appreciated. If Prust repeats his playoffs performances throughout the season, having Travis on the team might come in handy.

Yeah...
I don't know I have always loved Moen on this club. (not that my posts reflect that)
But it is even a stronger indication that it is time having said and meant that...
Time to move on.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

There were so many warning signs that it might be the case.

So many of us wondering why this was kept open.

And to make matters worse ... it continues to linger. Go figure. :help:

habitue*

That was a different era buddy. Time to move on. **** happens. Besides, I think that trade Kristo-Thomas trade is looking good, not exceedingly great though.

It's pretty much a draw for the time being. Two guys who will possibly do very good at AHL this season. But how many NHL games either of them will play in their hockey carreer is still a mystery.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad