Speculation: Possible trade coming up? (UPD: Jacob de la Rose cut)

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
The kid is really not far from NHL. But I would like to see him score a bit more goals. Right now, he looks like he will remain a third liner (a very good one) for ever and ever...

For ever and ever based on what, one pre-season?

Reminds me of Pierre McGuire saying Max Pacioretty was gonna become the next Mike McPhee.

habitue*

For ever and ever based on what, one pre-season?

Reminds me of Pierre McGuire saying Max Pacioretty was gonna become the next Mike McPhee.

Based also on his play in Sweden.

Very reliable (too much) defensively. I want him to develop his offensive game a bit more. I hope he's gonna play top-6 in Hamilton.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I don't have a problem with JDLR getting sent down, he'll be next-in-line and injuries as we all know, happen at the drop of a hat. Let him accumulate his minutes, at least we have some high upside talent waiting in the wings, for a change.

Moen may not have garnered a taker at the right price or required too much in the way of satisfying a counterpart's demands, so we might as well stay as we are than get into a trade that compromises our priorities.

I'm particularly happy that we are giving an opportunity to several young players at the NHL level and in that way, we are going where the rest of the league is going -- it's a younger man's game now, where speed and speed of execution is at a premium. This is by far the most exciting edition of the Habs in a long time.

Grant McCagg

@duhduhduh
Dec 13, 2010
I thought he looked like the most polished of all our young players who were vying for a spot.

I think people expect more offense, but I don't think he's that kind of player...doesn't mean he won't put up points, but I don't ever think people will find that JDLR does anything that stands out in particular, but I thought all preseason long, he won his faceoffs, chipped the puck in/out when he played wing, great on the backcheck, and made high %'age plays almost every time he had the puck

looks like the coaching staff also thought this...let's be honest, if it wasn't for Moen's contract, he'd be on the team.

Very excited about JDLR as a prospect, especially if he continues as a center...a position that the Habs are weak in organizationally

Not many 19-year-olds at their first NHL camp "stand out" offensively..I wouldn't be too quick to discount his offensive upside because he didn't produce points versus NHLrs..I thought his offensive confidence grew significantly from the start of camp until the end. He looked more confident versus NHLers at the end of camp than he did versus fellow Hab rookies in rookie camp IMO.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
The kid is really not far from NHL. But I would like to see him score a bit more goals. Right now, he looks like he will remain a third liner (a very good one) for ever and ever... Right now, he seems better tha lots of regular third liners in the league. But he should develop his offensive side a bit more and eventually play on a second line - center or LW.

Again...goal totals are largely circumstancial.

Look at Alex Burrows...it amazes me how a guy with such limited talent, managed to get 3 consecutive seasons of over 25 goals (including one where he scored 35 goals).

But the reason why he did was because he happened to play win with the Sedin brothers while they were at their peak.

Moral of the story...JDLR has enough talent to score goals in the NHL, how many he'll score depends on a lot of factors which he may not have control over. I don't think he's ever going to learn how to be a natural goal scorer in the AHL, because I just don't think he's that type of player (might be wrong, but this opinion has been shared by many scouts, and everything I've seen so far, supports it).

All in all...I think JDLR is going to become a player much more valuable than the amount of goals he puts up

Grant McCagg

@duhduhduh
Dec 13, 2010
DLR showed his offensive upside in last year's U-20 - including a hard shot that I wish he'd use more. Can he play for Sweden at the next U-20, or will they not take him because he came to NA?

habitue*

Again...goal totals are largely circumstancial.

Look at Alex Burrows...it amazes me how a guy with such limited talent, managed to get 3 consecutive seasons of over 25 goals (including one where he scored 35 goals).

But the reason why he did was because he happened to play win with the Sedin brothers while they were at their peak.

Moral of the story...JDLR has enough talent to score goals in the NHL, how many he'll score depends on a lot of factors which he may not have control over. I don't think he's ever going to learn how to be a natural goal scorer in the AHL, because I just don't think he's that type of player (might be wrong, but this opinion has been shared by many scouts, and everything I've seen so far, supports it).

All in all...I think JDLR is going to become a player much more valuable than the amount of goals he puts up

Yeah. But if the guy cannot score 10+ goals a year and 30+ points, he will find himself on a fourth line pretty fast.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Not many 19-year-olds at their first NHL camp "stand out" offensively..I wouldn't be too quick to discount his offensive upside because he didn't produce points versus NHLrs..I thought his offensive confidence grew significantly from the start of camp until the end. He looked more confident versus NHLers at the end of camp than he did versus fellow Hab rookies in rookie camp IMO.

He could become our next Guy Carbonneau with time.
Remember Guy had a huge offensive upside as well.
But I agree wholeheartedly a 19 year old who grew with each shift seemingly.
Winning face-offs doing all those little things that matter most to coaches and least to fans. :)

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa

Sorry...maybe I wasn't clear.

I'm not discounting his offensive upside at all, the point i'm trying to make, perhaps not well enough lol...is that i'm personally not too concerned with him going down to the AHL and scoring a boat load of goals, because I think there's so much more in his game that he brings to the table

The offense, goals and points will come just because of how smart of a player he is...perfect example is Tomas Plekanec.

I don't find he has natural offensive talent, but he's managed to rack up a good amount of points his career because he's so intelligent. I see JDLR having a similar career path, perhaps even better

GREMLIN

Tanking enthusiast
Sep 19, 2013
Sorry...maybe I wasn't clear.

I'm not discounting his offensive upside at all, the point i'm trying to make, perhaps not well enough lol...is that i'm personally not too concerned with him going down to the AHL and scoring a boat load of goals, because I think there's so much more in his game that he brings to the table

The offense, goals and points will come just because of how smart of a player he is...perfect example is Tomas Plekanec.

I don't find he has natural offensive talent, but he's managed to rack up a good amount of points his career because he's so intelligent. I see JDLR having a similar career path, perhaps even better

I fully agree with you, I dont think JDLR will ever be a prime offensive talent, a guy who can carry a line on his own but I think he'll be a hell of a complimentary player, kinda like Gallagher who makes any line that he's on click. He'll fit in very well on any line in the top 9. His powerful skating stride, hockey IQ and mix of size/strength already make him a hell of a player without the puck, when he throws a hit you can tell it's powerful and he's very responsible in the D zone.

I was also really impressed with the power of his shot when I saw him at dev. camp, haven't seen enough of him to really get a good grasp of his potential as a goal scorer, I have no idea if he has the ability to pick corners or the quick release needed to be effective with limited time and space at the NHL level but he can shoot it hard for sure.

Just an overall solid hockey player, he does everything so well he'll be a core piece very soon IMO.

With that said, I fully agree with him going down to the AHL, it'll do him wonders getting accustomed to the smaller ice with bigger responsabilities and getting to understand what works and what not in the offensize zone at this level.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
Bergevin is such a tease, keeping DLR for so long.

I wonder if they were considering dumping some vets for him.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006

meh, he'll try to trade a guy like Moen for example if he wants to make room for the kid, DLR can be called back up an any time. And until a trade happens the kid can play full time in the AHL.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
The Leafs will injure someone like they do every year and DLR will get the call back up. No big deal.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Moen will be moved as soon as an NHL team gets an injury, DLR stayed with the team till the end and it was no fluke. The Habs want this kid in the lineup and it's just a matter of time. There might also be a chance that Sekac gets a 10-15 game tryout and if he struggles can be sent down and DLR gets called up.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008

It may be as simple as having Eller and Parenteau questionable for opening night plus Moen potentially being on the move.

Moen will be moved as soon as an NHL team gets an injury, DLR stayed with the team till the end and it was no fluke. The Habs want this kid in the lineup and it's just a matter of time. There might also be a chance that Sekac gets a 10-15 game tryout and if he struggles can be sent down and DLR gets called up.

I don't think it's that simple, he has a 1.85 mil cap hit next year, that's a big part of the problem. Lots of teams have injuries and I'm sure none will take the contract without giving a similar one back. That's the only reason Moen is still a Hab. I'm sure MB would prefer to free up the cap space and have a happy Moen than having him sit as a 14th(or 13th) forward.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
It may be as simple as having Eller and Parenteau questionable for opening night plus Moen potentially being on the move.

I don't think it's that simple, he has a 1.85 mil cap hit next year, that's a big part of the problem. Lots of teams have injuries and I'm sure none will take the contract without giving a similar one back. That's the only reason Moen is still a Hab. I'm sure MB would prefer to free up the cap space and have a happy Moen than having him sit as a 14th(or 13th) forward.

The teams who would look to Moen aren't the teams with less than 5mil cap space. His cap hit isn't problematic. It's the fact that most rosters are already set a day before the season starts. He'll be moved when injuries hit other teams.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal

I don't see this at all.
We seem to have two players nobody wants and possibly a third (recent acquisition)
Travis Moen is one of them the other one lives on our first line.
Until we straighten out that mess DLR can't possibly help this team.
I was hyped he was kept around because I thought management were finally going to pull that plug.
Nope just another year of ill advised line combos and shuffling Gallagher around.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
I don't see this at all.
We seem to have two players nobody wants and possibly a third (recent acquisition)
Travis Moen is one of them the other one lives on our first line.
Until we straighten out that mess DLR can't possibly help this team.
I was hyped he was kept around because I thought management were finally going to pull that plug.
Nope just another year of ill advised line combos and shuffling Gallagher around.

can't keep DLR and have Moen sit for most of the games, with a cap hit close to 2M, he'd become untradable.

so you send the kid down and have him play a lot, and have Moen play some games so he can be sold as a regular player or something.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
can't keep DLR and have Moen sit for most of the games, with a cap hit close to 2M, he'd become untradable.

so you send the kid down and have him play a lot, and have Moen play some games so he can be sold as a regular player or something.

I think Moen is already untradeable.

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004
So not worried about JDLR. The guy is gonna be a very valuable player for the Habs in years to come. He already does a bunch of little things that will make a really good nhler and on top of that he looks to be a very smart player out there. I truly believe he's one of those types that will shine in the playoffs, he's just built that way. Big body, very good skater, big strides, long reach, very solid in the corners, wins one-on-one battle, looks to have great hockey iq. I totally understand why he was one the last cut.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
I think Moen is already untradeable.

you'd be surprised to see how many teams have worse players on their 4th line.

but if everyone is kept and they all split games, making them 13/14th forwards, no one will be interested to spend assets (even late round pick) for a guy like Moen, they'll call up their own plug to spend the year in the stands

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad