OT: Possible NBA Team In Pittsburgh

mynameisnick4

Jan 18, 2012
Pittsburgh
For what it is worth Pittsburgh is the largest market without an NBA team. The thing working against it is that it is not currently a large enough market to support four major league professional franchises. However, as I said, if Amazon moves here it is almost guaranteed that an NBA franchise will get serious consideration.
Screw Amazon coming here, I like the low cost of living Pittsburgh provides.

As far as an NBA team is concerned, no thanks. I personally would have zero interest in an NBA team nor do I even know anyone that would have any.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
NBA team would be more popular than the Condors, and probably less popular than the Pisces. It would not immediately overtake the Pens in popularity. If it were timed to coincide with the inevitable post-Sid/Geno hangover, and if the NBA is as generous with an expansion franchise as the NHL was with VGK, then maybe it would take off.

"Here's our new franchise player! Lebron James, aged 49."

DeadPuckEra

Dec 19, 2014
The 4 sports town argument in relation to Pittsburgh is bogus. The talk of it being a football town was once true, however it’s no longer just a football town to anyone who is younger than the baby boomers.

As long as the teams are average to above average - people will show and money will be made.Like any other business, if you perform poorly, things won’t turn out well.

Basketball isn’t “big” here like hockey wasn’t “big” here before it arrived. It’s not big because it’s not here lol

You put a black and gold NBA team in PPG, get a semi-big name or two on the roster and people are going to show up for that.

I would venture to guess that the Penguins would not be overly ectastic however, given the supposed ice conditions - which would be amplified by putting down a hardwood floor.

Last edited:

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I think the NBA is okay, I just kind of don't understand any sport without inherent violence in it. So, sure, since we have the Pirates, might as well have something too. At least basketball is more than a spreadsheet.

Just give 'em a better name than the freakin' Utah Jazz.

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
The 4 sports town argument in relation to Pittsburgh is bogus. The talk of it being a football town was once true, however it’s no longer just a football town to anyone who is younger than the baby boomers.

As long as the teams are average to above average - people will show and money will be made.Like any other business, if you perform poorly, things won’t turn out well.

Basketball isn’t “big” here like hockey wasn’t “big” here before it arrived. It’s not big because it’s not here lol

You put a black and gold NBA team in PPG, get a semi-big name or two on the roster and people are going to show up for that.

I would venture to guess that the Penguins would not be overly ectastic however, given the supposed ice conditions - which would be amplified by putting down a hardwood floor.

Pittsburgh is, and will be for the foreseeable future, a football town.

Steelers fans FAR outnumber Penguin/Pirate fans.

AverageJoeFan

Mad cat
Feb 15, 2018
Pittsburgh
This has been a topic of conversation for decades. Each passing year there are studies done to show that there just isn't a big enough market to support a franchise. Mostly to due to revenue advertising dollars.
Think about it, the lowest team salary in the NBA is 85 Mil. The Pirates, who have been around for over a century, can't support more than 88 Mil (at least according to Nutting). Can you imagine how bad a Pittsburgh NBA franchise would be?

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
Pittsburgh is too small for 4 pro teams. We have a pro sport team playing at all times of the year. That's plenty.

Plus, any future NBA teams will more than likely go to Seattle. The appeal of Seattle is FAR superior than the appeal of Pittsburgh in terms of market size, population, and basketball history.

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
For what it is worth Pittsburgh is the largest market without an NBA team. The thing working against it is that it is not currently a large enough market to support four major league professional franchises. However, as I said, if Amazon moves here it is almost guaranteed that an NBA franchise will get serious consideration.
Seattle?

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Yeah I don't think there's an NBA team with those colors, they would look sharp.

That's about all the idea has going for it though imo.

Yeah Indiana has yellow and blue. But no team with that. Could have an all Black with yellow trim. All Yellow with black trim. All white with yellow/black.

But yeah, unless the NBA would help Pitt like the NHL did with Vegas..its way too hard to become a top team in the NBA. Even then it doesnt last. Zero loyalty.

Reactions: bathroomSTAAL

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I remember there was talk of the Hornets moving here, but we we far down the list of possible cities. That'd have been a perfect team name to switch to black & gold.

Reactions: HandshakeLin

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
Pittsburgh is, and will be for the foreseeable future, a football town.

Steelers fans FAR outnumber Penguin/Pirate fans.

I don't know if you know this, but literally every city in the United States with an NFL team is a "football town" where fans of the football team far outnumber fans of the non-football teams. Other teams manage to survive, though, through the right combination of team success, area demographics, and area income.

Reactions: bathroomSTAAL

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad