OT: Possible NBA Team In Pittsburgh

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
I wouldn't mind if an MLS team came to Pittsburgh. But that's probably just as likely as the NBA coming here. Too many underserved sports markets who would support a new team like gold.

We're pretty blessed with our sports considering we're the 25th? biggest market in the nation. A team in 3 of the 4 major leagues (this is arguable, I know), 3 major universities in the area, even minor league soccer. I don't think we need, or want, any more sports here. Tho I'm sure most people wouldn't mind a sport to follow during the summer.

Clare2904

LEGEND!
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2016
Montreal
This is something that has been proposed here in Montréal, a few business people got together and are seeking out views for bringing a team here should the NBA ever expand.

I personally have ZERO interest. I went to a few games when I lived in Toronto, to see LeBron, the Bulls and Tony Parker. Bollocks to the rest. Never seen such a predictable league ever.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
This is something that has been proposed here in Montréal, a few business people got together and are seeking out views for bringing a team here should the NBA ever expand.

I personally have ZERO interest. I went to a few games when I lived in Toronto, to see LeBron, the Bulls and Tony Parker. Bollocks to the rest. Never seen such a predictable league ever.
I don't see NBA working in Montreal.

MLB left, they have been trying to get it back and it doesn't even seem like they are seriously trying, it's more of a "hey we are trying...sorta..."

I think out of the Canadian cities that should get an NBA team, would be Vancouver. Living here, the passion for basketball is incredibly high and speaking to some that wear the Grizzlies gear still (that stuff apparently, after some googling, is one of best selling merch still, the team has been gone since when?).

But I think Seattle deserves their team back, then I would say Vancouver deserves one again and if Pittsburgh is still interested and partners with PPG and the Pens, cool. I think it would be neat to have the same ownership for the NBA team.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I don't think there is any interest in the city for basketball.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I wouldn't mind if an MLS team came to Pittsburgh. But that's probably just as likely as the NBA coming here. Too many underserved sports markets who would support a new team like gold.

We're pretty blessed with our sports considering we're the 25th? biggest market in the nation. A team in 3 of the 4 major leagues (this is arguable, I know), 3 major universities in the area, even minor league soccer. I don't think we need, or want, any more sports here. Tho I'm sure most people wouldn't mind a sport to follow during the summer.

"During the summer"...

I think that's the opportunity that people might be looking at though. You have 3 major sports in Pittsburgh. Baseball is one, where it starts in spring and ends before winter starts for obvious reasons.

But you have two options in the fall with Football and Hockey, then you just have Baseball all spring, summer and fall and then just 2 after that in NFL and NHL.

NBA starts around the same time as the NHL/NFL. MLS is one that sort of fills that gap of the summer and muddles up the attendance much less. If you are an owner, you don't want another draw taking away from your NFL or NHL attendance and yeah for the most part, the two crowds are different but when generations get older, you have a blending of the two and it becomes more important than people want to admit.

NBA would suffer greatly in this market because of that. You would need to be VGK good the first year, to really establish that fan base asap, especially when you are going up against the NFL and NHL crowd, also the the scheduling, yeah you would get the fans that will go because the Pens are out of town, but most would probably want to watch the Pens game anyway.

MLS starts around the same time as the MLB season. I hate "futbol" but I think it would be good for the city. I know my Dad would be thrilled to see a Pittsburgh MLS team.

Clare2904

LEGEND!
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2016
Montreal
I don't see NBA working in Montreal.

MLB left, they have been trying to get it back and it doesn't even seem like they are seriously trying, it's more of a "hey we are trying...sorta..."

I think out of the Canadian cities that should get an NBA team, would be Vancouver. Living here, the passion for basketball is incredibly high and speaking to some that wear the Grizzlies gear still (that stuff apparently, after some googling, is one of best selling merch still, the team has been gone since when?).

But I think Seattle deserves their team back, then I would say Vancouver deserves one again and if Pittsburgh is still interested and partners with PPG and the Pens, cool. I think it would be neat to have the same ownership for the NBA team.
Yeah we get the usual Expo's shite trotted out every few months. They would need to build a park in the downtown core near public transit and f*** knows where that real estate is available for a decent cost.

I personally would go to a few ball games but I would treat the team the same way I do the Habs, I will go when there is a decent team in town only.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
This thread's a necro. I don't think the Raiders were moving to LV at the time it was posted.

Well shit. Someone lock it then.

It is a pointless topic that has garnered pretty much...nah f*** that...as a response. Damn.

lol, expect me to look at posting dates!?!?!?!?!

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
It’s bad enough we have a pseudo MLB team. No interest in the NBA.
They keep trying to be better but then fail at that but then figure hey look, we're trying to field a better ball team!

I wish Mario & Burkle were able to buy the team.

Ms Maggie

Apr 11, 2017
For what it is worth Pittsburgh is the largest market without an NBA team. The thing working against it is that it is not currently a large enough market to support four major league professional franchises. However, as I said, if Amazon moves here it is almost guaranteed that an NBA franchise will get serious consideration.
Pretty sure that's not true. San Francisco. San Diego. Seattle.

Reactions: billybudd

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
They keep trying to be better but then fail at that but then figure hey look, we're trying to field a better ball team!

I wish Mario & Burkle were able to buy the team.
Unless there is sustained loss of attendance that will make it to where the team is loosing money for Nutting. He will never sell. As long as he earns, he will hold onto that team with his hill billy fingers in a death grip.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
It’s bad enough we have a pseudo MLB team. No interest in the NBA.
I mean, the if the Pirates ever get their heads out of their asses I think there'd be a good buzz in the city about them. The sheer history of the franchise is awesome and they play in the best stadium in America. I want them to succeed. Doubt it'll happen with this front office/ownership.

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
For what it is worth Pittsburgh is the largest market without an NBA team. The thing working against it is that it is not currently a large enough market to support four major league professional franchises. However, as I said, if Amazon moves here it is almost guaranteed that an NBA franchise will get serious consideration.
Seattle and San Diego are bigger. Kansas City is about the same size and is a better option due to less sports competition.

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
I can go outside my front door and see the border wall and I could go for a walk an see someone wearing Golden State gear. They have a huge amount of California covered. But San Diego could probably support a team.

They have a huge amount of Cali covered because of how dominant they've been. Just like everyone south of Orlando had Heat fever while Lebron was there. Nobody cares anymore.

TNT87

Jun 23, 2010
PA
Anyone remember the Major Indoor Soccer League team the Pittsburgh Spirit?
drago.jpg

Or the indoor lacrosse team the Pittsburgh Bulls?

hqdefault.jpg

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
I can go outside my front door and see the border wall and I could go for a walk an see someone wearing Golden State gear. They have a huge amount of California covered. But San Diego could probably support a team.

They have a huge amount of Cali covered because of how dominant they've been. Just like everyone south of Orlando had Heat fever while Lebron was there. Nobody cares anymore.

It was moreso because @Ms Maggie was saying San Francisco was a major market without a team. I'm pretty sure Oakland is IN the SF market (plus, eventually, GSW will be playing IN SF). And there isn't enough interest for a second team. Like...San Francisco can't be called a market without a team, was my point.

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
To summarize this thread, it looks like most people agree that there are several factors that make Pittsburgh beyond unlikely as an NBA home.

No demand
Too much competition
Shrinking metro population
Better NBA markets elsewhere (Seattle, San Diego, KC)
No demand

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->