Speculation: Possible CAP Dump trades

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Islanders working on trading Boychuk — The Fourth Period

It is unclear what, if anything, the Islanders will receive back in exchange for Boychuk, or which team will be acquiring him. The Islanders are not expected to retain any part of Boychuk’s contract.

The Detroit Red Wings are among the teams the Islanders have spoken with in regards to Boychuk, though it’s not yet known if a deal has been struck between these two clubs or if the Islanders are working on a trade with another team.

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
Pros of trading for Boychuk :

- He's only owed 1.25M in real money for the next two years,
- Booming RHD shot, 6'2'' 227 lbs, not afraid to hit
- He'll most likely come with a prospect or a high pick

Cons of trading for Boychuk

- 6M cap hit
- Right handed D is not really a pressing need with Hronek, Seider, Stecher, Biega, Lindstrom
- He's 36 and clearly on the decline

Peter Tosh

Dec 19, 2007

- 6M cap hit
- Right handed D is not really a pressing need with Hronek, Seider, Stecher, Biega, Lindstrom
We could also use the extra buyout on him, from the Bertuzzi arbitration

Ishad

Jun 2, 2010
Didn’t Vegas say they are keeping MAF?
I don’t care about another 2nd if it isn’t a first or a blue chip prospect we can do without it.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Assuming Dobson and Wahlstrom are still off limits, I'd need a 1st rounder to consider that.
They are off limits. Loophole Lou just signed Cory Schneider as a backup...he's been bad for 4 consecutive seasons & oft injured etc. Maybe we get a 1st outta Boychuk, or prospect (Bellows, Wilde) + 2nd & 3rd?

Last edited:
Reactions: hkydave04

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Didn’t Vegas say they are keeping MAF?
I don’t care about another 2nd if it isn’t a first or a blue chip prospect we can do without it.

Lehner is injured.

Also, how the hell did we miss on Nate Schmidt for a 3rd round pick? What an absolute steal by Vancouver.

Regarding Boychuk, I don't know how the guy ever ended up with a 6 mil cap hit. I don't recall him ever being anything more than a 4th or 5th defenseman. Still, if a protected first was offered up with him I'd jump at it. Maybe the 2 2nds deal if the 1st is a hard no.

Or, what about a prospect instead of the 2nds? How highly do they value Sebastian Aho or Bode Wilde?

Ishad

Jun 2, 2010
Lehner is injured.

Also, how the hell did we miss on Nate Schmidt for a 3rd round pick? What an absolute steal by Vancouver.

Regarding Boychuk, I don't know how the guy ever ended up with a 6 mil cap hit. I don't recall him ever being anything more than a 4th or 5th defenseman. Still, if a protected first was offered up with him I'd jump at it. Maybe the 2 2nds deal if the 1st is a hard no.
Schmidt had a 10 team ntc. Detroit was probably one of them.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Schmidt had a 10 team ntc. Detroit was probably one of them.

Yep.

Would have been no-brainer to take that guy for that bargain, for any team, with enough cap space. But NTC gives the power for the player where to move.

Vegas GM:

"We have 13 different deals on the table, and 8 teams are on your 10-team block list".

"We cut the 8 teams and these 5 are left. Where do you want to move?"

"I'll pick Vancouver."

GM completes the deal.

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
Id be happy with a Boychuk pick up if they toss in a good draft pick and or a prospect close to being ready. Hes got two years left, but not much in actual dollars I believe? Good mentor, and could possibly be bought out, LTIR'ed his final year. Im guessing Yzerman has had alot of discussions with teams looking to use our cap space... Maybe no one wants to pay his high price? A 1st? We are in no rush, I would hope we wait these teams out.. Can drive the price up even more as teams continue to add salary and look to make moves as the new season approaches, GMs will get desperate.

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga
We could also use the extra buyout on him, from the Bertuzzi arbitration

He has a pretty buyout proof contract. A buyout only saves the team about 900k for the next 2 seasons and adds about 800k for the 2 years after that. If we're trading for him he's someone I'd send down to GR or have him fill some sort of "player coach" role like Cleary did. Boychuk is no longer even a #7 at the NHL level and should only be played if we're embracing the tank again.

I think the dream would be to get an unprotected 2022 1st from the Isles. I think the Isles are a team that is already overachieving and in 2 years time they should be battling for a top 5/10 pick. Something like Boychuk+NYI 2022 1st + those 2 Avs 2nds gets the deal done, maybe even just the 2022 if they're playing hard ball.

KasperTheGrittyGhost

Jan 12, 2008
Michigan

- 6M cap hit
Seider is in the SHL until at least the TDL

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
Is Boychuk really only owed 1.25 mil per year. I couldn't tell on cap friendly if his bonus had already been paid for both years. If he is only owed 1.25 in real cash them this could be a great opportunity for the Wings. They could deal a guy like Biega back allowing the Islanders to have a significant cap savings and the Wings could get some picks while paying out close to the same amount of real cash.

I think there is a good chance Seider and Lindstrom (less likely of the 2) end up in Sweden for most of the year. The following year the Wings could always send Boychuk to GR. Its not like the cap space is an issue.

Tetsuo

Boss of a Pile of Rubble
Apr 11, 2018
Michigan
Is Boychuk really only owed 1.25 mil per year. I couldn't tell on cap friendly if his bonus had already been paid for both years. If he is only owed 1.25 in real cash them this could be a great opportunity for the Wings. They could deal a guy like Biega back allowing the Islanders to have a significant cap savings and the Wings could get some picks while paying out close to the same amount of real cash.

I think there is a good chance Seider and Lindstrom (less likely of the 2) end up in Sweden for most of the year. The following year the Wings could always send Boychuk to GR. Its not like the cap space is an issue.
He's owed $5.25M the rest of the way, with half of that being a signing bonus paid out next year.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
He's owed $5.25M the rest of the way, with half of that being a signing bonus paid out next year.
Which team has to pay the signing bonus for next season? If it's the Wings, I don't see the deal happening.

Otherwise sending Biega the other way and buying out Nielsen would make it work out financially.

Tetsuo

Boss of a Pile of Rubble
Apr 11, 2018
Michigan
Which team has to pay the signing bonus for next season? If it's the Wings, I don't see the deal happening.

Otherwise sending Biega the other way and buying out Nielsen would make it work out financially.
The team acquiring him has to pay. It's whoever holds the contract on the day the league year starts. The Boychuck deal is not appealing because he's not a bad enough contract to attach a 1st or Dobson/Wahlstrom to. NYI has a thin prospect pool but Bellows/Holmstrom/Wilde are interesting depth players.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
The team acquiring him has to pay. It's whoever holds the contract on the day the league year starts. The Boychuck deal is not appealing because he's not a bad enough contract to attach a 1st or Dobson/Wahlstrom to. NYI has a thin prospect pool but Bellows/Holmstrom/Wilde are interesting depth players.
I don't see Chris wanting to take on $4M next year for a useless player.

People still talking about taking on big cap dumps... not gonna happen.

I think it would be a big mistake to tie up next year's cap space anyways. There's gonna be some deals next year too, and the team could trade for talent without having to give up a lot of assets.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

Them trying to move Stamkos would be pretty greasy, of course he is fully protected with a NMC.

I don't see how they thought this was going to go. They have reached a bunch of guys that actually took the lesser deals Yzerman sold them on with the promise of security. They like living there and playing for a good team, no thanks ask the next guy. The players are enforcing that security. I mean if I am Stamkos, I say sure, buy my house for 30 million dollars and I am only willing to play in Toronto, have fun working that out with them. Keep in mind he already handed back over 3 million per not to be there in the first place...

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad