Speculation: Possible CAP Dump trades

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Assuming Dobson and Wahlstrom are still off limits, I'd need a 1st rounder to consider that.

If Dobson isn't included, I think I'd rather see the Wings go after Vatanen/Ceci/Hamonic. Next season is clearly going to be awful anyway, adding a pick that will likely be in the latter third of the first round...eh. Or another deal elsewhere. Or I stand by my idea of making a deal to bring in Pulock. Hey, it'd solve NYI's cap issues with re-signing Barzal.

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
www.ShattenkirksKrakenshirt.net
Why on earth would Tampa want to downgrade from Stamkos to Nielsen to save ~3M in cap space? :whaaa?:

Because it saves $3m immediately, then $8.5m for the remaining 2 years of SS's contract of which they've just rid themselves. It also gives them someone for the expansion draft if they don't buy Nielsen out for even more more immediate savings.

Besides, it's not a "downgrade" if he's not playing C anyway, it's simply a cap clearing move. Nielsen can play somewhere else in the lineup if they want to keep him.

Before people get up in arms, start piling on, and using indirect insults, calm the f*** down. I'm not saying this will or even should happen; it's just spitballing.

Last edited:
Reactions: DATSOMATIC13

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Because it saves $3m immediately, then $8.5m for the remaining 2 years of SS's contract of which they've just rid themselves. It also gives them someone for the expansion draft if they don't buy Nielsen out for even more more immediate savings.

Besides, it's not a "downgrade" if he's not playing C anyway, it's simply a cap clearing move. Nielsen can play somewhere else in the lineup if they want to keep him.

Before people get up in arms, start piling on, and using indirect insults, calm the f*** down. I'm not saying this will or even should happen; it's just spitballing.
I've never been a fan of Stamkos (just a vibe), oft-injured usually at crucial times, not a C anymore, $8.5 cap/salary in a flat cap/economy etc....but I could go for this if we don't plan on buying out Frans, which I think happens next season though.

Props on the Disclaimer, I need to remember to use one more often. :laugh::laugh:

Reactions: RedMenace

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Taken from the FA Frenzy board/L.Eriksson cap dump thread...

upload_2020-10-15_19-5-17.png

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Taken from the FA Frenzy board/L.Eriksson cap dump thread...

View attachment 372928
It only saves $500k in real cash because both teams have already paid the signing bonus for this season. Even if both players were bought out after the trade, the Wings still only save $500k more. But it's still a save, so I think the Wings take the trade only if they decide to buy out Nielsen, because buying out LE is cheaper.

Otherwise I don't see it happening, Vancouver can sell a different player to fall within the cap. They won't get desperate enough to throw in a 1st for a cap dump.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
It only saves $500k in real cash because both teams have already paid the signing bonus for this season. Even if both players were bought out after the trade, the Wings still only save $500k more. But it's still a save, so I think the Wings take the trade only if they decide to buy out Nielsen, because buying out LE is cheaper.

Otherwise I don't see it happening, Vancouver can sell a different player to fall within the cap. They won't get desperate enough to throw in a 1st for a cap dump.
Not every capdump has to have a 1st with it, certainly not in this case. It could be a 2nd or 3rd+ prospect, for example. Small wins add up too.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Not every capdump has to have a 1st with it, certainly not in this case. It could be a 2nd or 3rd+ prospect, for example. Small wins add up too.
I don't see why Vancouver has to add anything if Nielsen goes the other way. Seems like a fair trade if the Wings decide to buy Nielsen out, trade for LE whose buyout costs less. I don't see a trade unless there is going to be a buyout, Nielsen is a center that PK. Probably gonna wind up on LTIR anyways.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
Here is a rather Elaborate trade proposal:

Part 1:

TB trades Johnson + 1st + 2nd to Det for "future considerations"

Part 2:

Det trades Johnson + 3rd round pick (Vegas's old pick) to Vegas
For MAF (no retention)

Part 3:
Det trades MAF (50% Retention - 3.5M) to Chicago for a 1st and 2nd round pick

What each team gets:
Detroit Obviously lots of picks.
Vegas Gets a 2C back so Glass is 3rd line C, and dumps fleury's full deal.
Chicago gets a cheap/quality Goalie or 2 years.
TB buys cap space to sign RFA's

If Johnson doesn't sound like a worthwhile player for Vegas, Does Gourde make it work??

Reactions: DATSOMATIC13

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
I don't see why Vancouver has to add anything if Nielsen goes the other way. Seems like a fair trade if the Wings decide to buy Nielsen out, trade for LE whose buyout costs less. I don't see a trade unless there is going to be a buyout, Nielsen is a center that PK. Probably gonna wind up on LTIR anyways.
B/C we have the leverage...we don't "need" to do any of it. VAN "needs" to dump

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
Here is a rather Elaborate trade proposal:

Part 1:

TB trades Johnson + 1st + 2nd to Det for "future considerations"

Part 2:

Det trades Johnson + 3rd round pick (Vegas's old pick) to Vegas
For MAF (no retention)

Part 3:
Det trades MAF (50% Retention - 3.5M) to Chicago for a 1st and 2nd round pick

What each team gets:
Detroit Obviously lots of picks.
Vegas Gets a 2C back so Glass is 3rd line C, and dumps fleury's full deal.
Chicago gets a cheap/quality Goalie or 2 years.
TB buys cap space to sign RFA's

If Johnson doesn't sound like a worthwhile player for Vegas, Does Gourde make it work??

Chicago gets absolutely bent. I also wouldn’t take on Johnson for a 1st and 2nd

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
Well what is a realistic return from Chicago, 2nd round pick + prospect?

Also we flip Johnson, so we don't take him really.

If Chicago wants MAF, why wouldn’t Vegas just retain and trade him there instead of taking on Johnson? And yeah, I doubt you’d do better than a 2nd round pick for Fleury retained

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
If Chicago wants MAF, why wouldn’t Vegas just retain and trade him there instead of taking on Johnson? And yeah, I doubt you’d do better than a 2nd round pick for Fleury retained
TJ to VGK makes sense after dumping Stastny...Glass has a lot of pressure to be 2C out of the gate, this eases that. SC winner etc.

Also, (2) 2nds for a retained MAF is reasonable. ($3.5m X 2yrs). Staal is less $alary, but bigger cap & got us a much better 2nd.

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
TJ to VGK makes sense after dumping Stastny...Glass has a lot of pressure to be 2C out of the gate, this eases that. SC winner etc.

Also, (2) 2nds for a retained MAF is reasonable. ($3.5m X 2yrs). Staal is less $alary, but bigger cap & got us a much better 2nd.

That wouldn’t apply to Fleury. Why would Chicago care how much Detroit is retaining? Fleury has negative value at 7 million.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
That wouldn’t apply to Fleury. Why would Chicago care how much Detroit is retaining? Fleury has negative value at 7 million.
I'm aware of the negative value of MAF @ $7, but if CHI wants him @ $3.5 with us doing the retaining, we're not gaining much if all we get is a 2nd from CHI while simultaneously losing a 3rd to facilitate the deal. So we jump ~40 spots (1 rd.) for retaining $3.5m for 2 yrs, that's insane.

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
I'm aware of the negative value of MAF @ $7, but if CHI wants him @ $3.5 with us doing the retaining, we're not gaining much if all we get is a 2nd from CHI while simultaneously losing a 3rd to facilitate the deal. So we jump ~40 spots (1 rd.) for retaining $3.5m for 2 yrs, that's insane.

And again, Chicago doesn’t care. There were rumors that teams wanted picks from Vegas in addition to MAF being retained 50%. Why would a team who is maybe 50/50 on making the playoffs next year spend significant assets to bring in a goalie in the offseason?

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
And again, Chicago doesn’t care. There were rumors that teams wanted picks from Vegas in addition to MAF being retained 50%. Why would a team who is maybe 50/50 on making the playoffs next year spend significant assets to bring in a goalie in the offseason?
Then we don't trade for MAF, simple really. We'll just get some picks & prospect(s) from TBL for TJ...JBB has gotta be sweating bullets by now (now that the Cup hangover has likely worn off)

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
B/C we have the leverage...we don't "need" to do any of it. VAN "needs" to dump
IF Stevie plans to buy out Nielsen, it saves Chris $500k. We all know he's pinching pennies, so he'd do it without any picks.

IF they don't plan on buying out Nielsen, I don't see a deal.

I really don't see the Wings taking on any cap dump. Doesn't seem to be prudent business to pinch pennies on actual roster players then spend millions on a second rounder when second rounders are hit or miss.

If there's a deal, it has to be a minimum of a first rounder, and I don't see any teams throwing out a first to dump salary. So basically, no deals will happen, at least with the Wings. Sure, you can mention Staal, but Stevie actually plans on playing him, so it's not a pure dump.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016

To me it sounds like Chicago is going for the tank. Subban as anything on your team is terrible, and it gets worse after him. May as well sign Jimmy Howard.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad