Speculation: Possible CAP Dump trades

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
So there are 3 teams I see that have significant issues with Salary cap that we could help out.
I will propose 3 Deals.

Someone improve these deals, or comment on which we would prefer or If there are other teams we can take advantage of:

1) Golden Knights:

We trade Vegas 3rd round pick
for
2021 1st round pick + MAF (No Retention)

We than flip MAF (50% retained - 3.5M x 2 years) to someone else (Fill in the Blank)
for two 2nd round picks (or a 2nd + 3rd round pick). (or whatever we can get you know).

2) NYI

We take on some cap dumps, maybe shorter deals like Clutterbuck and Komarov or Leddy or Boychuk
For a 1st round pick OR equivalent prospect.

3) TB

Not sure how to avoid long term with TB, only Palat and Killorn have 2 year deals
Gourde is 5 years, Johnson is 4 years.

What should we be looking for from TB??

I think we should be thinking about this right now, as I am sure Yzerman is, and has offers on the table for some kind of cap dumps.

ArmChairGM89

Dec 10, 2019
Hopefully we’re able to do something at all. Teams seem to be more keen on buy outs than giving away assets so far.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
Hopefully we’re able to do something at all. Teams seem to be more keen on buy outs than giving away assets so far.

Maybe, but the main buyout window is closed, except for teams that have people going through salary arbitration.

So Far I have Vegas fans cool with giving up their 1st.
NYI fans cool with giving up 3rd + any prospect not named Wahlstrom/Dobson.

ArmChairGM89

Dec 10, 2019
Maybe, but the main buyout window is closed, except for teams that have people going through salary arbitration.

So Far I have Vegas fans cool with giving up their 1st.
NYI fans cool with giving up 3rd + any prospect not named Wahlstrom/Dobson.
Just saying what I’ve seen. A ton of buyouts and very few cap dumps.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
how many rosters spots do the Wings have open right now? Aren't they pretty close to full capacity?

Popular opinion says the rosters will be expanded due to the prospect of an AHL season looking so grim.

DatsDeking

Jun 25, 2013
I think if we do this we would need to send a player or two back the other way which would cut into how much the other team is saving.

I get the plan behind signing these short term, low money guys, but they do take a roster spot. That makes it a little tougher when trading now. I think our window to take a on big cap dump is slightly closed now. Not that it’s impossible, but it’ll take the other team taking a body back which for a team trying to land Pietro might no be preferable.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Yup once Bertuzzi, Mantha and Timashov sign we're at the 23 man roster limit.

The 23 man roster does not take effect until the end of the preseason technically (unless they changed this in the new CBA). I would also encourage you to think about whether there will be an AHL season this year and what impact it will have on NHL roster sizes.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
So there are 3 teams I see that have significant issues with Salary cap that we could help out.
I will propose 3 Deals.

Someone improve these deals, or comment on which we would prefer or If there are other teams we can take advantage of:

1) Golden Knights:

for

We than flip MAF (50% retained - 3.5M x 2 years) to someone else (Fill in the Blank)
for two 2nd round picks (or a 2nd + 3rd round pick). (or whatever we can get you know).

2) NYI

We take on some cap dumps, maybe shorter deals like Clutterbuck and Komarov or Leddy or Boychuk

3) TB

Not sure how to avoid long term with TB, only Palat and Killorn have 2 year deals

I think we should be thinking about this right now, as I am sure Yzerman is, and has offers on the table for some kind of cap dumps.
You guys didn’t get enough for taking on Staal. That’s become obvious with hindsight.

Reactions: Winger98

WolvesAndWings

Wherever I go, the strawman follows
Mar 18, 2017
You guys didn’t get enough for taking on Staal. That’s become obvious with hindsight.

I would've liked a 1st but a 2nd was fine. The market wasn't necessarily set just because one of the worst GMs in the league (Dubas) traded a 1st to get rid of Marleau. NYR also could've kept Staal if they had to and it would've been fine. Keeping Staal around wasn't going to prevent them from using one of their best players as was the case in TOR last year.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Johnny Boychuk rumoured to be cap dump.

I'd do:

RD Boychuk (6.0M, 2 years left) + incentive <> LD Patrik Nemeth 50% retained (1.5M)

That would work for Isles and also would fit with our handnesses:

LD DeKeyser - RD Hronek
LD Merrill - RD Boychuk
LD MStaal - RD Stecher
LD Cholowski - RD Biega

Incentive = 1st rounder or 2x 2nd, thank you.

Reactions: Steve Yzerlland

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
I would've liked a 1st but a 2nd was fine. The market wasn't necessarily set just because one of the worst GMs in the league (Dubas) traded a 1st to get rid of Marleau. NYR also could've kept Staal if they had to and it would've been fine. Keeping Staal around wasn't going to prevent them from using one of their best players as was the case in TOR last year.
I’d have thrown a 2021 1st at Detroit to take the last year of Ian Coles deal and he’s due 4.25mm cap and $3mm cash.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
MAF seems appealing because I think it could come with a pretty strong asset but I wouldn't do it for peanuts that is a pretty heavy contract.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I will propose 3 Deals.

1) Golden Knights:

for

2) NYI

3) TB

1. I think I'd push for Krebs rather than a pick from Vegas. at this point, you have to figure their 1st will be in the 20s somewhere.

2. Dobson is really the only guy there I'm really interested in. Here's an idea, though. Stecher +3rd for Pulock.

3. Johnson + Fortier. TJ being signed for four more years is a positive for us. we don't have anyone looking to step in and reliably hold down that 2c spot for at least the next two seasons. TJ holds it this year, mentors Veleno/Ras the following year, moves to a different spot in the lineup or dealt in year 3.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010

I feel like that trade was even, I don't think you are going to get more than a second for one year and Staal is also a position we need so it wasn't pure cap dump although surely 90% straight cap dump.

I also am pretty comfortable with 2nds in Yzerman's hands.

Reactions: ArmChairGM89

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
www.ShattenkirksKrakenshirt.net
Unless a player of equivalent position is going back (except center), we're going to be overloaded if we take on any more contracts.

I'd take Fleury+ for Bernier @ 50% retention, but that's about it

I don't think anyone's looking to dump any top-6 center contracts anymore, are they? Johnson looks like he may be staying put in Tampa for the moment.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Unless a player of equivalent position is going back (except center), we're going to be overloaded if we take on any more contracts.

I'd take Fleury+ for Bernier @ 50% retention, but that's about it

I don't think anyone's looking to dump any top-6 center contracts anymore, are they? Johnson looks like he may be staying put in Tampa for the moment.

Tampa is just under the cap limit with 20/23 players on their roster. Cirelli and Sergachev still aren't signed. At minimum I would expect Cirelli to hit 4.5 mil, and Sergachev to be 5.5 mil or more. Tampa has to dump one of Palat, Killorn, Johnson in order to stay under the limit.

Or hey, maybe we get Stamkos for a 2nd and Cholowski? :sarcasm:

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
Tampa is just under the cap limit with 20/23 players on their roster. Cirelli and Sergachev still aren't signed. At minimum I would expect Cirelli to hit 4.5 mil, and Sergachev to be 5.5 mil or more. Tampa has to dump one of Palat, Killorn, Johnson in order to stay under the limit.

Or hey, maybe we get Stamkos for a 2nd and Cholowski? :sarcasm:

I wouldn't say no to that, to be sure. :laugh:

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
I wouldn't say no to that, to be sure. :laugh:

I would love that. Man, what an add Stamkos would be. That's the kind of move EA sports me would pursue. I can't think of many fantasy draft dynasties that didn't somehow end up with Stamkos on my roster.

Stamkos or Backstrom, really.

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
I would love that. Man, what an add Stamkos would be. That's the kind of move EA sports me would pursue. I can't think of many fantasy draft dynasties that didn't somehow end up with Stamkos on my roster.

Stamkos or Backstrom, really.

Hell, they won the Cup without him, and he's taking up an awful lot of cap, just that pesky NMC he's got might be the issue.

Though, to platoon with a young guy like Larkin, play in a similar "system," and go back to his previous GM, all while being closer where he grew up... I mean there are certain advantages to waiving that clause. :D

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Hell, they won the Cup without him, and he's taking up an awful lot of cap, just that pesky NMC he's got might be the issue.

Though, to platoon with a young guy like Larkin, play in a similar "system," and go back to his previous GM, all while being closer where he grew up... I mean there are certain advantages to waiving that clause. :D

Yeah, we're a little bit closer to the way up where Stamkos could become the next Red Wings legend if they traded for him and all of a sudden we were back competing. At least we're almost to where the bloodletting can stop and we can start actually replacing our garbage with legitimate players.

Reactions: RedMenace

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->