TV: Popular/Widely Acclaimed shows that you dont like

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I've never watched Rick and Morty and the way the internet discusses it (both the people who LOVE it and the people who love to talk about how "problematic" it is) has made me determined to never even give it a chance.
I compare it to a show like House (bear with me) -

Shows with witty, but otherwise lonely, misanthropic characters get really popular. And people emulate said main character. But most of the shows that feature these characters emphasize how lonely and terrible their lives are. But people only think "this guy makes me laugh" and emulate it.

Rick and Morty is pretty good if you're a sci fi fan. It has some really funny moments, plays on a lot of sci fi tropes in a fun way, and is frankly very funny. But it has the WORST f***ing fanbase.

Reactions: Amerika

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
South Park's message of "caring is bad, actually" is trash.
South Park had like a period of 3-5 seasons that were really good - where the politics were pretty subtle but they matured past pure toilet humor. You got some funny shit like Scott Tennerman Must Die, the Family Guy episode, and a few other things.

Then they started doing arcs and being more overtly political (which their politics are stupid and their understanding of issues is sophomoric), and it just caved in quality.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
South Park had like a period of 3-5 seasons that were really good - where the politics were pretty subtle but they matured past pure toilet humor. You got some funny **** like Scott Tennerman Must Die, the Family Guy episode, and a few other things.

Then they started doing arcs and being more overtly political (which their politics are stupid and their understanding of issues is sophomoric), and it just caved in quality.

Chinpokomon will never not be great.

I haven't watched South Park in years at this point. Last season I watched with any regularity was probably like 2014 or so. And even prior to that I hadn't watched it much for a decade previous.

I cant believe how long that show has been going. I still remember talking about it the day after the premier when I was still in grade school. It was the greatest thing me and my friends had ever seen.

Reactions: SniperHF

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
South Park, Simpsons, Family Guy and most "edgy" animation has a very limited life span of actual entertainment. Loved all those shows when they first came out, then they went on too long and lost their originality. South Park became this heartless libertarian screed hung up in whatever topical reference happened to be in the paper that day, Family Guy got racist and mean-spirited, and the Simpsons just haven't been funny in more than twenty years.

Never liked Seinfeld.
Watched Frasier religiously when it was on, but can't watch it now. Maybe I grew up, but I no longer have any sympathy for an insufferably narcissistic dickhead who's always moping about how unhappy he is despite living in a million-dollar apartment and having more hot girlfriends than half the guys you'll ever meet.
Rick and Morty sucks. Yawn.

MetalheadPenguinsFan

Sep 17, 2009
Canada
- Dr. Who

- Star Trek

- Family Ties

- Frasier

- Seinfeld

- Friends

- Futurama (I remember the night it premiered. I thought it was shit back then too.)

- Everything shown on garbage “networks” like TLC and MTV*

* Remember when MTV actually played real music and showed music videos?? I miss those days. Yes kids, they did this at one time. :amazed:

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
I once watched the first episode of Black Mirror. It was gross, disturbing and pointless. Can't believe it wasn't cancelled after that.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
BBT and TAAHM are the symptoms, but Chuck Lorre is the disease. Absolute ****.

I generally agree.
But I have to say the show Mom is another Chuck Lorre traditional sitcom but it really breaks the mold in some ways. Particularly after season 3 or so. I haven't seen a multi cam sitcom handle serious topics as well or as frequently since Titus. It devolves sometimes but when the focus on the core group of friends who struggle with addiction and relapses it's a pretty unique show in how it goes from laughs to cries in a second. It's like the show itself is going through coping mechanisms.

You might be surprised if you give it a try, I was.

Reactions: QueerGirrl

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I wasn't a fan of the last season or 2 of Breaking Bad. Once Walt fully "broke bad" the show became increasingly uninteresting.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I compare it to a show like House (bear with me) -

Shows with witty, but otherwise lonely, misanthropic characters get really popular. And people emulate said main character. But most of the shows that feature these characters emphasize how lonely and terrible their lives are. But people only think "this guy makes me laugh" and emulate it.

Rick and Morty is pretty good if you're a sci fi fan. It has some really funny moments, plays on a lot of sci fi tropes in a fun way, and is frankly very funny. But it has the WORST ****ing fanbase.
I agree that people who emulate Rick's behavior are obnoxious and can be some of the worst people (it strangely seems to translate into that whole obnoxious alpha/beta/cuc*-obsessed bro attitude in real life, even though you wouldn't immediately think that about the character in the show), but I really don't think it's fair to negatively brand lonely misanthropes (witty or not) as a whole that way. There are many people in real life who I respect, admire, and love for having those traits and can be labeled that way-- That's not really the toxic or resentable aspect of characters like Rick (not familiar with House), in my opinion.

Guys in real life who have attitudes like Karl Pilkington or Larry David (the real personality, not the TV show version who can obviously cross the line into being a bad person) for example, sure they don't owe it to you to be fun, friendly, and easily to get along with, or value having easy-going happy-go-lucky lives, but I can completely get on-board with that, and see a lot of charm and respectability in people like that, even in real life. In fact, I can relate to some of those tendencies (obviously) and I often wish I could get away with being a little more like that myself to certain degrees (it's obviously less socially acceptable behavior, but can seem more uncompromising, principled, honest/authentic, and liberating, especially for introverts in general).

Last edited:

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
I was always a little baffled at Frasier's critical acclaim

It was okay, but it used to routinely beat Seinfeld for Best Comedy

Frasier is one of the finest sitcoms to ever be on television. It took me some time to warm up to it, but once I did, I realized how fantastic it was.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
I watched the first season of Battlestar Galactica (the newer one) and didn’t like it at all.
Couldn't watch it at all. Hated it. My wife and I sat down to watch the new remade premier of it...and never watched it again. We both watched the campy 70's show as kids and the new one just took a giant shit all over it. If you're going to bastardize it that much, just take that extra creative step and do something completely original.

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
Honestly, I don't watch alot of TV shows, especially the I guess super popular ones. I only just started on GOT, it's alright so far, but I'm not overly invested in it. Lost never seen it, The office never seen it, breaking bad, boardwalk empire, parks and rec the list goes on, so many of them haven't peaked my curiosity at all.

On the flip side, one of the best shows I've watched was Jericho. First season was excellent, the 2nd season was pretty good too, would have been much better, had it been allowed to run it's course, instead they got canned and the final episode that was supposed to have wrapped everything up... didn't. I hear that they continued the story through comic, but I'm not a huge fan of that medium.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
When I care for my mother, she is often watching the God awful "Say Yes To The Dress". Talk about offensive!...

* Stereotypical gay men
* Women oohing and ahhing over dressing that they can't afford - all while being catty.

I'm not a feminist, but if I was I'd be horrified because that show single-handedly sets back the women's movement.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
True Detective season 1. Not that I didn’t like it. I just didn’t think it was so unbelievably good. Most overhyped tv season ever I think.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad