TV: Popular/Widely Acclaimed shows that you dont like

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I've never watched Rick and Morty and the way the internet discusses it (both the people who LOVE it and the people who love to talk about how "problematic" it is) has made me determined to never even give it a chance.
It's certainly become somewhat overrated but it's not devoid of quality. Just carries an annoying fanbase.
It's a shame that we let bad fanbases negatively influence our perception of a thing's quality. The videogame, Undertale has the same problem-- People dismiss it solely on the basis that obnoxious and vocal creeps (reminds me of the Bronie crowd) seem to be among those who love it for some reason, even though it's a legitimately charming and inspired creative effort on its own (on that's actually a breath of fresh air compared to what the industry usually produces).

I'm not a big Rick and Morty fan, but I don't see anything actually wrong with the show that encourages the obnoxious attitudes that we see its fans have. Idiots just mistake Rick's cynical attitude as if it were encouraged gospel that's actually being preached (which it clearly isn't).

Last edited:

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
South Park is a black mark on our culture.

giphy.gif

Reactions: TB12

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Geez. What shows do you actually like?

Office and TDK are all time greats.

I have tried multiple times to get into the Office and I just never found the cringe humor elements appealing. I also found it incredibly formulaic. You can always bank on

1. Micheal saying something that makes everyone in the room look at him with excruciating internal cringe multiple times as Micheal looks into the camera proud of how witty he thinks he is.

2. Jim and Pam will do some weekly iteration of their will they won't they annoying awkwardness. (Maybe it's because I knew from hearing it from others how that resolves itself that I found the whole thing predictable and annoying, but it did nothing to emotionally latch me to the show.)

3. Jim and Dwight do something annoying to each other. I'll give the show credit, these were the moments that probably amused me the most, but nothing else in this show was remotely enough to ever make the show hold my interest.

Vex

Apr 23, 2019
Las Vegas, NV
I'm not a big Rick and Morty fan, but I don't see anything actually wrong with the show that encourages the obnoxious attitudes that we see its fans have. Idiots just mistake Rick's cynical attitude as if it were encouraged gospel that's actually being preached (which it clearly isn't).

Bojack Horseman has a similar protagonist, but it's explicitly clear that he is in the wrong. Does Rick and Morty really convey that explicitly? I don't watch the show, so I don't know.

But I do know that there's a long list of shows and movies where certain folks treat the obvious awful protagonist as a hero, ignoring what it's trying to say. Just look at everyone who rooted for Walter White or Tyler Durden.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
It's a shame that we let bad fanbases negatively influence our perception of a thing's quality. The videogame, Undertale has the same problem-- People dismiss it solely on the basis that obnoxious and vocal creeps seem to be among those who love it for some reason, even though it's a legitimately charming and inspired creative effort on its own (on that's actually a breath of fresh air compared to what the industry usually produces).

The show even has moments where they beat the viewer over the head with that sentiment.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Bojack Horseman has a similar protagonist, but it's explicitly clear that he is in the wrong. Does Rick and Morty really convey that explicitly? I don't watch the show, so I don't know.

But I do know that there's a long list of shows and movies where certain folks treat the obvious awful protagonist as a hero, ignoring what it's trying to say. Just look at everyone who rooted for Walter White or Tyler Durden.

Yes. Maybe not as often but there are times where Rick's attitude really screws everyone over. It doesn't help that his primary foils are Rick and his Father who are portrayed as pretty big "betas", whose timid/stupid nature are the butt of many of the show's jokes.

Vex

Apr 23, 2019
Las Vegas, NV
Yes. Maybe not as often but there are times where Rick's attitude really screws everyone over. It doesn't help that his primary foils are Rick and his Father who are portrayed as pretty big "betas", whose timid/stupid nature are the butt of many of the show's jokes.

Yikes.

The extent of my knowledge of that show is the Pickle Rick McDonald's debacle and it being kind of a riff on Back to the Future.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC

He's not outright vilified or evil, but he's played off as a crazy eccentric uncle character with a kooky but believable egocentric god complex/attitude problem, who gets away with it because his anything-goes scientific abilities are the only thing that allow any of them to survive the craziness of the show. The other characters love him and tolerate it despite clearly being fed up/frustrated with that aspect of him.

It's played for comedy/tension (basically, that whole "this guy's an ***-hole but we need him and deep down he cares" kind of thing). The only grey area is that he gets to "win" or come out okay most of the time because of his competence/intellect.

Last edited:

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
I'd definitely disagree with Arrested Development and Seinfeld.
The new ones or the old ones?
Plenty of people think The Dark Knight is bad, myself included.

I also think that the US version of the Office is bad but the UK version is brilliant.
Agreed 100%.

Most of the other ones mentioned so far in this thread are already acceptably disliked, so I'm not sure if they should apply, but South Park would probably be my pick as well for one that's respected and acclaimed even by people whose opinions I respect. Everyone keeps calling it a great satire, but I don't find it very well done and I find the humor pretty cheap, personally.

I think it's better than that trashy Family Guy level of comedy, but I still don't think very highly of it, personally.

South Park isn't something that always gets it right - and how can you with so many episodes written on such a tight deadline? - and moreso than the satire (which is sometimes clever, charming and funny but sometimes not) I think what appeals to me about South Park is how they can create these little absurdist tale that nails perfectly the feeling of being a kid and adventurous, sometimes to disastrous consequences, along with some well-placed and creative toilet humor. The adults are just as dumb (and often dumber) as the kids, which plays well with the show's spirit, and they've really created their own distinct world with characters are believable, yet utterly unique and bizarre at the same time. Some episodes such as Casa Bonita or Good Times with Weapons never fail me.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
South Park isn't something that always gets it right - and how can you with so many episodes written on such a tight deadline? - and moreso than the satire (which is sometimes clever, charming and funny but sometimes not) I think what appeals to me about South Park is how they can create these little absurdist tale that nails perfectly the feeling of being a kid and adventurous, sometimes to disastrous consequences, along with some well-placed and creative toilet humor. The adults are just as dumb (and often dumber) as the kids, which plays well with the show's spirit, and they've really created their own distinct world with characters are believable, yet utterly unique and bizarre at the same time. Some episodes such as Casa Bonita or Good Times with Weapons never fail me.
Yeah, I keep hearing this from people who otherwise have overlapping tastes with me (I think Warm Cookies has said something very similar about it), but the humor really just doesn't work for me.

Reactions: HockeyThoughts

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
South Park is often funny, but its politics blow. Sorry but libertarians are stupid people.

BrockLobster

Feb 11, 2013
Long Beach, NY
I don't particularly feel strongly about Rick and Morty, but I don't think it's bad.

This is what you're doing right now-- "Somebody has a different opinion than me, better come up with an unfavorable narrative to dismiss that". Please recognize how petty and childish this reaction is and be better than that. I didn't attack you for liking these things.

Lol no not at all! Usually anti family guy and south park people are rick and morty fans.

I guess my use of ellipsises made it seem like i was being petty. So my apologies. I didnt mean it in a negative way. I like rick and morty

Last edited:

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
South Park's message of "caring is bad, actually" is trash.

I've heard people say this a bunch of times and I've no idea where they get this shit from. It almost feels like someone influential said this once, and then it snowballed from there. Even from hearing Trey Parker or Matt Stone speak, or from watching show, that's not a sentiment that I notice. They satirize issues, but I've always seen it as satirizing people's irrational reactions to them, as opposed to them not caring about the issues themselves.

Vex

Apr 23, 2019
Las Vegas, NV
I've heard people say this a bunch of times and I've no idea where they get this **** from. It almost feels like someone influential said this once, and then it snowballed from there. Even from hearing Trey Parker or Matt Stone speak, or from watching show, that's not a sentiment that I notice. They satirize issues, but I've always seen it as satirizing people's irrational reactions to them, as opposed to them not caring about the issues themselves.

The show consistently does its work to reinforce the status quo. And their entire shtick on many issues is "Both sides!" Miss me with that nonsense.

Sadly, we're already teetering on politics. So I won't delve more into my issues with the show.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Lol no not at all! Usually anti family guy and south park people are rick and morty fans.

I guess my use of ellipsises made it seem like i was being petty. So my apologies. I didnt mean it in a negative way. I like rick and morty
Oh geez, sorry, my mistake. I could have sworn that's what that remark was meant to be. :laugh:

It sounded like a loaded comment to me because there are negative connotations associated with Rick and Morty fans that are often used to dismiss people who have an obnoxiously snooty egocentric wannabe-intellectual attitude or something (What we've been talking about in the last page), which some might jump to if they hear a popular thing they like criticized.

Here's some context: To Be Fair, You Have To Have a Very High IQ to Understand Rick and Morty | Know Your Meme

Last edited:
Reactions: SteveH124

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
A few episodes are funny but many are just offensive for no reason.
That sums up how I feel about Family Guy today. I liked the earlier seasons where there was at least jokes ans storylines that had some weight behind them (in terms of a cartoon). Now the jokes and gags are just offensive for the sake of cheap laughs.

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
Mash had a very good cast but i never understood why it was so popular & didn't think it was funny.
It wasn't meant to be funny in the usual way, more of a satire. It was also the first "comedy" to not have a laugh track. That could explain why it feels like it falls flat at times. It's more a thinking than reactive type of show.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
The show consistently does its work to reinforce the status quo. And their entire shtick on many issues is "Both sides!" Miss me with that nonsense.

Sadly, we're already teetering on politics. So I won't delve more into my issues with the show.

I don't disagree, but as I said previously, this was more true when a) politics weren't as polarized as now and b) they were talking about the over-the-top reactions of individuals on each side. Personally, I've always seen their own opinions within the show as being pretty much center-left in an American context.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad