TV: Popular/Widely Acclaimed shows that you dont like

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Big Bang Theory is extremely overrated, but that's a pretty popular opinion now. House of Cards was never good, it was just so different from anything else that people got hooked early on. Walking Dead also quickly became lame.

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
I am still only on season 5 of the Walking Dead. I heard it went downhill shortly thereafter around Season 6 - Season 8. However, I heard Season 9 was a return to form so I'm not sure it belongs here.
The damage appears to be done though as the ratings for it did not bounce back.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I am still only on season 5 of the Walking Dead. I heard it went downhill shortly thereafter around Season 6 - Season 8. However, I heard Season 9 was a return to form so I'm not sure it belongs here.
The damage appears to be done though as the ratings for it did not bounce back.
Pretty much exactly the same. Except I gave up halfway through season 5 of the walking dead. I just couldn't deal with the repetitive formula anymore. Also 5 years of watching people have perfect shooting aim got annoying after a while.

Also HM to the final season of Breaking Bad. They either should've gone two more or let the fourth season finale be the end.

Another HM to Boardwalk Empire. Season 1 was pretty good but it quickly devolved into a high budget hyper-viced soap opera. Couldn't bring myself to finish it midway through season 3.

frisco

Some people claim that there's a woman to blame...
Sep 14, 2017
Northern Hemisphere
I don't think there was a less funny comedy than MASH. Could never stand that show (or Alan Alda for that matter).

My Best-Carey

End on a Hinote

Registered Abuser
Aug 22, 2011
Northern British Columbia
Breaking Bad was enjoyable but very overrated. No rewatch value.

Sons of Anarchy was decent but over the top with the acting I found. Stopped after season 2 but willing to pick it up again.

Big Band Theory for the obvious reasons mentioned above (lame redundant humor, forced laughs, etc). Watched a few seasons, still tune in if it happens to be on and the news is the only other option.

Boardwalk Empire is a show I really wanted to like but it dragged on and on and I just couldnt get into it. Gave up after season 2.

Killing Eve is boring, predictable and not nearly as edgy as the reviews claim it to be. Gave up on it before the end of season 1

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Big Bang Theory is awful. So was Two And A Half Men.

A million reality shows.

GOT is overrated but not bad.

BrockLobster

Feb 11, 2013
Long Beach, NY
Game of Thrones: i watched season 1. Incredibly boring. Season 2 was beyond idiotic. How that show is so popular ill never get. Granted im not a big fantasy genre person anyway. The quicker that show ends the better. So sick of hearing about it.

Big bang: Least funniest show in TV history. Awful. Cringeworthy.

Walking dead was great. Then blah. Same ole crap over and over. I quit it cold turkey after last year.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Game of Thrones: i watched season 1. Incredibly boring. Season 2 was beyond idiotic. How that show is so popular ill never get. Granted im not a big fantasy genre person anyway. The quicker that show ends the better. So sick of hearing about it.

Big bang: Least funniest show in TV history. Awful. Cringeworthy.

Walking dead was great. Then blah. Same ole crap over and over. I quit it cold turkey after last year.
:thumbu:

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
The first season of Game of Thrones was legitimately well done, well conceived/thought out, and memorable. But even at it's best and most well executed/addictive, similar to a show like Breaking Bad, it was still overrated because it was ultimately all for pretty shallow and superficial ends-- stringing you along/keeping you engaged for the sake of stringing you along/keeping you engaged. For a while, it refreshingly subverted storytelling expectations that were more formulaic and contrived, but even making the stakes feel more real by paying attention to the details and having a "nobody is safe" attitude doesn't really amount to real substance or personality. Its ceiling was still ultimately limited and cheapened by the fact that it was primarily motivated by the empty cycle of getting audiences to root for characters they like and remain engaged/hooked by anticipating who was going to survive and die. All thing's considered, that's still kind of a hollow formula/gimmick that doesn't come close to approaching genuine greatness, even if it did that well enough.

A LOT of critically acclaimed dramas that people love have that problem, though, IMO (Breaking Bad, Lost, etc).

Since season 4's ended, it's become outright a bad show, though, and it's betrayed the main principle that was initially somewhat admirable about it. Now it's basically the formulaic and contrived thing that it used to subvert, and it doesn't even really do that too well. Mired by bad writing/performances and awkward sensibilities/creative decisions, and interested only in wink-y fan-service and self-references.

That said, that probably wouldn't be my answer for this thread because I didn't think it was bad when it was acclaimed, and now that I do think it's bad, it isn't really universally acclaimed anymore.

Walking Dead was trash from the very beginning IMO, but I think a lot of people think that as well.

Last edited:

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
Friends
Big Bang Theory
Modern Family
and
Riverdale are probably the 3 worst tv shows to ever be on tv but people love them

also true detective is overrated

3+1=3

Last edited:
Reactions: Finnish your Czech

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Downton Abbey - extremely formulaic, but started off ok
The Fall - because of that turgid season 3
Bloodline - I stuck with this one all the way, but the second-to-last episode is one of the worst in history of television (truly)
Billions - turd show with annoying turd characters
The West Wing - stupid fairytale about how America is great or something
House of Cards - watchable in the early going, but really arrogant and simplistic
The Walking Dead - I only saw the first season, which was trash, and supposedly it's the best one? LOL
Mindhunter - somehow terminally boring and very full of itself

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
The 1st TD was solid. Season 2 was an abomination. And 3 was OK at best

i liked season 1 but it was way overrated

the story was cool and i usually love matthew mcconaughey and woody harrelson but thought their characters were kinda shitty and werent acted all that great (which i seem to be in a very very small minority in thinking)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad