Kings Article: Poor Playoff Performance Shows That LA Kings Anze Kopitar Is Not An Elite Player…Yet

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
What does elite even mean for an NHL player? Anze had a down year for himself. The Kings are a good team. After a lifetime of being a friggin joke of a franchise, we finally have a legit hockey team in LA. Try seeing the forest from the trees sometime, and for fuggs sake, step away from the Internet until you are able to. See u in September.

I think some people here (myself included) do hold Anze to a bit of a higher standard than some of the other guys on the team, it's hard to see a guy who is so big, so fast, so strong and so talented go so long without producing. He obviously had a down year this season, but so did plenty of other guys on this team. Doughty, Richards, Brown, Clifford, Martinez the entire 3rd line after about March.

It is kind of ridiculous to be so critical, considering he was by far the Kings best forward last season in leading the team to the Stanley Cup, and many years he would have won the Conn Smythe.

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
I think some people here (myself included) do hold Anze to a bit of a higher standard than some of the other guys on the team, it's hard to see a guy who is so big, so fast, so strong and so talented go so long without producing.

That's exactly it, this should no longer be an organization that settles for mediocrity and excuses. This team, these players like Kopitar and Brown set a new bar last year, and we should hold them to it because THAT is what they are capable of. Just like Lombardi says, now this team needs to learn to play with expectations....we should not settle for anything but the best because that's what this team has proven themselves to be. Now, there can always be a team that comes around who plays better than our team...but our excuse should never be that our players didn't perform or that they underachieved. F that.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Yeah, so is Jonathan Cheechoo.

You are comparing Kopitar to Cheechoo. You truly are one of a kind. I guess this is the most painful part of following a team that enjoys some success, you get some uneducated bandwagoners jumping on and off and ready to rip players to shreds any time they struggle.

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
You are comparing Kopitar to Cheechoo. You truly are one of a kind.

My point is just because a player was considered 'elite' last year, doesn't mean it's not possible to lose that status.

And for the record, I think Kopitar will be fine.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
What's funny about all this talk diminishing Kopitar as a player is that similar things were once said about some guy named Datsyuk. In his first 42 playoff games, he scored only 3 goals and 15 points. What were they thinking keeping him around? They should have gotten rid of him, I mean, a 27 year old center with that type of production? What a bum!

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
What's funny about all this talk diminishing Kopitar as a player is that similar things were once said about some guy named Datsyuk. In his first 42 playoff games, he scored only 3 goals and 15 points. What were they thinking keeping him around? They should have gotten rid of him, I mean, a 27 year old center with that type of production? What a bum!

I think all of this is just a discussion...sounds like you are taking it personally. Just because Kopitar was one of the main factors for this team winning the cup last year, doesn't mean we, as fans, shouldn't be concerned when he looks like a TOTALLY different player just one season later. Doesn't mean a debate isn't warranted when the guy goes through 30+ game scoring droughts.

Is he 'elite'? I don't know, he sure looked it in the 2012 playoffs. Think about it, he played so friggin poorly in the last 3 months, every single person watching him was convinced he had an injury. Not worthy of a thread? Ok....

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Being concerned about his play is one thing and that's fine and acceptable, we've all been critical of individual performances of many players on the roster, but to discredit him and lump him as another Jonathan Cheechoo (a one year wonder) or to now label him as a non-elite player due to his struggles this season? I find that to be utterly ridiculous.

What's more ludicrous were the posts questioning his effort and work ethic, as if he's not even trying out there. That to me is unacceptable and it's a shame that we have fans who think that way. Then again, I don't consider those types to be very observant anyhow.

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
Being concerned about his play is one thing and that's fine and acceptable, we've all been critical of individual performances of many players on the roster, but to discredit him and lump him as another Jonathan Cheechoo (a one year wonder) or to now label him as a non-elite player due to his struggles this season? I find that to be utterly ridiculous.

What's more ludicrous were the posts questioning his effort and work ethic, as if he's not even trying out there. That to me is unacceptable and it's a shame that we have fans who think that way. Then again, I don't consider those types to be very observant anyhow.

Well, you are taking my 'Cheechoo' reference a bit too far....I wasn't comparing Kopitar to Cheechoo, I was implying that just because you are given a status one year, doesn't mean you automatically get to carry that for your entire career. You want an extreme example of that, Cheechoo.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
I agree about the year-to-year status change, but it's like that with every player and where they rank in the top 10-50 lists. However, it doesn't change the fact that Kopitar would be a #1 center on more than half of the team's in the NHL. Even with his struggles, I could think of 15+ teams that would take Kopitar in a heartbeat as their top center. That's a pretty special class of talent to be considered among that group, and some fans don't take that for granted.

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
I agree about the year-to-year status change, but it's like that with every player and where they rank in the top 10-50 lists. However, it doesn't change the fact that Kopitar would be a #1 center on more than half of the team's in the NHL. Even with his struggles, I could think of 15+ teams that would take Kopitar in a heartbeat as their top center. That's a pretty special class of talent to be considered among that group, and some fans don't take that for granted.

I don't either, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed with his play in the playoffs.

DoktorJeep

Expediency x Sentimentality = Mediocrity
Aug 2, 2005
OC
You can lose your NHL elite status after a down year? Sounds worse than the airlines!

no name

Nov 28, 2002
Tornado Alley
Visit site
You are comparing Kopitar to Cheechoo. You truly are one of a kind. I guess this is the most painful part of following a team that enjoys some success, you get some uneducated bandwagoners jumping on and off and ready to rip players to shreds any time they struggle.

Cheechoo had one elite skill that lasted two years. He was never considered elite. Kopitar is good at every aspect of the game and has won a cup. Big deal if Kppitar struggled at the end of a remarkably condensed, schedule while skating on a bad wheel that he came back early from. He was bound to wear down.

Last edited:

no name

Nov 28, 2002
Tornado Alley
Visit site
I think all of this is just a discussion...sounds like you are taking it personally. Just because Kopitar was one of the main factors for this team winning the cup last year, doesn't mean we, as fans, shouldn't be concerned when he looks like a TOTALLY different player just one season later.

I guess the question is if you think he all of a sudden is a "TOTALLY different player"? I don't believe you or anyone really does, so why the debate? There were certain things in play. He's not like Drew Doughty of Malkin who have made excuses for poor play in the past. I truly believe that he should not have come back from injry so soon in a season like this. You shouldn't be asked to play 50+ games in 90 days, and having to do it on a major injury for a hockey player is absurd.

The Butcher

Mammoth Mooseknuckles Hockey
Sponsor
Mar 6, 2011
Mammoth Lakes
You have to consider Kopitar's body of work when evaluating him. I'm pretty sure he's lead the team in scoring the last 4 or 5 years in the regular season and the playoffs. We mentioned guys like Datsyuk and countless other players that slump and piss their fans off. Not every player is Sidney Crosby. Hell even Sidney Crosby wasn't himself this year.

Plus, he comes across as a pretty level headed and humble hockey player. I just have a problem with people starting to question his heart. You have to give him a little bit longer leash before you can go there in my opinion.

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
I guess the question is if you think he all of a sudden is a "TOTALLY different player"? I don't believe you or anyone really does, so why the debate? There were certain things in play. He's not like Drew Doughty of Malkin who have made excuses for poor play in the past. I truly believe that he should not have come back from injry so soon in a season like this. You shouldn't be asked to play 50+ games in 90 days, and having to do it on a major injury for a hockey player is absurd.

Obviously, Kopitar has always been considered a good player, but I don't believe he turned the corner to 'elite' status until the playoff performance of 2012.

That's the debate.....that it was short-lived.

topliner967

Dec 14, 2011
Northern Europe
Does it really matter if he's considered elite or not? He had a "crappy" year (.89 PPG in the regular season, .5 PPG in the playoffs), probably because of the brace and the knee not being 100%.

The Kings lost in the WCF, let's hope they do better next year.

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
I don't either, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed with his play in the playoffs.

Everyone was disappointed with his performance.

Obviously, Kopitar has always been considered a good player, but I don't believe he turned the corner to 'elite' status until the playoff performance of 2012.

That's the debate.....that it was short-lived.

The same was said about Jonathan Quick.

Telos

Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
Not even close, Kings don't get out of the first two rounds without Quick.

You don't remember the endless threads of "we will never see that Quick again, he will never be the same again, we should stick with Bernier" and other such nonsense? Quick says that he was 100% and trying just as hard during the regular season, but had infinitely worse results. By your own admission, the guy came right back for us in superstar form after his months of toiling.

Saying that Kopitar's peak was "short-lived" is a mind-numbingly inane prediction that has no reasonable groundings other than to rile others. After being on fire, the guy had 2-3 lackluster months and you're predicting his demise. There would be no such thing as "elite" around the entire league if that were the case. You would have a point if he repeats next year in the same fashion, but saying it 30 seconds after his season ends, given such a small sample size, and a year removed from a Conn Smythe nominated, Stanley Cup winning, performance, is really quite meaningless.

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
You don't remember the endless threads of "we will never see that Quick again, he will never be the same again, we should stick with Bernier" and other such nonsense? Quick says that he was 100% and trying just as hard during the regular season, but had infinitely worse results. By your own admission, the guy came right back for us in superstar form after his months of toiling.

Saying that Kopitar's peak was "short-lived" is a mind-numbingly inane prediction that has no reasonable groundings other than to rile others. After being on fire, the guy had 2-3 lackluster months and you're predicting his demise. There would be no such thing as "elite" around the entire league if that were the case. You would have a point if he repeats next year in the same fashion, but saying it 30 seconds after his season ends, given such a small sample size, and a year removed from a Conn Smythe nominated, Stanley Cup winning, performance, is really quite meaningless.

Well, the playoffs are all that matters, right? Quick played arguably better this year than last (up until CHI series), so he kinda put those concerns to rest.

Personally, I give the entire team a free pass this season, most notably Kopitar and Brown, but if this carries in to next season, we got issues....I'm just participating in the debate. ;-)

Telos

Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
I'm just participating in the debate. ;-)

You are the "debate" as you're the only individual in your corner in this thread, with the exception of maybe Gann.

Well, the playoffs are all that matters, right? Quick played arguably better this year than last (up until CHI series), so he kinda put those concerns to rest.

Kopitar has been pretty much PPG for much of last season, throughout the playoffs, throughout most of this season up until the final few weeks. A disappointing playoffs is going to give rise to complaints, but future predictions and criticism are premature. The guy has an offseason to heal up and train, a real training camp to look forward to, and another shot next year. It was a huge learning experience for him, let's see how he reacts to it before saying his peak was short-lived.

Personally, I give the entire team a free pass this season, most notably Kopitar and Brown, but if this carries in to next season, we got issues....

That's what everybody has been saying to you throughout this entire thread :P

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
You are the "debate" as you're the only individual in your corner in this thread, with the exception of maybe Gann.

Kopitar has been pretty much PPG for much of last season, throughout the playoffs, throughout most of this season up until the final few weeks. A disappointing playoffs is going to give rise to complaints, but future predictions and criticism are premature. The guy has an offseason to heal up and train, a real training camp to look forward to, and another shot next year. It was a huge learning experience for him, let's see how he reacts to it before saying his peak was short-lived.

That's what everybody has been saying to you throughout this entire thread :P

You're a moderator, right? If we aren't suppose to debate and only discuss cupcakes and sunshine, maybe you should use your sexy powers and close the thread.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad