Kings Article: Poor Playoff Performance Shows That LA Kings Anze Kopitar Is Not An Elite Player…Yet

KingKopitar11*

Exactly what I said, he can get a pass for some of you but playing that crappy for such a long time. That's not elite at all. Stoll replacing him said Alot.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Great article, Gann, but that title betrays it a little bit imho.

Exactly what I said, he can get a pass for some of you but playing that crappy for such a long time. That's not elite at all. Stoll replacing him said Alot.

Here we go again.

sinister6000

Apr 30, 2013
Kopitar needs to change his mind set at 5 on 5, he can score more goals than Brown and Williams. But he would rather make plays, instead of putting head down, drive to the net and score goals. He could score 40 goals if he shot the puck as much as Jeff Carter. Carter and Toffoli know what they are on this team to do, score goals. Kopi has the size, speed, and skill to be as good as Malkin, Toews, Stampkos, E.Staal. but he has to want be a elite center in the nhl. I'm not sure if Sutter wants him cheat offensively, just so he can rack up the points 5 on 5. 4 years ago the management told him to be a great 2 way center, rather than just a point getter.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Kopitar needs to change his mind set at 5 on 5, he can score more goals than Brown and Williams. But he would rather make plays, instead of putting head down, drive to the net and score goals. He could score 40 goals if he shot the puck as much as Jeff Carter. Carter and Toffoli know what they are on this team to do, score goals. Kopi has the size, speed, and skill to be as good as Malkin, Toews, Stampkos, E.Staal. but he has to want be a elite center in the nhl. I'm not sure if Sutter wants him cheat offensively, just so he can rack up the points 5 on 5. 4 years ago the management told him to be a great 2 way center, rather than just a point getter.

Agree. Especially when you see him charging around like a bull on the boards and in the corner. Hope he recovers fully and gets the speed and strength going again. He needs elite conditioning to survve a full season and slumps!

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
Kopitar doesn't even need to cheat on offense....He simply needs to shoot the puck more, and go to the net....

Kopitar has a very , very,very good shot. His size ,IQ and Hands are good enough that; if he would just go to the net more he would pot 5 to 10 more goals a year...

The Big Giant Head

Mar 27, 2009
So-Cal
Lets face it, Kopitar is not old but if he doesnt get it together in the next couple seasons then he may never. He might just end up being a really great 1st line center. I agree he needs to be a little more selfish with the puck and shoot more but im less concerned about goals and more concerned about his ability to almost completely disappear from some games or for long stretches. He needs to build more consistency to his game and that may be something that comes from coaching and play style rather than himself as a player. Sutter has yet to have a full season behind the bench and Kopi came in to last season with a bum knee and a shortened season with no training camp.

Im curious to see what Sutter can do with Kopitar with an 82 game schedule and a training camp to get things going.

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
Lets face it, Kopitar is not old but if he doesnt get it together in the next couple seasons then he may never. He might just end up being a really great 1st line center. I agree he needs to be a little more selfish with the puck and shoot more but im less concerned about goals and more concerned about his ability to almost completely disappear from some games or for long stretches. He needs to build more consistency to his game and that may be something that comes from coaching and play style rather than himself as a player. Sutter has yet to have a full season behind the bench and Kopi came in to last season with a bum knee and a shortened season with no training camp.

Im curious to see what Sutter can do with Kopitar with an 82 game schedule and a training camp to get things going.

What Sutter should do is sit Kopitar down in front of a TV and make him watch every game from the 2012 run. Pretty simple, PLAY LIKE THAT.

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
i think this compressed season plus long last season haas taken a bigger toll on our players then they will admit. I think having a extra day or two to rest u wouldnt be as banged up. I think with a full training camp kopitar comes back to life along with serveral others. oh yeah about this us wont beat the black hawks untill we get better offensively I say we would have beat the hawks if we had one more player at the deadline and been totally heathy

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
i think this compressed season plus long last season haas taken a bigger toll on our players then they will admit. I think having a extra day or two to rest u wouldnt be as banged up. I think with a full training camp kopitar comes back to life along with serveral others. oh yeah about this us wont beat the black hawks untill we get better offensively I say we would have beat the hawks if we had one more player at the deadline and been totally heathy

I think we beat the Hawks had Quick played to his capabilities. I don't even think he needed to be 'lights out'....but he let in some bad goals.

bmr

Jan 23, 2013
The reason we lost that Hawks series is Kopitar and Brown, secondly to Quick. Not having Mitchell was definitely a factor.

It was Quick's worst series and Kopitar and Brown were basically invisible. Brown was injured, but who knows what was going on with Kopitar. He was dominant in last year's playoffs. Let's give him the offseason to make sure that knee is healed and lament about his performance. I'm expecting him to have a 100 point season in the next couple of years.

Captain Mittens*

What Sutter should do is sit Kopitar down in front of a TV and make him watch every game from the 2012 run. Pretty simple, PLAY LIKE THAT.

I am more in favor of shaking him until he plays like that

Captain Mittens*

Cool. Now write one about Toews.

12b25951d8bdb3d4d1647d82d6cc6f8c.jpeg

The Butcher

Mammoth Mooseknuckles Hockey
Sponsor
Mar 6, 2011
Mammoth Lakes
I keep hearing that Kopi was getting married and that MAY have contributed to his prolonged slump. Anyone got a date on that? Hopefully it was yesterday and he get's back on the wagon immediately after the honeymoon.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
There's a laundry list of star players who disappointed in the playoffs.

Crosby
Malkin
Toews
Kane
Datsyuk
Perry

Hell, even the best line going right now with Lucic-Krejci-Horton was criticized in the first round. This kind of crap happens every year and then people on message boards start labeling players as choke artists.

likid

Mar 27, 2011
Maribor
Kopi will be much more apreciated here on this board once he retire or is he traded. Then will some people realise what role Kopi had in that team...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad