[Poll] Zibanejad @10M or Eichel?

Who would you rather Have?

• Zibanejad @ 10M AAV

• Eichel

Results are only viewable after voting.

Rangers in 7

Dec 17, 2015
Long Island
I think the problem I have with this poll is if we sign zib at 10 million are we talking about a 7 or 8 year deal? If so I’d take eichel. Zib making 10 mill when he’s 35 scares the shit out of me

NYRKing

Mar 12, 2008
Is there any way to have Mika and Eichel stick? Mike gets a long term deal at $8.5MM and we pony up assets for Jack where Sabres retain $2MM?

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Why is the grass always greener on the other side?
6 in 1 half dozen in the other. Eichel has more talent, but the neck injury is concerning. Zibbys concussions are also a big worry.
The tie breaker for me was age, Eichel could still improve with a change of environment and I’m much more comfortable with a 5yr deal with a guy from 25-30 rather then 29-34/35
Went with Eichel, but there’s no real wrong/ right answer
Anybody that says either 1 is a 100% better fit is lying. It’s impossible to know at this time. Too many variables

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Give them Kravtsov/Chytil, Strome, 1 d-prosp, 1st, 2nd and call it a day.

Hell no
We need all our prospects and Chytil to replace Strome

IF IF IF we thought Eich was adequately risk free, would consider Strome + Jones and conditional pick
that's it

Is there any way to have Mika and Eichel stick? Mike gets a long term deal at $8.5MM and we pony up assets for Jack where Sabres retain $2MM?

We can't have Eich, let alone both
Eich would = surrender of pivotal bluest blue chip elcs
The nanosecond you go there, you press the button on all kinds of salary pandora's box.

Where is the $ gonna come from to sign Shesty, Fox, long term?

Do we learn nothing from watching Leafs top heavy lineup continue to fail?
And they have Matthews headlining!

Deep lineup = a must for today's NHL

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
Said it in the other thread, but you're not signing Zib for anything less than 10 unless you get Eichel (or some other center) here to provide some leverage.

DekeR

Jan 11, 2008
Hell no

IF IF IF we thought Eich was adequately risk free, would consider Strome + Jones and conditional pick
that's it

The nanosecond you go there, you press the button on all kinds of salary pandora's box.

"Deep lineup is a must"
Could not agree more,in using the TBL as an example because they are the best these last two years. Against Mont. their secondary scoring took the series when Mont. took out the top players, of the 16 goals scored 13 were from secondary scorers instead of Kocherov,Stamkos,Point,Hedman.

Reactions: bernmeister

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Ryan Strome

Seriously, why not? Let's see What Gallant Can DoTM with him. People are so eager to see What Gallant Can DoTM with others.

It's D+4 for Chytil. It's put up or shut up time, 21 yrs old notwithstanding.

Maybe Strome emerges as a 1C and Chytil as a 2C under Gallant. Stranger shit has happened. You go with that as your C stack, that might be enough, since we're overloaded on the wings.

Don't sign Eichel. Dump Zib at the deadline for a pair of seconds and a third :sarcasm: or rent him.
If the plan is to wait and see if Strome emerges as a #1C, we've already lost...

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Barkov

The answer would be Eichel but his health is a huge question mark.
Yes, Barkov. The only difference here is Barkov hasnt had concussions NOR whatever Eichel is bringing.

Bypass BOTH please, or get Zbad to lower his VERY HIGH ask.
Guess his concussions have led him into thinking he isnt injury prone.

Edit; Barkov is a bull and very much what we need in regard to our "soft" play.

brakeyawself

Oct 5, 2006
That vote is awfully close. Eichel only a 2 vote lead.

Even if it is Ziban at 10 mil or Eichel, that's not really the actual cost though.

The actual two sides are Ziban at 10 mil + Prospect A + Prospect B + Prospect C + 1st Round pick (or something along these lines) OR Eichel.

And even if the money is that close, we would be paying SO much more for Eichel. Don't see it being worthwhile. I'm still rooting for Zibby.

brakeyawself

Oct 5, 2006
Hell no

that's it

If we could do it for Strome, Jones or Miller even and a conditional 1st, I would have to think about it. I really like Jones lol. And who knows who that pick can turn into. But really, there seems to be this assumption that if Eichel comes here we are a better team. Even if we take out the loss of prospects and cap hit, there is still uncertainty and risk for just sticking Eichel into the locker room.

He misses so much time almost every season. If he's not playing in the playoffs because he's injured again, that's not going to help us more than Zibanijad would.

If his attitude sucks, which seeing how this Buffalo saga has gone on, I wouldn't rule out. Along with what ex teammate stated about him not being a leader and not being anything like a Crosby regardless of point production.

How's his defense going to be if he is always concerned about reinjuring his neck or reinjuring any of his previous injuries? I wouldn't exactly call Eichel an ideal 200 ft center. His defense is ok. But who knows how all this will effect him mentally. He could put up 95 points in a season, but then come playoff time, let a guy by him because he is avoiding contact or something and there goes our playoff hopes. These mental concerns, long term, worry me just as much as the physical ones.

If he was known for his leadership, known for a winning attitude, known for carrying a team on his back through adversity, known for taking hits and always getting up, known for biting the bullet and sacrificing his own offense for wins, known for having the drive to push himself further no matter how high he's flying, it would be a genuinely different conversation. But he's not known for any of these things. Actually, does Eichel even have a personality? Or does he come with a service manual and max mileage before shutting down and needing replenishment? I feel like everything points to the latter. I've never heard one thing about him rallying his teammates or getting so mad and breaking his stick to amp up the other players. or really anything of this nature.

11 mil per and a handful of your top prospects is a whole lot to pay a guy who doesn't at least come with some of these intangibles. We would be paying such a high price, above what our other options would cost, and really, all we think we are getting is an extra 20-30 points a season? That doesn't seem like enough return for the cost to me.

Reactions: DekeR

2014nyr

Jun 14, 2014
i want no part of eichel. not worth what it'll cost as far as roster depth. not worth the injury risk. not worth the cap hit.

honestly though, the main reason i don't even consider bringing him in is the drama. since he set foot in the nhl it seems like there's been nonstop whispers out there re his frustrations / what he wants. don't get me wrong, buff has been a disaster in a lot of ways. you certainly can't blame him for all thats gone wrong there. but at the same time...has he ever done anything that made you think he was truly trying to make things better/making any progress? have those buff teams with him ever had any sign of progress in the way of leadership and a culture? he's still young, there's certainly limits to what could have been reasonably expected of him given whats gone on there. but i've just never seen him as a guy other people gravitate too or who's shown any signs of caring about his team/teammates all that much. every offseason there's whispers about his feelings - those get out there with different guys and could come from a number of places. but its entirely too frequent with him for me to believe its anything other than passive aggressive communication directly from him. its possible thats wrong...maybe he just has terrible friends he opens up to, but loose lips sink ships. he's the captain of the franchise, if he has something to say, say it...i'll take our guy and keep the assets without a second thought.

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
Eichel is a definite no. Way too much BS going on even without the neck injury issue. The Rangers just jettisoned players for locker room issues and now they are contemplating Eichel? Madness and hypocrisy.

The sane approach is to sign Zib to a reasonable contract and move on.

Vancouver is still in trouble trying to get both Hughes and Pettersson signed, the recent inflation in wages for young star players is not helping them at all. I wonder if they can keep both. Hughes is not interesting but Pettersson definitely is.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
If we could do it for Strome, Jones or Miller even and a conditional 1st, I would have to think about it. I really like Jones lol. And who knows who that pick can turn into. But really, there seems to be this assumption that if Eichel comes here we are a better team. Even if we take out the loss of prospects and cap hit, there is still uncertainty and risk for just sticking Eichel into the locker room.

He misses so much time almost every season. If he's not playing in the playoffs because he's injured again, that's not going to help us more than Zibanijad would.

If his attitude sucks, which seeing how this Buffalo saga has gone on, I wouldn't rule out. Along with what ex teammate stated about him not being a leader and not being anything like a Crosby regardless of point production.

How's his defense going to be if he is always concerned about reinjuring his neck or reinjuring any of his previous injuries? I wouldn't exactly call Eichel an ideal 200 ft center. His defense is ok. But who knows how all this will effect him mentally. He could put up 95 points in a season, but then come playoff time, let a guy by him because he is avoiding contact or something and there goes our playoff hopes. These mental concerns, long term, worry me just as much as the physical ones.

If he was known for his leadership, known for a winning attitude, known for carrying a team on his back through adversity, known for taking hits and always getting up, known for biting the bullet and sacrificing his own offense for wins, known for having the drive to push himself further no matter how high he's flying, it would be a genuinely different conversation. But he's not known for any of these things. Actually, does Eichel even have a personality? Or does he come with a service manual and max mileage before shutting down and needing replenishment? I feel like everything points to the latter. I've never heard one thing about him rallying his teammates or getting so mad and breaking his stick to amp up the other players. or really anything of this nature.

11 mil per and a handful of your top prospects is a whole lot to pay a guy who doesn't at least come with some of these intangibles. We would be paying such a high price, above what our other options would cost, and really, all we think we are getting is an extra 20-30 points a season? That doesn't seem like enough return for the cost to me.

1. DO NOT WANT
cap + other consequences not worth it.

2. IF you MUST go there
Strome Geo Jones + conditional
no bluest blue chips other than Jones
No on Kratsov included

referencing a quote:
But one individual with some knowledge of the proceedings told The Post on Thursday that the latest entreaty includes Vitali Kravtsov, Zac Jones, Alexandar Georgiev and a first-rounder, but not Chytil.

Reactions: brakeyawself

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
The above is amusing because the source is basically admitting that if NYR got Eichel and Zibanejad that they'd be trashing the rest of the roster.

Not to mention that fact that 30-40% of our potential ELC contributors would be gone in said Eichel deal.

correctimundo!

Those elcs are critical to NYR having a 5-7 year run as opposed to 1-2 yrs.

Eichel's injury concerns are a reality. Weather or not Zib will age poorly is an unknown but Eichel at this point is essentially a magic bean.

The main problem I have with Zib's demands is the length of the term, it makes having flexibility at the C position very difficult in the long run. Giving long term contracts to veteran forwards under the flat cap is very difficult. Even Landeskog is facing this problem.

So it comes down to:

A. Trade Zib + a huge package of talent and futures for a Magic Bean.
B. Keep Zib + the huge package of talent and futures
C. Find another solution i.e. move on from Zib and avoid Eichel.

My prediction is that even if the doctors sign off on Eichel's current spine injury, that injury will lead to compensation injuries and Eichel will be in and out of the lineup from here on. Buffalo are smart to move on.

the immediate solution is B, keep Zib, and long term, Z, move on.
That is b'c we can't assume any player is gonna do an Ovie and be an exception and age well.
Zib 32-33 = 3-4 yr contract.
But we need flexibility to trade if we have to

That's why.
1. bern policy
no NMCs for anyone, ever
for the creme de creme we can have super extensive ntcs for like 28 teams, w/effect close to nmc
but no nmc

2. In addition, Z has to give us mid-short level term, i.e., 3-4 yrs.
No max term 7-8 yrs

If he works with us and goes there, then

a) tho I prefer 9 tops, I will go to 10.5 w/him,
but again, my way on term + flexibility for a trade or no deal.

b) I will tell him not 111% zero chance he is dealt, but would say we are not looking to move him at those #s unless an exceptional upgrade (such as Matthews) can be had as an exception to the let's keep Z rule.

Boo Nieves will save us from ourselves!
Unfortunately, that ship has not only sailed, but w/at l4ast 4 concussions, the Boo ship has sunk.

Pity.
B'c we didn't give this guy a fair chance, making him get behind Lias A and giving him guys like McLeod while hoping that type of line could score, we wound up wasting a 2nd pick.
And we did not to right by the player either.
Shame

And shame IS called for b'c there was NO fuggin reason to not try my experiment and give him a shot betw. Kreider and Zib, or an alternate finisher.

I'm loyal to our Rangers but every so often they pull a real woozie that can't be defended.

No reason to not have given this guy a fair chance. None.

This impending Zib contract is going to be such a disaster
Potentially yes. Key is term and club ability to move.

It depends what the Eichel deal is. It sounds like we are refusing to include Chytil, Nils, and Schneider. If Adams puts down his crack pipe, I’d be willing to part with one of those defensive prospects. Otherwise, we can find another option elsewhere

No.
None of our bluest blue chips.
None.

Neither. Let's talk Barkov instead.
Would love to say 'now you're talkin' --- except reality at this pt is he stays in FL.
consider:
- FL correctly has done all it can to keep him
- will continue to do so
- no reason to suspect he is/will get disatissfied
- as to $, FL is a no (income) tax state
- FL can + will offer an extra year
- FL can + will pay him whatev the MAX is

If reality somehow shifts, ok, but otherwise, it's just a nice dream.

How about option 3?

Offer Zibby 7.5 for 5 years. If he says no, trade him.
Jack can stay in Buffalo.
Next off season go after Barkov.

agree on underline
and in principle to the bold incl trade if nec.
I would give him more per for less seasons so we are not looking at a guy who gets too old overnight.

btw - for a separate thread:
Vegas just lost Tuch for a good chunk of the season
are in win now and cap tight

retain on both Strome + Zib + charge LV for doing so

both Strome + Zib max retained + three 2nds (2022, 2023, 2024)
for
Krebs, Tuch (as is) + two 1sts [Vegas choice two of 2022, 2023 2024)

We keep Krebs

Sabes value Tuch highly. Need a G.

something around Tuch + Geo
for

And finally, worth repeating:
went zib
setting aside every other factor incl
zib already here only costs $
as opposed to Eich costing assets incl those we must not use which are not spare,

all that aside

Eich is 10 w/nmc coming and issues

zib may get at 9.5 x 6 or if we are lucky 9 x 4
no issues
he gives up no nmc
extensive ntc ok

if we need to move him
[Barkov, very unlikely, Matthews unlikely*]
Zib is easier to move

* Matthews unlikely but w/Leafs choking from being top heavy, and limitations on other guys moved, and with him only under contract 3 more seasons and possibility he wants to go to AZ after that,

then a deal of Zib ++ for AM, w/Zib retained down to 6 per with term, is enough for Leafs to have to examine

can't say the same w/Eich
he'll always be one severe check to that neck away from LTIR and that robs value

Reactions: brakeyawself

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
So if we assume Eichel is too expensive, I will say that I am not all that interested in dealing prospects like Lundkvist or Chytil for Larkin or Lindholm either.

And if we assume that Krebs, Lundell and Newhook are also off the table, what are our other options?

Someone from the Kings? Anyone else? What do we think the prices would be on the following -

Vilardi
Turcotte
Kupari
Madden
Thomas

(assume Byfield and the newly drafted centers are also out)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad