[Poll] Zibanejad @10M or Eichel?

Who would you rather Have?

• Zibanejad @ 10M AAV

• Eichel

Results are only viewable after voting.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
When its put this way i guess a person would be crazy to let Zib walk for nothing and expend assets to get Eichel. Would we be better keeping Zib, aquiring a young cost controlled center (I'm still wishing for Barrett Hayton) with less assets than it would cost for Eichel? I kinda think so. Having said that, i think Zib has to be 9 mill no more.

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
I don't see how the team actually gets better with Eichel + less assets instead of Mika + more assets.

The only positive thing you get is a younger center out of it. What you also gain, however, is a center who is probably less able to play playoff-style hockey due to his injuries.

Mika struggled last year, but when he started playing better he really had no issues forechecking and being physical when necessary. I'm not sure Eichel can do much more than be a perimeter player - which we have enough of right now.

To me, you either sign Mika or you walk away from both players and go in a totally different direction. Eichel isn't the answer unless you somehow can build a team around both Eichel and Mika (which you can't and shouldn't attempt to).

Reactions: White Death 24

brakeyawself

Oct 5, 2006
No Eichel no way. Even if Ziban cost similar. But that's based partially on the possible severity of Eichel's injury and that I think Ziban plays a bit tougher and is very strong in front of net. I don't think Eichel is quite the goal scorer Ziban can be. And I don't think Ziban is near the playmaker or stickhandler that Eichel is. And Ziban won't cost us any prospects to acquire obviously. So we pay him similar to Eichel, but don't lose all the prospects. To me, that's a better deal.

But you take away Eichel's current possible chronic neck injury and the fact that he's only played more than 68 games twice in his 6 seasons, and I would go with Eichel.

Without the cost similarity though, it's definitely Ziban. You again don't lose any prospects to get him. And if Ziban accepts like 8-9 mil instead of 10, those few million matter. I would probably go with him right now.

Reactions: bernmeister

Kocur Dill

picklicious
Feb 7, 2010
Surprise wildcard: Pettersson offer sheet!

Hell, I rather politely let Van know we are offering Pettersson and se if they accept a trade instead. They couldn't possibly demand more than Buffalo wants for Jacked-up Eichel, plus they get to have some control over a few proven assets than receive magic bean future picks.

If we explored that route.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
Hell, I rather politely let Van know we are offering Pettersson and se if they accept a trade instead. They couldn't possibly demand more than Buffalo wants for Jacked-up Eichel, plus they get to have some control over a few proven assets than receive magic bean future picks.

If we explored that route.
I mean they would probably ask for 4 1sts+. Otherwise they would just dare us to do it

Elliman

Jun 29, 2016
New York
How about option 3?

Offer Zibby 7.5 for 5 years. If he says no, trade him.

Jack can stay in Buffalo.

Next off season go after Barkov.

Reactions: CasusBelli

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
I know most were against Eichel but since sources said that Zibanejad is wanting something in the ballpark of 10M AAV I saw several people if that’s what Mika will cost they’d rather trade for Eichel. Curious to see the conensus. In my opinion, if we do our due diligence and believe that Eichel will return to the player he was before the injury, I’d rather make the move for Eichel and trade off Zibanejad.

went zib
setting aside every other factor incl
zib already here only costs $
as opposed to Eich costing assets incl those we must not use which are not spare,

all that aside

Eich is 10 w/nmc coming and issues

zib may get at 9.5 x 6 or if we are lucky 9 x 4
no issues
he gives up no nmc
extensive ntc ok

if we need to move him
[Barkov, very unlikely, Matthews unlikely*]
Zib is easier to move

* Matthews unlikely but w/Leafs choking from being top heavy, and limitations on other guys moved, and with him only under contract 3 more seasons and possibility he wants to go to AZ after that,

then a deal of Zib ++ for AM, w/Zib retained down to 6 per with term, is enough for Leafs to have to examine

can't say the same w/Eich
he'll always be one severe check to that neck away from LTIR and that robs value

excaliber

Mar 30, 2018
Zibanijad has only had two seasons which somewhat warrant the kind of payday he's seeking. Now he's getting up there in age and there is no way I would give him 10 mil x 6 years. If he wants that kind of money move him at the deadline for a #1 and additional picks.
I would wait and see how this plays out.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
I don't really like the Eichel idea.

Even if Zbad is injured or declines the Rangers still have a chance

If Eichel after being traded for ends up injured or injury declined, given what they'd give up, the Rangers are pretty screwed.

Reactions: Cawlidge Hawkey

SRHRangers

Aug 18, 2020
I'll take the guy I know over the question mark.

Zib will always be able to score.

Not thrilled with either option though at that AAV.

DekeR

Jan 11, 2008
I don't see the problem, keep Zib who can put up numbers in a league top 10 center position all day. Keep the assets that can be used to trade for a 2nd center or have the assets on hand to create a third line that blows away the opposition thus increasing the value of those players. We accumulated these assets for a reason don't waste them on a hope everything is ok with Eichel. Thats a hell of a asking price for a player we basically already have. Sign Zib with a 10 team trade option.

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
I brought that up a month ago and got hammered lol.

But looks like the Nucks cleared enough salary to make this a non issue now

That's a bummer and who gives a shit about critiques on these ideas? Long shot of course but part of building what we're trying to build is shooting for the moon and of course we're going to dream big as die hard fans. Also, that is far from the craziest idea we've had around here.

Chytil really needs to break out this year so we don't panic resign Zibanejad. Looking at his injury history it just makes no sense on a long term deal.

Blais to Win

Dec 16, 2009
So yesterday I was searching Twitter for mentions of Eichel. I noticed a number of posts mentioning him in foreign languages. There were some in some Scandinavian language that I translated using the Twitter translate function. Turned out to be uninteresting or only peripherally related hockey talk.

I noticed a few in German. So I translated them.

I tell you I will never look at that player (or that name) the same way again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad