Speculation: Poll: Would you trade the 7th Overall Pick for Noah Hanifin

Would you trade the 7th Overall Pick straight up for Noah Hanifin?

• Total voters

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
Others have made the point but has anyone dug any deeper to answer the question, why would Carolina be actively trying to trade a 21 year old mobile, 6'3", 206 lbs, D-man selected 5th overall in 2015? Something just doesn't seem right.

they are loaded on D
they need help up front
seattle expansion draft

hanifin trade solves a lot of their issues

they are dealing from a position of strength

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
they are loaded on D
they need help up front
seattle expansion draft

Expansion draft is expected to occur in 2020, no?

Really jumping the gun early if that’s the case.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Three fold:

1. Stacked at defense and need forward help.
2. Apparently lacking in "hockey IQ".
3. Looking towards Seattle expansion draft.

Better to get value now while it's still high than back yourself in a corner next year. Given what just happened with Vegas, my guess is alot of teams are more wary of this.
So, points 2 and 3 indicate a prospect that is waiver fodder. Point 1 suggests a player that doesn't fit into the top 4. Now remind me why we would give up the 7th overall?
I don't necessarily agree that Hanifin is a bottom pairing D, I'm just saying that your points indicate he is and don't explain why a 21 year old, 6'3", 206 lbs D-man is on the trading block.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
because he would get them the best return.

Carolina has missed the playoffs for far too long. Can you think of a better asset than Hanifin to net a big return?

Aside from Aho Slavin Necas and Svechnikov the answer is no. Pretty simple

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
because he would get them the best return.

Carolina has missed the playoffs for far too long. Can you think of a better asset than Hanifin to net a big return?

Aside from Aho Slavin Necas and Svechnikov the answer is no. Pretty simple

The #7 pick and a kicker not as good as Hanifin is going to get them back into the playoffs?

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
The #7 pick and a kicker not as good as Hanifin is going to get them back into the playoffs?

idk what the kicker is as thats not the thread question. But Carolina is going for another rebuild/re-tool and that would require some trades. Plus the dmen market is always huge, it would be stupid not to take calls

You guys really can't think of a reason why it might make sense to trade Hanifin aside from "omgelul he sucks, car tryna pull a fast 1"

Reactions: VancouverJagger

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
idk what the kicker is as thats not the thread question. But Carolina is going for another rebuild/re-tool and that would require some trades. Plus the dmen market is always huge, it would be stupid not to take calls

You guys really can't think of a reason why it might make sense to trade Hanifin aside from "omgelul he sucks, car tryna pull a fast 1"

I don’t think that’s correct. They are making a push to be a playoff team next season, not rebuild. That would make the 7th pick pretty much the opposite of what they would be targeting. If anything a Hanifin for ROR deal makes the most sense for Carolina and probably for Buffalo too. Trading for a draft pick and a prospect doesn’t, so if that is what they are asking us for then yes, I’d be very worried.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
I don’t think that’s correct. They are making a push to be a playoff team next season, not rebuild. That would make the 7th pick pretty much the opposite of what they would be targeting. If anything a Hanifin for ROR deal makes the most sense for Carolina and probably for Buffalo too. Trading for a draft pick and a prospect doesn’t, so if that is what they are asking us for then yes, I’d be very worried.

"Everything except for Aho is for trade" screams making the playoffs for next season

mmk

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
"Everything except for Aho is for trade" screams making the playoffs for next season

mmk

Uh, yes?

That’s the new owner’s (Tom Dundon) MO. He didn’t want a slow, patient rebuild so he fired Francis. Trading for picks is not the direction he’s leaning in.

According to multiple sources, it became obvious the owner and the GM were a bad match. Francis is patient, preferring a slow, smart build for an organization that did not spend anywhere near the cap. Unafraid to challenge conventional wisdom, Dundon wanted to take more risks. It is believed that, at the trade deadline, those differing philosophies clashed over what moves were available. It was only a matter of time after that.

Francis's removal a sign of Hurricanes owner Dundon's hands-on style - Sportsnet.ca

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
Uh, yes?

That’s the new owner’s (Tom Dundon) MO. He didn’t want a slow, patient rebuild so he fired Francis. Trading for picks is not the direction he’s leaning in.

Francis's removal a sign of Hurricanes owner Dundon's hands-on style - Sportsnet.ca

and because he wants a quick rebuild, Hanifin is a red flag if they are willing to take a fantasy trade that is the 7th overall?

first off, I think they want back more. So why is everyone using the above reasoning.. The fact that Hanifin is on the trade block due to an aggressive gm mandate, to claim its a red flag on the player's abilities?

Seatoo

Never Stop Poasting
Oct 19, 2012
Okanagan
I absolutely would. It's a long shot that whoever we take with the #7 pick ends up being as good as Hannifin is now (and he's still improving). But I understand the desperation people have about Benning making a trade or giving away picks/assets

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
and because he wants a quick rebuild, Hanifin is a red flag if they are willing to take a fantasy trade that is the 7th overall?

first off, I think they want back more. So why is everyone using the above reasoning.. The fact that Hanifin is on the trade block due to an aggressive gm mandate, to claim its a red flag on the player's abilities?

It might be. Why don’t they think Hanifin can get them into the playoffs more than the 7th overall pick? Why do they want a re-do on a pick they made just 3 years ago?

If it’s a “hockey trade” that fills a roster need for Carolina like say Hanifin for ROR then I’d have less concerns because it would seem to be aligned with making the team better.

But if it’s for a pick and a prospect, that would smell of a team that’s fairly motivated to unload a player, even though it doesn’t align with their overall goals (playoffs).

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
I think if the 2 or 3 Players on the their draft board are gone by then you are going to see Gary Bettman walking up to the podium to say we have a trade to announce.

Agree but if the player they want is Boqvist - as some have suggested - then it’s likely we keep the pick and make the selection. Because I think it’s very unlikely Boqvist goes before 7.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Agree but if the player they want is Boqvist - as some have suggested - then it’s likely we keep the pick and make the selection. Because I think it’s very unlikely Boqvist goes before 7.

After last years draft, seeing a Guy who pretty much everyone thought was going top 5 guaranteed drop to 11.

I wont be shocked by any player dropping except the big 2.
I wouldn't even be shocked if zadina dropped outside of 5.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
After last years draft, seeing a Guy who pretty much everyone thought was going top 5 guaranteed drop to 11.

Agree. Have seen enough drafts to know almost any player can fall (outside of Dahlin and Svech). Look at Forsberg in 2012, was consensus too 3-4 pick, fell to 11, then turned into the best forward in the draft.

Teams do weird things and “consensus” lists don’t mean much in the end.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Agree. Have seen enough drafts to know almost any player can fall (outside of Dahlin and Svech). Look at Forsberg in 2012, was consensus too 3-4 pick, fell to 11, then turned into the best forward in the draft.

Teams do weird things and “consensus” lists don’t mean much in the end.
A lot of peeps would disagree with that theory in the Juolevi thread..?

lawrence

May 19, 2012

I don’t know how many times I said vilardi won’t be selected 5th overall by anyone never mind.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
I don’t know how many times I said vilardi won’t be selected 5th overall by anyone never mind.

How did you *know* this as a fact?

Did you have deep connections with Dallas and Colorado guaranteeing they wouldn’t take Vilardi?

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland

mmk

New owner / gm want to make their mark on the team.

Last year, if they didn't have the worst goaltending in the league they were already a playoff team. They are also the youngest team in the league.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
they are loaded on D
they need help up front
seattle expansion draft

And they have also missed the playoffs for 9 straight seasons. Last time they made it was 2009. And they want to swap a 21 year old for an 18 year old as the center piece? Doesn’t make sense.

They can land young nhl ready players from other teams besides Vancouver, who can’t afford to be adding more young talent to a deal.

I say no to a deal simply because I have zero faith that this management group would dea their bets like edler, tanev, etc to get younger talent.

I don’t see Carolina doing a straight up dea one for one here. And I do wonder about their willingness to give up on a 21 year old D with 3 nhl seasons under his belt who has all of the skill sets that you want In size, skating, offensive instincts. Something just doesn’t jive there....

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
And they have also missed the playoffs for 9 straight seasons. Last time they made it was 2009. And they want to swap a 21 year old for an 18 year old as the center piece? Doesn’t make sense.

They can land young nhl ready players from other teams besides Vancouver, who can’t afford to be adding more young talent to a deal.

I say no to a deal simply because I have zero faith that this management group would dea their bets like edler, tanev, etc to get younger talent.

I don’t see Carolina doing a straight up dea one for one here. And I do wonder about their willingness to give up on a 21 year old D with 3 nhl seasons under his belt who has all of the skill sets that you want In size, skating, offensive instincts. Something just doesn’t jive there....

the entire thread is hypothetical and boils down to is Hanifin worth a 7th overall

so idk why there is so much conjecture over why Carolina would trade Hanifin for a 7th overall

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad