Speculation: Poll: Would you trade the 7th Overall Pick for Noah Hanifin

Would you trade the 7th Overall Pick straight up for Noah Hanifin?

• Total voters

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
You only have to look /listen to the local sports media...They're all saying its a bad idea..and it seems like the majority of fans are not onboard either.

lush

@jasonlush
Sep 9, 2008
Vancouver
Will preface this by saying I haven't followed Hanafin one bit
I'm trying to find a single deal Benning has done similar to this, that has actually worked out
Closest as I can see would be the 2nd rounder he spent on a similarly aged Baertschi....
Maybe you could compare it to the Gudbranson trade in some ways as well

Then you look at his draft picks he's made around 7 OA and it's pretty hit or miss as well (it seems so far)

I guess there is a lot of risk and reward either way... I did mention in the other thread how much angst I felt over trying to pick the top D player (excluding Rasmus) after trying to make a similar choice in 2016 with Juolevi. Many have comforted me and said picking that player is much easier this year.

In the end, I think it's difficult to say at this juncture without looking at the draft board when pick #7 is up.

ChefBoiRD

Feb 26, 2018
This poll will swing heavy to NOT trading the 7th for Hanafin, since most the members here discovered this site through their intense love for drafting, hence - "HockeysFuture"

We are all draftists at heart, but the bean counters should be excused for being proponents to the move since at the end of the day, the chances are that Hanafin being better than the prospect who eventually gets selected 7th are quite strong.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
No.

Here's a little tip, if a team is looking to move a very young player for a draft pick there's usually a good reason for it. Carolina has seen what they have in Hanifin and would rather have a lottery ticket. In this league where young defensemen are highly sought after, it speaks volumes if they can't trade him for a good young forward.

ATypicalCanadian

Apr 30, 2015
Canada
Roll the dice on BPA and don't rush out to remove assets in the form of prospects and high picks from a team that so desperately needs them.

Ask yourself this hypothetical question , if Hanifin had been available a year ago with us trading 5th overall would you be happy looking back a year after seeing we could have had Pettersson ? Again it's hypothetical, but the whole thing is hypothetical until the trade does/doesn't happen, but I think most people would be pretty annoyed after seeing how Pettersson has performed if we had traded that pick.

VancouverJagger

Not trying to fit in
Feb 26, 2017
Vancouver - Coal Harbour
The question is would you trade Hanfin for the 7th Overall straight up.........not for the 7th overall +??? If that were the scenario yes I would do it. The reason is this - Hanfin is at least somewhat of a known quantity - he's at least a top 4 NHL D-man. While the 7th overall may have more upside there is also a plausible chance that at least 2 or 3 people taken out of the top 10 will bust......By doing this we might eliminate some of our upside but it also eliminates some of our downside as well.

Reactions: Howard Beale

Master Radishes

Nov 29, 2011
Both Canes and Nucks fans seem to agree we just don't make good trading partners. One side would inevitably be disappointed, and we all know it will be us.

StrictlyCommercial

Oct 28, 2006
Vancouver
If it's straight up, yes. Hanifin is only 21 with a 30 point season under his belt.

Generally, D take longer to develop than forwards. So if the choice is Dobson/Boqvist/Bouchard vs. Hanifin, I think Hanifin would fit better in our re-build.

Fact is we aren't getting Hanifin for just the 7th though.

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
If it's straight up, yes. Hanifin is only 21 with a 30 point season under his belt.

Generally, D take longer to develop than forwards. So if the choice is Dobson/Boqvist/Bouchard vs. Hanifin, I think Hanifin would fit better in our re-build.

Fact is we aren't getting Hanifin for just the 7th though.
Very true, but lately the top end D prospects are usually ready to make an impact fairly quickly. The Werenskis, Sergachevs, McAvoys (and Hanifins?) of the world aren't much more than a year or two out.

The question is whether you can snag one of those out of this draft, which does look to be fairly rich in defensemen.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
We need to keep drafting 18 year old top prospects with a full 7 years of team control.

If we're a rebuilding team, we should not be trading top 10 picks.

StrictlyCommercial

Oct 28, 2006
Vancouver
Very true, but lately the top end D prospects are usually ready to make an impact fairly quickly. The Werenskis, Sergachevs, McAvoys (and Hanifins?) of the world aren't much more than a year or two out.

The question is whether you can snag one of those out of this draft, which does look to be fairly rich in defensemen.

Hughes is probably the best bet. If he falls to 7 I would probably keep the pick.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

Donuts

Nov 7, 2014
Acquire more picks and not trade them.
Potential of players at #7 is higher than what hanifin has become.

Plus like others said it will cost more than just the pick.

n1n3l1v3s

Nov 23, 2017
If it's straight up, I'd say yes. We need a top 4 defenseman and chances are the defensemen available in the draft don't have much higher upside than hanifin.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
If it's straight up, I'd say yes. We need a top 4 defenseman and chances are the defensemen available in the draft don't have much higher upside than hanifin.

Higher upside, no. Higher probability of reaching theirs, yes.

I would take any one of Kotkaniemi, Wahlstrom, Dobson, Boqvist, Bouchard, Hughes, Smith, Tkachuk etc... over Hanafin.

Reactions: WhiteCurse

drax0s

Mar 18, 2014
Vancouver, BC.
Was debating picking "Depends who's left on the board", but it's highly likely Dobson, Wahlstrom or Kotkaniemi are there. I'd happily take any of them. Keep the pick - especially because it's likely to cost more than 7OA for Hanafin.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->