Speculation: Poll: Would you trade the 7th Overall Pick for Noah Hanifin

Would you trade the 7th Overall Pick straight up for Noah Hanifin?

• Total voters

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Saw this in an Athletic article from Jason Brough today, apologies if it’s been discussed already:

That being said, I did speak to Trevor Linden on Friday, so here’s what I can pass on from Vancouver’s president of hockey operations:
  • There’s a very, very strong possibility that the Canucks are going to make the pick.
  • To trade it, they’d have to get their doors blown off with a young player that they like, plus something else.
  • And that, if you’ve been paying attention, would seem to quash those Noah Hanifin-for-the-seventh rumours that had the Canucks sweetening the pot to make a deal, not the Hurricanes.
“The speculation has gotten a life of its own,” said Linden, who admitted to rolling his eyes after seeing the seventh overall pick on TSN.ca’s Trade Bait board.

I dearly hope this is accurate.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
the entire thread is hypothetical and boils down to is Hanifin worth a 7th overall

so idk why there is so much conjecture over why Carolina would trade Hanifin for a 7th overall
Straight up yes. But, I like to live in a real world scenario and I don't see this ever happening. Canucks would need to add to the 7th OA pick and they can't spare the additional assets.

But, it seems that this story has gone from the Canucks kicking the tires since they heard Hannifin's name was being bandied about and made an inquiry, which they should be doing.

But, logically, Carolina needs to do a Jones/Johansen type trade to maximize value and fill a need.

Reactions: Hindustan Smyl

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
Straight up yes. But, I like to live in a real world scenario and I don't see this ever happening. Canucks would need to add to the 7th OA pick and they can't spare the additional assets.

But, it seems that this story has gone from the Canucks kicking the tires since they heard Hannifin's name was being bandied about and made an inquiry, which they should be doing.

But, logically, Carolina needs to do a Jones/Johansen type trade to maximize value and fill a need.
They should just trade Hanifin for O’Reilly+

Reactions: Hindustan Smyl

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
They should just trade Hanifin for O’Reilly+
I don’t think that’s a good move for Carolina. Giving up 6 years to get ROR. He’s 27, so unless they are in a win now mode they won’t have many of his prime years left before they need to retain him into his late 30’s and often those deals blow up in the teams face.

I’d deal hanifin for mittlestadt for sure. I’d have t think about it for reinhart. Both have put in 3 nhl seasons so both teams have a decent sample size to know strengths and weaknesses and what the likely upside is.

These two are close in age being only 2 years apart from hanifin.

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
I don’t think that’s a good move for Carolina. Giving up 6 years to get ROR. He’s 27, so unless they are in a win now mode they won’t have many of his prime years left before they need to retain him into his late 30’s and often those deals blow up in the teams face.

I’d deal hanifin for mittlestadt for sure. I’d have t think about it for reinhart. Both have put in 3 nhl seasons so both teams have a decent sample size to know strengths and weaknesses and what the likely upside is.

There’s no way buffalo trades Mittlestadt for Hanifin. He’s tracking almost as well as Pettersson..

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
There’s no way buffalo trades Mittlestadt for Hanifin. He’s tracking almost as well as Pettersson..
I agree. So kind of leaves reinhart.

And with dahlin they won’t be desperate for D.

And buffalo seems intent on moving ROR.

So, it doesn’t seem like a fit unless Carolina wants to give up those years. If Carolina wouldn’t do Duchene for Noah, doubt they do ROR for him. Both those guys came from 2009 draft. Difference is the contract with ROR under contract until 2023 vs 2019.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland

Carolina is way way closer to being a contender then last season would lead you to believe.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Carolina is way way closer to being a contender then last season would lead you to believe.
Closer to being a playoff team depending on how they fix their goaltending. But I wouldn’t say they are a contender anytime soon.

I just wouldn’t sell off those 6 years between hanifin and ROR.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
Thing is Carolina is loaded on LD: Slavin, Hanifin, Fleury and Bean. If Carolina feels that Fleury and/or Bean can adequately fill in for Hanifin on the 2nd pairing behind Slavin, why wouldn't they look to move him?

Just makes more sense for them to move Hanifin for more immediate forward help rather than for a Top 10 pick especially when the majority of the projected prospects between 3-10 are dmen.

Regardless, Nucks should keep the pick and draft BPA.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Thing is Carolina is loaded on LD: Slavin, Hanifin, Fleury and Bean. If Carolina feels that Fleury and/or Bean can adequately fill in for Hanifin on the 2nd pairing behind Slavin, why wouldn't they look to move him?

Just makes more sense for them to move Hanifin for more immediate forward help rather than for a Top 10 pick especially when the majority of the projected prospects between 3-10 are dmen.

Regardless, Nucks should keep the pick and draft BPA.

Yes. But the narrative for some seems to be that there's a reason why Carolina is looking to move him and the reason isn't that they have depth and other holes to fill.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Yes. But the narrative for some seems to be that there's a reason why Carolina is looking to move him and the reason isn't that they have depth and other holes to fill.

While I feel its more about trading from a position of strength to fix a weakness, its a fair question to wonder why Hanifin is the odd man out.

My guess is he is a bit of a tricky RFA to sign. He had a down year in 2016-17 then another productionve season last season. So the team doesn't know which Hanifin they are getting. The one of the upswing or the one who didn't do much in 2016.

That combined with his young age and untapped potential he still will bring a decent haul back.

Maybe? What do I know....

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
It would be a little funny to see both Carolina and Buffalo fart in Jim Benning’s face after Benning’s discussions about Hanifin and O’Reilly lead to a dead end.
But if the price for ROR is a young player like hanifin that’s not something that makes sense for Vancouver.

And the Canucks don’t have the C t give up for hanifin.

Canucks are not good trading partners with either team.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
While I feel its more about trading from a position of strength to fix a weakness, its a fair question to wonder why Hanifin is the odd man out.

My guess is he is a bit of a tricky RFA to sign. He had a down year in 2016-17 then another productionve season last season. So the team doesn't know which Hanifin they are getting. The one of the upswing or the one who didn't do much in 2016.

That combined with his young age and untapped potential he still will bring a decent haul back.

Maybe? What do I know....

I have no issues with wondering why Hanifin would potentially be the odd man out. My issue is the idea that his availability should somehow be a good reason not to acquire him. It doesn't prove anything and you only need to look over the Hanifin-related threads to know this. The fact is that Hanifin is not a proven player in the sense that there are some who don't see him having a higher ceiling than what he has shown or even that he's not a top 4 Dman right now. If you think that then you do not trade significant assets for him and Carolina should dump him now. But if you think the opposite then you consider it giving significant assets for him and Carolina should wait for the right deal or not trade him at all. The fact that he may be available has zero meaning.

I think it would be stupid to trade Hanifin because of the reasons you speculated. If you're unsure of the player, you can always offer a 2 year bridge contract. Of course, if he thinks he's like worth $6M a year then ya he would be tricky to sign.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
If Carolina trades Lindholm and Hanifin for 7th overall, Sutter and Virtanen. I will probably make that trade. Don't think Carolina does that.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
If Carolina trades Lindholm and Hanifin for 7th overall, Sutter and Virtanen. I will probably make that trade. Don't think Carolina does that.

As much as I love Virtanen, I’d love that deal if it went down. There’s no way Carolina does that though. What people have to realize, from Carolina’s perspective, is that they’d only consider accepting that Canucks package for Hanifin alone.

terrible dee

Oct 1, 2017
As much as I love Virtanen, I’d love that deal if it went down. There’s no way Carolina does that though. What people have to realize, from Carolina’s perspective, is that they’d only consider accepting that Canucks package for Hanifin alone.

Good god! Will people stop acting like Hanafin is WORTH that kind of price?

THE GUY DOESN'T MAKE A DIFFERENCE! HE DOESN'T MOVE THE NEEDLE!

GET IT?? He's a decent player....that's it BLAHHHHH!

WHY do think more "Blah" players is the answer for the Canucks?'

I GUARANTEE if this trade goes down we have another Stecher, Hutton, Pouliotte on the roster.......YAAAAAAY!

Great armchair GM'ing guys, that's really going to take the world by storm

LOOK! The Caucks are in the GUTTER we need DIFFERENCE MAKERS....period\

7th O.A gives us a shot a one, not a lottery ticket, a game of spin the bottle....A CHANCE

We have ZERO chance of getting out of the NHL homeless shelter stockpiling the Hanifin's of this world....he brings us NOTHING, in fact his play is brought down to our level,

Give your heads a shake, stop just parroting what you hear on TV "Oh the Canucks need a defenseman...there's one! GET HIM!

terrible dee

Oct 1, 2017
Originally I would have strongly considered it but with another expansion looming in the near future, I’d hate to have to use a spot to protect him based on the player he is today. I don’t necessarily think it’s a bad trade, I think it’s just a bad time for this team to make that trade.

Exactly!

This is what the GM's of the league do when a problem is looming, they call poor mentally deficient Jim Benning, and dump the problem on him.....they don't want to lose expansion players for nothing......WE DON"T PAY THEM TO HELP THEM, THEY PAY US!!

This is Gudbranson all over again, where our GM gets taken for a ride

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Hanifin or Hughes?

has anyone changed their opinion?

Prefer to roll the dice on the offensive upside of Hughes. Hanifin could be a nice piece in a decent top 4 but Hughes at 18 projects to provide more overall value than Hanifin does now at age 21.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Here’s the thing though:

For JUST the 7th overall? Sure. However, Hanifin will cost more than just the 7th.

Edit - FWIW, I technically should have voted, “depends who’s left on the board.” If Quinn Hughes was available at 7 (which he won’t be since Detroit has a hard on for the guy), then I’d pick Hughes. And of course, this is under the fallacious assumption that the 7th alone would land us Hanifin.
For the millions of times that I’ve been wrong about anything hockey related, I’m really glad that this was one of those times.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
considering what the flames gave up

hanifin >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 7th overall

score 1: ainec

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->