Poll: Who is named the next Oilers captain?

Wheatking

Sep 25, 2006
Hall and Eberle as A's is an ingenious plan perpetrated by Krueger to make the refs respect the kids more.

Brillant!

I never thought of that but it's an interesting point. I had kind of forgotten how many calls were "missed" on Hall the last two years.

Wheatking

Sep 25, 2006
I'm not too impressed with the decisions made. First of all, you have Eberle and Hall who are friends, competitive in a friendly way, and both seem to have potential for captaincy. Why give one of them what appears to be a more substantial rank (Ebs' permanent A) at this point? The only thing you gain is potentially putting Hall's nose slightly out of joint before the time at which you actually need to choose between them for captaincy. I'm not saying he necessarily will take it badly, but it's possible that a person with his competitive nature would. Are the Oilers indicating who the next captain will be? If so, it's big news for Hall.

Secondly, I'm sure nick Schultz is an excellent leader and a good guy, but so is Whitney. Do you really have to take it away from one of them in favor of the other? Schultz would have been okay with leading without an A, but in the process, they've had to strip Whitney's A. That doesn't scan too well with me. I remember how impressed most people were with Whitney's leadership when he got traded here. During the time when that veteran group of Moreau, etc. were apparently showing a complete lack of compete and positivity, Whitney came straight out and said that he doesn't accept mediocrity and showed some anger. Anyway, I think he's a good guy, and he's honest like when he said he was a little sandbagged by this today.

There have been a few posts like this lately. The theme being that our players are very sensitive and are going to have their feelings hurt. Lets give these guys a little credit. They may be new to the league but they're still grown men. I really doubt Hall cares that Eberle has a permanent A while he's rotating with Schultz.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Hahaha! I hear ya. I only listen when he's interviewing a player.

Yeah, he's pretty annoying.

Was curious myself about the comments about Hemsky. The links the podcasts were a bit messed up, but you can find them on the general Podcast page.

http://www.theteam1260.com/podcasts.aspx

01/15/13 - Rishaug comes around 32 minutes in Hour 2, but the actual section he speaks about Hemsky and the leadership is around the 52/53 minute mark of hour 3.

Sounds more like he's saying it's a weight off Hemsky's shoulders rather than being pissed about it, since he was uncomfortable and unwilling in the leadership role as it was.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad