Poll: Who is named the next Oilers captain?

MCDAVIDISH

Jul 18, 2011
Edmonton
Glad they gave it to Ebs full time. He's mature beyond his years and is a true professional. I like that Hall gets an A also, albeit a rotating A... But eventually I'd llike Ebs to be captain over Hall, I prefer Hall to be a bit crazy... He has to be with his playing style and it adds a good dimension haha, every player can't be stoic and polite.

Hynh

Jun 19, 2012
i dont understand schultz over smid. otherwise quite pleased

Smid might have declined. He seems like the kind of guy that is a steadying presence and respected/liked but doesn't actively lead.

Anyone starting to think that the endgame will be Hall/Eberle sharing the C? Complementary styles IMO.

eS7

Dec 22, 2011
Saskatchewan
He's probably got better leadership qualities. Without being in the dressing room, it's hard to tell who the best candidates are.

True, Smid is a great guy and he wants to be here more than anyone. But that doesn't mean he would be a great leader. He might be the kind of guy (Like I guess Schultz is anyways) that just leads with or without a letter. Which I see a lot of in out up and coming players and players we already have here. This isn't as much about "leaders" as it is the injection of youth and giving the team to the kids I think.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
True, Smid is a great guy and he wants to be here more than anyone. But that doesn't mean he would be a great leader. He might be the kind of guy (Like I guess Schultz is anyways) that just leads with or without a letter. Which I see a lot of in out up and coming players and players we already have here. This isn't as much about "leaders" as it is the injection of youth and giving the team to the kids I think.

I agree. You can't strip Horcoff of the C, so they did the only other real option, and gave the other 2 spots to the kids

Njoy Oilers

Aug 6, 2010
Southern Alberta.
It's so weird to me that Hall is only a part time 'A' while Eberle is a full time 'A'. I would have thought for sure it would be the other way around. I mean isn't it generally accepted that Hall will be the next captain?

Meh. Whatever. I just hope this captaincy stuff doesn't affect the room.

Pretty much...... Just HF Boards. :amazed:

Njoy Oilers

Aug 6, 2010
Southern Alberta.
Question people? Why would we even think that Ralph would have made the wrong choices without either interviewing or following their progress? Unless of course some may be setting him up for a fall if a, god forbid, losing streak occurs.

MikeModano9

Oct 27, 2011
Tallahassee
I say they gave Ebs the A permanently...as in forever but when Horc is done as the C, Hall will get it. leaving Schultz as the other permanent A. Barring changes obviously.

BadMedicine*

I think Horcoff is to Iggy-like in his approach to the entire constellation of leadership methods he uses,and I am not happy we didnt move past him for a variety of reasons but mainly because he is not enough of an extrovert to lead a championship team,for gods sakes he has a personality and demeanor like Pierre Trudeau--no kidding go youtube some old videos of our Famous PM.You will see what I mean,Ha ha ha ha.

Now that we have put this issue behind us we can get set to rock and roll.

Our Captain is still our Captain, I have been a fan for the entire Oilers journey and i cant really say how you got the Captaincy in the first place--attrition comes to mind--but on that note I cannot seem to see the endgame here for you either ---its all over my head--I even looked really closely at Katz to see if he might be your long lost brother or something and we were all in the dark here,ha ha ha ha.At this point a man of Mystery like yourself just might be able to song and dance,ha ha ha, this team to a Cup.I am giving you the usual 100% support a loyal fan needs to provide,now make something of it alright Chico.Now you can turn up the offense with all the pressure off of you,no role playing differently every night,you can focus on your strengths.Smytty is an excellent passer---so tune up your one-timer again,dust that sucker off.

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005
Hall and Eberle as A's is an ingenious plan perpetrated by Krueger to make the refs respect the kids more.

Brillant!

Moonlapse Vertigo

Katz n' MacT BFFs
Oct 2, 2009
Edmonton
Steve Tambellini ‏@FakeOilersGM
I told Ales & Ryan not to worry about losing the "A"; titles don't mean a damn thing. I'm the "GM" and Kevin doesn't let me do jack ****.

:laugh:

Fiddie

Jan 10, 2009
Edmonton
only if he can sustain his level of leadership...

Great for Eberle and Hall though. You can tell that they're the two guys leading the younger group. Loved the videos from two years ago about their living arrangements.

I think the advanced stats guys have proved that he should deviate back to the mean and that his current leadership percentage is unsustainable.

orangeshinpads

Jan 27, 2007
Vancouver
I'm not too impressed with the decisions made. First of all, you have Eberle and Hall who are friends, competitive in a friendly way, and both seem to have potential for captaincy. Why give one of them what appears to be a more substantial rank (Ebs' permanent A) at this point? The only thing you gain is potentially putting Hall's nose slightly out of joint before the time at which you actually need to choose between them for captaincy. I'm not saying he necessarily will take it badly, but it's possible that a person with his competitive nature would. Are the Oilers indicating who the next captain will be? If so, it's big news for Hall.

Secondly, I'm sure nick Schultz is an excellent leader and a good guy, but so is Whitney. Do you really have to take it away from one of them in favor of the other? Schultz would have been okay with leading without an A, but in the process, they've had to strip Whitney's A. That doesn't scan too well with me. I remember how impressed most people were with Whitney's leadership when he got traded here. During the time when that veteran group of Moreau, etc. were apparently showing a complete lack of compete and positivity, Whitney came straight out and said that he doesn't accept mediocrity and showed some anger. Anyway, I think he's a good guy, and he's honest like when he said he was a little sandbagged by this today.

Last edited:

windjackass

Hiss Hiss Hiss
Dec 13, 2010
Edmonton
I'm not too impressed with the decisions made. First of all, you have Eberle and Hall who are friends, competitive in a friendly way, and both seem to have potential for captaincy. Why give one of them what appears to be a more substantial rank (Ebs' permanent A) at this point? The only thing you gain is potentially putting Hall's nose slightly out of joint before the time at which you actually need to choose between them for captaincy. I'm not saying he necessarily will take it badly, but it's possible that a person with his competitive nature would. Are the Oilers indicating who the next captain will be? If so, it's big news for Hall.

Secondly, I'm sure nick Schultz is an excellent leader and a good guy, but so is Whitney. Do you really have to take it away from one of them in favor of the other? Schultz would have been okay with leading without an A, but in the process, they've had to strip Whitney's A. That doesn't scan too well with me. I remember how impressed most people were with Whitney's leadership when he got traded here. During the time when that veteran group of Moreau, etc. were apparently showing a complete lack of compete and positivity, Whitney came straight out and said that he doesn't accept mediocrity and showed some anger. Anyway, I think he's a good guy, and he's honest like when he said he was a little sandbagged by this today.

Eberle was drafted first. This is a non-issue for me. The rotating A will just give Hall more incentive to step up. He has more to prove with all his time lost to injury.

JessikaLovejoy

Jan 31, 2010
Robin Brownlee ‏@Robin_Brownlee
Is @TSNRyanRishaug saying Hemsky is pissed at losing A on Gregor Show? Off the ice in 5 seconds today? Used to be off in 3 seconds.

Did anyone listen to this segment?

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
Whitney himself admitted he was not acting like a captain and didn't deserve the letter last year. I'm sure he understands.

Evets 81

Dec 29, 2012
B.C.
I have no problems with the decisions made. It's been obvious for a long time now that Hall and/or Eberle are the future leaders of the team, and since the team is having a youth movement, it makes sense to start bringing in the youthful leadership. This works great to go with the increased responsibilities during games (tougher minutes, matchups, etc.) that they'll be getting this year.

I personally would have liked to see Smid worked in somehow, but if that wasn't able to happen for whatever reason, then so be it. I'm assuming Smid knows his role on the team and since he is a good veteran presence to begin with, maybe/hopefully he is already acting as a bit of a leader without a letter.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Robin Brownlee ‏@Robin_Brownlee
Is @TSNRyanRishaug saying Hemsky is pissed at losing A on Gregor Show? Off the ice in 5 seconds today? Used to be off in 3 seconds.

Did anyone listen to this segment?

Started to listen to the show, but had to turn it off the radio when Gregor started to rant incessantly that anyone who doesn't agree with him is an idiot.

So I wasn't listening anywhere after the 2:10 pm mark.

JessikaLovejoy

Jan 31, 2010
Started to listen to the show, but had to turn it off the radio when Gregor started to rant incessantly that anyone who doesn't agree with him is an idiot.

So I wasn't listening anywhere after the 2:10 pm mark.

Hahaha! I hear ya. I only listen when he's interviewing a player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad