Poll: Who is named the next Oilers captain?

stratedge

My relationship with the Oilers is abusive.
Jul 25, 2007
Calgary, AB
It's so weird to me that Hall is only a part time 'A' while Eberle is a full time 'A'. I would have thought for sure it would be the other way around. I mean isn't it generally accepted that Hall will be the next captain?

Meh. Whatever. I just hope this captaincy stuff doesn't affect the room.

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
It's so weird to me that Hall is only a part time 'A' while Eberle is a full time 'A'. I would have thought for sure it would be the other way around. I mean isn't it generally accepted that Hall will be the next captain?

meh... Eberle is older and more mature, I wouldn't look too far into it.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia

I'm thinking Ebs might be a bigger dressing room presence than we're aware of

molsonmuscle360

Jan 25, 2009
Ft. McMurray Ab

Since when was it generally accepted Hall was the next C? I've heard media sources call for Eberle as the C, I've even seen Smid's name bantered about. Eberle is more centered then Hall is, Hall has a tendency to get a little worked up, and when dealing with the refs that can be an issue at times.

I don't see this affecting the room at all though, Whitney sounded like he knew he wasn't going to have an A this season earlier in the week. Hemsky and Smyth are both aware of whose team this is as well, so I don't think they are that upset. I think they just want to win.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I find Eberle to be more level headed than Hall. So doesn't surprise me he got the permenant role this year.

Eberle was one of the young guys who got pissed off last year at the vets (and maybe Renney) during that little locker room meltdown we had late in the season, wasn't he? I'd say he has considerable influence.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Wild fan here in peace. Came here for info about the Oilers captain and saw a couple posts on the Wild's captaincy.

The rotating captain was annoying for most of us at the time, but in hindsight I think it was a smart idea. We didn't have any players who were leaders in the locker room and on the score sheet. Most of our scorers were quiet, laid back guys. So no natural captains really.

So the rotating C ended up doing two things:

1. Took the pressure off any one player to be "the guy" who had to talk to the media after losses, keep his cool all the time, manage the players, come up with the clutch goal or play, etc. Instead, coach Lemaire took all that heat. A lot like Tortorella does with the Rangers with his ridiculous press conferences.

2. Was a nice reward for players who went above and beyond or might not get recognized. Like when Gaborik FINALLY started buying into Lemaire's defensive schemes (after a short eight years) and he got to wear the C. Or grinders who showed up and did their job and had a nice month.

Basically, unless you have a guy who jumps out as the face of the franchise or an unquestionable leader head and shoulders above the rest, it's not a bad idea. Especially for a young team like yours who's trying to establish an identity and looking for leaders to step forward.

eS7

Dec 22, 2011
Saskatchewan
Wild fan here in peace. Came here for info about the Oilers captain and saw a couple posts on the Wild's captaincy.

The rotating captain was annoying for most of us at the time, but in hindsight I think it was a smart idea. We didn't have any players who were leaders in the locker room and on the score sheet. Most of our scorers were quiet, laid back guys. So no natural captains really.

So the rotating C ended up doing two things:

1. Took the pressure off any one player to be "the guy" who had to talk to the media after losses, keep his cool all the time, manage the players, come up with the clutch goal or play, etc. Instead, coach Lemaire took all that heat. A lot like Tortorella does with the Rangers with his ridiculous press conferences.

2. Was a nice reward for players who went above and beyond or might not get recognized. Like when Gaborik FINALLY started buying into Lemaire's defensive schemes (after a short eight years) and he got to wear the C. Or grinders who showed up and did their job and had a nice month.

Basically, unless you have a guy who jumps out as the face of the franchise or an unquestionable leader head and shoulders above the rest, it's not a bad idea. Especially for a young team like yours who's trying to establish an identity and looking for leaders to step forward.

Thank you for dropping by!

I'm sure you saw the complaining about bringing in Nick Schultz and then assigning him the A. I for one believe that I saw a very calming influence out of him last year and from everything I've heard he is a good guy to have with a letter on in the locker room.

What do you think about him having an "A" for us this year? He is rotating every game with Hall. Would like an opinion from someone who probably knows that side of him better than we do!

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Schultz were absolutely loved by all the players and coaches. He's a quieter guy but very steady, more of a lead by example type. If memory serves, he and his wife were very helpful and welcoming to newer players and their families. Media guys called him a fixture and a lot of players were in shock when he was traded.

All that said, I don't think he needs a letter on his jersey to be a leader. I think it would be a sign of respect from teammates but I don't think it would change how he acts or plays.

Don't like the idea of him rotating with Hall...one or the other IMO. If Hall's ready, give it to him, otherwise wait until the time is right. I hate the idea of letters moving around so frequently. Of course, I think the Wild had Heatley and Cullen splitting road and home A's last year and I think Schultz wore the A until he was traded.

eS7

Dec 22, 2011
Saskatchewan
Schultz were absolutely loved by all the players and coaches. He's a quieter guy but very steady, more of a lead by example type. If memory serves, he and his wife were very helpful and welcoming to newer players and their families. Media guys called him a fixture and a lot of players were in shock when he was traded.

All that said, I don't think he needs a letter on his jersey to be a leader. I think it would be a sign of respect from teammates but I don't think it would change how he acts or plays.

Don't like the idea of him rotating with Hall...one or the other IMO. If Hall's ready, give it to him, otherwise wait until the time is right. I hate the idea of letters moving around so frequently. Of course, I think the Wild had Heatley and Cullen splitting road and home A's last year and I think Schultz wore the A until he was traded.

Yeah if Schultz is just that good of a guy I don't see the need to give him a letter. I'm kind of glad he has one out of respect but it's kind of the same thing as Smyth in my opinion. Good guy, respects the young kids and helps anyone to adapt, leads by example. Doesn't need a letter to change that. Might have been best to just give it to Hall and Ebs? Who knows though, could work out.

McXLNC97

Mar 20, 2007
B.C.
I could see Eberle being a captain in the future. He's got that Yzerman/Sakic type demeanor.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
I don't have a problem with Schultz wearing a letter, but I am a bit surprised that guys like Hemsky and especially Smyth aren't wearing anything. I mean, if you're giving Schultz a letter out of respect, you'd think Smyth would get one too. I think this team has had some major locker room issues in the last few years, ex. Whitney's recent report.

McGreat One

Jan 1, 2010
I'm alright with these choices. Whatever about Horcoff's skill level and stats, the guy still seemed to be a decent captain who the younger players look up to. I like how he chose both Hall and Ebs for the A's because there is a very good chance that in just a few short years one of these guys will be wearing the C and this gives both of them some well needed leadership experience before just throwing them into the position.

I was 100% in agreement a while back to make Hall the next captain but for some reason I've been leaning towards Eberle lately because I like how he conducts himself in interviews and during his time in OKC he just seemed like the guy who carried that team both on the ice and off. Hall might have the heart for the role but I can see Ebs having the head to go along with the heart. I guess this will be a test for both of the young guys to see who will be better for the role.

The only thing I don't like about this is not giving Smyth a letter. I was a little upset with Smyth when he decided he was going to walk away from the team because he wanted more money but in all honesty, if anyone can remember the situation, he was very well deserving of that little extra he was asking for and it was a slap in the office when the organization refused to give it to him. The guy bleeds Oiler's colors and has done more than enough to show his devotion to the team as well as the city of Edmonton. He's also been such a good leader for all of the younger guys on the team and to not be presented a letter is once again a small slap in the face for Smyth. But being the character guy he is, he will take it all in stride and continue putting his heart and soul into this organization and city like he's always done. I just hope that this team can somehow win a cup before Smyth calls it a career and out of appreciation, the captain, whoever it might be at the time, hands the cup to Smyth much the same as when the Sakic presented the cup to Bourque a few years back.

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
Kinda don't understand why they would give an A to Schultz, who hasn't even been here long, and not to a guy like Smytty or Smid.

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
I have a feeling Ebs is more liked by his teammates. Halls personality may rub a lot of people the wrong way, also he's kind of dumb.

lol @ this so true. I love Hall but he is more heart and less brains than Eberle.

molsonmuscle360

Jan 25, 2009
Ft. McMurray Ab
Check out the poll at the top of the screen

Oh, I had thought he had meant with like journalists and hockey people, not just fans. The media adores Eberle, they all think he's our best player (I tend to agree), and the most emotionally mature of the kids. Personally I think someone quiet and steady like Smid should be Captain (reminds me a lot of Jason Smith in that regard) but Eberle would also be a great choice IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad