Salary Cap: Poll - Swayman Arbitration Result?

Swayman is awarded (approximately)?

• $2

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • $2.5

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • $3

Votes: 16 13.8%
  • $3.5

Votes: 78 67.2%
  • $4

Votes: 14 12.1%
  • $4.5

Votes: 3 2.6%
  • $5

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

mar2kbos

Sep 28, 2017
A rookie would take the spot of someone else, so there’s always room. Swayman won’t come in that low. Can get there with a 22 man roster which is pretty normal now.
What happens to that someone else? They would still count against the cap would they not, I didnt think they could bury a salary in the minors anymore.

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
It is puke worthy, we lose Hall, Bergeron, Bertuzzi, Orlov, Nosek, most likely Krejci, and STILL will be against the cap. Granted there is a lot of 1 year deals so its not an on going problem, but still feels like they lost a lot without gaining much wiggle room. It also makes it harder if a rookie(s) surprises at camp and there isnt enough cap space to keep them up. Swayman deal depending on award will probably have to trade another player to, and even if he comes in under 3.1mil it wont be much under that, so that probably is most likely a definitely. Think one of Forbort or Grez will need to be moved. I'd say Forbort but I just dont think there is a market for him where there probably is for Grez.

Try looking at it another way...where is the fat on this roster? Which players are worth less than their cap hit? The only one I even see an argument for is Derek Forbort, who carries a $3m cap hit and is still a very valuable player worth at least $2.25m AVV.

So that cap management can't be that bad.

Reactions: PlayMakers

DiggityDog

2 Minutes for Ruffing
Nov 2, 2019
What happens to that someone else? They would still count against the cap would they not, I didnt think they could bury a salary in the minors anymore.
You can be bury up to about $1.2 mill of a players cap hit.

If you demoted Forbort the relief would be the full $1.2, with a remaining cap hit of $1.8

If you demoted say Zboril or Shattenkirk you would be totally relieved of those cap hits.

These are just rounding up numbers btw, I don’t know the exact number. I believe I’m close.

mar2kbos

Sep 28, 2017
They would not, with some caveats
Lets the cavaet is not adding to the following years cap. They'll have a good amount of space. I am dreaming of Leafs fans and media pissing off Matthews next season, becomes UFA and have him sign with Bs just to continue to eat their souls. I know it would kill cap space, but the tears oh would be delicious

mar2kbos

Sep 28, 2017
Try looking at it another way...where is the fat on this roster? Which players are worth less than their cap hit? The only one I even see an argument for is Derek Forbort, who carries a $3m cap hit and is still a very valuable player worth at least $2.25m AVV.

So that cap management can't be that bad.
Would be Coyle if anyone, but the cap management isnt bad going forward, it may be a bit tough this season, but they are definitely in a better spot coming out of the season. I am hoping that is where they pick up their new 1 Center.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Lets the cavaet is not adding to the following years cap. They'll have a good amount of space. I am dreaming of Leafs fans and media pissing off Matthews next season, becomes UFA and have him sign with Bs just to continue to eat their souls. I know it would kill cap space, but the tears oh would be delicious
Incorrect. If Beecher beats out Greer and Greer is sent down, Greer comes off the cap.

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
If Dup is right I would be completely surprised. I can't see it but anything is possible I guess.
In reality he is a back up goalie today. I could easily see that type of contract for one year until he becomes a #1

Personally I don't think he is.

mar2kbos

Sep 28, 2017
Incorrect. If Beecher beats out Greer and Greer is sent down, Greer comes off the cap.
Depends on who they send down, right? Like the post above anyone above only gets 1.2 mil removed. I get what you are saying, but depending on Swayman's award, they may need to move another body.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Depends on who they send down, right? Like the post above anyone above only gets 1.2 mil removed. I get what you are saying, but depending on Swayman's award, they may need to move another body.
If they run a 22 man roster and send a defenseman down they’ll be fine. Could still move someone. And could bury a forward if a kid beats them out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad