POLL: How many cups do the Pens have today if Sullivan/Rutherford era started in 09-10?

How many total cups do the Pens have today if Sullivan/Rutherford era started in 09-10?

• 8 - (3 more cups)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 9 - (4 more cups)

• 10 - (5 more cups)

• Total voters

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY
Very difficult to say. I voted one more, and I do think the Pens could've came at the bare minimum very close to winning another one between 2010 - 2013. Each team had its own unique strength and weaknesses.

2010 - Deep and talented team, awesome top 9. Bottom D maybe a weakness. MAF absolutely crapped the bed in the 2nd round. Fatigued played a factor, after a Cup win and a SCF appearance the year before.

2011 - Obviously Crosby and Malkin being injured killed this team. Still, I like how they played and with Crosby and Malkin healthy this is probably the 2nd best team in the DB era. This is the only season that I thought DB was good. W/ 87 and 71 this team could have challenged for a Cup. MAF outplayed by 72 year old Dwayne Roloson and team blew a 3-1 lead in the playoffs.

2012 - W/ Sid, the talent was there. This is the year however, where both DB and Shero truly failed. DB sent a message to his team that it was ok to not try defensively. Then the playoff debacle happened. Team also had a weak bottom 6. MAF was playoff MAF. DB should've been fired.

2013 - This team had the offense to win, and a backup goalie (Vokoun) to save the team after MAF pooped the bed. I didn't love the D corps, and I think Shero gave up too much for Douglas Murray. Shero was simply getting random guys, rather than trying to put together a team with a style in mind. Then DB actively tells his team to play physical in the ECF, which took them out of their style, and ultimately lead to their being swept.

2014 - Shero's belief that you could put anyone next to 87 and 71 truly began to show this year. Zero depth.

DB won a Cup with Therrien's team. He did a good job in 2011, but was an otherwise awful coach. He won games because of his roster, not because he was a good coach.

Shero did some outstanding things in Pittsburgh. My main complaint is not firing DB after 2012. No excuses for that. I also think he made some mistakes drafting, and never did a good job building strong forward depth. He was too faithful to old buddies (Adams, Eaton, Scuderi) and I don't think he ever had an idea what kind of team he wanted. Just seemed like he just wanted good players without an actual goal. This is something GMJR has done an excellent job with.

edog37

Jan 21, 2007
Pittsburgh
It doesn't work like this.

In 2016 we had Rust, Sheary, Kuhn, and Murray fall onto our laps. Guentzel in 2017. Who's to say JR would have let MAF walk as UFA and signed Brian Elliot instead? Or kept Whitney and never acquired Kunitz?

It worked out well but there is NOTHING to suggest that Sullivan/JR would have fared better than 1 SC and 2 SC appearances 2008-2015.

agreed. It doesn't work this way at all. Pieces came together when they did and thankfully while Sid/Geno is still in their primes. Plus, Sid today vs Sid of 2012 is light & day. He matured greatly and became an even better captain....

Pengwins

Jun 13, 2017
I have to politely disagree. Crosby was injured and that team was a two-line group. IMO the weakest team in the Bylsma-era.
Yeah bet I didn’t think LA or NYR were that good whereas the other years the Finals teams were much better

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad