Pre-Game Talk: POLE - What Ails The Oil? - Nashville Saturday Afternoon, 1 PM.

Pick the top 3 reasons the Oilers are doing so terrible to start the year.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton

I will off myself if I see its Ernie or Malone.

It’s gonna be Malone or Erne which is fine as Woody will only give them 4-5 minutes of ice time anyways as it’s 11-6 tomorrow. Rather have one of them rotting on the bench than Lavoie.

Last edited:

Shizuka

Mar 16, 2002
In purgatory
I'd pick nearly every single option on there if there was the choice to do so. Just complete, abject failure in all facets of the organization, from entitled players who can't be bothered to compete, to an incompetent boob our genius owner ushered in from another organization just before he was set to retire on his golden pension, to the scouting staff shitting out turd picks, to an obstinate coaching staff that has seemingly forgotten how to coach.. how the f*** do you course correct all that shit now? In a nascent start to the season, where you'll end up having to retool mid stride and eat up the time that you do not have, to make up for the garbage start in the first f***ing place?

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
It's now or never to start playing like the team we know they are capable of and rattle off a bunch of wins to get back to .500. It's a long season so I'm not worried or anything but I have been frustrated with Woody and his stupid experimenting early on which clearly messed up the team in every way and now they have to dig themselves out of it. Oh well you know what they say, overcoming adversity and all that garbage. lol

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
It’s gonna be Malone or Erne which is fine as Woody will only give them 4-5 minutes of ice time anyways as it’s 11-6 tomorrow. Rather have one of them rotting on the bench than Lavoie.

giphy.gif

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
We play the Sharks next Thursday. I am not suggesting for this to happen so everyone chill
If a loss to the Sharks were to happen, would this be the low point of the season and the white flag flown?

On his way

Shizuka

Mar 16, 2002
In purgatory
Give the guy reasonable minutes. Don't spoon feed him 5-7 minutes, because in that case it would be better to leave him on the farm getting big minutes and increased responsibility. It's weird because Woodcroft worked down in Bakersfield and knows the teaching process of developing a generation of players that hopefully end up contributing meaningfully at the NHL.

And yet here he is leaning heavily on veterans that frankly have not brought enough, giving them free passes to f*** up constantly, while coming down hard on rookies or players still learning, and crippling their confidence. Clearly pressure is on to perform and get wins, with the season already spiralling far out of control.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
I just don’t get Holland’s love for Broberg? I wish they’d just part ways with the guy and find another experienced d-man to replace him! Such a wasted pick !! :facepalm:
If he developed to take advantage of his physical skillset, it would solve a ton of problems on the Oiler's backend. Operating on wishful thinking is causing them to ignore the reality of the player himself, much like it did with Puljujarvi.

Reactions: ManByng

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site

Let’s hope Woody doesn’t staple his ass to the bench.

Exactly six days earlier on the calendar than when Kostin was recalled last year. Kostin was 6'4", 230 pound 23 years old forward in his first season of waiver eligibility after being drafted 31st overall.

Lavoie is is a 6'4", 215 pound 23 years old forward in his first season of waiver eligibility after being drafted 38th overall.

Different style players, but here's hoping he has a similar impact as Kostin did once he got into the line up. Granted it took Kostin a while before he heated up, but we certainly miss his presence in this year's lineup.

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
Constant cycle of bad D and bad goaltending taking turns collapsing on each other has finally caught up with the team, throw in injuries to McDavid and Ekholm, and voila.

It's mentally and physically exhausting to constantly have to outscore defensive mistakes and/or goaltenders who can't make a high danger save.
Yep I truly believe the players are fed up with every mistake ending up in our net regardless of how we play. Last night was a great example when it was 4-1 Dallas had 20 shots that’s 1 in every five going in. Completely unacceptable at most levels but especially in the NHL. I don’t blame the forwards for finally giving up on this bad goalie situation at all.

In saying that it’s not all on the goalies a big part has also been puck luck. I mean huge last night had a wide open net and somehow it just didn’t go in. Bouch hit 3 posts in a row and Drai couldn’t even buy a decent shot on net from his spot.

Also teams seem to have scouted us extra hard this year especially the PP. This of course was bound to happen when you have the best PP in NHL history though.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Finally had to say something as the part about the Bears is personal to me. Can 1000% confirm that he is doing things a LOT different as a coach than what he was doing as a player when he played at U of A. The technology advancements alone have changed what he does as a coach vs a player by a huuuuge margin.
Well it appears the tech isn't improving Schwartz or his goalies or instructions. I'm not clear on your post. Are you actually defending Dustin Schwartz

russ99

Jun 9, 2011
Yep I truly believe the players are fed up with every mistake ending up in our net regardless of how we play. Last night was a great example when it was 4-1 Dallas had 20 shots that’s 1 in every five going in. Completely unacceptable at most levels but especially in the NHL. I don’t blame the forwards for finally giving up on this bad goalie situation at all.

In saying that it’s not all on the goalies a big part has also been puck luck. I mean huge last night had a wide open net and somehow it just didn’t go in. Bouch hit 3 posts in a row and Drai couldn’t even buy a decent shot on net from his spot.

Also teams seem to have scouted us extra hard this year especially the PP. This of course was bound to happen when you have the best PP in NHL history though.
A bigger problem exists and I’m not sure of the fix, other than having a leader like Gagner somehow shake them out if it in meetings, cause he’s sure playing different - nobody supports nobody else all over the ice. Nobody drops back to cover for a mistake, nobody makes a tough play to set up or help out a teammate. Either players lone wolfing it or position groups not helping other position groups. Toss the puck along the wall, it’s the next guy’s problem.

“Clean it up” ain’t a fix, that implies individual player issues are to blame, when it’s a lack of a team construct.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton

If nothing else, they know they have to be a lot better

At least Kane wasn’t doing the word ballet like the coach and most of the players.

If I hear “we need to clean a few things up” one more time I’m dumping my seasons tickets and buying shares in Molly Maid because at least I’d see people who are putting in an honest days work actually cleaning things up.

Vagabond

Dec 24, 2004
Edmonton
I hope Lavoie gets at the very least 3rd line minutes. Ideally, I'd like to see him given top 6 opportunities.

Split McDrai

Nuge McDavid Lavoie
Kane Draisaitl Hyman

I'm happy to see Broberg go down to the Farm. He's struggling and not maturing at all ATM.

Hopefully Campbell gets a couple games. If he fails it's time to dramatically change things up. Whether that means waiving one or both Skinner/Campbell and bringing up Pickard or Rodrigue so be it. The goaltending situation is a major stain!

OfCorsiDid

54 goals? Must've been the money!
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
At least Kane wasn’t doing the word ballet like the coach and most of the players.

If I hear “we need to clean a few things up” one more time I’m dumping my seasons tickets and buying shares in Molly Maid because at least I’d see people who are putting in an honest days work actually cleaning things up.

And he's one of the guys that's putting his money where his mouth is.

Kane, Bouchard (I know about defensive miscues, but I think with him you kinda have to take the good with bad), and Gagner are the only ones that should be talking. the rest can f*** themselves

Mav3rick07

Jul 28, 2007
Nobody said we had to win 10 in a row to get back into the playoff picture. Just win tomorrow, take care of business and then build from there.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Hungry players trying to show something is exactly what the team needs.

I wouldn't doubt Lavoie makes an immediate impression with a goal as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad