Pokemon Thread #25 - A new Tera

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
I had a bunch of Nintendo gift cards so I got the game for almost nothing.

You basically go on a defined path at a defined pace from what I can tell and there's like a dozen or so of these paths that you unlock. You look around and take photos and they get rated. As someone who barely remembers the original Pokemon Snap... if I had paid for this game I would have regretted it. But I wasn't using my Nintendo giftcards for anything else and already had the games I wanted.

I'm not sure how difficult it is for a more experienced player who is used to the camera functions and scoring different 'out of 4 stars' but it does seem to be a bit of a challenge for someone less experienced like me. It sucks you can't get multiple photos of the same thing/pokemon rated and you have to redo the course at least 4x if you want to go for completion.

I would not pay full price for this game personally. Sure, graphically there seems to be a decent effort put in, some of the animations are good but this was what? $79.99 CAD? That just seems way too much for something that if it was not Pokemon... would have been an indie game at a much lower price on the shop.

Basically if you really loved the original Pokemon Snap I can see you liking this 'updated version'. If you were expecting something groundbreaking or evolutionary... it's just not there.

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
After playing Pokemon Snap for about 15-20 hours, I will recommend it.

It's just so chill. It's a great game to unwind and there's just so much there. For a guy who likes completing pokedexes, this game will have me coming back.

For one, after the credits [spoilers] there are 40 additional pokemon to hunt down. [/spoilers]. Then you have to get all four categories of each pokemon. Not just that, but for each category there is a scoring ranging from bronze to diamond.

Not just that, but you unlock more stuff by leveling up courses.

I'd say it's worth the price tag. It's not a game that I thought would be done in 8 hours and call it a game. I'm definitely enjoying it.

JWK

Report Spam @JWK on Twitter Plz
Mar 27, 2010
January? I have zero expectations for that game.

Excited for 4th gen remakes

wingsnut19

Apr 9, 2007
I liked what they showed of both games. The Legends game still looks a bit weird graphically, but I think it is cool to see the main team working on something that is so different. I'll probably wait for impressions to come out before buying either of them, but overall they look fun.

Reactions: LukeSkywalker

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
I liked what they showed of both games. The Legends game still looks a bit weird graphically, but I think it is cool to see the main team working on something that is so different. I'll probably wait for impressions to come out before buying either of them, but overall they look fun.

It looks like it's going for a painterly, artistic type of world and game feel. Kind of like Arena Net when they jumped from Guild Wars 1 to Guild Wars 2.

But the background/world looks almost 2D relative to the character at times which is something you see a lot of in Switch games. At the end of the day Pokemon is childhood nostalgia for me and pretty much the only single player game I'll play so I'm still interested in it despite not liking the graphical type of work.

I hope this game does well though. It seems to be trying to do a lot right - freedom of movement, roaming, exploring. That seamless transition to a wild encounter looks really good. I hope that gets fleshed out so it's not annoying to enter a battle but a smooth experience rather than your character stopping abruptly and cutscene!

Another thing (sorry catching up as I'm supposed to be working) is they're trying to spice up the combat. Turn based combat can get stale. As much as I hate Tencent and it's predatory monetization strategy, it's DOTA rip-off with Pokemon... you can see how much people want a more "free" combat situation that is not turn based.

Last edited:

wingsnut19

Apr 9, 2007
It looks like it's going for a painterly, artistic type of world and game feel. Kind of like Arena Net when they jumped from Guild Wars 1 to Guild Wars 2.

But the background/world looks almost 2D relative to the character at times which is something you see a lot of in Switch games. At the end of the day Pokemon is childhood nostalgia for me and pretty much the only single player game I'll play so I'm still interested in it despite not liking the graphical type of work.

I hope this game does well though. It seems to be trying to do a lot right - freedom of movement, roaming, exploring. That seamless transition to a wild encounter looks really good. I hope that gets fleshed out so it's not annoying to enter a battle but a smooth experience rather than your character stopping abruptly and cutscene!
It also could just feel and look better when playing it. I felt that way with the one Prince of Persia game from 2008, it had an odd art style but playing it I really enjoyed it. But yeah, I also really hope people gives this game a chance and that it does well, because I want them to start thinking outside of the box and they only way they will continue to do so is if the game sells well.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I really liked the look of Arceus and just where the franchise may be going. I don't know if I'll be getting it on day 1, but I'll 100% be picking it up at some point.

As for the Gen 4 stuff, I'll pick it up for the nostalgia of the game.

Reactions: LukeSkywalker

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
I'm REALLY not feeling it with these remakes.

I understand that there's a market for these and they'll definitely be profitable, but it's basically impossible to make these games a better Sinnoh experience than Platinum. Will still get though.

Legends Arceus, however, looks very intriguing.

Vegeta

God Dammit Nappa
May 2, 2009
Capsule Corp.
I hate the aesthetic of the remakes. Before I kind of accepted that ugly 3d Chibi look as them attempting to stay faithful to the game 1 for 1. But since they're already taking several liberties with available Pokemon, expanded features, and new areas, I don't understand why they felt so compelled to keep this antiquated look intact.

Last edited:

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Has anyone been playing Pokemon Unite? I picked it up over the weekend and am really enjoying it. Love that I can just jump in and play a game in 10-15 minutes!

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
Has anyone been playing Pokemon Unite? I picked it up over the weekend and am really enjoying it. Love that I can just jump in and play a game in 10-15 minutes!

Personally I got the MOBA bug out of my system with League of Legends over the 2009-2015 period. I guess it might be interesting to give it a go as I've never played a MOBA on a console.

I'll probably give it a go at some point if it stays strong. It's unfortunate the game is from Tencent as an aside.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I haven't really done anything with Sword and Shield in a while, and neither have a lot of others given how dead this thread has been, but I've had a trio of code pairs for the Zarude/Shiny Celebi giveaway sitting in my inbox for a couple weeks that I won't need.

So if anyone wants a pair (ie a code for each of the two pokemon) let me know. I have no idea when they expire, but usually it seems like codes likes 4-6 months in most cases.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad