Pokemon Thread #25 - A new Tera

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
The biggest thing this game has done for me is remind me how boring Sinnoh is as a region. I appreciate that there's more nooks and crannies to explore than we got in SW/SH which felt like a very linear path but I forgot most of the towns and cities outside of vague details until I replayed and I don't think this game will help me have resounding memories of the world.

Though I was never one to enjoy Gen 5 like others, at least Unova was interesting. Unpopular opinion but in spite of being a more linear environment, I think Kalos was a more memorable region too from an aesthetic perspective at least.

Alola was a nice concept but you couldn't get me to remember more than the look of the opening town and a bridge where you have a rival battle if you put a gun to my head.

The overall Galar region is already fading from my memory too since if I ever go back to Sword it's to: breed eggs, do battle tower, do online battles, or do DLC raids to chase shiny legendaries.

I still don’t understand how hard it is to include a slider/difficulty choice. Just have the default be easy but let players make it harder if they want.

Leveling has been a joke since Gen 6.

What are you talking about? This game is much harder. They killed the shiny charm and brought back random encounters! /s

I actually don't mind that feature at all.

I picked it up and started playing late Saturday night, just finished the third gym. Having never played the original, its fine. The region seems uninspired. The story feels cheesy and considering what pokemon is, that is saying a lot. I am having fun, I just don't see that there is anything to keep my attention postgame. Unless I a missing something.

By the way...

In the Flower city or w/e its called, if you played Let's Go, the guy and gal there give you a free Mew and Jirachi.

Jirachi if you have a Sword/Shield save file on your switch, Mew if you have a Let's Go save file.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gardner McKay

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Didn't end up picking this one up. Probably the first time I have not picked up a Pokemon game on day 1.

I just really wish they brought back a remake of Platinum

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Didn't end up picking this one up. Probably the first time I have not picked up a Pokemon game on day 1.

I just really wish they brought back a remake of Platinum

That's what kind of kills my buzz to press on and invest in post gaming this one. I mostly bought it because I was hoping for a more streamlined pokemon experience than SW/SH but considering how graphically scaled back it is I don't understand how there wasn't room for Platinum content and a bigger pokedex.

There isn't even alternate forms for Dialga and Palkia like in ORAS so like, how am I supposed to feel fulfilled if I already have the SWSH DLC and can do an easy dungeon run to get a guaranteed catch of both?

Though I do have to correct myself from something I said earlier. There is wonder trading and it replaced the original GTN terminal, it's just apparently not live yet.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
The biggest thing this game has done for me is remind me how boring Sinnoh is as a region. I appreciate that there's more nooks and crannies to explore than we got in SW/SH which felt like a very linear path but I forgot most of the towns and cities outside of vague details until I replayed and I don't think this game will help me have resounding memories of the world.

Though I was never one to enjoy Gen 5 like others, at least Unova was interesting. Unpopular opinion but in spite of being a more linear environment, I think Kalos was a more memorable region too from an aesthetic perspective at least.

Alola was a nice concept but you couldn't get me to remember more than the look of the opening town and a bridge where you have a rival battle if you put a gun to my head.

The overall Galar region is already fading from my memory too since if I ever go back to Sword it's to: breed eggs, do battle tower, do online battles, or do DLC raids to chase shiny legendaries.

What are you talking about? This game is much harder. They killed the shiny charm and brought back random encounters! /s

Jirachi if you have a Sword/Shield save file on your switch, Mew if you have a Let's Go save file.

This is my first time playing this game and I think the Sinnoh region is the most boring of them all. There is nothing memorable about it. Completely uninspired.

JWK

Report Spam @JWK on Twitter Plz
Mar 27, 2010
I spent way too much underground trying to get a damn fossil

I want my Cranidos, damn it

Finally got it, bitching about it on HF works!

Last edited:

wingsnut19

Apr 9, 2007
I spent way too much underground trying to get a damn fossil

I want my Cranidos, damn it

Finally got it, bitching about it on HF works!
I'm having fun with the underground just collecting items and statues, it has actually distracted me from finishing the game. I think I'm still only at 4 badges.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I really didn't plan my party well. I'm getting absolutely trashed by by the elite four.

Everyone has earthquake

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
If you had to rank every Switch Pokemon release including non-main-line games how would your list look?

I think Mystery Dungeon and Unite would be my 1 2 which is probably a hot take (maybe not though...?)

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I was screwing around practicing poke radar chaining, since I gave up on trying in the DS days. I got a shiny Starly in 11 chains without even realizing it.

No shiny patch, sunset in the game so I couldn't tell it was shiny, didn't notice the sparks, just randomly caught it to keep the chain going.

Reactions: wingsnut19

wingsnut19

Apr 9, 2007
First time I successfully used Pokeradar and it was to get 2 shiny Beldum, which I'm pretty excited about. One of my favourite shinies and I feel like one of the harder chains to accomplish in this game, and I didn't even break a single chain. Such an awesome Pokemon.

wingsnut19

Apr 9, 2007
I was screwing around practicing poke radar chaining, since I gave up on trying in the DS days. I got a shiny Starly in 11 chains without even realizing it.

No shiny patch, sunset in the game so I couldn't tell it was shiny, didn't notice the sparks, just randomly caught it to keep the chain going.
I had heard that this is possible, seems weird that the shiny patch doesn't show. But congrats anyway! Staraptor is one of my favourite Sinnoh Pokemon.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I had heard that this is possible, seems weird that the shiny patch doesn't show. But congrats anyway! Staraptor is one of my favourite Sinnoh Pokemon.
Same. But for some reason I ended up skipping catching/raising one through my league playthrough. Also I checked after posting, it wasn't 11 chains, it was 7...not usually that lucky.

wingsnut19

Apr 9, 2007
Same. But for some reason I ended up skipping catching/raising one through my league playthrough. Also I checked after posting, it wasn't 11 chains, it was 7...not usually that lucky.
Nice, I only got my Beldum after getting to a 40 chain.

If the shiny patch didn't show, does that mean it was a full odds shiny regardless of if it was part of a chain?

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Nice, I only got my Beldum after getting to a 40 chain.

If the shiny patch didn't show, does that mean it was a full odds shiny regardless of if it was part of a chain?
I would think it means full odds shiny. Plus it was under ten chains so I'm pretty sure the odds were unaffected at that point. I'll try some different shinies another time.

wingsnut19

Apr 9, 2007
I would think it means full odds shiny. Plus it was under ten chains so I'm pretty sure the odds were unaffected at that point. I'll try some different shinies another time.
If it was at 7, the chain shiny odds are 1/2849, but I think that since the patch didn't shine, then it wasn't a chain shiny? I'm not certain about that, it's an odd situation.

Think I'm going to go for Togepi next.

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
The gen 4 games were the first video games I ever seriously grinded, I put hundreds of hours into both Diamond and Platinum as a kid. I'm a few hours into Brilliant Diamond and it honestly just makes me want to go back and replay Platinum lol. It's like they took all the things I dislike about the modern Pokemon games and put them into gen 4 without the cool upgrades we got with the previous remakes. It's a fine enough game and maybe it'll get better as I get deeper into it but right now it just feels like a massive missed opportunity.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
The gen 4 games were the first video games I ever seriously grinded, I put hundreds of hours into both Diamond and Platinum as a kid. I'm a few hours into Brilliant Diamond and it honestly just makes me want to go back and replay Platinum lol. It's like they took all the things I dislike about the modern Pokemon games and put them into gen 4 without the cool upgrades we got with the previous remakes. It's a fine enough game and maybe it'll get better as I get deeper into it but right now it just feels like a massive missed opportunity.
Nope. I've been poke radar chaining here and there but without more incentive to postgame, I can just go back to SW/SH where I have competitively bred and a healthy collection of shiny pokemon I can keep building on. The reversion to a more classically styled map was nice but Sinnoh is just so boring. Pokemon contests are worse in Gen 4 than in Gen 3. Battle Tower instead of Frontier was a swing and a miss. The multiplayer component is laughably pointless. Grand Underground is a neat concept but there isn't much down there in the postgame I can't already get in SW/SH, and nerfing the shiny charm completely disincentivizes any urge to go out and catch/trade for everything.

To be honest, the 60 dollar price point is just way too much for the game having such an empty postgame experience. Alpha Sapphire and Omega Ruby may have had its issues, but I had much more fun playing it than this.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mikeaveli

Dion TheFluff

Jun 22, 2015
Fairly disappointed with the remakes TBH. I never even played 4th gen so I was pretty excited to experience a new (to me!) region but the everything from the region layout to the plot (even for pokemon standards) is very meh for me.

Fingers Crossed that Legends Arceus hits it out of the park

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Fairly disappointed with the remakes TBH. I never even played 4th gen so I was pretty excited to experience a new (to me!) region but the everything from the region layout to the plot (even for pokemon standards) is very meh for me.

Fingers Crossed that Legends Arceus hits it out of the park

Yeah. Super disappointed by the last remake. Easily the least memorable pokemon game I have ever played. Not sure why they decided to waste any time remaking these.

It isn't a bad game. It is just unbelievably... meh.

Dion TheFluff

Jun 22, 2015
Yeah. Super disappointed by the last remake. Easily the least memorable pokemon game I have ever played. Not sure why they decided to waste any time remaking these.

It isn't a bad game. It is just unbelievably... meh.
I'm currently in the midst of a nuzlocke but that's not even enough to counteract the new EXP share. Yup just to easy and very meh. I'm not even sure if I'm gonna finish it TBH.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
The forced hand-holding was the reason I dumped pokemon.

Pokemon (at least in its unhacked, vanilla form) has never been difficult. Even as a kid I rarely had trouble beating the first 4 generations but it was enough of a game to keep my brain functioning.

Skipped gen 5 and then when I came back for 6 I was almost insulted by how much more dumbed down it was. Kids aren't drooling idiots, game freak. They don't need shit like forced exp share or the lame "this pokemon wuvs you so much it was able to hang on with 1 HP!" Crap they introduced. Bought gen 8 on a whim during the early stages of the pandemic and hated that even more.

That's also precisely the reason I stayed away from these remakes as well. Gen 4 was the last generation of pokemon I truly liked but I kinda figured they'd add all the garbage from the newer games too. That and iirc 4's end game is basically "idk go catch pokemon or something"

Reactions: Dion TheFluff

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Pokémon Rom Hacks/Fan Games are where it’s at. It’s crazy what people have created, often with better regions, stories and occasionally Pokémon than official games.

Reactions: Gardner McKay

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad