Pokemon Thread #25 - A new Tera

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
I'm glad they're advertising the crap out of Arceus because it makes me think this is part of a bigger shift in the titles they put out.

I know people were freaking out about it not being open world but I don't care. One of my favorite 'mmo' RPGs ever is Guild Wars 1 and it did something very similar. Zones where you walked through portals and loaded the next zone. Still one of my favorite games of all time.

Reactions: robertmac43

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I'm. Not likely to get one of the games until Christmas. It's the first time since... Probably the original diamond/pearl that I haven't had one or both versions on or around release day.

I have yet to finish sword/shield or even ultra sun/moon.

The other thing that's holding me back is that I disliked the "new direction" they took with pokemon availability by restricting how many species were playable in sword/shield. Not how many were catchable, but the fact that certain species just weren't importable from Bank/Home because they weren't programmed into the game and the claim that this would be the new normal moving forward, constantly rotating the availability pool to always include some mons but not others.

I haven't seen a list yet that details how many of the full series national Dex worth of mons are playable in the game. Is there one?

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I'm. Not likely to get one of the games until Christmas. It's the first time since... Probably the original diamond/pearl that I haven't had one or both versions on or around release day.

I have yet to finish sword/shield or even ultra sun/moon.

The other thing that's holding me back is that I disliked the "new direction" they took with pokemon availability by restricting how many species were playable in sword/shield. Not how many were catchable, but the fact that certain species just weren't importable from Bank/Home because they weren't programmed into the game and the claim that this would be the new normal moving forward, constantly rotating the availability pool to always include some mons but not others.

I haven't seen a list yet that details how many of the full series national Dex worth of mons are playable in the game. Is there one?
From what I understand
everything from Gen 1-4. Which is pretty annoying to me. I thought scaling the game back graphically would mean more room for a fuller Dex.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Has anyone played Brilliant Diamond or Shining Pearl yet?
I've played up to entering the city with the second gym.

So far I appreciate the return to the top down style. The chibi art doesn't bother me but it doesn't do anything special for me either. That said though, scaling back from a full 360 degree environment I expected more from the overworld. The flower field where I think you get Shaymin (I only played Pearl and Platinum back when they came out, it's been a while) has floating flower petals which was cool but past that the overworld is pretty bland. Aesthetically, everything is modeled well but they didn't do any kind of extra mile work.

Where I have the most issues right now is their insistence on being incredibly faithful to Diamond and Pearl. To the extent that the promise to remain faithful is used as an excuse to not do the work to implement more modern game features. This means no GTN, no random or ranked battling over the internet, no wonder trade. They just revamped the union room where as far as I can tell, all you're allowed to do is run around and request a trade or battle. So it's not like it's nothing but being "faithful" to the originals seems like a convenient excuse for laziness. I also hear there's no battle frontier or distortion world cause those were Platinum features. So again, abject laziness. HG/SS implemented Crystal features with no issue.

The music is good and battles feel like they're in 60 fps so. I don't know. I don't mind a more streamlined and traditional experience, but this is shaping up to be the weakest remake game yet. Maybe they'll do DLCs with expanded Dex and the platinum features but that would be scummy.

Reactions: LT

JWK

Report Spam @JWK on Twitter Plz
Mar 27, 2010
I've played up to entering the city with the second gym.

So far I appreciate the return to the top down style. The chibi art doesn't bother me but it doesn't do anything special for me either. That said though, scaling back from a full 360 degree environment I expected more from the overworld. The flower field where I think you get Shaymin (I only played Pearl and Platinum back when they came out, it's been a while) has floating flower petals which was cool but past that the overworld is pretty bland. Aesthetically, everything is modeled well but they didn't do any kind of extra mile work.

Where I have the most issues right now is their insistence on being incredibly faithful to Diamond and Pearl. To the extent that the promise to remain faithful is used as an excuse to not do the work to implement more modern game features. This means no GTN, no random or ranked battling over the internet, no wonder trade. They just revamped the union room where as far as I can tell, all you're allowed to do is run around and request a trade or battle. So it's not like it's nothing but being "faithful" to the originals seems like a convenient excuse for laziness. I also hear there's no battle frontier or distortion world cause those were Platinum features. So again, abject laziness. HG/SS implemented Crystal features with no issue.

The music is good and battles feel like they're in 60 fps so. I don't know. I don't mind a more streamlined and traditional experience, but this is shaping up to be the weakest remake game yet. Maybe they'll do DLCs with expanded Dex and the platinum features but that would be scummy.
If I'm being honest, that's how Pokemon games have been in the last 2~3 gens.

I got Diamond, since I liked the exclusives better there. I haven't been paying attention to this game in the past couple of months so if there's something new, it'll be the first time I get to experience it so I'm hoping for some nice surprises.

I hate how stiff your character feels when running

Last edited:

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
If I'm being honest, that's how Pokemon games have been in the last 2~3 gens.

I got Diamond, since I liked the exclusives better there. I haven't been paying attention to this game in the past couple of months so if there's something new, it'll be the first time I get to experience it so I'm hoping for some nice surprises.

I hate how stiff your character feels when running
Yeah that's a big yikes to me. It's so annoying watching your character slow down cause of corners. It blows my mind that the devs playtested and thought "working as intended"

wingsnut19

Apr 9, 2007
The grand underground is actually quite a lot of fun, but I'm not sure that it'll keep my interest for very long. Really don't understand why they decided to make the shiny charm not impact wild encounters, that really bothers me. Basically the only good ways to shiny hunt in this one is the pokeradar and masuda method.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
The grand underground is actually quite a lot of fun, but I'm not sure that it'll keep my interest for very long. Really don't understand why they decided to make the shiny charm not impact wild encounters, that really bothers me. Basically the only good ways to shiny hunt in this one is the pokeradar and masuda method.
Hahaha I just looked that up to see what you were talking about. Lot of really questionable decisions with this game.

wingsnut19

Apr 9, 2007
Hahaha I just looked that up to see what you were talking about. Lot of really questionable decisions with this game.
People keep talking like it is just miscoded and that maybe it'll be fixed in a patch, but it feels like a purposeful decision to me. I doubt it is something that will be changed.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
People keep talking like it is just miscoded and that maybe it'll be fixed in a patch, but it feels like a purposeful decision to me. I doubt it is something that will be changed.
Yeah my sense too. "Oh you want shinies? Go chain or do the diglett underground method which would take you forever just to start"

wingsnut19

Apr 9, 2007
Yeah my sense too. "Oh you want shinies? Go chain or do the diglett underground method which would take you forever just to start"
Yeah, the diglett undergound method doesn't really seem worth the effort. If it made it 1/500 or something, then maybe it would, but it's still something like 1/2000. Don't think I'll bother with it.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Yeah, the diglett undergound method doesn't really seem worth the effort. If it made it 1/500 or something, then maybe it would, but it's still something like 1/2000. Don't think I'll bother with it.
Like I was in the underground for an hour and I think I maybe picked up 25 diglett energy. To find the rest and then go shiny hunting would mean doing a ton of encounters including re-entering rooms to trigger a new set of encounters (I think, I don't know what happens when you clear a hideaway). Not worth it at all.

wingsnut19

Apr 9, 2007
Like I was in the underground for an hour and I think I maybe picked up 25 diglett energy. To find the rest and then go shiny hunting would mean doing a ton of encounters including re-entering rooms to trigger a new set of encounters (I think, I don't know what happens when you clear a hideaway). Not worth it at all.
It does go quite a bit quicker if you connect to other players to do it. I think the youtuber aDrive is using the code 15300000 for his viewers if you want to connect to people. But really I only find it worth it if you're trying to hunt the special statues in the digging mini game.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
I still despise having exp share
I actually don't mind that feature at all.

I picked it up and started playing late Saturday night, just finished the third gym. Having never played the original, its fine. The region seems uninspired. The story feels cheesy and considering what pokemon is, that is saying a lot. I am having fun, I just don't see that there is anything to keep my attention postgame. Unless I a missing something.

By the way...

In the Flower city or w/e its called, if you played Let's Go, the guy and gal there give you a free Mew and Jirachi.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
I personally don't have a problem with the modern Exp Share mechanics, but I will admit that the lack of a toggle in the options menu is a major headscratcher.

I still don’t understand how hard it is to include a slider/difficulty choice. Just have the default be easy but let players make it harder if they want.

Leveling has been a joke since Gen 6.

Reactions: robertmac43 and JWK

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad