Pokemon Thread #22 - Vacationing in Alola

Status
Not open for further replies.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Breeding for Pikipeks and they're all 5 IVs which is great but I've had like 10 birds that are either missing Speed or Attack. Le sigh.

Tapu Coco

Jan 23, 2013
WNY
How the hell do you add people in festival plaza? Is it just totally random that people in my friends list show up and I add them as vips?

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
This Type null SR is kinda drivin me insane.

Ive been doing it pretty much non stop for a day now, still on it.

Thinking I have 450 srs done already.

SubyDubyTML

May 13, 2013
Haven't played pokemon in ages and I decided to buy Pokémon Sun. When I played, I never played with natures, breeding, IV's, shinies, etc. Is there a site that explains all this or would someone be able to help?
This might be a steep learning curve, haha

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Haven't played pokemon in ages and I decided to buy Pokémon Sun. When I played, I never played with natures, breeding, IV's, shinies, etc. Is there a site that explains all this or would someone be able to help?
This might be a steep learning curve, haha

Natures, IVs, EVs and Hiddem abilities or even abities are for competitive play mostly, if you want to get in that theres plenty of resources that can help and we can help also.

Natures are stat boosting. Basically you want one nature that will boost a stat that you need and at the cost of lowering another you dont need or have less use for.

Example of this is a physical attacker going for Adamant, which is +atk -special attack.

You can look at those by just typing pokemon nature in bulbapedia.

Theres also neutral nature that give no boost and lowet no stats, these are rarely used but could still be used.

IVs are basically the ultimate potential of your pokemon. Ivs range from 0 to 31, with 31 being the highest stats you can have. The stat distribution varies from pokemon to pokemon. Basically lets say a pokemon with a base 100 speed with 0 IV will be significantly slower than one with 31 IV. A pkmn with a base speed of 95 and 31 IV could be faster than a pokemon with a higher base speed with lower IVs. (And this is for all stats.) You want perfect IVs in as many stats as you are gonna use. Usually going with 4 perfect IVs in HP def special defense and speed PLUS the attack you are going to use (referred to as 5Ivs). Some mixed attackers( spa and atk together... Lets say ice beam and waterfall, ice beam being special and waterfall being physical) will require 6 perfect ivs (referred to as 6IVs). Theres also pokemon that will require different IV spread like trick room users (0 IV in speed) but lets leave it at that for now. These cannot be changed on your pokemon. When you catch him or hatch, they are like this forever, but can be altered using a new game mechanic in SuMo called bottlecaps. We often giveaway pokemons we call breedjects around here, so if you wanna get in competitive play, stick around with us.

Keep in mind competitive strategies are a lot different than in game strategies of just plowing through a team with an overleveled pokemon.

Abilities are another thing to look for, as some are the bread and butter of some pokemon (IE Mega Khangaskhan Parental bond).

Most pokemons have more than one ability and taking the right one is crucial. Some are hidden, meaning you will need to get it from someone or to chain SOS calls to get it. (More info on that on google or ask if you ever wanna know.)

Shinies are just another color of pokemon sprite. Doesnt give you anythinh but a different color on your pokemon. Some are obvious and really cool, others are just slight color changes. Theres a very low chance of getting one. Though some things can prop up the chances. The shiny charm, which is given to you after completing the full pokedex up the chances to 1 on 500ish if I recall correctly from 1 on 1500 ish. Sos call chaining also up the chances and masuda method also. (Masuda is breeding two pokemon of different languages together to achieve greater odds of getting a shiny.)

I covered it all really fast, but first and foremost I believe you should enjoy the story before caring about any of these.

Obviously, if you want to get into competitive play you might want to soft reset legendaries (solgaleo, tapus, lunala, type null, zygarde, etc) for natures. If you dont wanna get in it, then just follow through and enjoy the game as is.

JS19

Legends Never Die
Aug 14, 2009
The Shark Tank
I appreciate Type Nulls design a lot more since I know its actually a helmet he has on.

I'm the opposite. I thought Type:Null's design was interesting, but they didn't really expand on the lore behind it having a Chimera design. Moreover, Silvally seems so lazily designed that I struggle to call it an "evolution" simply because Type:Null's helmet broke.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Randomly did an Emerald Nuzlocke today and failed during my Brawly battle. I mean he wiped everyone.

Tailow, Dustox, Mudkip, and Marill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad