News: Poile on the Preds: "Some players aren't going to be brought back. ... We're not satisfied."

Galaxydoggystyle

Jul 4, 2019
I swear to God the only thing Montreal fans like to talk about is Drouin and Domi's worth and how they're going to f*** over the Preds on the recapture in a trade.
No one said anything about "f***ing over the preds" on the recapture the person I was talking to said the Preds won the Subban trade I just gave him my point of view on what could likely happen about the Preds sending assets back to the Habs so they aren't dinged for 7.8m for the last 3 years of Webers contract. There was absolutely NO f***ing talk about WHAT assets were coming back.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Just because you flipped Subban to another team doesn't mean you won the Subban trade. Weber is still an elite number 1 and you guys still have to worry about the recapture penalty when he retires even if it isn't that huge 20m+ cap hit you guys are going to get dinged for 7.8m in recapture. If you go the route of trading for Weber that means you are sending assets back to us so again yes you may have gotten assets from Subban but you will be losing assets IF you trade back for Weber. I just don't see Weber playing for 1m a season.

:facepalm: We had our three best years in franchise history thanks to the Subban deal.

What if he, and hear me out here, finishes his contract :eek:, then we won't have to worry about a recapture penalty.

I really doubt we'd move a significant asset to get Weber back to LTIR him anyway.

Reactions: Viqsi

Galaxydoggystyle

Jul 4, 2019
:facepalm: We had our three best years in franchise history thanks to the Subban deal.

What if he, and hear me out here, finishes his contract :eek:, then we won't have to worry about a recapture penalty.
You seriously think Weber is going to play the last 3 years of his contract making 1m a season?

edit

If Weber does play the last 3 years of his contract he will be playing from the age of 39 to 41 yeah I don't think the chances of that happening is high not saying he wont but the chances of him playing at that age are pretty slim.

TopTenPlayz

Jun 6, 2014
Ok...but why? Can you expand? We literally had our three most successful seasons in franchise history because of this trade and Subban was even nominated for Norris, although I think it was more based on name recognition because I thought Josi was better but I digress.

Subban's play was so bad that a rookie Fabbro had an identical stat line to Subban until February when he started slowing down, which is common for a rookie. Should we have kept him?

The deal isn't as cut and dry that you can say "Well...Weber's still playing at an elite level and Subban sucks so you lost" Yeah, Subban sucks but we moved him after we got all our use out of him and we used him to restock our prospect pool.

Yes, but they all made sense at the time.

Uh yeah, that's why we moved Subban without retaining anything when he regressed so bad.
:laugh: If you don't think we got any "good futures" then I suggest you familiarize yourself with Afanasyev. Also the high NJ pick this year gives us a lot of leverage to move up into the first again.

And what happens if Duchene returns to 60-70 point form when we get rid of the waste of skates that are Granlund and Turris? Does that change your mind?

You do realize that Santini was a throw in right? Like we had to take him back so that NJ would take the full Subban contract right?

Johansen, RNH and Draisaitl were the only options we had when we were moving Jones. And while it's obvious in hindsight that we should have taken Draisaitl he was coming off a pitiful 9 point rookie season and everybody was talking about how Edmonton ruined yet another high pick. We gambled and made it to within 2 wins of the cup.
We always knew we were going to lose the Jones trade but it was necessary as we don't get the same return if we traded Ellis and we wouldn't have the defensive depth if we moved Weber. We had to get a number one center.

Uh yeah, that's why we moved him without retention for futures. The trade has moved on beyond what Subban does on his future team and what Weber continues to do for Montreal.

Again, we don't make the finals, win the Presidents trophy or win our division without Johansen and Subban.
Yes, we could have Weber, Josi and Jones right now! Great, who's playing center again?

Nsh was already a good team prior to Subban coming. In Subban's first year there, they underachieved in the reg season and went on an amazing run all the way to the finals. Then, the next year, they bowed out to a better Winnipeg team in the 2nd round and got beat easily by Dallas in 2018-2019. That's the year that Subban inexplicably regressed to a point that he got dealt for a very modest return. This year, Subban seemed to have hit rock bottom (hopefully he'll bounce back) and is nowhere close to Weber's caliber and Nsh didn't even make the playoffs (even with Duchene).

I don't want to start the argument of who was better (between Subban or Weber) from 2016-2018. Most people would say Subban because Nsh made it to the finals and Subban was nominated for a Norris. But the facts are that Nsh had a much better team than Mtl (even before Subban coming to Nsh) and Subban got to play with Ekholm (or Josi) whereas Weber played with plugs; Beaulieu, Emelin, Mete, Kulak, Benn most of the time. As for the Jones - Johansen trade, I don't even need to explain as Poile completely got robbed there.

Your argument of Poile winning both Subban trades and the Johansen-Jones trade because they were necessary for providing an organization's needs that allowed the team to reach the finals ONCE is distorted and shortsighted. Hypothetically, we don't know what would happen if Nsh had kept Jones and Weber. They might have gone to the finals as well or won the cup altogether. Or maybe Poile should have dealt Ellis or Ekholm instead? Or he should have gotten better returns for Jones and Weber? You can twist and turn around the details all you want but the argument is this: Jones and Weber have proven to be superior players than Johansen and Subban (especially Jones vs Johansen) so for that reason, Poile lost those trades.

It's like Tor getting desperate and trades Marner for Mr. RD. Then, the Leafs get newfound energy/motivation for a year and reached the finals and loses and everything goes downhill in the following years. Then, in those years, Mr. RD's play falls off a cliff and Tor trades him for peanuts to free up money to sign a Mr. Positions Need. Throughout this entire time, Marner continues to be a rock on his team. So how did Tor fare in the initial trade? Did they do well or should they have kept Marner? Or perhaps trade him for a better player than Mr. RD that will help them being a good team for a longer period?

GoldOnGold

Mar 27, 2016
Nashville, Tennessee
Nsh was already a good team prior to Subban coming. In Subban's first year there, they underachieved in the reg season and went on an amazing run all the way to the finals. Then, the next year, they bowed out to a better Winnipeg team in the 2nd round and got beat easily by Dallas in 2018-2019. That's the year that Subban inexplicably regressed to a point that he got dealt for a very modest return. This year, Subban seemed to have hit rock bottom (hopefully he'll bounce back) and is nowhere close to Weber's caliber and Nsh didn't even make the playoffs (even with Duchene).

I don't want to start the argument of who was better (between Subban or Weber) from 2016-2018. Most people would say Subban because Nsh made it to the finals and Subban was nominated for a Norris. But the facts are that Nsh had a much better team than Mtl (even before Subban coming to Nsh) and Subban got to play with Ekholm (or Josi) whereas Weber played with plugs; Beaulieu, Emelin, Mete, Kulak, Benn most of the time. As for the Jones - Johansen trade, I don't even need to explain as Poile completely got robbed there.

Your argument of Poile winning both Subban trades and the Johansen-Jones trade because they were necessary for providing an organization's needs that allowed the team to reach the finals ONCE is distorted and shortsighted. Hypothetically, we don't know what would happen if Nsh had kept Jones and Weber. They might have gone to the finals as well or won the cup altogether. Or maybe Poile should have dealt Ellis or Ekholm instead? Or he should have gotten better returns for Jones and Weber? You can twist and turn around the details all you want but the argument is this: Jones and Weber have proven to be superior players than Johansen and Subban (especially Jones vs Johansen) so for that reason, Poile lost those trades.

It's like Tor getting desperate and trades Marner for Mr. RD. Then, the Leafs get newfound energy/motivation for a year and reached the finals and loses and everything goes downhill in the following years. Then, in those years, Mr. RD's play falls off a cliff and Tor trades him for peanuts to free up money to sign a Mr. Positions Need. Throughout this entire time, Marner continues to be a rock on his team. So how did Tor fare in the initial trade? Did they do well or should they have kept Marner? Or perhaps trade him for a better player than Mr. RD that will help them being a good team for a longer period?

You fail to mention that we won the President's Trophy in 2017-2018, and Subban was a big part of it. That was the year he was 3rd in Norris voting, and guess what? He played with Emelin for ~50 games that year and still was amazing.

Reactions: JustaFinnishGuy

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I think poile has to retain on Turris’s contract and not take on another Bad contract. Turris at 4 million isn’t bad and if a team like buffalo needs a stopgap at 2c until cozen is ready I can see them taking a chance on him maybe. I get preds fans don’t want to get rid of Bonino but if I’m poile I’m trading him as well. His value has to be high with him scoring 18 goals last year so you can get a higher pick for the rebuild if it happens soon. Sissons is unfortunately locked up for along time and he has the ability to play 3c so losing bones would be a hard pill to swallow but we have a cheaper replacement in sissons. Granlund and smith and Weber shouldn’t be brought back. I would even go as far as seeing what you can get for Ellis or Ekholm. Not that I want to see one go but if we can get younger I would be okay with it. Maybe poile could offer sheet Cernak from Tampa. Josi could benefit playing with a more physical big body.

This is team has been stale for awhile now and I believe major changes is the right step. See what transpires from a couple of big moves to get younger if their is no improvement make a couple more until you’re in a full rebuild. The fact that preds have been a playoff team for so long has kept us from getting those elite players early in the draft. I get why you needed to keep reloading to stay relevant in the early years to build the fan base but I think hockey is big enough now in Nashville that it can maybe have a few bad years (hopefully) to get some elite players.
Just on the moving Bonino part... I'm going to guess that the best deal they would get for him would be at the trade deadline. Teams are going to struggle in the off-season to meet their cap limits, especially the types of teams that would probably be most interested in Bonino. So I think it makes sense for the Preds to just bide their time a little with him. First, to see if whatever other moves Poile makes can snap the team out of the tailspin and back to a competitive level, in which case Bonino is a perfect player to keep with the team. Or, failing that, to sell him for a higher futures return at the deadline.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
I swear to God the only thing Montreal fans like to talk about is Drouin and Domi's worth and how they're going to f*** over the Preds on the recapture in a trade.

Most Montreal fans don't think they're going to screw over the Preds over recapture, so much as they recognize that Montreal isn't going to get dinged for cap recapture, expect Nashville would want to take steps to avoid cap recapture and don't buy the conspiracy theory that Poile has an understanding to make the cap recapture concerns disappear.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN

Ok, but we've already moved on from Subban, so whatever he does now is irrelevant for us. Afanysev had a great season and with NJ's pick we'll have three in the top 45. We have to get a youth movement going and the NJ was great for that and there's still hope that Duchene will rebound with better line mates, I mean he had a .75PPG or better for most of the year with complete shit line mates.

I never said we won the Johansen trade, I'm pretty sure every single Nashville fan has said we lost that trade handily since the day it was made, but it was necessary to advance our team, even for only a few seasons. We seriously hadn't had a center of his quality since Arnott and even then he was old and slow, for all the grief that he rightly gets Johansen is probably the best center in our franchise history.

If we dealt Ekholm or Ellis we likely don't get a center as good as Johansen and if we did he'd most likely be a prospect a few years away from doing anything for us. Poile made these moves to contend in the window we had, now that all of our core is 25-30+ it looks like the window is closing, but that was the premise to all of them and we nearly pulled it off. That's sports though.

In regards to Weber being currently better I think at some point there's only so much a player can do with one team and I think Weber hit that point with Nashville. We saw the best and worst of Weber here so we knew what he can do but we weren't getting better with him and for a brief period our team was energized by the change.

Considering Toronto hasn't made the finals in how long? Yes It's like the Iginla trade, do you think Dallas regrets trading a franchise player looking back in hindsight? No, because they won the cup, the run to the finals was the most exciting thing for the city and fans of Nashville and in this hypothetical would be the greatest season for Toronto in many of their fans' lives.

Subban wasn't traded for garbage, those 2nds were high and Davies was one of New Jersey's top ten prospects, we weren't going to get a 1st without retaining any of his contract but we got two picks that might as well have been low 1sts. For a team that looks like it'll need a retool or even a rebuild soon that's valuable.

I get what you mean, but in we had our most successful seasons with Subban than with Weber and Jones or the player we hypothetically deal Ekholm or Ellis for would probably not be as effective as Johansen was for that run. Yes, we could have won the cup with Weber as no.1D and Jones getting 12 minutes a night and absolutely nobody as our first or second center but we did actually make the finals with Johansen and Subban playing critical roles.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Okay Ryan Johansen is a decent player, but he shouldn't have cost Seth Jones to get lol.
The Jackets weren't going to trade the (up to that point) only #1C ever in franchise history for anything short of a #1D. And when the trade was made, Jones was doing okay as a bottom-4 guy but the rest was mostly potential and he was stalling a bit in his development; he skyrocketed back upward after arriving in Columbus.

Everybody knew it was likely to look bad for Nashville long-term; the first few years after the trade were the big focus for Nashville. And in that period, Nashville won the President's Trophy and went to the Cup finals for the first time in franchise history.

I still count it as a win-win for both my teams.

* * *​
Waitaminute! Yannick Weber's still in the NHL? I was sure Carey Price's brother-in-law had gone back to Switzerland years ago. So do they just keep him to fool gullible Tennessee hockey fans that Shea's still a Pred?
It's more of a statement of just how horrifying the state of the Preds' defense depth is. We're like the blueline answer to the Oilers - everybody keeps seeing the big awesome names at the top and so they don't look past those and discover the nameless eldritch horrors beyond.

Reactions: RedMenace

MrEctions

Willy Nilly
Apr 24, 2007
Clinton, Ny
Can the Rangers have one Arvidsson, please? Pretty please?

No real need for him, hes just one of my favorites to watch. Kinda like Anderson out of Columbus.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Can the Rangers have one Arvidsson, please? Pretty please?

No real need for him, hes just one of my favorites to watch. Kinda like Anderson out of Columbus.

Not without a big gun coming back.
He's not a problem at all so we have no reason to move him, he makes 4M and he just scored 3 goals in 4 games after coming back from injury.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad