News: Poile on the Preds: "Some players aren't going to be brought back. ... We're not satisfied."

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
I missed his Conn Smythe. What year did Preds win Cup?

The season we went to the finals he would have been our Smythe nominee, he dominated. You should go back and rewatch.

LMAO wait what?

Which ones

Edit: I even forget he traded away Girard, SMH!!

Both Weber trades? We traded for Subban then we went to the Finals, won the Presidents and then won our division and then when he declined HARD we dealt him for some good futures without retaining any salary.

We won both of those trades handily.

And yes, we traded Sam Girard, who would still be on our 3rd pairing for a guy we thought would be our no.2 center. It was worth the gamble but it didn't pay off.

is a 39 assist season really worth mentioning here? He had 54 points that season. That hurts your argument, it doesn't help it.

That year of Forsberg's was injured, kinda like how his numbers dipped when Arvidsson injured his knee this year :badidea:, he made up for it by putting up 14 in 13 playoff games.

Again, he has flaws, but he's only overpaid by a million or two.

Last edited:

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
Assuming Nashville is not going to resign Granlund or Smith the Preds are going to have some holes to fill at forward.

Polie should try to trade Turris for a winger probably around the same cap hit. Nashville could also use some toughness on the vacant wing spots left by Granlund and Smith.

Eeli Tolvanen should challenge for a full time spot in Nashville’s lineup next season. Polie needs to start drafting better as well.

Reactions: GeauxPreds1

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
Polie needs to start drafting better as well.

When he's actually had draft picks, it hasn't been a problem. The problem is he trades draft picks for players that never really help. In 2018 we didn't have a draft pick until the 4th round. He got Tolvanen at the end of the 1st in 2017 and David Farrance in the 3rd round. He got Fabbro and Girard in the 1st and 2nd round in 2016 and also got possible NHL players in Rem Pitlick and Frederic Allard in the 3rd and 4th. Didn't have a 1st in 2015 but got Yakov Trenin he looks like at minimum a tough to play against 3rd line center in the 2nd and should've played in the series against the Coyotes. He got Fiala in the 1st and Arvidsson in the 4th in 2014.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Assuming Nashville is not going to resign Granlund or Smith the Preds are going to have some holes to fill at forward.

Polie should try to trade Turris for a winger probably around the same cap hit. Nashville could also use some toughness on the vacant wing spots left by Granlund and Smith.

Eeli Tolvanen should challenge for a full time spot in Nashville’s lineup next season. Polie needs to start drafting better as well.

He's said that Trenin, Pitlick, Tolvanen and Tomasino may all see time next year at forward.

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
When he's actually had draft picks, it hasn't been a problem. The problem is he trades draft picks for players that never really help. In 2018 we didn't have a draft pick until the 4th round. He got Tolvanen at the end of the 1st in 2017 and David Farrance in the 3rd round. He got Fabbro and Girard in the 1st and 2nd round in 2016 and also got possible NHL players in Rem Pitlick and Frederic Allard in the 3rd and 4th. Didn't have a 1st in 2015 but got Yakov Trenin he looks like at minimum a tough to play against 3rd line center in the 2nd and should've played in the series against the Coyotes. He got Fiala in the 1st and Arvidsson in the 4th in 2014.
I would expect prospects like Tolvanen, Trenin and Pitlick to start challenging for spots in Nashville’s lineup if they don’t produce and prove their worth in the Preds lineup it could be tough for the next couple of seasons.
I believe prospects like Farrance, Mismash and Tomasino need a season or two in the minors to develop.
The rest of the prospects are even further out in developing so I won’t mention them.

Allard might be suited for a 7-8 spot or career AHL recall player but quite honestly, I don’t believe he’ll be a reliable defenseman in Nashville’s top 6 defenders he seems like AHL lifer defender.

Also Bonino and Rinne are UFA at the end of next season and could be trade bait at the next trade deadline.
The goaltending will have to be addressed after next season, Rinne could be close to retirement after next season.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Poile put the coaching staff together and also signed the players to their deals . Maybe he should fire himself .

Turris for Neal . Would need value added to offset the extra year on Turris contract

Last edited:
Reactions: decaguard

preds1

Apr 2, 2010
TN
Poile put the coaching staff together and also signed the players to their deals . Maybe he should fire himself .
Agreed on the coach, but:

Ekholm - $3.75m long term
Arvidsson- $4.25m long term
Forsberg - $6m long term
That’s pretty good. Unfortunately, Turris was a miss.

Galaxydoggystyle

Jul 4, 2019
The season we went to the finals he would have been our Smythe nominee, he dominated. You should go back and rewatch.

Both Weber trades? We traded for Subban then we went to the Finals, won the Presidents and then won our division and then when he declined HARD we dealt him for some good futures without retaining any salary.

And yes, we traded Sam Girard, who would still be on our 3rd pairing for a guy we thought would be our no.2 center. It was worth the gamble but it didn't pay off.

That year of Forsberg's was injured, kinda like how his numbers dipped when Arvidsson injured his knee this year :badidea:, he made up for it by putting up 14 in 13 playoff games.

I don't think you won the Subban for Weber trade at all.

Reactions: BatVader

habs03

Subban #Thoroughbred
Jun 21, 2010

All those teams have turned out bad. The excuses are worst.

Subban is finished, and you did not trade him for "good futures", and while you didn't retain salary, the devils sent you a Santini shit contact. And the money used from the Subban went to the 13 goal center who plays wing now Duchene lol.

Okay Ryan Johansen is a decent player, but he shouldn't have cost Seth Jones to get lol.

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin

Subban is finished, and you did not trade him for "good futures"

How do you know? He was traded for a young, mobile LHD who could become a cheap bottom pairing guy for us as soon as next season, the 34th pick last year which was traded for the 45th and 65th picks and another pick in the 30s this year. I'd say that's pretty good value for a declining player.

TopTenPlayz

Jun 6, 2014
We did win two of those trades though...
I don't think anyone with half a brain would currently take Subban over Weber. Same goes for Johansen over Jones...those trades were terrible for NSH. Damn, Nsh might have had Weber, Josi, Jones right now as anchors...

habs03

Subban #Thoroughbred
Jun 21, 2010
I don't think anyone with half a brain would currently take Subban over Weber. Same goes for Johansen over Jones...those trades were terrible for NSH. Damn, Nsh might have had Weber, Josi, Jones right now as anchors...

Josi-Jones

Girard-Weber

You even have a ECHL 3rd pair and have each pair play 25-27 min a night.

WOW

habs03

Subban #Thoroughbred
Jun 21, 2010
How do you know? He was traded for a young, mobile LHD who could become a cheap bottom pairing guy for us as soon as next season, the 34th pick last year which was traded for the 45th and 65th picks and another pick in the 30s this year. I'd say that's pretty good value for a declining player.

That 65th pick can become a future all star and it would still be a bad trade. He was not seen as decline player but rather a player that had a bad year. Even all the homers were saying its a good deal because Subban money would be used to land Duchene...which has turned out bad aswell.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
NVM Girard, how about;

Josi-Jones

Suter-Weber

That would the best top 4 that ever was.

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg

Turris for Neal . Would need value added to offset the extra year on Turris contract
Actually I think Turris is the better player, so I would take Straight across for the extra year. They both suck, but 1 for 1 is a deal the oilers should look to pursue.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
I don't think you won the Subban for Weber trade at all.

Ok...but why? Can you expand? We literally had our three most successful seasons in franchise history because of this trade and Subban was even nominated for Norris, although I think it was more based on name recognition because I thought Josi was better but I digress.

Subban's play was so bad that a rookie Fabbro had an identical stat line to Subban until February when he started slowing down, which is common for a rookie. Should we have kept him?

The deal isn't as cut and dry that you can say "Well...Weber's still playing at an elite level and Subban sucks so you lost" Yeah, Subban sucks but we moved him after we got all our use out of him and we used him to restock our prospect pool.

Subban is finished, and you did not trade him for "good futures", and while you didn't retain salary, the devils sent you a Santini shit contact. And the money used from the Subban went to the 13 goal center who plays wing now Duchene lol.

Okay Ryan Johansen is a decent player, but he shouldn't have cost Seth Jones to get lol.

Yes, but they all made sense at the time.

Uh yeah, that's why we moved Subban without retaining anything when he regressed so bad.
:laugh: If you don't think we got any "good futures" then I suggest you familiarize yourself with Afanasyev. Also the high NJ pick this year gives us a lot of leverage to move up into the first again.

And what happens if Duchene returns to 60-70 point form when we get rid of the waste of skates that are Granlund and Turris? Does that change your mind?

You do realize that Santini was a throw in right? Like we had to take him back so that NJ would take the full Subban contract right?

Johansen, RNH and Draisaitl were the only options we had when we were moving Jones. And while it's obvious in hindsight that we should have taken Draisaitl he was coming off a pitiful 9 point rookie season and everybody was talking about how Edmonton ruined yet another high pick. We gambled and made it to within 2 wins of the cup.
We always knew we were going to lose the Jones trade but it was necessary as we don't get the same return if we traded Ellis and we wouldn't have the defensive depth if we moved Weber. We had to get a number one center.

Uh yeah, that's why we moved him without retention for futures. The trade has moved on beyond what Subban does on his future team and what Weber continues to do for Montreal.

Again, we don't make the finals, win the Presidents trophy or win our division without Johansen and Subban.
Yes, we could have Weber, Josi and Jones right now! Great, who's playing center again?

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
That 65th pick can become a future all star and it would still be a bad trade. He was not seen as decline player but rather a player that had a bad year. Even all the homers were saying its a good deal because Subban money would be used to land Duchene...which has turned out bad aswell.

:ha::facepalm::pullhair:

No, if the 65th pick becomes an all-star we win the trade even more.

And NO! Subban was very much seen as a declining player, but everybody who actually watched him. Subban is not the same player he was before, he was garbage his last year in Nashville and we made that trade with that in mind. He regressed further in NJ, if he improves great but we got rid of his contract without retaining anything. That's a win.

Again, what happens when we get rid of Granlund and Turris if Duchene goes back to 60-70 points? You're looking this from an incredibly narrow view. Duchene has several years before his contract ends something tells me all of them aren't going to be as poor as this year.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

habs03

Subban #Thoroughbred
Jun 21, 2010
@Soundgarden:

For all the negative aspect you want to look at the moment of the trade ex Turris at the time of the trade
But for all the positive you want to look at what could happen..Duchene going back to a C and producing 60-70 points..

I can't lol, you seem like a nice cool person, have good one!!

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
@Soundgarden:

For all the negative aspect you want to look at the moment of the trade ex Turris at the time of the trade
But for all the positive you want to look at what could happen..Duchene going back to a C and producing 60-70 points..

I can't lol, you seem like a nice cool person, have good one!!

Fine, we lost the Turris deal, we were trying to get a 2nd line center for a bottom pairing prospect and it flopped. But you can't blame a GM for making that deal, every single GM with a team looking to contend would make that deal.

Even if Duchene doesn't go back to form, we still win both Subban deals though. Past, present, future.

viceroy

Mar 5, 2011
Montreal suburbs
Yeah, "players won't be brought back" is basically significant only to Granlund, Smith, and Yannick Weber.

Waitaminute! Yannick Weber's still in the NHL? I was sure Carey Price's brother-in-law had gone back to Switzerland years ago. So do they just keep him to fool gullible Tennessee hockey fans that Shea's still a Pred?

Reactions: teddygmr

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
If Preds need to bring back a player who they know and love I have a player that will provide that kind of compete that is missing. Horny has maybe two years left of good play maybe three. Now what the Pens want back is what is depending on the moves the Pens make in conjunction of the deal.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
If Preds need to bring back a player who they know and love I have a player that will provide that kind of compete that is missing. Horny has maybe two years left of good play maybe three. Now what the Pens want back is what is depending on the moves the Pens make in conjunction of the deal.

Unless Pittsburgh is taking back Turris I'll pass, and even then Turris had the same amount of points in a season where he was benched by Laviolette and not good more often than not when he did play. We're trying to get younger too, a 33 year old Hornqvist doesn't do much for us.

Galaxydoggystyle

Jul 4, 2019
Ok...but why? Can you expand? We literally had our three most successful seasons in franchise history because of this trade and Subban was even nominated for Norris, although I think it was more based on name recognition because I thought Josi was better but I digress.

Subban's play was so bad that a rookie Fabbro had an identical stat line to Subban until February when he started slowing down, which is common for a rookie. Should we have kept him?

The deal isn't as cut and dry that you can say "Well...Weber's still playing at an elite level and Subban sucks so you lost" Yeah, Subban sucks but we moved him after we got all our use out of him and we used him to restock our prospect pool.

Yes, but they all made sense at the time.

Uh yeah, that's why we moved Subban without retaining anything when he regressed so bad.
:laugh: If you don't think we got any "good futures" then I suggest you familiarize yourself with Afanasyev. Also the high NJ pick this year gives us a lot of leverage to move up into the first again.

And what happens if Duchene returns to 60-70 point form when we get rid of the waste of skates that are Granlund and Turris? Does that change your mind?

You do realize that Santini was a throw in right? Like we had to take him back so that NJ would take the full Subban contract right?

Johansen, RNH and Draisaitl were the only options we had when we were moving Jones. And while it's obvious in hindsight that we should have taken Draisaitl he was coming off a pitiful 9 point rookie season and everybody was talking about how Edmonton ruined yet another high pick. We gambled and made it to within 2 wins of the cup.
We always knew we were going to lose the Jones trade but it was necessary as we don't get the same return if we traded Ellis and we wouldn't have the defensive depth if we moved Weber. We had to get a number one center.

Uh yeah, that's why we moved him without retention for futures. The trade has moved on beyond what Subban does on his future team and what Weber continues to do for Montreal.

Again, we don't make the finals, win the Presidents trophy or win our division without Johansen and Subban.
Yes, we could have Weber, Josi and Jones right now! Great, who's playing center again?
Just because you flipped Subban to another team doesn't mean you won the Subban trade. Weber is still an elite number 1 and you guys still have to worry about the recapture penalty when he retires even if it isn't that huge 20m+ cap hit you guys are going to get dinged for 7.8m in recapture. If you go the route of trading for Weber that means you are sending assets back to us so again yes you may have gotten assets from Subban but you will be losing assets IF you trade back for Weber. I just don't see Weber playing for 1m a season.

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
I swear to God the only thing Montreal fans like to talk about is Drouin and Domi's worth and how they're going to f*** over the Preds on the recapture in a trade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad