News: Poile on the Preds: "Some players aren't going to be brought back. ... We're not satisfied."

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
Duchene - moved to wing so Turris can play 2C, for whatever reason. Yep, down year.
Turris - definitely agree
Johansen - down a bit but definitely not as bad as people think. JOFA line is basically all we've had for a couple years.
Granlud - definitely agree. Plays wing, huge disappointment since he arrived.

Aside from Josi and a couple others, most of the team was off.
It feels like they were building to the 16-18 team without realizing how much Subban's regression/departure changed the shopping list. It's gotta be frustrating how Poile reverts to overpaying for name brands, when one of his best offseasons was panning for first line production with PTO signings.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
www.ShattenkirksKrakenshirt.net
Can Nielsen play 2nd line RW? Can he play #5D? No, he's not they type of "bad contract" we'd be willing to take back. He's too far gone and doesn't fit any of our needs at all. Turris hasn't done very well as a winger for us, but just keeping him and continuing to use him or Duchene as wingers is still better for us than Nielsen would be.

You know, I actually have no idea how FN would do as a winger, because I don't think he's ever been utilized there (at least with Detroit).

But yeah, I get your point.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
I think poile has to retain on Turris’s contract and not take on another Bad contract. Turris at 4 million isn’t bad and if a team like buffalo needs a stopgap at 2c until cozen is ready I can see them taking a chance on him maybe.

Maybe poile could offer sheet Cernak from Tampa. Josi could benefit playing with a more physical big body.

I see Tennessee being a 7-3-1 protection team. The only way they trade Ellus would be if they had someone like Cernak coming back. Acquiring him is utterly stupid with ED coming up.

Buffalo has little interest in Turris given he has 4 full yrs left. Even at 50% retained I have no interest.

They could just buy him out. 4 yrs st $2M snd 4 yrs st $1M cap hit.

Asymmetric Solution

Nov 29, 2018
What does a Rasmus Ristolainen, Brandon Montour, or Colin Miller get Buffalo from Nashville? I know their values are not linear but just curious if Nashville has any interest in one of them.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
What does a Rasmus Ristolainen, Brandon Montour, or Colin Miller get Buffalo from Nashville? I know their values are not linear but just curious if Nashville has any interest in one of them.
Turris, Turris, or Turris, basically. Well, with a variable degree of sprinkles on the side depending on which D we are talking about.

Assuming Miller is the least of the bunch, then we pondered on something like Turris ($1.125M retained) + 3rd for Miller at one point. Then the Sabres effectively get Turris for $4.875M, which he should be able to justify as long as you lock him into a 2C role with some PP time. And we get Miller for effectively $5M, but since it's only for 2 years we can live with that overpayment. And the retention amount shouldn't be crippling past that.

I don't think it's worth trying to build any sexier-looking deal for Ristolainen. At the end of the day we're not likely to trade any of our true core players.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Full quote:
NSH general manager David Poile: "Some players aren't going to be brought back. ... We're not satisfied, and going to make some changes. We have to manage better, John (Hynes) and his staff have to coach better, and players have to play better."

They were saying on Hockey Central this week Poile came very close to making major trade at deadline. They said it would have been surprising. So, sounds like something to it.

Burke said Poile is type of GM not afraid to make a bold move. Said when you call him in 30 seconds he has a big offer for you.

Apr 9, 2009
USA
Even funnier fact: Johansen, a playmaker, had 39, 47 and 50 assist seasons here.

Oh yeah and he's had three great playoffs for us. Again, he's overpaid by 1-2M but he's not worthless.

is a 39 assist season really worth mentioning here? He had 54 points that season. That hurts your argument, it doesn't help it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad