News: Poile on the Preds: "Some players aren't going to be brought back. ... We're not satisfied."

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I get that NSH is disappointed with their recent play, but let's not forget that they were in the Cup finals just a few years ago, and almost always make the playoffs. A lot of the posts here make them sound like a dysfunctional bunch of losers, when they are anything but.

The style that they play depends on two way forward play, and getting offense from their D. No surprise that their forwards have lower point totals, and their D higher.

Reactions: preds1 and Viqsi

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
So many players that disappointed this season

Turris
Duchene
Johansen
Smith
Granlund
Rinne

If any were traded or not brought back I wouldn’t be terribly upset.

Turris is a candidate for buyout or retain 2M and trade for future considerations.

smith and granlund are likely done

rinne is over 35 so unless he rides ltir it doesn’t much matter what he does since his cap will hit us regardless.

Other options: with expansion draft coming up and cap not really rising, ekholm will be too expensive in the long run to keep. I could see us trading him as well.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
I can see it now...JR trades Malkin to Nashville for Duchene. He's been after Duchene for a long time and all this Malkin talk stuff.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Yeah, I think it's mostly a hope that letting these guys walks results in two things:
1) a bit of a wakeup call to the others
2) hope that hungry kids like Tolvanen and Trenin step in and push the veterans

They've gone a while with very few young players, and the comfy feeling that they are a "contender" (in their own minds) and that the GM will always reach out and bring in known names like Granlund and Duchene to supposedly keep them going. This time, he lets players walks and brings up prospects? Does that make the core look in the mirror and suddenly realize they're going to have get the job done themselves.

Well, I don't think it will really work, but that's about all it will be.

That's a fair take on things. I guess i can see the idea of a "wakeup call" being the last shot Poile has left to fire at this point. He's done a remarkable job of keeping the team "in it" for so long now. But at some point, it just has to be more. Frankly...hoping some young players step up, is probably the last round left in that gun.

Counting on Trenin and Tolvanen for anything though, is just...not a place i'd want to be as a GM.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
That's a fair take on things. I guess i can see the idea of a "wakeup call" being the last shot Poile has left to fire at this point. He's done a remarkable job of keeping the team "in it" for so long now. But at some point, it just has to be more. Frankly...hoping some young players step up, is probably the last round left in that gun.

Counting on Trenin and Tolvanen for anything though, is just...not a place i'd want to be as a GM.
One thing is that the bar is basically sitting on ground right now. Trenin at least I'm confident looks ready to play in the NHL full time... he's probably ultimately going to be more of a grinder than his scoring totals in his 3rd AHL season might suggest. But he can play. Tolvanen I think is more of a true wildcard. But the thing is, relative to getting absolutely zilch out of Granlund and Smith in the last viewing we had of them, the youngsters can't possibly do any worse. The bar is as low as it can get. :(

Reactions: biturbo19

kenfury

Feb 5, 2011
How would the Nashville fan base feel about Turris traded with 25% retention for an AHL level prospect (Aka nothing)? Turris at 4M is not too bad for the team taking him and you only need to pay 1.5 Mil for 4 years not 2M for 8 years.

FameFlame069

Oct 2, 2017
A replacement for him at least. There's 3-6 players we'd be looking to get rid of before it comes to moving him and we have zero defensive depth.

Well i think Ekholm would be a terrific addition to our team, that's why I asked, what about Calle and Pekka(1M retention?)
Ryan with our 2nd and next years 2nd?

Last edited:

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
I get that NSH is disappointed with their recent play, but let's not forget that they were in the Cup finals just a few years ago, and almost always make the playoffs. A lot of the posts here make them sound like a dysfunctional bunch of losers, when they are anything but.

The style that they play depends on two way forward play, and getting offense from their D. No surprise that their forwards have lower point totals, and their D higher.

38 months ago...

Followed by In order:

2nd round exit (Including three losses at home).
1st round exit
Not making the actual playoffs.

Just like their opponent in the Finals (Pittsburgh), they've been trending down ever since..

The Jones for RyJo trade looks hideous in retrospect. But I get why it was made.

The Bonino, Duchene, and Terri's transactions/signings have not worked at all.

Going from Lavi to Hynes is a huge step down.

Maybe the Preds need to make wholesale changes in all aspects of their organization.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)

This. The Preds were what the Jackets are right now. They may be able to be that again in very short order.
that said I swear there's some curse that dictates that my teams are not allowed to both be good at the same time

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
Turris' deal is far from immovable, especially if we retain or take a bad contract back. He can still be a 50 point 2nd line center, although not an ideal one.

We're not looking to shuffle Duchene's contract, we need actual top 6 players to play with him though. Getting Trenin and one of Pitlick, Tolvanen and Tomasino to show just a little bit of fight will be a hell of a lot easier than whatever the hell Granlund was doing here.

Even if we just move UFAs we're still getting rid of Weber and Hamhuis and replacing them with a better younger player.

Granlund, Smith, Turris(maybe), Weber, Hamhuis, and possibly Jarnkrok or someone similar is a ton of movement. That's the equivalent of moving an entire second line and bottom pairing. Just because we're not moving our best players doesn't mean we're not in for a lot of movement.

The term on Turris' deal makes that a really tough contract to move. You'd have to take back a deal with as much term and as bad. Nobody is going to see him as a 50 point center, he's getting older and it;s not looking like a one off. I don't mind him and think he could rebound but why would anyone take that risk unless they unload an equally bad contract. Not many deals are that bad and with term around the league, at least not many Nashville wouldn't be even more screwed taking back.

Reactions: Luckylarry

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
How would the Nashville fan base feel about Turris traded with 25% retention for an AHL level prospect (Aka nothing)? Turris at 4M is not too bad for the team taking him and you only need to pay 1.5 Mil for 4 years not 2M for 8 years.
4.5m for 4 years for a guy who had 2.5 bad seasons in a row and is on the bad side of 30 likely involves a bad contract coming back still. Especially given the flat cap. It's not crazy to think it could happen but I'd suspect it's very unlikely. Maybe Ottawa would but I doubt it.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
I'd love Filip Forsberg on the Flyers. Would Nashville entertain:

TO PHI
- Forsberg

TO NSH
- van Riemsdyk
- Brink
- 1st round pick 2020
- 2nd round 2021

GoldOnGold

Mar 27, 2016
Nashville, Tennessee
38 months ago...

Followed by In order:

2nd round exit (Including three losses at home).
1st round exit
Not making the actual playoffs.

Just like their opponent in the Finals (Pittsburgh), they've been trending down ever since..

The Jones for RyJo trade looks hideous in retrospect. But I get why it was made.

The Bonino, Duchene, and Terri's transactions/signings have not worked at all.

Going from Lavi to Hynes is a huge step down.

Maybe the Preds need to make wholesale changes in all aspects of their organization.

Bonino has been great, not sure what you are on about there.

CanadianHawks

Feb 23, 2018
Yeah, I think Neal is a perfect example of the kind of square peg matching that would work for a deal. Anything we have seen in Nashville is that Turris can only play center for some reason, and we have 4 other centers. But we're about to lose Smith and Granlund from RW, so anybody with a pulse who can conceivably be thrown onto an NHL 2nd line wing is suddenly a need for us. Neal is very much a fit. Some other threads mentioned Hornqvist (but the Pens have no use for Turris) or Matheson on D, or a D from Buffalo, etc. Those are the sorts of things that I think should pique Poile's interest. And then if there's a fit, the little sprinkles on the side for retention or draft picks shouldn't really be that contentious.

Turris for Colin Miller would make alot of sense too

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Turris for Frans Nielsen straight up (if his modified NTC doesn't stop it)?
Can Nielsen play 2nd line RW? Can he play #5D? No, he's not they type of "bad contract" we'd be willing to take back. He's too far gone and doesn't fit any of our needs at all. Turris hasn't done very well as a winger for us, but just keeping him and continuing to use him or Duchene as wingers is still better for us than Nielsen would be.

Reactions: RedMenace

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Yeah, if there was absolutely no real hockey trade out there, I think the fanbase would accept that. I don't honestly think a buyout is even in the realm of possibility, though, so holding that up as the point of comparison probably is only valid in our fantasy GM minds, it's not something that the Preds would ever actually entertain. I dare to hope Poile would bend just a wee bit on retaining some salary in the right scenario, but even that is not certain.

Turris should easily be worth $4M but as always it is contingent on a team giving him that consistent top-6 role. If he gets that utilization, he's even worth $5M, and it's not completely impossible that with the right chemistry he's worth the full $6M. It's just what team really has the need to put him in that role and lock him in and throw away the key for 4 years? No coach wants to lose their ability to tinker with the lineup, and hardly any teams are so desperate for a soft #2C that they are ready to make that kind of commitment. Nashville had as much incentive as anybody to bestow that role on Turris... afterall, they made the big trade to get him and gave him that big contract, right? So if anybody is going to anoint him as the #2C and bend over backwards to maximize his contribution, you'd think it would be the Preds. But no, as soon as a brighter, shinier toy came along they kicked Turris to the curb. Other teams won't even have as much motivation as the Preds did to lock Turris into the role he seems to need in order to succeed. So I certainly understand the reluctance of any team to take him on. He's a very binary player it seems.

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro
I think poile has to retain on Turris’s contract and not take on another Bad contract. Turris at 4 million isn’t bad and if a team like buffalo needs a stopgap at 2c until cozen is ready I can see them taking a chance on him maybe. I get preds fans don’t want to get rid of Bonino but if I’m poile I’m trading him as well. His value has to be high with him scoring 18 goals last year so you can get a higher pick for the rebuild if it happens soon. Sissons is unfortunately locked up for along time and he has the ability to play 3c so losing bones would be a hard pill to swallow but we have a cheaper replacement in sissons. Granlund and smith and Weber shouldn’t be brought back. I would even go as far as seeing what you can get for Ellis or Ekholm. Not that I want to see one go but if we can get younger I would be okay with it. Maybe poile could offer sheet Cernak from Tampa. Josi could benefit playing with a more physical big body.

This is team has been stale for awhile now and I believe major changes is the right step. See what transpires from a couple of big moves to get younger if their is no improvement make a couple more until you’re in a full rebuild. The fact that preds have been a playoff team for so long has kept us from getting those elite players early in the draft. I get why you needed to keep reloading to stay relevant in the early years to build the fan base but I think hockey is big enough now in Nashville that it can maybe have a few bad years (hopefully) to get some elite players.

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
Why does every center that goes to Nashville underachieves in terms of production?

Duchene
Turris
Johansen
Granlund

Reactions: teddygmr

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
Why does every center that goes to Nashville underachieves in terms of production?

Duchene
Turris
Johansen
Granlund

Granlund isn't a center. Johansen, until this year has pretty consistently been around a 60 point center. Duchene was in the general range of likely outcomes for production. Turris was exactly what we expected his first partial season with us. Then he got hurt and the coaching staff lost confidence and he's just never gotten it back. I don't really know what's going on there.

preds1

Apr 2, 2010
TN

Duchene
Turris
Johansen
Granlund

Duchene - moved to wing so Turris can play 2C, for whatever reason. Yep, down year.
Turris - definitely agree
Johansen - down a bit but definitely not as bad as people think. JOFA line is basically all we've had for a couple years.
Granlud - definitely agree. Plays wing, huge disappointment since he arrived.

Aside from Josi and a couple others, most of the team was off.

doomscroll

Jan 15, 2018
Something along the lines of Bonino to the Rangers for Carolina’s 1st round pick.
That is unappealing for the Rangers. There is some flexibility for NY to make moves and spending a first for a center the team can hardly afford for the one year he’s signed before UFA is not great value. The Rangers aren’t expecting a cup next season, there is absolutely no need to spend a first on a rental at all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad