Proposal: Poehling & Scherbak for Bean & Gauthier?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I don’t think it’s an easy question to answer. My bet is something will be done at the draft for a mid 20’s top pairing LHD. I honestly think it’ll be around Lehkonen, Shaw/Alzner, one of our recent 2nd rounder who showed a decent progression and multiple draft picks (ranging from 2020 1st to 5th).

We’ll have to see who’s available at that time.

I want someone young vs a pending UFA. I have zero interest on trading futures for rentals. I'm down for a hockey trade where both teams address team needs but I'm not trading futures or young players for older players. Not based on how the Habs are built right now

Only guy I might make a move on is Panarin... if we can do a trade and sign type deal. I don't see any NHL proven guys that help our team now and in the future. Panarin for the next 7 years would be from age 28-34. We would have to give him $8.5M for 7 years in order for him to consider playing in Montreal.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
I want someone young vs a pending UFA. I have zero interest on trading futures for rentals. I'm down for a hockey trade where both teams address team needs but I'm not trading futures or young players for older players. Not based on how the Habs are built right now

Only guy I might make a move on is Panarin... if we can do a trade and sign type deal. I don't see any NHL proven guys that help our team now and in the future. Panarin for the next 7 years would be from age 28-34. We would have to give him $8.5M for 7 years in order for him to consider playing in Montreal.

I was reffering to someone with terms. Think Cam Fowler type of guy. Signed long term, mid 20’s who can fill next to Shea Weber.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
I picked Bean cause I looked at team that are stacked on D. There are not many. Canes look like they have a lot of pieces both on their roster today and for the future. They could use some center depth.

If not bean, what other team do you think is a good fit? If (big if) the Habs are even interested in trading Poehling for a LD

Better off just keeping Poehling, really. Acquiring a D prospect worth it would be tough, teams generally don't let them off their hands.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I was reffering to someone with terms. Think Cam Fowler type of guy. Signed long term, mid 20’s who can fill next to Shea Weber.

Yes but do the Ducks make this kind of move? What do their D look like after the trade? It's not easy to get this kind of proven piece with term. I rather keep what we have or try to use a position of strength to get a young piece (before he proves himself) at LD. Once these kids show promise in NHL games, teams don't move them. Would you trade Juulsen at this stage?

Reactions: Baksfamous112

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Correct. It comes down to preference. My preference was to focus on youth this year and I don't value this rebound/pride season where we likely finish in the middle of the pack somewhere. It's nice to see the Habs play an entertaining style of game but I'm a bit tired of "trying for the playoffs where anything can happen". I rather focus on another top 10 pick.

I am willing to wait for 3 years to let it play out but we also have Weber only around for another 4 or 5 years.

Bean vs Poehling. Both are reliable type players who play smart. I think the value is close but not sure. I know more about Poehling vs Bean. But I have watched Bean play and his game is not offense, it's playing smart and being a puck mover.

I think I'd rather see how our prospects do this year (praying for them to play well and improve their market value) and trade for an established young D. We found a trade partner for Drouin, then for Domi, I'm sure there will be opportunities for a D. Like some other posters said probably a package including a winger and prospect or something similar.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Better off just keeping Poehling, really. Acquiring a D prospect worth it would be tough, teams generally don't let them off their hands.

It's true and it's rare to get that piece threw trades. The issue or dilemma here is are you OK with status quo and burning years of Weber's service? We got 4 or 5 more years with him. Romanov and Harris won't be NHL ready for at least another 3 years (maybe more).

Do you have faith in Reilly, Mete, Quellet, Benn handling the left side for multiple years to come?

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Yes but do the Ducks make this kind of move? What do their D look like after the trade? It's not easy to get this kind of proven piece with term. I rather keep what we have or try to use a position of strength to get a young piece (before he proves himself) at LD. Once these kids show promise in NHL games, teams don't move them. Would you trade Juulsen at this stage?

I gave Fowler as an example of the type of D we should be after. The best thing to do is sit back and see who is made available and go from there.

Personally, I think we have enough young talent and depth to make a splash and get someone who has shown he’s the real deal already. It’s been a while since we’ve had this opportunity and we missed out on a lot of big names because of our lack of depth and B type prospects. We just couldn’t afford to pay the price without gutting our team or prospect pool. However, now we have that opportunity and I’d rather add someone of Fowler’s caliber instead of a guy like Bean who has potential but isn’t quite ready yet.

Edit: I don’t see what Bean would add to Mete and Reilly honestly. He’s in the Romanov/Hillis category where he still need 2-3 years to settle in and show he can contribute on a consistent basis

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I think I'd rather see how our prospects do this year (praying for them to play well and improve their market value) and trade for an established young D. We found a trade partner for Drouin, then for Domi, I'm sure there will be opportunities for a D. Like some other posters said probably a package including a winger and prospect or something similar.

Two ways to get a top 4D IMO.

1) Draft them

2) Trade for them before they become proven (like Sergachev). Once they show promise, you are not getting them.

I like Poehling just as much as any other Habs fan. I value him as a Grade A prospect. But if Domi, Kotkaniemi, and Danault show that they can handle the top 3C roles. I'm willing to talk about making hockey trade with a team looking for a center and has depth on LD.

I guess your point is to wait and trade Poehling with NHL value. Like the RyJo/Jones type deal? Not saying Poehling is RyJo but the idea is the same. Two young players swapping teams based on team needs.

Think about it this way though. Leafs have Nylander to use in a trade and think about what they are able to get on D? It's not easy. My strategy is to acquire the missing piece on LD before they become NHL proven.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I gave Fowler as an example of the type of D we should be after. The best thing to do is sit back and see who is made available and go from there.

Personally, I think we have enough young talent and depth to make a splash and get someone who has shown he’s the real deal already. It’s been a while since we’ve had this opportunity and we missed out on a lot of big names because of our lack of depth and B type prospects. We just couldn’t afford to pay the price without gutting our team or prospect pool. However, now we have that opportunity and I’d rather add someone of Fowler’s caliber instead of a guy like Bean who has potential but isn’t quite ready yet.

Edit: I don’t see what Bean would add to Mete and Reilly honestly. He’s in the Romanov/Hillis category where he still need 2-3 years to settle in and show he can contribute on a consistent basis

Bean is a projected top 4D. I don't have him as a top paring guy. But I also don't have Poehling as a top center either. Bean is age 20 and is a hell of a lot closer to the NHL vs Romanov and Harris. I'm not super high on Mete. Crazy good skating and vision though. But lacks size.

I am looking for a guy that can move the puck and plays smart. Bean would be a good fit for Weber as early as next year. Turns 21 in June and would have one full AHL season under his belt. Very similar potential to Juulsen IMO.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Bean is a projected top 4D. I don't have him as a top paring guy. But I also don't have Poehling as a top center either. Bean is age 20 and is a hell of a lot closer to the NHL vs Romanov and Harris. I'm not super high on Mete. Crazy good skating and vision though. But lacks size.

I am looking for a guy that can move the puck and plays smart. Bean would be a good fit for Weber as early as next year. Turns 21 in June and would have one full AHL season under his belt. Very similar potential to Juulsen IMO.

Good point but I am not sold on Bean. He’s got a lot of tools but also Beaulieu’s complex where he will make dumb mistakes one over another.

At this point, I prefer to target someone more proved and efficient than Bean. Also, in my book, Mete > Bean by a large margin in both current plays and potential.

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
Not sure the Habs would trade Poehling at this stage but they might if Domi, Kotkaniemi, Danault can handle the future top 3C roles. Time will tell.

Habs lack depth at LD. Canes appear to have it. Is there a deal here Canes fans?

Fair value to both teams or is it offsided?
No interest in trading Poehling at this point.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Two ways to get a top 4D IMO.

1) Draft them

2) Trade for them before they become proven (like Sergachev). Once they show promise, you are not getting them.

I like Poehling just as much as any other Habs fan. I value him as a Grade A prospect. But if Domi, Kotkaniemi, and Danault show that they can handle the top 3C roles. I'm willing to talk about making hockey trade with a team looking for a center and has depth on LD.

I guess your point is to wait and trade Poehling with NHL value. Like the RyJo/Jones type deal? Not saying Poehling is RyJo but the idea is the same. Two young players swapping teams based on team needs.

Think about it this way though. Leafs have Nylander to use in a trade and think about what they are able to get on D? easy. My strategy is to acquire the missing piece on LD before they become NHL proven.

My point is more why not use Poehling as a 2nd/3rd center depending how he ends up, and put Domi on the wing if Poehling ends up in a top 6 role? Why not be patient? I will like Montreal's position when the 2018 prospects will show signs of being legit.

I'd prefer focusing on building a very strong offense with a weaker defense backstopped by Price.

We had some strong defensive teams in front of Price and the problem has always been the scoring. We know Price can do the job, let's give him the goals. If Price fails us, then we're not gonna win, but he's our elite player, and we have to assume it.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
1) It was more than just Poehling. It was Poehling and the 3rd OA pick. It's strange that the + on top of Poehling is ignored.

2) We also did not know how good of a game Domi had at center. Will it last? Time will tell. The focus here is what if it does?

Poehling and Kotkaniemi for ROR <<< Poehling and Scherbak for Bean and Gauthier. One trade we lose and the other one might be fair where it address a hole.
It was 3rd overall for ROR which MB quickly shot down, and then it was Poehling and a 2nd for ROR which MB again declined.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
My point is more why not use Poehling as a 2nd/3rd center depending how he ends up, and put Domi on the wing if Poehling ends up in a top 6 role? Why not be patient? I will like Montreal's position when the 2018 prospects will show signs of being legit.

I'd prefer focusing on building a very strong offense with a weaker defense backstopped by Price.

We had some strong defensive teams in front of Price and the problem has always been the scoring. We know Price can do the job, let's give him the goals. If Price fails us, then we're not gonna win, but he's our elite player, and we have to assume it.

Price can't be Price if we have a weaker defense. Price needs a good defense in front of him just like Vasilevskiy has. Price is one of the best. Not the undisputed best. I like Price but he is not god. This is the problem in Montreal. We think he can carry us

We need to focus on both improving the offense and defense. Our problem in prior years was centers and ability to score. We have a better center depth but we sill lack goal scoring talent on the wing. But we also need to improve the LD in terms of shut down ability

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
It was 3rd overall for ROR which MB quickly shot down, and then it was Poehling and a 2nd for ROR which MB again declined.

Rumors or truth? I'm not sure. I do know Bergevin was talking to the Sabres about ROR though. I just don't see the Poehling and a 2nd adding up to what they got from the Blues. The rumor don't add up to me.

Regardless, I'm glad he shot it down. ROR is one dam good top 2C but I rather focus on younger.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Good point but I am not sold on Bean. He’s got a lot of tools but also Beaulieu’s complex where he will make dumb mistakes one over another.

At this point, I prefer to target someone more proved and efficient than Bean. Also, in my book, Mete > Bean by a large margin in both current plays and potential.

Not me. I value Bean more than Mete. I want shut down ability and it's lacking on the LD side. IMO, Reilly is our only good NHL piece in the LD side. Mete can and will be a focus of attack by the other teams coach.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Price can't be Price if we have a weaker defense. Price needs a good defense in front of him just like Vasilevskiy has. Price is one of the best. Not the undisputed best. I like Price but he is not god. This is the problem in Montreal. We think he can carry us

We need to focus on both improving the offense and defense. Our problem in prior years was centers and ability to score. We have a better center depth but we sill lack goal scoring talent on the wing. But we also need to improve the LD in terms of shut down ability

Idk, Price is playing really well this year and I think that with a weakest goalie we would not be above expectations. The team plays with confidence in front of him. He's not gonna pile up shiny statistics though.

We will have to disagree on your last point. I do not think we have an acceptable center core right now. and we should hope on developping even better C's. I see our offense as our strenght going forward though and I accept having a below-average D right now and have an average D a few years from now while focusing on getting a top offense.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Idk, Price is playing really well this year and I think that with a weakest goalie we would not be above expectations. The team plays with confidence in front of him. He's not gonna pile up shiny statistics though.

We will have to disagree on your last point. I do not think we have an acceptable center core right now. and we should hope on developping even better C's. I see our offense as our strenght going forward though and I accept having a below-average D right now and have an average D a few years from now while focusing on getting a top offense.

Our center depth is certainly very solid both at the NHL level and prospect level. Is it projected to be like the Pens or some of the best teams in the league? No. But it's very solid. Would I like to win the draft lottery and take Hughes? Yes.

I don't support building our team with a weak defense exposing Price. I want shut down type guys and it's lacking on the LD side. Price needs a good team D in front of him. He is not Hasek and all good goalies have a good team in front of them.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Our center depth is certainly very solid both at the NHL level and prospect level. Is it projected to be like the Pens or some of the best teams in the league? No. But it's very solid. Would I like to win the draft lottery and take Hughes? Yes.

I don't support building our team with a weak defense exposing Price. I want shut down type guys and it's lacking on the LD side. Price needs a good team D in front of him. He is not Hasek and all good goalies have a good team in front of them.

Here's the thing, I have a very difficult time to see how in 15 games we went from one of the worst NHL center depth chart to an average one, let alone "very solid". I do believe we have very good prospects at C and a bright future at the position.

We need help on D but not at the expense of possibly our best prospect outside the NHL (Depends where you rank Suzuki).

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Here's the thing, I have a very difficult time to see how in 15 games we went from one of the worst NHL center depth chart to an average one, let alone "very solid". I do believe we have very good prospects at C and a bright future at the position.

We need help on D but not at the expense of possibly our best prospect outside the NHL (Depends where you rank Suzuki).

Remove Pleky from the top 3C, Move Drouin to wing, and insert Kotkaniemi and Domi. Our center depth is solid both at the NHL level and pipeline. Not sure how you don't see the difference from last year to this year?

I have Suzuki as a RW. I value Poehling just as much as you do (trust me). I am just wondering how he fits if Domi, Kotkaniemi, Danault can carry the top 3C roles. We lack shut down types on LD big time. This is how we help Price become worth $10.5M a year.

Hostile Offer

Jun 17, 2017
Finland
It's true and it's rare to get that piece threw trades. The issue or dilemma here is are you OK with status quo and burning years of Weber's service? We got 4 or 5 more years with him. Romanov and Harris won't be NHL ready for at least another 3 years (maybe more).

Do you have faith in Reilly, Mete, Quellet, Benn handling the left side for multiple years to come?

So if we don't get a high end D prospect RIGHT NOW, we'll be stuck with what we currently have for years to come? There's a draft next year too and there are also some really good dmen available out there, depending on what the plan is. Poehling is a future building block, if there's a way to figure things out at LHD without losing him (and there is), that would be great.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
So if we don't get a high end D prospect RIGHT NOW, we'll be stuck with what we currently have for years to come? There's a draft next year too and there are also some really good dmen available out there, depending on what the plan is. Poehling is a future building block, if there's a way to figure things out at LHD without losing him (and there is), that would be great.

Depends on where we finish this year. Do you think anybody in the 10-20 range steps in the NHL in the next 2 or 3 years?

Hostile Offer

Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Depends on where we finish this year. Do you think anybody in the 10-20 range steps in the NHL in the next 2 or 3 years?

Yes, someone probably will. I wouldn't think Weber first though. He's likely not going to be there when we're ready to contend, heck, we don't even know what his current level of play is. It's a bummer that trade backfired as bad as it did but we have to live with it. Weber is a great leader and a great mentor for the kids anyway so he still brings a lot of value to us.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad