Proposal: Poehling & Scherbak for Bean & Gauthier?

Discussion in 'Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk' started by TooLegitToQuit, Nov 8, 2018.

View Users: View Users
  1. TooLegitToQuit

TooLegitToQuit Loyal Habs Fan

Civil Engineering
    Not sure the Habs would trade Poehling at this stage but they might if Domi, Kotkaniemi, Danault can handle the future top 3C roles. Time will tell.

Habs lack depth at LD. Canes appear to have it. Is there a deal here Canes fans?

Fair value to both teams or is it offsided?

2. sansabri

sansabri Saganash is my PM ☭

1. We don't need Gauthier.
    2. Why would we trade Poehling for Bean.

3. abo9

abo9 Registered User

imo Habs do need a D, but they have time in their favor., they can wait until either

1) a prospect develops above expectations
    2) A good established D becomes available for any reason

We picked up a lot ofgood prospects (first 2 rounds) in that last draft, so I would wait and see what they do and hopefully get a surplus of legit good forwards that makes 1 expendable.

4. TooLegitToQuit

Civil Engineering
    Gauthier for Scherbak. Canes get a NHL ready winger who can play both wings and it looks like they could use depth at LW. Gauthier would be in the AHL for this season and maybe next. Minor parts of the deal but it does help the Canes today and the Habs 23 man roster issue.

Why would we trade Poehling for Bean? Well, it's explained. Domi, Kotkaniemi, Danault as the Habs top 3C for the future and the Habs lack depth at LD. Canes have depth on D. There you go, your question is answered.

But I would be very hesitant to trade Poehling. Just a thread to gauge the interest and value.

5. Baksfamous112

Baksfamous112 Registered User

If MB didn’t want to put Poehling on the tab’e for ROR, I doubt he does it for Bean and Gauthier

BabyPanda and OB5 like this.
  6. sansabri

sansabri Saganash is my PM ☭

Scherbak is NHL ready but can't even be a regular on the Habs...

We didn't trade Poehling+ for ROR, but we'd do it for Bean? Our C situation looks OK now, but could easily change by the end of the season.

7. TooLegitToQuit

Civil Engineering
    Scherbak for Gauthier is not the main part of the deal. They are add ons. Habs have more depth up front vs the Canes and the reason why Scherbak can't crack the line-up. We didn't trade Poehling + for what reasons? What do you think the + was? Something minor? lol. We also didn't know how good of a center Domi was at that stage either.

I also talked about Domi/Kotkaniemi/Danault and how they could handle the top 3C roles. I said time will tell.

Not sure what your problem is. The answers to your questions have already been addressed.

8. TooLegitToQuit

Civil Engineering
    1) It was more than just Poehling. It was Poehling and the 3rd OA pick. It's strange that the + on top of Poehling is ignored.

2) We also did not know how good of a game Domi had at center. Will it last? Time will tell. The focus here is what if it does?

Poehling and Kotkaniemi for ROR <<< Poehling and Scherbak for Bean and Gauthier. One trade we lose and the other one might be fair where it address a hole.

9. Baksfamous112

Wait, what? It was Poehling + 2nd round pick +. At least know your fact.

10. TooLegitToQuit

Civil Engineering
    Are you prepared to stay status quo with what we have on our NHL roster in terms of depth at LD? The LD we drafted in the last draft won't be NHL ready for 3 more years at least.

11. TooLegitToQuit

Civil Engineering
    Not sure it was a fact. All I know is the plus on top of Poehling was significant.

Thompson vs Poehling
    Montreal's 2nd vs the Blues 1st?
    ???? vs the Blues 2nd
    ??? vs Sobotka, Berglund

The only way it adds up is if the Sabres thought Poehling was a legit future #2C and worth way more than Thompson. Like twice as much.

Regardless, I think your missing the point. The Habs did not know Domi has top 2C ability at that point. If they did, why would they even be interested in ROR? The point here is where does Poehling fit if Domi, Kotkaniemi, Danault handle the top 3C roles.

12. Eagle Peninsula

Eagle Peninsula J'espère Jesperi

Not giving up Poehling for that. Scherbak for Gauthier straight up maybe.

13. Eagle Peninsula

The reported ask was Poehling+2nd+. No mention of the 3rd overall pick although I'm sure any non-Poehling asks involved that.

Edit: nvm someone beat me to it.

14. TooLegitToQuit

Civil Engineering
    I know of the various reports. Does Poehling and a 2nd make sense vs what the Blues gave up? How about Bergevin telling the media to let the Sabres GM call me if his prices goes down? I don't believe that report was correct but I could be wrong. It just don't add up to me.

Regardless, it's a derail conversation. The point is what we have today, not what we had before the draft.

15. Baksfamous112

There was this article on the athletic and they quoted MB saying Poehling + 2nd + and that they did not want to trade Poehling.

The article also said that both Buffalo and Minny were VERY high on Poehling on draft day and it only got better for him since then as he progressed very well. Minny asked for Montreal’s pick for a current roster player and wanted Poehling. Buffalo wanted to draft Poehling but traded the pick once they saw Montreal took Poehling. With that information, I think it’s safe to say that Buffalo are higher on Poehling than they are on Thompson. Also, we don’t know how the GMs valued Soboktka and Berglund. Were they cap dump? Did they saw them as negative assets because of there contracts? No one knows.

As for our C problem, we don’t know what’s going to happen. Domi can play W, we all know that and he’s struggling with winning faceoffs. The fact is I don’t think his production will go down if he goes back to wing, so that gives us the option. He’s an hybrid type (just like I think Suzuki will be) where he can fit both on the wing and at C.

With injuries and all, it’s better to have 5 capable C’s (with 3 of them known as very good two-way) than having 4. Then, what happens when someone gets injured?

16. TooLegitToQuit

Civil Engineering
    Lets move past the ROR rumors. The point is not what we had before the draft. The point is what we have today, 15 games into the season where Domi looks like a #2C. What are you plans with Poehling if Domi/Kotkaniemi/Danault can handle the top 3C roles moving forward. Where does Poehling fit? On the 4th line? Are you happy with Reilly and Mete as our top 4D on the left side? Romanov and Harris will take at least another 3 years to be NHL ready

Lets talk about value. Who has more? Poehling or Bean? And by how much?

17. jfhabs

jfhabs Registered User

This is true, but the habs are deep on the wings. They don't have high end talent outside of Drouin, but Scherbak is not a bottom 6 winger.
    He would have to beat Gallagher, Byron, Drouin, Tatar in order to have top 6 min and then Lehkonen, Armia, Hudon for third line minutes...

TooLegitToQuit likes this.
  18. TooLegitToQuit

Civil Engineering
    I was waiting for a value post. So you don't value Bean? That was my inquiry.

19. Baksfamous112

My point was we could move Domi to wing and have Kotkaniemi/Poehling/Danault and if there’s an injury, Domi can fill the position. That would be the logical thing to do.

If we’re going to target a LHD, we can surely do better than Bean with the assets we have. Because of our depth and age, I see us pulling a similar trade to ROR’s where we would dump a roster player or two (one being young with a certain potential), a prospect and a draft choice for a position MB feel we are weak.

It’s been a while since we had both the depth, talent and asset to make such a trade. I’m looking forward to see what MB does with that

20. TooLegitToQuit

Civil Engineering
    Moving Domi to the wing is an option yes. But do you believe in Reilly, Mete, and Quellet on the left side? Romanov and Harris won't be ready for a while yet.

So I'm assuming you value Poehling more than Bean? If not Bean, who would you try to acquire and does that team have the depth to make that move?

I agree about the depth. The question is when do we make a move? Now or next year. The 2019 deadline has be a bit worried but lets see if Bergevin has adjusted and learned from his past mistakes.

21. Eagle Peninsula

Bean has value. He's just not the kinda guy I'd move Poehling for.

22. TooLegitToQuit

Civil Engineering
    I picked Bean cause I looked at team that are stacked on D. There are not many. Canes look like they have a lot of pieces both on their roster today and for the future. They could use some center depth.

If not bean, what other team do you think is a good fit? If (big if) the Habs are even interested in trading Poehling for a LD

23. abo9

abo9 Registered User

All in all, I think its a matter of preference. Why would it be bad to wait 3 years? I do not like how Juulsen and Mete are being rushed in and we should add another 21 years old with no pro experience into the mix ? Your idea suggest using Bean as a way to upgrade the D immediately. I just don't see the rush right now. Although I completely agree that the future on D looks thin and in that optic going after a solid prospect d-man is interesting.

But, I do have a hard time trading away a young center who looks very promising when they are so hard to come by. The team is playing above expectations right now and the core is very young. And for the first time in many years Montreal is looking forward to have a solid center depth in Kotkaniemi and Poehling, with Max Domi being a really pleasant surprise. I'd rather have that locked in and look for another way to get a defensman.

Furthermore if Bean is really that good, I would be surprised if the Canes don't move an older body to clear space for him and get an NHL-ready center.

24. TooLegitToQuit

Civil Engineering
    Correct. It comes down to preference. My preference was to focus on youth this year and I don't value this rebound/pride season where we likely finish in the middle of the pack somewhere. It's nice to see the Habs play an entertaining style of game but I'm a bit tired of "trying for the playoffs where anything can happen". I rather focus on another top 10 pick.

I am willing to wait for 3 years to let it play out but we also have Weber only around for another 4 or 5 years.

Bean vs Poehling. Both are reliable type players who play smart. I think the value is close but not sure. I know more about Poehling vs Bean. But I have watched Bean play and his game is not offense, it's playing smart and being a puck mover.

25. Baksfamous112

I don’t think it’s an easy question to answer. My bet is something will be done at the draft for a mid 20’s top pairing LHD. I honestly think it’ll be around Lehkonen, Shaw/Alzner, one of our recent 2nd rounder who showed a decent progression and multiple draft picks (ranging from 2020 1st to 5th).

We’ll have to see who’s available at that time.

Edit: No, I don’t value Bean higher than Poehling and if we do make a move it will be for someone who’s already showed he can play top 4 and is still fairly young.

Another possibility would be to move Petry for a similar LHD and use the assets aformentioned to upgrade our top 6.