Player Discussion Podkolzin (PbK) Thread Part 5

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
I think most knew it would take Pod awhile to reach his potential.

With his style, typical to not break out until around mid-20's.

Give him another year or two, and that's when we should see the player he can really be.

Nobody is drafting a kid - especially not a winger - at 10OA expecting him not to figure it out until his D+6/7.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Benning did
“He’s got the size and strength and can get to the net,” said Benning. “He’s going to be a good complementary player for some of our really skilled players. He plays a heavy game and we’ve seen in the playoffs that you need those strong guys who can get to the net and protect the puck.

Once we get him over here, he can step in and play right away. We think he can score in the NHL.”

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I think most knew it would take Pod awhile to reach his potential.

With his style, typical to not break out until around mid-20's.
No way. There is a difference between breaking out and reaching his peak. Pods was at one time considered a potential top 5 (even top 3 pick). He was physically developed and in no way a project. He did have a KHL contract which was talked about as an issue because of the belief that he could contribute sooner.

Reactions: ChilliBilly

HockeyWooot

Jan 28, 2020

We need this guy to develop like this when the window fully opens.

This. I'd rather have him rebuild his game and develop properly so when he comes back to the NHL it's in an impact role that sticks.

As good as the Canucks have been this year the peak contention will be when Willander and other youngsters can provide skilled contribution on ELC.

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
don’t like giving time frames for contention. Key signings, acquisitions, good drafting, and good management of cap and you can have a 6-8 year window. Tampa has been great since 2014. Boston since 2010. 2 very well managed teams.

Right now our window by most is seemingly being tied to a couple things:

1. Hughes contract
2. Millers play deteriorating
3. Demko contract

All of these are solvable, so I agree, we can extend this window. I would say we maybe have a 2-4 year mini window with this exact team, but we can easily extend that further with Hughes/Pettersson with some smart moves.

tiny103

Jun 28, 2008
Ottawa
So, do we see him come up and let tocchet see what kind of depth he has with Podz for when we inevitably get some guys injured after the trade deadline?

Caboose

Jan 16, 2019
I have full confidence that Podz will be a major contributor to the Canucks when we win the cup.

He has shown he has all the tools to be an impact full winger. I know we still have Virtanen PTSD, but Podz is constantly raved about for his work ethic and commitment to learn and improve.

We all know PWFs take longer to develop, the future is bright for the kid and it won't be long before he steps onto the Canucks as a long term fixture and fan favorite.

JanBulisPiggyBack

Dec 31, 2011
I have full confidence that Podz will be a major contributor to the Canucks when we win the cup.

He has shown he has all the tools to be an impact full winger. I know we still have Virtanen PTSD, but Podz is constantly raved about for his work ethic and commitment to learn and improve.

We all know PWFs take longer to develop, the future is bright for the kid and it won't be long before he steps onto the Canucks as a long term fixture and fan favorite.
Really all we need is one good playoffs outta him

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad