Pochettino Out, Mourinho In

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
This all started when Poch took a striker who performed poorly on his loans, put him in his team and built the team around him. Hardly anyone else would have the stones to do something like that.

Not one other manager in the history of Tottenham Hotspur has ever taken them to the Champions League or European Cup two seasons in a row. Not any manager in the history of that club. To compare that to Moyes is absolutely laughable and shows there's nothing productive to come of this, so I'm done.

You mean the same Kane Sherwood started playing?

If you believe a bankrupt Spurs from the 90s is comparable to today´s then so be it. Pochettino has contributed of course, but not a single Spurs manager since the 60s have had better working conditions than him.

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
You honestly think that was a good post? What kind of fruitful discussions could ever come from something so selective? Could easily make a 5 bullet point list of silly things Ferguson did as well. I´m lost for words over how pointless that post was.

For someone lost for words, the above post is admirably lengthy.

You are, however, lost for pointing out what I posted about Spurs' historic achievements compared to Levy's reign that was inaccurate. Who can tell, doing so might have kick-started me into the fruitfulness that would have been worthy of your interest.

Mind, while querying whether posts are good, are you sure it's wise to use Ferguson's mistakes as an example to defend Levy? Personally, I think the disparity in trophies won between the pair is large enough that cutting the old tyrant slack is far easier than going easy on Tottenham's guru.

And as for that stuff about remembering Spurs' financial crisis, I remember that, too. It was in the late 80s and early 90s under Irving Scholar. And the nineties began for them with an FA Cup, and ended with a League Cup - more silverware than Levy's cunning has mustered in roughly twice as long. (The league form was poor, I'll freely grant you).

In terms of Pochettino's departure, it's manifest there are faults on all sides - him, Levy and the players. Given Spurs' record during his long tenure, though, I think it's fair to suggest the main problem is Levy himself.

Reactions: YNWA14

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
LOL, rumours are that Mourinho is his replacement.

Talk about one overrated manager to a complete dinosaur tactician.

This speaks against it.

Spurs have been a dumpster fire for more or less thirty years. So a good manager comes along, carries an average team to the CL final, wants to change the squad and isn't allowed to.

Clearly this is all his fault.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
I'm quite busy with my studies these days, but I decided to pop in here for a few words considering the huge news.

After everything we've been through together with him, I actually shed a few tears when I saw the news. But I think the right call was made, 100%. He's been acting so incredibly strangely this past year. A large reason as to why I think completely he lost the room (Trippier has alluded to that in a few interviews that he has made). Hence the poor results.

I'd say that most of the blame falls on himself.

Please acquire a manager that can convince key players to stay, Levy.

Amazon documentary going to be spicy.

Last edited:

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
And for those that make fun of Sherwood. He took more points than Pochettino has managed for some time now. Says quite a lot about what Pochettino has managed in the league lately.

Here's more for those that make fun of Sherwood. Sherwood managed Tottenham for 22 league games, and garnered 42 points. An average of slightly under two points per game.

His results against the top four? Well, from four games against Manchester City, Liverpool, Chelsea and Arsenal, zero points with a combined score of 1-14. (A victory at Old Trafford isn't to be sniffed at, but that achievement is slightly diminished by the fact that in the opposition dugout was the legendary Scottish footballing knight, Sir David Moyes. In that same season, Newcastle United won at The Theatre of Increasingly Unsettling Dreams for the first time since 1972).

As for distractions from the league, the two domestic cup games Sherwood took charge of both ended in defeat (FA Cup third round, League Cup quarter-finals). His predecessor, Villas Boas, had won six out of six Europa League group games. Sherwood won one of four knockout ties, which led to Spurs' elimination in the round of sixteen.

In 2017/18, Pochettino also led Spurs to a European round of 16 tie that he lost - but that was in the Champions League. There was a run to the FA Cup semi-finals too. The cost of playing on multiple fronts? 77 points in the league. Better than two points per game - albeit, just.

After 26 games into last season, on 10 February, Spurs had 60 points. Well above two points per game. True, in the 24 league games since Spurs' results are pathetic. How much mitigation is there in reaching a first ever Champions League/old European Cup final despite their squad having received exactly no reinforcements in either transfer window? And that, mark you, immediately following a long World Cup season.

You diminish Pochettino's achievements since 2017, and use Sherwood's brief tenure running Spurs as a stick to beat him with. Even allowing for the domestic collapse of the last nine months, that's revisionism run wild.

Meanwhile, no criticism seems permissible of Levy, the architect of the 'no bodies in' manoeuvre of 2018-19.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Had to be done. Losing the CL broke that team's trust in him. They haven't had an ounce of swagger since. Poch would be smart to wait things out for a little bit. Lots of potentially great jobs are gonna be opening up soon. He will be just fine as I don't think his reputation has suffered one bit.

But Spurs? Stay the f*** away from Jose..... FAR away. You will get immediate results and in about 2-3 years he will flame out dramatically. The man is to football what John Tortorella is to hockey

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
You are aware that Sessegnon was terrible at Fulham last season and that Lo Celso was poor when he played for PSG, yes?

This is a poor reading of what I was saying. Missing players is going to hurt the team as a whole.

Yes, I have been watching less Spurs games because my mom has cancer and probably will die, so I'm busy. I've still seen enough.

Tottenham were in 7th place when AVB was sacked. Sherwood took them one position further up the table. It took me one minute to look this up so I'm not sure what your excuse is.
Pochettino wanted Sessegnon and Co. BTW.

Issue was that he wasn't allowed to sell the ex-Ajax players that are probably leading the revolt against him.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I think there’s a bit of a lesson to be learned here for managers in the future. Klopp implemented very strict discipline on players that could potentially cause issues in the clubhouse; sounds like that’s a big issue in this case. In modern football it’s pretty evident just how quickly the room can turn on a manager and we’ve seen time and time again that the players have more power in this situation.

Sounds like Poch was trying to cut out the bad spots but upper management wouldn’t let him. I can only guess who those players are...but I doubt it’s a good situation for whomever comes next. As we saw with Chelsea’s generation of coach eaters.

Reactions: Stray Wasp

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
Sherwood took over a team in trouble and managed 6th and 69 points. Probably better than Pochettino would have managed after building a team for 6 years. I know Sherwood is a #"%"# and that Pochettino is a much more charismatic man so.....

Under Villas Boas in 2013/14, Spurs won eight EPL games out of 16. He was sacked having won successive away games in the league.

'In trouble' in terms of reaching CL qualification, I agree, but on course for 19 wins out of 38 and 64 points. So Sherwood hardly righted a shipwreck.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
But Spurs? Stay the **** away from Jose..... FAR away. You will get immediate results and in about 2-3 years he will flame out dramatically. The man is to football what John Tortorella is to hockey

As a Jackets fan, I love Torts. The team is so much better for him being there and he is a great coach.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
I loved Torts too as a Lightning fan but unfortunately, you have to have a locker room that can tolerate him.

Tampa, the Rangers and Columbus played for him. Vancouver was an obvious failure and the fact that it happened in Canada amplified it.

I guarantee you if he won the Cup in Vancouver and failed in Tampa, he would a lock first ballot HOF'er

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
I think there’s a bit of a lesson to be learned here for managers in the future. Klopp implemented very strict discipline on players that could potentially cause issues in the clubhouse; sounds like that’s a big issue in this case. In modern football it’s pretty evident just how quickly the room can turn on a manager and we’ve seen time and time again that the players have more power in this situation.

Sounds like Poch was trying to cut out the bad spots but upper management wouldn’t let him. I can only guess who those players are...but I doubt it’s a good situation for whomever comes next. As we saw with Chelsea’s generation of coach eaters.

Klopp fell apart in Dortmund in his last year. And I thought it was pretty obvious that for some reason he'd lost the squad. They had some bad luck, sure, but no team with that much talent plays as sloppily and disinterested as Dortmund did especially the 1st half of that season if the manager is in full control.

I think coaches who rely on motivation over tactics tend to have a shelf life because eventually something will get between the coach and the key players, players become stars, players get entitlements, they hear what the coach is saying but listen to what other figures in their lives like agents, family members and buddies say instead. And once you're there it's difficult to reboot a relationship with someone you've worked with for 5+ years.

Klopp obviously has turned into a major success in Liverpool, so clearly he wasn't finished after he had lost the team in Dortmund. Poch may well benefit from this change of scenery more than Spurs do. Dortmund are still searching for a guy who could get even close to what Klopp did there..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad