Pochettino Out, Mourinho In

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Spurs have been a dumpster fire for more or less thirty years. So a good manager comes along, carries an average team to the CL final, wants to change the squad and isn't allowed to.

Clearly this is all his fault.

Isn't allowed to?

How many teams invested more than Spurs this summer? N'Dombele, Lo Celso and Sessegnon are nobody?

And since Levy is supposedly only thinking about money he didn't allow Pochettino to clear anyone out?

The fact is every single player maybe bar Son have looked average or worse this season. When a whole squad collapses the manager has to take some blame. And this goes back much further. Lose to City in the CL and Pochettino would have been long gone. Played like crap that spring and they have just continued now.

Maybe Pochettino ends up like Ferguson some other place, but his time was up at Spurs.

And for those that make fun of Sherwood. He took more points than Pochettino has managed for some time now. Says quite a lot about what Pochettino has managed in the league lately.

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
1950s - Tottenham Hotspur wins its first ever league title.
1960s - Tottenham Hotspur wins five major trophies.
1970s - Tottenham Hotspur wins three major trophies.
1980s - Tottenham Hotspur wins three major trophies.
1990s - Tottenham Hotspur wins two major trophies.

February 2001 - Daniel Levy takes over as Tottenham Hotspur chairman.
March 2001 - Days after a victory at West Ham set up an FA Cup semi-final against Arsenal, Daniel Levy sacks manager George Graham, who in 1999 had led Spurs to their most recent major trophy. It is alleged that Graham had complained to the media about having a 'limited budget' for transfers.
April 2001 - Six days before their FA Cup semi-final with Arsenal, Spurs appoint as manager their former playing legend and scourge of the disabled, Glenn Hoddle.
April 2001 - In Hoddle's first match in charge, Spurs loses the FA Cup semi-final to Arsenal.
April 2001-2019 Levy appoints and fires eight managers / head coaches. At least four technical directors/directors of football leave the club.

Tottenham Hotspur wins one major trophy.

Daniel Levy. Genius.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
That is Trump-like argumentation.

But no need to make this into a Levy-discussion. I remember a time when the biggest worry wasn´t not winning trophies, but being relegated and/or going bankrupt.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
I might say so is the above post.

You honestly think that was a good post? What kind of fruitful discussions could ever come from something so selective? Could easily make a 5 bullet point list of silly things Ferguson did as well. I´m lost for words over how pointless that post was.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Isn't allowed to?

How many teams invested more than Spurs this summer? N'Dombele, Lo Celso and Sessegnon are nobody?

I don't even know where to start with this.

And since Levy is supposedly only thinking about money he didn't allow Pochettino to clear anyone out?

Everyone without a contract for next season should have been cleared out so that the manager could spend that money on players who wanted to be there.

The fact is every single player maybe bar Son have looked average or worse this season. When a whole squad collapses the manager has to take some blame. And this goes back much further. Lose to City in the CL and Pochettino would have been long gone. Played like crap that spring and they have just continued now.

This can happen when a team loses a big final. This does not mean to drop the manager who gave the club the largest consistent success they've had in decades. He was also able to leave a few times and stayed loyal to the club, which is something other managers will no doubt remain aware of.

The goalkeeper has been injured at the same time they've been dropping points, and that does have an impact sometimes whether or not the replacement goalkeeper was doing their job properly.

And for those that make fun of Sherwood. He took more points than Pochettino has managed for some time now. Says quite a lot about what Pochettino has managed in the league lately.

This is by some distance the worst comment I have ever read here. Very Trump-like indeed. Hopefully Spurs hire another Sherwood and fall into the abyss.

Reactions: Stray Wasp

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
In the middle of a meeting my alert goes off and I audiblly gasped. They asked what was wrong and 2 people had idea what I was talking about, but my co-worker from Colombia laughed at me as he knows how big of a Tottenham supporter I am.

It's going to be him, isn't it?

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015
Spurs were shit before the fluke CL run and he's underachieved with the talent that he had. Funny how a team with talents like Kane, Son, Alli, Vert, Toby, Eriksen, N'Dombele and Lo Celso is now considered average.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Clearly you have very little knowledge about Spurs.

You don´t know where to start? Why not? Buying 3 top class talents isn´t relevant?

Point two. Right. And you believe Levy stopped that? Or what is your point?

Yes. Lloris has been the problem. Do you even watch Spurs games except for when they play Liverpool? I doubt it.

Yes. Worst comment. Holy hyperbole. That might be the worst. Sherwood took over a team in trouble and managed 6th and 69 points. Probably better than Pochettino would have managed after building a team for 6 years. I know Sherwood is a #"%"# and that Pochettino is a much more charismatic man so.....

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Spurs were **** before the fluke CL run and he's underachieved with the talent that he had. Funny how a team with talents like Kane, Son, Alli, Vert, Toby, Eriksen, N'Dombele and Lo Celso is now considered average.

But remember. Lloris has missed some games so....

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Spurs were **** before the fluke CL run and he's underachieved with the talent that he had. Funny how a team with talents like Kane, Son, Alli, Vert, Toby, Eriksen, N'Dombele and Lo Celso is now considered average.

Most of those players were nowhere near their current level until Poch was at Tottenham. That is something people should keep in mind.

Alderweireld in particular was an Atletico reject. Kane had never done anything of value in football. Lo Celso was been out for a month. Vertonghen has also been injured.

This is an extremely short sighted decision.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Clearly you have very little knowledge about Spurs.

You don´t know where to start? Why not? Buying 3 top class talents isn´t relevant?

You are aware that Sessegnon was terrible at Fulham last season and that Lo Celso was poor when he played for PSG, yes?

Yes. Lloris has been the problem. Do you even watch Spurs games except for when they play Liverpool? I doubt it.

This is a poor reading of what I was saying. Missing players is going to hurt the team as a whole.

Yes, I have been watching less Spurs games because my mom has cancer and probably will die, so I'm busy. I've still seen enough.

Yes. Worst comment. Holy hyperbole. That might be the worst. Sherwood took over a team in trouble and managed 6th and 69 points. Probably better than Pochettino would have managed after building a team for 6 years. I know Sherwood is a #"%"# and that Pochettino is a much more charismatic man so.....

Tottenham were in 7th place when AVB was sacked. Sherwood took them one position further up the table. It took me one minute to look this up so I'm not sure what your excuse is.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Haha. Stop it.

And Pochettino got nothing to do with neither of these players, and many more, not having been close to their level 1-3 years ago lately?

Chelsea should never have sacked Mourinho the first place with this logic.

But keep on pretending that you know anything about Spurs. No-one can know on a message board right.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Haha. Stop it.

And Pochettino got nothing to do with neither of these players, and many more, not having been close to their level 1-3 years ago lately?

Chelsea should never have sacked Mourinho the first place with this logic.

But keep on pretending that you know anything about Spurs. No-one can know on a message board right.

You're really off on one right now. It's not like Spurs are anywhere near as good as the Chelsea team Mourinho failed to consistently manage to good results.

When Spurs consistently goes back to their usual position in the table, we'll see how you feel. What we have here is a situation where the manager had said the squad needed serious refreshing, that he'd done all with them that he could do. Levy felt otherwise. Levy was wrong. He sacked the manager because he was wrong.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
You are aware that Sessegnon was terrible at Fulham last season and that Lo Celso was poor when he played for PSG, yes?

This is a poor reading of what I was saying. Missing players is going to hurt the team as a whole.

Yes, I have been watching less Spurs games because my mom has cancer and probably will die, so I'm busy. I've still seen enough.

Tottenham were in 7th place when AVB was sacked. Sherwood took them one position further up the table. It took me one minute to look this up so I'm not sure what your excuse is.

You know Lo Celso didn´t play for PSG last year right? Strange how Salah is better now than he was at Chelsea. Or that City shouldn´t really count on de Bruyne as he wasn´t always this good before.

Missing players is one thing. Being outplayed by the likes of Brighton, lucky to get a point against Sheffield etc. is another.

Did I say Sherwood did a brilliant job? He still took more points and improved a team with far worse players than Pochettino has got.

I´m not saying Pochettino doesn´t deserve credit for the job he did. I did even argue at a point he was just as good as Klopp. The football Spurs played in 16/17 was the best I have ever seen Spurs play. I will always respect him for that. But that is not the Pochettino Spurs have had for quite some time. He used to be positive, brave etc. Now he moans about every little thing, subs on a 5 defender home against Sheffield United etc. He is a completely different man than he used to be. Wish him well, but it was time for Spurs to move on - and for him.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
You're really off on one right now. It's not like Spurs are anywhere near as good as the Chelsea team Mourinho failed to consistently manage to good results.

When Spurs consistently goes back to their usual position in the table, we'll see how you feel. What we have here is a situation where the manager had said the squad needed serious refreshing, that he'd done all with them that he could do. Levy felt otherwise. Levy was wrong. He sacked the manager because he was wrong.

You mean around top 4 which they have been since Jol?

Pochettino has had 2 seasons that were better - one significantly - than Jol, Redknapp and AVB managed. The rest are not that much better - if at all.

When Redknapp bought big he brought in Palacios and Defoe. Most people probably don´t even know who Palacios was any longer. He was our saviour in midfield.

Spurs could end up with a Moyes, a Klopp or something in between. Of course, but we were already closing in on having a Moyes so...

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
You know Lo Celso didn´t play for PSG last year right? Strange how Salah is better now than he was at Chelsea. Or that City shouldn´t really count on de Bruyne as he wasn´t always this good before.

I think everyone knows this, yes.

Did I say Sherwood did a brilliant job? He still took more points and improved a team with far worse players than Pochettino has got.

Again I'm not sure how to respond to this because this is entirely lacking context and doesn't make sense. Poch has done more with his team than Tactics Tim has ever done in his life.

I´m not saying Pochettino doesn´t deserve credit for the job he did. I did even argue at a point he was just as good as Klopp. The football Spurs played in 16/17 was the best I have ever seen Spurs play. I will always respect him for that. But that is not the Pochettino Spurs have had for quite some time. He used to be positive, brave etc. Now he moans about every little thing, subs on a 5 defender home against Sheffield United etc. He is a completely different man than he used to be. Wish him well, but it was time for Spurs to move on.

Managers get mad when their chairmen don't do what they want. This is just the way it is. He said he wanted the squad changed over because he didn't think he could get the results required, and Levy didn't want to do that. Then the squad did exactly what Poch thought they would do and he got sacked for it. I don't understand why anyone would do that. This seems more reason to let the manager do what they want.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
You mean around top 4 which they have been since Jol?

Pochettino has had 2 seasons that were better - one significantly - than Jol, Redknapp and AVB managed. The rest are not that much better - if at all.

When Redknapp bought big he brought in Palacios and Defoe. Most people probably don´t even know who Palacios was any longer. He was our saviour in midfield.

Spurs could end up with a Moyes, a Klopp or something in between. Of course, but we were already closing in on having a Moyes so...

This all started when Poch took a striker who performed poorly on his loans, put him in his team and built the team around him. Hardly anyone else would have the stones to do something like that.

Not one other manager in the history of Tottenham Hotspur has ever taken them to the Champions League or European Cup two seasons in a row. Not any manager in the history of that club. To compare that to Moyes is absolutely laughable and shows there's nothing productive to come of this, so I'm done.

Reactions: Stray Wasp

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Pochettino clearly stayed too long, but a strange time to get rid of him. For all the Jose talk, I cannot picture him working well with Levy. Something it rotten at Tottenham and it’s easier to fire the coach than the players. Pochettino will land on his feet and probably get a better post. Hard to see Tottenham going up from here.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Or sack them.

Most (or at least many) seemed to agree before the season Spurs were the only team that could realistically challenge Liverpool and City.

Pure speculation as too who wanted what during the summer. Not impossible that your version is the correct one. Not denying that at all. Still doesn´t explain how Spurs have been crap for much longer than this season - and why Pochettino still couldn´t get more out of what he got.

Also when he got 3 potential first team players in - as well as young players like Parrot being included in squads - how much more of a refreshening did he need for it to work?

The squad did change. If he wanted more we are hardly talking about 5 more right? So he will moan, sulk and give up because he didn´t get 1 or 2 more?

Not to mention rumours among journalists following Spurs before the window was that Spurs wanted Lo Celso, N´Dombele, Sessegnon and Clarke. There is even a tweet listing them from one journalist. My guess Pochettino got it more or less as he wanted it - or close enough to be happy about it. Even Guardiola doesn´t get everything he wants.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Pochettino clearly stayed too long, but a strange time to get rid of him. For all the Jose talk, I cannot picture him working well with Levy. Something it rotten at Tottenham and it’s easier to fire the coach than the players. Pochettino will land on his feet and probably get a better post. Hard to see Tottenham going up from here.

He should have left the moment another club was interested. If the chairman isn't going to do what the manager wants, there's no reason to stay there.

It's pretty clear what's rotten, to me anyway. When someone sacks a manager who made the CL final after spending nothing that summer and shedding a key player to China in mid-season, they have completely lost their mind. You let the man finish the season at least and see what happens.

Reactions: S E P H

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad