GDT: PO Game 6 | Columbus vs. Washington | 4/23 7:30PM | CNBC, FSOhio

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Milano should be in over Dubinsky , heaven for bid we ice a team that’s quick , and makes Washington skate . Anderson needs to get his head in the game , ultimate disappointment so far this series . Also , let’s hope Wennberg doesn’t play tentative again this game . We need guys flying tonight . Gut feeling we win 5-2 tonight , and Bob finally holds below that 3 goal threshold .

GoJackets1

Someday.
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
There is no luck if you have men in the war zone.

The Eller goal in example was pure skill in positioning and he was rewarded, rightfully, for being the best overtime player that night. It ain't luck but an earned privilege, not by birth but by play.

In another example the Panarin-Dubois-Atkinson line had no way into the opponent's war zone in these couple last games because Atkinson's game does not fit the puzzle so it ain't no chance. I would expect this experiment to be over by period two.

Then we have the solitary man Calvert who plays his own dividual war, best with the non-offensive Dubinsky as his center, even then putting up a pretty meager show. In the long game I believe Calvert's position opening up would strengthen up the Blue Jackets numbers if one would not anymore be one but many.
Yeah, it was pure skill that allowed the puck to bounce off Bob, then Z, then Eller, then Z again, and then Eller again into the net.

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

GoJackets1

Someday.
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
Milano should be in over Dubinsky , heaven for bid we ice a team that’s quick , and makes Washington skate . Anderson needs to get his head in the game , ultimate disappointment so far this series . Also , let’s hope Wennberg doesn’t play tentative again this game . We need guys flying tonight . Gut feeling we win 5-2 tonight , and Bob finally holds below that 3 goal threshold .
Take Dubi out and that's probably automatically one less powerplay for the Caps.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
There is no luck if you have men in the war zone.

The Eller goal in example was pure skill in positioning and he was rewarded, rightfully, for being the best overtime player that night. It ain't luck but an earned privilege, not by birth but by play.

Yeah. Right. Your European bias just hit the absurd level.

Eller is a run of the mill 3rd line player who has the passion level of a loaf of bread. I watched him for years with Montreal.

Reactions: We Want Ten

213 Sentinel

Jul 2, 2006
Marysville, Ohio

Completely agree about Anderson. I suppose he's a bit snake-bitten after his major/misconduct in Game 1, but he needs to shake that off right f***ing now because there won't be another opportunity after tonight if he doesn't play his game.

Reactions: The Bread Man

GoJackets1

Someday.
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
Completely agree about Anderson. I suppose he's a bit snake-bitten after his major/misconduct in Game 1, but he needs to shake that off right ****ing now because there won't be another opportunity after tonight if he doesn't play his game.
I expect the whole team to come out flying tonight, similar to the first post-deadline game. If I detect any sort of timidity, especially after how game 4 went, I'm going to be royally disappointed.

Reactions: CPTN71

Ruudukkopupuset

Mar 29, 2018
Yeah. Right. Your European bias just hit the absurd level.

Eller is a run of the mill 3rd line player who has the passion level of a loaf of bread. I watched him for years with Montreal.

How that changes Eller doing fine stuff in that overtime before scoring a fantastically positioned, off the puck skill goal. "Acerbic" said the fox of rowanberries.

Finns (as in the 1800s creation of nation imagined by Runeberg, Topelius, Snellman and the university institute) then consist of different feuding tribes including the Savonians (Jarmo Kekäläinen), Karelians, Ostrobothians, Lapps, Tavastians and these "Finns Proper" who were first coloniazed by Christendom and the Swedes while we had our freedom and gods in the dense wilderness. The main separating line in Finland is genetical, linguistic (in west the sauna whisk made of birch is called "vihta" while in east it is "vasta") and cultural which goes between West Finns and East Finns, already highlighted in the 1323 peace treaty of Nut Island. I am Savonian-Karelian, of the East Finns and I won't put my sword into the scabbard until Karelia is free.

In example Nutivaara is a West Finn of a tar city which makes our love forbidden. Calling us Europeans only makes our Mongolian blood boil as the "Finnish" genome differs from others in "Europe" and "Asia" while we are at it as studies have now shown.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Interesting analysis from Captain C, hopefully I can post here .

Is Player Usage Costing Jackets a Playoff Series?

Tortorella’s player usage in this series suggests that some old school thoughts about playoff hockey may be leading to the Jackets deploying players in a sub-optimal manner. In a series defined by close games and, more importantly, overtime games, choices in player deployment can be the difference between being up 3-2 and being down 3-2.
Let’s take the case of Oliver Bjorkstrand. Bjorkstrand finished the season with a 5-on-5 CF% of 51.64 percent and was fifth on the team with 40 points. Furthermore, Bjorkstrand had become a very solid player at both ends at the ice, something that Tortorella had him focused on at the start of the season. Yet, through five games of this series, the only players with less time-on-ice than Bjorkstrand were Alexander Wennberg (who has only played in two games due to injury), Mark Letestu, and Sonny Milano(a healthy scratch for Game 5). After scoring a goal in Game 5, Torts finally started playing Bjorkstrand more in the rest of the game and the result was a number of solid shifts where the puck was held in the Caps zone–something the Jackets have struggled with in this series. Bjorkstrand’s line had two of the best opportunities in the overtime period of Game 5.
One of the players getting less ice time than Bjorkstrand is Milano, who was a healthy scratch for Game 5, but played little to no minutes in the prior four games. Like Bjorkstrand, Milano had a positive 5-on-5 CF% of 50.91 percent. He put up 14 goals in only 55 games and his return to the lineup was one of the things that helped the Jackets down the stretch. In fact, Milano was paired with Bjorkstrand on a line centered by Nick Folignothat provided a scoring threat when the top line wasn’t on the ice during a part of March. That line was scuttled by Foligno’s injury

If the Jackets want to take it to Washington tomorrow, John Tortorella needs to face his fears and embrace the fact that speed and skill is what wins games in hockey in 2018, even in the playoffs. Yes, Milano will make mistakes, but so have the guys who have played in place of him. Show faith in your young players. They are the future of this team and they didn’t let you down for the 82 games that preceded this series. Don’t abandon them now because of fear, embrace them as your hope. Depth is your advantage, press your advantage. Divide playing time more equally not just because you expect these games to go to overtime, but because it is to your advantage even over 60 minutes of hockey. Torts needs to think about his own motto in a new way. When it comes to coaching playoff games in 2018, Safe Is Death.

CarolinaBlueJacket

Mar 3, 2011
North Carolina
How that changes Eller doing fine stuff in that overtime before scoring a fantastically positioned, off the puck skill goal. "Acerbic" said the fox of rowanberries.

Finns (as in the 1800s creation of nation imagined by Runeberg, Topelius, Snellman and the university institute) then consist of different feuding tribes including the Savonians (Jarmo Kekäläinen), Karelians, Ostrobothians, Lapps, Tavastians and these "Finns Proper" who were first coloniazed by Christendom and the Swedes while we had our freedom and gods in the dense wilderness. The main separating line in Finland is genetical, linguistic (in west the sauna whisk made of birch is called "vihta" while in east it is "vasta") and cultural which goes between West Finns and East Finns, already highlighted in the 1323 peace treaty of Nut Island. I am Savonian-Karelian, of the East Finns and I won't put my sword into the scabbard until Karelia is free.

In example Nutivaara is a West Finn of a tar city which makes our love forbidden. Calling us Europeans only makes our Mongolian blood boil as the "Finnish" genome differs from others in "Europe" and "Asia" while we are at it as studies have now shown.

1qeqNS.gif
Me in the window seat

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
Won’t get to watch or post tonight and also fully expecting this to be the last game of the year. Hoping to check the scores around 10pm and be pleasantly surprised.

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Darn. That’s just wrong. Wish I were in CBus to be at the arena.

There are roughly 400 tickets left on ticketmaster. I just got a text from the CBJ that allows me to purchase a Sky Terrace seat for $40. I'm not gung ho about 2 hours of rain driving but I'll probably do it.

EDIT; **************I snoozed and I lost. All those tix are gone******************Ima bigdummy

One thing that I've noticed about CBJ ticket buyers is that hardly any tickets seem to get sold on game day. Almost everyone who goes to games seems to buy tickets well in advance.

Last edited:

Jive Pawnbroker

One day next week
Feb 18, 2009
on SCTV

Your mother was a hamster and your father smelled of elderberries.

Now go away before I taunt you a second time.

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn
I don't know what to expect tonight. Heart and head both seem to agree that the Jackets aren't able to get up for the game and we don't see a game 7. Last game was a fine game, but pretty disappointing to lose a game when Calvert gets 2 and Bjorkstrand gets 1. Both good players (Calvert Jacket for life, I hope and pray) but with those 3 goals from secondary scorers, we "should" have won. One other goal from a top player and this would be a chance to close it out at home.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Interesting analysis from Captain C, hopefully I can post here .

Is Player Usage Costing Jackets a Playoff Series?

Tortorella’s player usage in this series suggests that some old school thoughts about playoff hockey may be leading to the Jackets deploying players in a sub-optimal manner. In a series defined by close games and, more importantly, overtime games, choices in player deployment can be the difference between being up 3-2 and being down 3-2.
Let’s take the case of Oliver Bjorkstrand. Bjorkstrand finished the season with a 5-on-5 CF% of 51.64 percent and was fifth on the team with 40 points. Furthermore, Bjorkstrand had become a very solid player at both ends at the ice, something that Tortorella had him focused on at the start of the season. Yet, through five games of this series, the only players with less time-on-ice than Bjorkstrand were Alexander Wennberg (who has only played in two games due to injury), Mark Letestu, and Sonny Milano(a healthy scratch for Game 5). After scoring a goal in Game 5, Torts finally started playing Bjorkstrand more in the rest of the game and the result was a number of solid shifts where the puck was held in the Caps zone–something the Jackets have struggled with in this series. Bjorkstrand’s line had two of the best opportunities in the overtime period of Game 5.
One of the players getting less ice time than Bjorkstrand is Milano, who was a healthy scratch for Game 5, but played little to no minutes in the prior four games. Like Bjorkstrand, Milano had a positive 5-on-5 CF% of 50.91 percent. He put up 14 goals in only 55 games and his return to the lineup was one of the things that helped the Jackets down the stretch. In fact, Milano was paired with Bjorkstrand on a line centered by Nick Folignothat provided a scoring threat when the top line wasn’t on the ice during a part of March. That line was scuttled by Foligno’s injury

If the Jackets want to take it to Washington tomorrow, John Tortorella needs to face his fears and embrace the fact that speed and skill is what wins games in hockey in 2018, even in the playoffs. Yes, Milano will make mistakes, but so have the guys who have played in place of him. Show faith in your young players. They are the future of this team and they didn’t let you down for the 82 games that preceded this series. Don’t abandon them now because of fear, embrace them as your hope. Depth is your advantage, press your advantage. Divide playing time more equally not just because you expect these games to go to overtime, but because it is to your advantage even over 60 minutes of hockey. Torts needs to think about his own motto in a new way. When it comes to coaching playoff games in 2018, Safe Is Death.

Great stuff.

The age of the stifling defense as the way to win hockey games is dead. Thank God.

Torts had best realize this by 730pm EST tonite.

CarolinaBlueJacket

Mar 3, 2011
North Carolina
Foligno and Dubinsky need to step up tonight and score, stay out of the box, make good passes and win important faceoffs. So far they have on assist (Foligno), no goals, 5 minor panalties, -2. These two contracts are going to cripple the jackets for years to come.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad