Post-Game Talk: PO Game #3 | Rangers 4 at Flyers 1

onlylordsvsmorebp

HEAVYHOCKEY ENTHUSIAST
Dec 27, 2011
VAN ISLE CANADA
nj.com-berube said he hasnt made his mind up on who is gonna start game 4.

''we'll look at it,''he said.''we got a couple of days to figure it out,get some practice time and then i will make a decision''.WUT?

hmmmm...you put him in late in game 3,which sort of points to the fact hes physically ready. he is your starter all season. emery has proven to be a liability in goal so....

...to quote BENNYSFLYERS16 ''Just name him the starter and stop ****ing around berube!:rant:

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
I think you are remembering wrong. My only Mez vs. Gus argument was that the job was Mez's to lose because he has shown over a longer time period that he is the better player. I repeatedly said that if Gus won the job in camp I have no problem giving him the spot. The counter to that argument was that Gus had already won the job based on his 60 NHL games and Mez had lost the job based on his injury plagued previous season. That was something with which I did not (and still do not) agree. Mez was written off before the season started because Gus had earned the spot and even if he didn't he should be given first crack because he was better (based on 60 games over three NHL seasons and 11 games coming off an injury). Too small a sample size to write a guy off, and too small a sample size to say a guy is established.

I honestly don't remember saying that, but even if I did, it was likely after Gus had played in 30 NHL games over two seasons. I'd probably still stand by that. It was like my feelings on Akeson vs. Downie going in to the playoffs. If it were me, I would have started Downie. Why? because I haven't seen enough of Akeson at the NHL to say what he is. Outside of his blunder game one Akeson has played well. But that doesn't mean I'm an ******* for wanting to go with an established player (albeit a slumping one) over a wild card. Would the Flyers have won game one if Downie played? Who knows? But I'm always going to give deference to the guy that has been there before. Sometimes you'll be right, sometimes you'll be wrong, but the safest bet is to go with what you know.

That is far from what I recall. My recollection was that Gus HAD earned the spot going into the season.

I'm no advanced stats experts, but Mez's CORSI rating appears to be better than Gus's, as does his QoC ratings. It looks like he had slightly more offensive zone starts than Gus, so I am not sure if you are accurate with what you are saying about the harder competition or playing better. You might be, I honestly don't know how to read these stats. Maybe you could site to something to clarify?

:cry:

What is that :cry: for?

I hope it's not directed at me. You write way too much and we're going in circles.

Btw I didn't read the rest of your post and I don't plan on it. Again I'm done arguing this, we've done this in countless threads and even in PMs to a point. Quite frankly, I just don't care enough what you believe.

Last edited:

jabba2

Oct 28, 2010
If he still isnt feeling well on Friday, then Berube cant go with Mason. Simple as that. But my expectations for winning Game 4 will be much lower. Flyers also need to start roughing up Rangers D. They seemed too finesse in the Rangers zone Tuesday.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Mason's been the starter all season and will start Friday if he's fully healthy.

I'm only worried that he will be rusty after not starting a game in almost two weeks.

onlylordsvsmorebp

HEAVYHOCKEY ENTHUSIAST
Dec 27, 2011
VAN ISLE CANADA
Who knows what he's thinking but other than backing some people off the ledge here what real upside is there to make a decision this early & then making it publicly?

I'll worry about it when the decision is actually made, is my point.

i was just kidding...the more time between games the better as far as the mason situation goes,and your right there is no point in making a decision yet.let alone make it public.honestly though i do think the decision has been made...if mason is sound and doing well in practice...he starts.i really believe what we are hearing from berube is just nhl playoff coachspeak.

Last edited:

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Rusty Mason >> Emery

Rusty_Mason_com_hdr.gif

This guy looks like he can backstop the Flyers to a win!

n62

Oct 18, 2011
Dry Island
nj.com-berube said he hasnt made his mind up on who is gonna start game 4.

''we'll look at it,''he said.''we got a couple of days to figure it out,get some practice time and then i will make a decision''.WUT?

hmmmm...you put him in late in game 3,which sort of points to the fact hes physically ready. he is your starter all season. emery has proven to be a liability in goal so....

...to quote BENNYSFLYERS16 ''Just name him the starter and stop ****ing around berube!:rant:

It's the playoffs. Nobody tips their hand this far before a game.

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
I hope Mason is well enough to play and well enough to play well.

I hope he can inject a little chemistry or a feeling of shaking things up to get the team going. Rangers probably prefer Emery in net to Mason.

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
That was complete ********. To show such character to come back to then throw it all away with the most gutless display of stupidity and sheer ineptitude... Simmonds must have had a pre-game lobotomy, ****ing moron's performance. Schenn had yet another game where everything he tried failed and G was just absent again. Whatever the Rangers are doing on him, it's working.

The refs were ***** too. Utter *****.

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada
I'm trying to be patient and not pass judgement, but this is becoming a nightmare.

goalie carosuel v.2.0

if for some reason Berube actualy starts Emery in game 4, and the **** show continues , i fully suspect he will have sealed his fate here as head coach for next year..

i think Snider will explode if we have a goalie circus that leads to rinsing out of this series, while bouncing back n forth with Mason coming into games late (when its to late)

Last edited:

blinds

Jan 5, 2012
Not even Berube would be dumb enough to start Emery again, would he? Look at Emery's interview, he knows he ****ed up. A .750SV% at even strength is inexcusable.

ILoveStephanieBrown

Nov 6, 2012
Berube was in a no win position as far as the goalie situation anyway. Had he gone with Mason, and he stinks up the joint, he would have had fans and media saying he should have stuck with Ray, who just won them gm2, over a cold/rusty goalie. Had he gone with Emery and he played ******, which happened, then people would get on him for not starting Mason who is apparently now 100 %, which is happening.

That being said I still would have went with Mason

blinds

Jan 5, 2012
Berube was in a no win position as far as the goalie situation anyway. Had he gone with Mason, and he stinks up the joint, he would have had fans and media saying he should have stuck with Ray, who just won them gm2, over a cold/rusty goalie. Had he gone with Emery and he played ******, which happened, then people would get on him for not starting Mason who is apparently now 100 %, which is happening.

That being said I still would have went with Mason

I don't know, I don't think you could fault him for going with his starter. It's not like Emery even played that great in game 2, those 2 goals he let in weren't great. He made a couple saves that kept us in it, but that's whats expected come playoffs.

ILoveStephanieBrown

Nov 6, 2012
I don't know, I don't think you could fault him for going with his starter. It's not like Emery even played that great in game 2, those 2 goals he let in weren't great. He made a couple saves that kept us in it, but that's whats expected come playoffs.

I sure wouldn't have, and Im sure a lot of others here wouldn't have. Im talking about the average know nothing fan and beat writers who want to stir up drama and criticize everything that doesn't work out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad