Post-Game Talk: PO Game #3 | Rangers 4 at Flyers 1

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
That's not somthing I would associate with you. :laugh:

Gervais is better then Gus. Mez is better then Gus. Leighton is a good back-up. Need I go on?

The Leighton thing is the only real one that was a bad call.

Gervais and Mez getting the nod over Gus was based on the fact that Gus had played in only a handful of games and I was not ready to just throw away two guys like Mez and Gervais based on such a small sample size. To me, that doesn't make a lot of sense. But Gus is crowd pleaser so people don't like that I wasn't ready to hand him the job. Since then I have said I have no problem with him getting the starts over guys like Mez and Grossmann because those two had seriously hit a downslope while Gus had played well. But after 30 NHL games I wasn't ready to throw Gus in over Gervais, and after 60 I wasn't ready to throw him in over Mez. But yeah, my critical thinking is off because I didn't want to hand some unknown kid a job over a veteran based on such a small sample size compared to a much larger sample size. I am crazy for thinking that a veteran (just two years older than the golden boy) could rebound and for thinking that the young guy might possibly not play as well as people hope (and hadn't played as well as people are making him out to have played in those first handful of games).

BackToTheBrierePatch

Justice for Cricket
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
Yeah, it's insane; the opposite of Rangers fans, who think Lundqvist has crapped the bed if he gives up 2 goals.

A bunch of our fanbase seems to have forgotten that in the POs, sometimes you just need to win games 1-0 or 2-1 in OT. And that's probably not an option if your coach elects to start the backup goalie over the starter who is 1) a better player, and 2) apparently healthy enough to play.

yup. exactly. Many in the fanbase are so used to average goaltending and defense that they have accepted it and focused the blame on the forwards.
The Flyers are not built to win in the playoffs. They are a good regular season team and that's it.
40 years without a cup and we don't need a new way of thinking.
nope.

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
The Leighton thing is the only real one that was a bad call.

Gervais and Mez getting the nod over Gus was based on the fact that Gus had played in only a handful of games and I was not ready to just throw away two guys like Mez and Gervais based on such a small sample size. To me, that doesn't make a lot of sense. But Gus is crowd pleaser so people don't like that I wasn't ready to hand him the job. Since then I have said I have no problem with him getting the starts over guys like Mez and Grossmann because those two had seriously hit a downslope while Gus had played well. But after 30 NHL games I wasn't ready to throw Gus in over Gervais, and after 60 I wasn't ready to throw him in over Mez. But yeah, my critical thinking is off because I didn't want to hand some unknown kid a job over a veteran based on such a small sample size compared to a much larger sample size. I am crazy for thinking that a veteran (just two years older than the golden boy) could rebound and for thinking that the young guy might possibly not play as well as people hope (and hadn't played as well as people are making him out to have played in those first handful of games).

That's the biggest issue here. You think the likes of Mez, Grossmann and Gervais were/are more then they ever were. They were successful only in sheltered minutes, nothing more then 3rd pairing d-men and Gervais was more like a #7.

And again, no one said hand Gus the job. You made that up. It's give the inexperienced player an opportunity to show if he can be something. Considering who he would be playing over it wasn't a stretch to think he could be as good or better for the Flyers now and in the future.

Saying Gus wasn't better then Gervias is a bad call. You can't spin that any other way.

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
I'm not defending Grossmann here but Timonen has been easily the worst defensemen this series thus far.

He looks like he should be playing with a walker out there.

He sure doesn't look like someone who should be offered another 6M contract next season... his hot mid season streak let everybody forget how poorly he played at the begin of the season and now he has become a non-factor again at the worst possible time. Maybe it's time to move on and accept the Timonen era is over for good :(

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
I think I might have said this already, but it's simply very hard to win a series when Read, Schenn, Lecavalier are all crapping the bed while NYR's whole gameplan of "focus on Giroux and shut him down" is succeeding...while the coach minimizes the ice time of a "fire in his soul" Voracek, maximizes the ice time of Grossmann, rolls out the 4th line at the worst times possible, our starter misses two games, and the coach sits him in a 3rd game because it feels good.

The series isn't over, but considering all that, it would be really embarrassing for NYR if they lose out. So far the Flyers have shot themselves in the foot until they heard clicks, then reloaded and fired a few more to be sure. And New York has had little problem taking advantage.

Chief need to split up G and Voracek IMO. They are our two best players, in a situation like this they should split them up.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
I see DFF is doing his usual "I'm gonna pick the opposite opinion of everyone to ultimately agree to disagree after a bazillion pages" thing.

Anyhow, Emery is the biggest one at fault here if were talking players. Berube isn't a player so I'll leave him out of this post.

There's a massive skill gap between Giroux and the rest of our scorers. Everyone else is either a 60'ish point player with little defensive or utilities capability (Hartnell, Voracek, Simmonds, Lecavalier and Schenn) or guys who can't carry an offense for whatever reason but are useful in most other ways (Couturier and Read mainly). If Giroux is **** down we can't rely on scoring like we do in the regular season. In the regular season you have matchups in best of seven series so you can't get away with being overly reliant on any single player.

Were playing the Rangers. They're known as a tight team with a great goalie. You're going to have a lot of low scoring games when you're playing them and they're playing okay. The Flyers just don't have a coach that's smart with lineup or ice-time decisions and have a really weird mish mash of players after Giroux that represent a big drop-off in talent. They're going to have to get quality goaltending to win the series and it's been sub-par at best.

Sometimes you have to win low scoring games. Offenses go through ebbs and flows for every team, it's what happens. Last night was one of those games against a team we can't expect to light up a ton anyway and Emery blew it. If we get strong goaltending consistently were probably up 2-1 right now and it's as simple as that.

The roster isn't put well together and it's Homers fault that the design of it is pretty bad while it's Nerubes fault that it doesn't put out the best roster often enough. I know those things and I've talked about them before, as have others.

As far as last night goes, it's on Berube and Emery mostly. Berube is stubborn and stupid with lineup/ice-time decisions and Emery was pretty soft and outplayed by the other goalie. The officiating has been **** this series too but that's another thing entirely.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
That's the biggest issue here. You think the likes of Mez, Grossmann and Gervais were/are more then they ever were. They were successful only in sheltered minutes, nothing more then 3rd pairing d-men and Gervais was more like a #7.

Grossmann was one of our best defenseman last season. He wasn't really in the conversation to be benched until really the second half of the season. Mez, was a lot more than a third pairing defensemen prior to injuries, and played well in his last big chunk of games before going down. I was not ready to just call his career over because of an injury on his part and parts of three seasons of play from some other guy that ranged from slightly below average at times to slightly above average at times. That seems like terrible management and coaching. Gervais you are right was a #7 defender and I don't think I ever claimed him to be any more (maybe a #6?). I don't really remember my Gervais vs. Gus argument, but I imagine it went similar to the Mez argument...Gervais was a veteran #6/7 defenseman, you don't just all of the sudden lose a spot because a guy is younger than you and had a decent stretch of games spanning parts of a couple seasons. You have to earn your spot, and eventually he did.

And again, no one said hand Gus the job. You made that up. It's give the inexperienced player an opportunity to show if he can be something. Considering who he would be playing over it wasn't a stretch to think he could be as good or better for the Flyers now and in the future.

Lol, no one ever said that? Going into training camp last season it was a foregone conclusion on these boards that Gus should be given the #6 spot over Mez because his 60 games made him a top 4 defender to some (if you don't remember people saying that, you will have to recall many saying that Gus was an unequivocally better player than Mez based on 60 games spread out over three seasons). I said from the beginnign that the job was Mez's and Gus had to earn it. If he had a better camp, start him. If Mez slumps, put him in. This POV was unacceptable and I was a fool because Gus was clearly the better player and it was Gus's job to lose, not the other way around.

Saying Gus wasn't better then Gervias is a bad call. You can't spin that any other way.

Again, I think that is a perfectly reasonable statement to make given the timeframe in which it was made. Gus had played 30 games in his career. Unless they are a guy with a good pedigree who has lit up other leagues, I am not going to say he's better than anyone currently playing in the NHL based on 30 games of at best slightly better than average performances for PARTS of those 30 games. Now if you asked me to choose between Gus and Gervais, I'd go Gus every time. If you asked me after a brief stint in the NHL, I'd probably say what I think I said then...go with the veteran until he shows you something else or until the kid shows you something else.

Mayo Masseuse

Tinariwen Riddum
May 16, 2010
The Dunes of Neptune
After reading 90% of the posts in this thread, then spending too much time while at work concocting a sensible, analytical, and well thought out response, my computer prompted that I must restart (mandatory due to the nature of my work) and I lost it all.

I even got an excel file going with formulas stipulating milk to mass ratio needed for the entire New York fan base. And the amount needed to incapacitate Lumdquist, the king of cow cream.

Sooner or later I will stop the milk references.

I considerably agree with most things stated by Beef.

I feel Vinny should head back to the 4th line and maybe read/raffl should play with G and Voracek.
I think everyone agrees here that Voracek needs more TOI.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
No injury, no history, & weird little play. I'm not shocked.

I don't know why anybody continues to be surprised by this sort of thing anymore. Richard wasn't suspended for the much more blatant play, when he elbowed Kaleta coming in for a hit. Steckel got nothing for a similar collision with Crosby, that actually injured Crosby.

Why would they suddenly change with Read?

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
I don't know why anybody continues to be surprised by this sort of thing anymore. Richard wasn't suspended for the much more blatant play, when he elbowed Kaleta coming in for a hit. Steckel got nothing for a similar collision with Crosby, that actually injured Crosby.

Why would they suddenly change with Read?

because-its-the-cup-banner.jpg

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
After reading 90% of the posts in this thread, then spending too much time while at work concocting a sensible, analytical, and well thought out response, my computer prompted that I must restart (mandatory due to the nature of my work) and I lost it all.

I even got an excel file going with formulas stipulating milk to mass ratio needed for the entire New York fan base. And the amount needed to incapacitate Lumdquist, the king of cow cream.

Sooner or later I will stop the milk references.

I considerably agree with most things stated by Beef.

I feel Vinny should head back to the 4th line and maybe read/raffl should play with G and Voracek.
I think everyone agrees here that Voracek needs more TOI.

The moment I heard Lecavalier was going back to the second line before the game even started I had a "noooooooooooooo" moment. Maybe it's just me that feels that way though.

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
Grossmann was one of our best defenseman last season. He wasn't really in the conversation to be benched until really the second half of the season. Mez, was a lot more than a third pairing defensemen prior to injuries, and played well in his last big chunk of games before going down. I was not ready to just call his career over because of an injury on his part and parts of three seasons of play from some other guy that ranged from slightly below average at times to slightly above average at times. That seems like terrible management and coaching. Gervais you are right was a #7 defender and I don't think I ever claimed him to be any more (maybe a #6?). I don't really remember my Gervais vs. Gus argument, but I imagine it went similar to the Mez argument...Gervais was a veteran #6/7 defenseman, you don't just all of the sudden lose a spot because a guy is younger than you and had a decent stretch of games spanning parts of a couple seasons. You have to earn your spot, and eventually he did.

Luke and Kimmo were both better last year, so Grossmann was maybe our 3rd best d-man, over a 30 game period, that's great. Mez played sheltered minutes, that was shown time and time again, so no he wasn't much more then a 3rd pairing d-men and that was before all of his injuries. Sure he could return to form (of being a good offensive d-man with sheltered minutes) but the few games he played in following is injuries showed he was worse then before. Most didn't advocate just sitting Mez immediately after his injuries. He played and sucked, then people suggested moving on. You don't keep trucking people out there because of what they used to be. That is horrible management and coaching.

Your argument of Gervais vs Gus was straight up, you said Gus is no better then Gervais which simply wasn't true.

Lol, no one ever said that? Going into training camp last season it was a foregone conclusion on these boards that Gus should be given the #6 spot over Mez because his 60 games made him a top 4 defender to some (if you don't remember people saying that, you will have to recall many saying that Gus was an unequivocally better player than Mez based on 60 games spread out over three seasons). I said from the beginnign that the job was Mez's and Gus had to earn it. If he had a better camp, start him. If Mez slumps, put him in. This POV was unacceptable and I was a fool because Gus was clearly the better player and it was Gus's job to lose, not the other way around.

Everyone knew Gus was gonna have to earn the spot. What was in question was who was the better player at that point, that is why people wanted Gus as the #6. Because they didn't believe Mez was the better option based on what they had seen from him most recently and what he was at his best. Guess what, it turned out they were correct. Not only did Gus play better then Mez defensively this season against harder competition but he also made Schenn better. And the offensive difference between the two wasn't all that significant to make up for Mez's struggles defensively.

Again, I think that is a perfectly reasonable statement to make given the timeframe in which it was made. Gus had played 30 games in his career. Unless they are a guy with a good pedigree who has lit up other leagues, I am not going to say he's better than anyone currently playing in the NHL based on 30 games of at best slightly better than average performances for PARTS of those 30 games. Now if you asked me to choose between Gus and Gervais, I'd go Gus every time. If you asked me after a brief stint in the NHL, I'd probably say what I think I said then...go with the veteran until he shows you something else or until the kid shows you something else.

Gus produced in college and the AHL, regardless of his lack of draft pedigree. He came up and played well in his limited NHL exposure, he was better then Gervais and that was undeniable to everyone but you. So no, I'd have to disagree, it wasn't a perfectly reasonable statement.

I'm done doing this with you. We both know where we each stand and I don't feel like getting carpal tunnel.

Last edited:

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
Comcast SportsNet ‏@CSNPhilly · 23m
Steve Mason has "no expectations" of starting Game 4. @SBaickerCSN has the story: http://******/w5tMl #FlyersTalk

Just name him the starter and stop ****ing around Berube !:rant:

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
I'm trying to be patient and not pass judgement, but this is becoming a nightmare.

Nothing surprises me with Berube anymore, Emery could start. I think in Mason's interview on Flyers app after the game, he appears pissed off that he didn't start.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Luke and Kimmo were both better last year, so Grossmann was maybe our 3rd best d-man, over a 30 game period, that's great. Mez played sheltered minutes, that was shown time and time again, so no he wasn't much more then a 3rd pairing d-men and that was before all of his injuries. Sure he could return to form (of being a good offensive d-man with sheltered minutes) but the few games he played in following is injuries showed he was worse then before. Most didn't advocate just sitting Mez immediately after his injuries. He played and sucked, then people suggested moving on. You don't keep trucking people out there because of what they used to be. That is horrible management and coaching.

I think you are remembering wrong. My only Mez vs. Gus argument was that the job was Mez's to lose because he has shown over a longer time period that he is the better player. I repeatedly said that if Gus won the job in camp I have no problem giving him the spot. The counter to that argument was that Gus had already won the job based on his 60 NHL games and Mez had lost the job based on his injury plagued previous season. That was something with which I did not (and still do not) agree. Mez was written off before the season started because Gus had earned the spot and even if he didn't he should be given first crack because he was better (based on 60 games over three NHL seasons and 11 games coming off an injury). Too small a sample size to write a guy off, and too small a sample size to say a guy is established.

Your argument of Gervais vs Gus was straight up, you said Gus is no better then Gervais which simply wasn't true.

I honestly don't remember saying that, but even if I did, it was likely after Gus had played in 30 NHL games over two seasons. I'd probably still stand by that. It was like my feelings on Akeson vs. Downie going in to the playoffs. If it were me, I would have started Downie. Why? because I haven't seen enough of Akeson at the NHL to say what he is. Outside of his blunder game one Akeson has played well. But that doesn't mean I'm an ******* for wanting to go with an established player (albeit a slumping one) over a wild card. Would the Flyers have won game one if Downie played? Who knows? But I'm always going to give deference to the guy that has been there before. Sometimes you'll be right, sometimes you'll be wrong, but the safest bet is to go with what you know.

Everyone knew Gus was gonna have to earn the spot.

That is far from what I recall. My recollection was that Gus HAD earned the spot going into the season.

What was in question was who was the better player at that point, that is why people wanted Gus as the #6. Because they didn't believe Mez was the better option based on what they had seen from him most recently and what he was at his best. Guess what, it turned out they were correct. Not only did Gus play better then Mez defensively this season against harder competition but he also made Schenn better. And the offensive difference between the two wasn't all that significant to make up for Mez's struggles defensively.

I'm no advanced stats experts, but Mez's CORSI rating appears to be better than Gus's, as does his QoC ratings. It looks like he had slightly more offensive zone starts than Gus, so I am not sure if you are accurate with what you are saying about the harder competition or playing better. You might be, I honestly don't know how to read these stats. Maybe you could site to something to clarify?

Gus produced in college and the AHL, regardless of his lack of draft pedigree. He came up and played well in his limited NHL exposure, he was better then Gervais and that was undeniable to everyone but you. So no, I'd have to disagree, it wasn't a perfectly reasonable statement.

I'm done doing this with you. We both know where we each stand and I don't feel like getting carpal tunnel.

:cry:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad