Post-Game Talk: PO Game #3 | Rangers 4 at Flyers 1

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I don't know, I don't think you could fault him for going with his starter. It's not like Emery even played that great in game 2, those 2 goals he let in weren't great. He made a couple saves that kept us in it, but that's whats expected come playoffs.

Uhm yes he did & no they weren't bad goals. It's ok to admit it.

He played bad last night & was a big reason for the loss though.

FLYERSFAN18

May 31, 2008
Pennsylvania
I wouldn't mind switching the forward lines to something like this

Schenn-Giroux-Simmonds (Giroux gets a winger who can find open spaces and has a good shot, Simmonds clears space for them)
Read-Couturier-Voracek (Voracek will get a lot of minutes with them and is good enough defensively, read and couturier have good shots as well)
Hartnell-Lecavalier-Akeson (Basically the left overs of the top 9, but hartnell and Akeson can help protect Vinny defensively. They get the least even strength minutes of the top 9)
Rinaldo-Raffl-Hall (add laughton to this line when his season ends)

as for the defense

MacD-Coburn
Grossmann-Streit
Timonen-Schenn

and if Berube gains a few brain cells over night

Timonen-Coburn
MacD-Streit
Gus-Schenn

blinds

Jan 5, 2012
Uhm yes he did & no they weren't bad goals. It's ok to admit it.

He played bad last night & was a big reason for the loss though.

What? They were terrible goals that he couldn't get over for because he can't move. They weren't ideal situations, but they were telegraphed and very manageable saves for a goalie that can move laterally. That put us behind, he's lucky the team bailed him out with 4 goals.

He kept us in it then on out, but that had more to do with the team playing excellent defense than his great goaltending. He made a couple great saves, that doesn't entirely make up for letting in a couple softies though. This is the playoffs,this isn't time for "well he should have had it, but it's okay" anymore.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
What? They were terrible goals that he couldn't get over for because he can't move. They weren't ideal situations, but they were telegraphed and very manageable saves for a goalie that can move laterally. That put us behind, he's lucky the team bailed him out with 4 goals.

He kept us in it then on out, but that had more to do with the team playing excellent defense than his great goaltending. He made a couple great saves, that doesn't entirely make up for letting in a couple softies though. This is the playoffs,this isn't time for "well he should have had it, but it's okay" anymore.

:laugh:

I don't think you really know what a soft goal looks like then if you think they were soft.

A good example of a soft goal would have been the first goal or the third goal he gave up last night.

It seems like your definition is any goal that ends up in the back of the net is soft.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

I don't think you really know what a soft goal looks like then if you think they were soft.

A good example of a soft goal would have been the first goal or the third goal he gave up last night.

It seems like your definition is any goal that ends up in the back of the net is soft.

Eh, I strongly disliked the 4th goal. It was a direct result of Emery needing to really open up his butterfly to push himself anywhere

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I can't even remember it to be honest but if you want to throw that in there be my guess I'm sure it's a hell of a better example of a soft goal than the two on Saturday.

Was Saturday the second game? I can't remember. These 15 year breaks between games make it hard to keep up with the series, who's still on the roster, whether the NHL even exists still, etc.

blinds

Jan 5, 2012

The second one was incredibly soft, the guy flubbed the shot and Emery was still too slow to get in the way. Everyone called him on that one.

The first one wasn't soft, but it was definitely manageable. It was clear the puck was going to St Louis, Emery saw it, but his pitiful attempt to get over gave Marty an open net to shoot at. If he could move, he had an excellent shot at making that save.

In the most recent game he had 3 awful goals he let in, which happened to be the difference that let the Rangers win. If he makes those saves to start the game, it's an entirely different game instead of having the Rangers turn into a shot-blocking defensive shell which let them kill any momentum home ice gave us.

The .888SV% says everything you need to know about Emery's performance so far. It's sad because Henrik has been a little leaky, with good goaltending we might have been able to steal Game 1 until Emery's slowness was exploited on the PP, and we were the better team in Game 3 while the goaltending was the difference.

PS I don't think we had any business winning game 1, but being tied with 10 minutes or so left, a good goalie could have gotten it to OT and we could've hoped for a lucky goal. Some people have become so conditioned to expect bad goaltending that they think a .888 save percentage is acceptable in the playoffs. Out of 10 goals against total, Emery is solely responsible for probably at least 5, and most of the others are his slowness being exposed.

Edit: And it's a .888 save percentage against the Rangers! They aren't even a playoff-caliber team offensively, ranked 18th. At least Quick and Bryzgalov have an excuse for their numbers playing against good offensive teams. Lundqvist is at .930 FWIW.

.888 guys. Imagine if Mason had been able to start this series, I bet it would look completely different. Even with really low expectations going into this, Emery has not been good.

Last edited:

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
The second one was incredibly soft, the guy flubbed the shot and Emery was still too slow to get in the way. Everyone called him on that one.

The first one wasn't soft, but it was definitely manageable. It was clear the puck was going to St Louis, Emery saw it, but his pitiful attempt to get over gave Marty an open net to shoot at. If he could move, he had an excellent shot at making that save.

In the most recent game he had 3 awful goals he let in, which happened to be the difference that let the Rangers win. If he makes those saves to start the game, it's an entirely different game instead of having the Rangers turn into a shot-blocking defensive shell which let them kill any momentum home ice gave us.

The .888SV% says everything you need to know about Emery's performance so far. It's sad because Henrik has been a little leaky, with good goaltending we might have been able to steal Game 1 until Emery's slowness was exploited on the PP, and we were the better team in Game 3 while the goaltending was the difference.

PS I don't think we had any business winning game 1, but being tied with 10 minutes or so left, a good goalie could have gotten it to OT and we could've hoped for a lucky goal.

People call him out for every goal he lets in on here so that's not exactly a great way justifying it.

I admitted he played horrible last night & was a big reason for the loss so I don't even know why you're bringing it up. However he was a big reason for the win on Sunday.

As for Game 1 I'm not even getting into hypotheticals, when you put up 15 shots with about one of them actually being a legit chance it's hard to even hint at goaltending.

You just have a hard time giving credit where it was due. It's pretty obvious.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010

PS I don't think we had any business winning game 1, but being tied with 10 minutes or so left, a good goalie could have gotten it to OT and we could've hoped for a lucky goal. Some people have become so conditioned to expect bad goaltending that they think a .888 save percentage is acceptable in the playoffs. Out of 10 goals against total, Emery is solely responsible for probably at least 5, and most of the others are his slowness being exposed.

Edit: And it's a .888 save percentage against the Rangers! They aren't even a playoff-caliber team offensively, ranked 18th. At least Quick and Bryzgalov have an excuse for their numbers playing against good offensive teams. Lundqvist is at .930 FWIW.

.888 guys. Imagine if Mason had been able to start this series, I bet it would look completely different. Emery has not been good.

So what you're saying is that Emery should have given up 1 goal in the past two games? :help:

On the whole, he hasn't played well, but this post is ridiculous.

blinds

Jan 5, 2012
People call him out for every goal he lets in on here so that's not exactly a great way justifying it.

I admitted he played horrible last night & was a big reason for the loss so I don't even know why you're bringing it up. However he was a big reason for the win on Sunday.

As for Game 1 I'm not even getting into hypotheticals, when you put up 15 shots with about one of them actually being a legit chance it's hard to even hint at goaltending.

You just have a hard time giving credit where it was due. It's pretty obvious.

So what you're saying is that Emery should have given up 1 goal in the past two games? :help:

On the whole, he hasn't played well, but this post is ridiculous.

The only thing he deserves credit for in this series is keeping us in it after we got a 3-2 lead in game 2. It's kinda washed out by him allowing the first two goals anyway, though, and it had more to do with the team playing great defense like we occasionally see when we play 60 minutes. I do give him credit though, he did what was needed of him and I remember at least one great save on a chance from the slot, but we'll need more consistent efforts than two good periods in three games.

I'm not saying he should have only let in one goal in the last two games, but we need a goalie who can keep us in one goal games and Emery clearly can't. Emery is making this Rangers offense look good when it isn't.

I mean Jesus Christ, go back and look at every goal against. You guys are giving him way too much credit for the win, that was a hard-fought team win. The game tying and game winning goals in Game 1 were on him for poor rebound control and slow lateral movement. Game 2 he starts off by letting in a terrible goal and an easily saveable goal (if you have hips). Game 3 he lets in an incredibly weak one to start off our home games that we never recovered from and then lets in another two weak goals for ****'s sake.

He's the reason we've had to play from behind for the past two games, and NYR is one of the last teams you want to be playing from behind against.

This guy is a terrible liability, and when your goalie is a liability in the playoffs, you lose.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad