GDT: PO Game #2 |Flyers at Rangers | Sun., Apr. 20, 2014 |12:00 p.m. ET

Status
Not open for further replies.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Which is why I said Gus instead go Grossmann or Gill. Who cares if we are smaller on the back end we actually have speed and puck movers. That's what we need this series not huge hulking d men. The Rangers are really not that physical anymore.

The Rangers scored majority of their goals in around the Flyers net last night. It's a problem & has been all year long for this team. The first goal of the night was a prime example of this, Couturier allowed Zuccerello a guy half his size a free pass to the net after Pouliot muscled his way in that close to set him up.

Their protection in front of the net is a joke as is & it's an era where Gus really struggles.

I don't care if they throw Gus out there but I'm not expecting much of difference to be honest, I think the Flyers will be lucky to take this one to 6 or 7 games with or without him.

Last edited:

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Giroux has 4 shots on goal in his 5 games against the Rangers this year, 0 in the last 3. McDonagh & Girardi really have had his number this year. If this trend continues past Game 2 Berube should just admit defeat & break the first line up. I would expect them to still key on Giroux but getting Voracek away may provide some more offense.

Akeson/Raffl - Giroux - Simmonds
Hartnell - Schenn - Voracek
Akeson/Raffl - Couturier - Read

Last edited:

blinds

Jan 5, 2012
Akeson was pretty much the best offensive player on the team last night. Certainly looked better than Lecavalier.

Maybe because he had twice the ice time and better linemates. For a team that is struggling to generate offense, we should be seeing more of Lecavalier. He's a defensive liability but not the way some people like to make it sound and the way Schenn's been playing he'd easily be the better 2C.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
Maybe because he had twice the ice time and better linemates. For a team that is struggling to generate offense, we should be seeing more of Lecavalier. He's a defensive liability but not the way some people like to make it sound and the way Schenn's been playing he'd easily be the better 2C.

Nope, that's not why.

Right from his first shift, Akeson was engaged and generating chances. He earned additional ice time because of his play.

For a team that is struggling to generate offense, you need to see more out of the players who are generating chances. That was Akeson last night. I wouldn't exactly mind flipping BSchenn and Lecavalier, but Akeson is not the guy to shut down if the goal is more offense.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Yeah, I saw nothing from Lecav that screamed "I need to be on the ice more." He and Schenn need to have much better games on Easter.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Yeah, I saw nothing from Lecav that screamed "I need to be on the ice more." He and Schenn need to have much better games on Easter.

Lecavelier hasn't done anything well in a long time so rewarding him with more ice time wouldn't make sense. Schenn isn't going to start improving until the lines are switched up, and that doesn't seem likely. Hopefully they can both find a way to contribute but I'm not expecting it. Giroux's line, Couturier's line, and the powerplay is all the offense we can expect so hopefully they can get their **** together quick. I'd love for Berube to be competent enough to get Grossmann out of the lineup, or at least severely limit his ice time, but I'd say there's a better chance of Schenn being the Conn Smythe winner.

I do have a good feeling about Sunday's game though, I feel like they're going to break the losing streak at MSG, tie up the series, and give themselves a ton of confidence. The players on this team, and especially Giroux, hate losing so much that they always bounce back after a bad loss, they've shown it all season and now is the perfect time for it.

FlyersFanz

aut viam inveniam au
Jan 26, 2010
BlkVanOutsideUrHouse
I hate to say it but put Downie in...he's a pest and might shake things up, there's a reason why Akeson is in the AHL.
The penalty killers have to step it up Flyers PK was so good this year and it was awful in the 3rd period...that or stay the **** out of the sin bin.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
I hate to say it but put Downie in...he's a pest and might shake things up, there's a reason why Akeson is in the AHL.
The penalty killers have to step it up Flyers PK was so good this year and it was awful in the 3rd period...that or stay the **** out of the sin bin.

Rangers showed they aren't going to fall for that stuff

OrangeAndBlackMetal

Dark Wizard of the Black Cascade
Aug 14, 2009
Reykjavík
Holy moly; few things are worse than when Howard eskin tries to talk like he knows something about hockey.

Some of the talking points;
Claude Giroux doesn't score many goals
He's an ok player, but not a superstar
He's the best player in the flyers and that's all
He's not a player than can carry a team
He's not good in the playoffs

Aaaaaand now I'm listening to music instead

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Holy moly; few things are worse than when Howard eskin tries to talk like he knows something about hockey.

Some of the talking points;
Claude Giroux doesn't score many goals
He's an ok player, but not a superstar
He's the best player in the flyers and that's all
He's not a player than can carry a team
He's not good in the playoffs

Aaaaaand now I'm listening to music instead

Eskin's a troll, he talks down to every team in this city sans the Eagles because they pay him.

He used to do it with the Phils a couple of years ago when they were easily the best team in the city & one of the best teams in their sport.

The Eagles can be absolute garbage & he has every excuse in the world for them, it's kind of funny.

Daniel Plainview

Jan 8, 2012
Dracut MA
Come on Philly. You're my back up plan, in case some disaster befalls MY team

This may sound weird, because I'm a Bruins fan, but I've really come to like this Flyers team the last few seasons. They're never out of a game or a series. They stick up for each other. They make life miserable for the Penguins. What's not to like?

They're pretty similar to the Bruins, in a lot of ways. So here's hoping they take care of the Rangers and move on. I would LOVE another Flyers/Pens series this year

usahockey22flyers

2 years away from being 2 years away
Nov 9, 2009
Philly
Did the Flyers play game 6 of the 2011 Buffalo series on Easter?

Ville Leino won that in OT? Or did he tie it late to send it to OT?

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT

Is he even available? I think I read somewhere he was listed as day-to-day with an upper body injury again... sorry, can't find the source right now.

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada
Dave Isaac ‏@davegisaac 1m
Ray Emery will start Game 2

ugh.. well that pretty much cements an early summer of no hockey..

sorry but Emery aint carrying this team throu this series, he just isnt..

sounds like by the time Mason gets back it'll be wayyy to late in this lopsided series:help:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad